PDA

View Full Version : Question: Do estro. hormones make you permanently sterile?

ARMANIXXX
10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong,

Taking hormones for years can/will turn your semen from clear to white.

If you stop taking hormones will your semen turn back to normal white?

Nowhere
10-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I did some research on this, and for what I could see, there's been no proper scientific study on this ever done.

It would have to be done per each type of anti-androgen, estrogen, progesterone, etc - and not a single one has been tested for long-term sterility effects, before during and after usage and / or discontinuation.

Everything that's known of their sterility side-effects has been from people's personal use and word of mouth.

Supposedly Mia Fever had a child after the use of hormones to some degree (http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=14781), but I don't know if it's from stored reserves (prior to use) or not...

Shining Star
10-13-2007, 05:08 AM
I did some research on this, and for what I could see, there's been no proper scientific study on this ever done.

It would have to be done per each type of anti-androgen, estrogen, progesterone, etc - and not a single one has been tested for long-term sterility effects, before during and after usage and / or discontinuation.

Everything that's known of their sterility side-effects has been from people's personal use and word of mouth.

Supposedly Mia Fever had a child after the use of hormones to some degree (http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=14781), but I don't know if it's from stored reserves (prior to use) or not...If is speaking of estrogen as "hormones" then yes if taken in proper amounts for a period of time will render a male sterile, or at the very least suffer from a low to very low sperm count.

It is possible to produce semen that does not contain sperm. Indeed many men for years have been "shooting blanks" and didn't know it, until a fertility test informs them of the problem.

Anyone who claims to have researched the matter but couldn't find any reliable information, should search again, because it is widely known and accepted by the medical community that taking female hormones will render a male sterile. If a trannie starts taking estrogen young, say before she has finished puberty the "damage" can be greater and never likely to be reversed; mainly because the cells needed to produce sperm never fully mature, and once puberty has past there isn't a way (at the moment), to make them do so.

Many transgender clinics or doctors who deal with MTF transgender patients, advice them to store their sperm before commencing hormone treatment in case they wish to sire children later in life.

Just as with everything else, every person's body is different and how fast a male/trannie taking estrogen will become sterile depends upon many factors. However, make no mistake, long term and continued use of estrogen at a proper dose will cause a loss of sperm production that cannot be reversed. The usual amount of time is three months to one year, but again everyone is different.

Some trannies either knowingly or not keep their estrogen dosage low enough to prevent sterility. This can be done by say by cycling on or off estrogen, which can happen for host of reasons; such as a desire not to loose erectile/ejaculate function, or simply not being able to afford or have access to a steady supply of estrogen.

Anyone seriously considering starting estrogen, should talk to their doctor about any future plans regarding children. If one has already started taking estrogen, a simple lab fertility test (sperm count), will tell if you are sterile or not. In many large cities there are local drop off lab collection stations (sperm must be tested within about one to two hours of production), so you don't have to go worry about going to a fertility clinic and feeling uncomfortable.

There are ways of extracting sperm from the testicles in cases of low sperm count, but there has to be sperm production to make it worth the effort.

SS

justatransgirl
10-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Do hormones make you sterile?

God I hope so...

Seems to be working so far. :-)

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

Nowhere
10-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Supposedly Mia Fever had a child after the use of hormones to some degree (http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=14781), but I don't know if it's from stored reserves (prior to use) or not...If is speaking of estrogen as "hormones" then yes if taken in proper amounts for a period of time will render a male sterile, or at the very least suffer from a low to very low sperm count.

It is possible to produce semen that does not contain sperm. Indeed many men for years have been "shooting blanks" and didn't know it, until a fertility test informs them of the problem.

Anyone who claims to have researched the matter but couldn't find any reliable information, should search again, because it is widely known and accepted by the medical community that taking female hormones will render a male sterile. If a trannie starts taking estrogen young, say before she has finished puberty the "damage" can be greater and never likely to be reversed; mainly because the cells needed to produce sperm never fully mature, and once puberty has past there isn't a way (at the moment), to make them do so.

Many transgender clinics or doctors who deal with MTF transgender patients, advice them to store their sperm before commencing hormone treatment in case they wish to sire children later in life.

Just as with everything else, every person's body is different and how fast a male/trannie taking estrogen will become sterile depends upon many factors. However, make no mistake, long term and continued use of estrogen at a proper dose will cause a loss of sperm production that cannot be reversed. The usual amount of time is three months to one year, but again everyone is different.

Some trannies either knowingly or not keep their estrogen dosage low enough to prevent sterility. This can be done by say by cycling on or off estrogen, which can happen for host of reasons; such as a desire not to loose erectile/ejaculate function, or simply not being able to afford or have access to a steady supply of estrogen.

Anyone seriously considering starting estrogen, should talk to their doctor about any future plans regarding children. If one has already started taking estrogen, a simple lab fertility test (sperm count), will tell if you are sterile or not. In many large cities there are local drop off lab collection stations (sperm must be tested within about one to two hours of production), so you don't have to go worry about going to a fertility clinic and feeling uncomfortable.

There are ways of extracting sperm from the testicles in cases of low sperm count, but there has to be sperm production to make it worth the effort.

SS

Then show me a single article proving that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't found anything accurately reliable by MY definition.

The main problem I have with what you said is that what I understood is that anti-androgens cause sterility (hence the reason chemical castration is done by drugs like casodex which have zero estrogen in it), not estrogen.

And, while estrogen itself is an anti-androgen, it is nowhere close to as strong as engineered androgens.

But, please, i'm all ears. If it's so well known, i'm quite sure you can pull together a link to an article in no time.

Remember, i'm not saying that what you're saying is false or wrong, just that I haven't found something reputable enough, on a drug-by-drug basis to prove that it's correct.

Shining Star
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM

SS

Then show me a single article proving that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't found anything accurately reliable by MY definition.

The main problem I have with what you said is that what I understood is that anti-androgens cause sterility (hence the reason chemical castration is done by drugs like casodex which have zero estrogen in it), not estrogen.

And, while estrogen itself is an anti-androgen, it is nowhere close to as strong as engineered androgens.

But, please, i'm all ears. If it's so well known, i'm quite sure you can pull together a link to an article in no time.

Remember, i'm not saying that what you're saying is false or wrong, just that I haven't found something reputable enough, on a drug-by-drug basis to prove that it's correct.It all comes town to testosterone production, which if surpressed greatly enough and for long periods of time will cause spermatogenesis to slow or in cases cease all together. This is due to the cells that produce sprem and testosterone slowing or stopping their work under the influence of estrogen/anti-testosterone. Just testicles and male organs decrease in size under the influence of estorgen, so do internal cells of the male reproductive tract. Once these cells/systems have gone beyond a certian point, there is no way to day to "restart" them again.

Since every male is different, it is not possible to give an exact level of tesosterone where if dropped below, sperm production will become imparied and or cease. Indeed many trans do not see a doctor for their hormones, nor have routine lab work that gives serum blood levels of male hormones. Many also take large amounts of estrogen under the belief that it will make them more feminine faster, which is not true. However since the human endrocrine endocrine system is very complex and to a large extent works on feedback, large doses of female hormones for a long period of time more likely than not will result in sterility.

It is important to remember a male does not have to be totally sterile to be infertile. If a man's sperm count is low to very low, his chances of fathering a child via natural means decreases to the point of at times being almost nil. So a MTF trans taking hormones may indeed not be sterile, but have such a low sperm count that again, fathering children naturally is just not going to happen easily.

You asked for sources, read below. If you want to know more, contact Dr. Walter Futterweit in New York City. He is an endocrinologist, who has worked with and researched transgendered persons and hormones for years now, and considered an expert. His office visits are not cheap, and do not know if he will answer your questions over the phone/via mail. You can also seek out his work.

Page 22:
http://www.vch.ca/transhealth/resources/library/tcpdocs/guidelines-primcare.pdf

http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/resources/tmf_program/tmf_program_6.asp

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/glbt/transmedical.htm

page 189:
http://php.ucsf.edu/PatientEd/MedicalCareofTransexualpts.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone_replacement_therapy_(trans)#Irreversible_c hanges_2