PDA

View Full Version : how many of u all are tired of oversized avatars ?

hwbs
10-08-2007, 02:36 AM
enough is enough guys and girls....don't act like u don't know how to re-size them....... :evil:

saifan
10-08-2007, 02:42 AM
(raises hand)

Willie Escalade
10-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Mine has a maximum width of 200 pixels (height doesn't matter). Is that too big?

Bigguy
10-08-2007, 03:07 AM
Yep, don't like those really wide ones. Combined with some pictures in a topic, gotta scroll left and right too much.

I did some pixel counting a while back and determined that anything over 144 pixels wide will start to make message area shrink.

Kriss
10-08-2007, 03:07 AM
:rock2

Cyclops
10-08-2007, 03:11 AM
Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 90 pixels, the height no greater than 90 pixels, and the file size no more than 15 KB.

both hollywoodbuckstrap's & Willie Escalade's Avatars excede these limits,as do almost all the avatars that I've seem on hese forums

I feel that the rules need to be strictly enforced by the mods here.

tsntx
10-08-2007, 03:20 AM
i disagree w/ cyclops... hollywoods avatar is perfect.... 90/90 is too small but some of the pics around here... stupidly huge -j

Coroner
10-08-2007, 03:24 AM
The ass on your avatar is oversized, hollywood. :twisted:

BeardedOne
10-08-2007, 03:27 AM
So, what you're saying is: Size matters. :D

Felicia Katt
10-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Mine has a maximum width of 200 pixels (height doesn't matter). Is that too big?
For any other girl but Betty it would be :) Is that from last Friday?

meow
FK

tonkatoy
10-08-2007, 03:34 AM
I guess mines' too big, at least that's what she said....

alphanumeric
10-08-2007, 03:40 AM
all I know is that Coroners creeps me the hell out :lol:

Foreskin
10-08-2007, 03:42 AM
ABSOLUTELY SICK AND FUCKING TIRED OF IT> CAN WE NOT CLICK A BUTTON AND STOP IT FOR OURSELVES> PAGES WOULD LOAD FASTER

alphanumeric
10-08-2007, 03:43 AM
deleted double post

hondarobot
10-08-2007, 03:43 AM
This has nothing to do with avatars, but it is relevant, following the Thread Jack rule.

I was just talking to a friend of mine today and she brought up that she wanted to go see Ian McKellen in King Lear at the Guthrie (he's in town right now). I made the comment "It's King Lear, how many times does that play need to be re-done?" and I generally don't like getting dragged to see plays anyways. I'd rather read them.

She said: "It's Ian McKellen. He could just stand on stage and do nothing and it would be great theatre".

That would be kinda funny. A great actor performing a play, simply by standing on stage and facially emoting the various scenes. No dialog or action. That would be interesting.

Actually, it would be pretty damn stupid, I guess. Eh?

:)

Cyclops
10-08-2007, 03:46 AM
i disagree w/ cyclops... hollywoods avatar is perfect.... 90/90 is too small but some of the pics around here... stupidly huge -j

regardless of how any of us feel about the size being too small it is the rule , and should be adhered to

if people are allowed to break one rule then they will expect to get away with breaking other rules.this road leads to anarchy

moderators need to convince membership that they will enforce the rules from the beginning.this rule has not been enforced and as time has gone on the infractions (avatar sizes)have gotten larger and larger.

some havegotten to the point of being larger than the posts they are attached to. the only way to stop this now is full and complete enforcement .to allow even the smallest will cause some to say " why me and not him( or her as the case may be)"

rick_932
10-08-2007, 03:48 AM

if your avi horizontally stretches the page, then odds are its too big. i think youre safe with your current one.

and yea, im tired of the huge avatars

Coroner
10-08-2007, 03:51 AM

:lol:

Hey, I´m not focused on hollywood´s invisible ass. Look at that black lady´s massive ass. Hollywood is a man of taste.

hwbs
10-08-2007, 03:53 AM
there are 20000 or so members ...its about everybody pitching in and doing their part ..there are ones 3inx3in.. 3x4...and larger ....it makes a lot of threads unreadable...

hwbs
10-08-2007, 03:54 AM

Hey, I´m not focused on hollywood´s invisible ass. Look at that black lady´s massive ass. Hollywood is a man of taste.

thxs coroner :lol:

rick_932
10-08-2007, 03:59 AM
i wonder how many know their avatars are too big and just dont give a fuck

Cyclops
10-08-2007, 04:04 AM
hey hollywood , a good place to start might be for you mods to set a good example by following the rules yourselves

your is 133x200 ,rule says 90x90

when others see yours they think " if he can do that why can't I"

btw I speak from experience as a moderator and admin of a forum.

Quinn
10-08-2007, 04:09 AM
it makes a lot of threads unreadable...

That about says it all.

-Quinn

Willie Escalade
10-08-2007, 05:11 AM

meow
FK
Actually the Friday before last. Nadia hasn't sent me the pictures we took last Friday yet.

I do know my avatar doesn't fit within the rules; 90x90 is just too small for me. One can't really see the detail in certain pictures. Now, a max width of 150 pixels would be better. That's about average for other phB forums I'm a member of. The height of the avatar shouldn't matter.

Willie Escalade
10-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Here's my current avatar within the rules; below is my current one for comparison. Quite a difference, huh? :lol:

Jericho
10-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Also, pictures in sigs and animated gifs :shrug
[not having a pop at you specifically, Willie, they just annoy the piss outta me in general] :lol:

Ecstatic
10-08-2007, 05:58 AM
I agree with Hollywoodbuckstrap, and also with Bigguy's assessment: a max width of 144 pixels makes sense. Absolute max should be 200. Unless you're browsing the forum on a 24" plasma, anything bigger is too big, unless the forum software supports variable widths in the avatar column (which some forum s/w does, but phpBB does not).

rickie
10-08-2007, 06:47 AM
I am.

Supernice but....Hollywod, who is she... it's not oversized...

hwbs
10-08-2007, 07:38 AM
hey hollywood , a good place to start might be for you mods to set a good example by following the rules yourselves

why dont u stfu and go back in your hole...put the internet tape measurer away while u are at it

Realgirls4me
10-08-2007, 07:57 AM
it makes a lot of threads unreadable...

That about says it all.

-Quinn

Ditto. It's akin to someone selfishly taking up two parking spaces at your neighborhood 7/11, thus pushing your car off to park in the street. The irony is that some of the biggest avatars are actually some of the simplest and non-complex (the huge yellow round Wal-Mart face comes to mind), and therefore not needed or conducive with large size. Without getting into pixel-speak and such, Quinn's and BigGuy's, are about as wide as we should go, with Felicia's capping the length.

It's about time someone brought this up. You gave 'em an inch, and it's become a mile. :(

Cyclops
10-08-2007, 11:53 AM

why dont u stfu and go back in your hole...put the internet tape measurer away while u are at it

nice response for a mod to give to someone who is pointing out a violation of forum rules.

Balcanoid
10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
I`m also against oversized avatars. Why can shrinking be done automatically by software support? That avoid human error...

justatransgirl
10-08-2007, 11:56 PM
2" X 2" is more than enough - that's why we have other places to put photos.

Also photo uploads that are so wide you have to scroll the screen back and forth to read stuff is a pain.

Just my opinion.

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

NYCe
10-09-2007, 12:37 AM
The 90x90 avatar isn't a HA rule, its built into the forum software. We used to have automatic avatar resizing but it made the boards run slow.

Not sure why people don't use common sense in picking reasonable sized avatars but alas this is HungAngels.

BeardedOne
10-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Not sure why people don't use common sense in picking reasonable sized avatars but alas this is HungAngels.

Did you say "...common scents..."? :lol:

Ecstatic
10-09-2007, 01:10 AM
The 90x90 avatar isn't a HA rule, its built into the forum software.
80x80 is the phpBB default size, but you can change this value in the admin settings to whatever you want. Of course, this only affects local (uploaded) avatars.

We used to have automatic avatar resizing but it made the boards run slow.
There is a mod that limits the size of externally linked avatars, but yes, it would add CPU load to the system.

Common scents often smells bad. :P

peggygee
10-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Also photo uploads that are so wide you have to scroll the screen back and forth to read stuff is a pain.

Just my opinion.

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

Key reason why I always format my responses thusly. As you stated it
is cumbersome to have to scroll back and forth to read a post.

And as my posts are often somewhat lengthy, if I want them to have a
snow-ball's chance in hell I enter them like this.

It may also be a carry-over from the days of typing on a manual type-writer.

:shrug

tsntx
10-09-2007, 03:09 AM

regardless of how any of us feel about the size being too small it is the rule , and should be adhered to

if people are allowed to break one rule then they will expect to get away with breaking other rules.this road leads to anarchy

moderators need to convince membership that they will enforce the rules from the beginning.this rule has not been enforced and as time has gone on the infractions (avatar sizes)have gotten larger and larger.

some havegotten to the point of being larger than the posts they are attached to. the only way to stop this now is full and complete enforcement .to allow even the smallest will cause some to say " why me and not him( or her as the case may be)"

couldnt agree more

hwbs
10-09-2007, 03:03 PM
The 90x90 avatar isn't a HA rule, its built into the forum software. We used to have automatic avatar resizing but it made the boards run slow.

so cyclops go suck a dick u fucking hall monitor...

Quinn
10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
If people are allowed to break one rule then they will expect to get away with breaking other rules.this road leads to anarchy

It's anarchy I tell ya. Pure anarchy!!!

-Quinn

Cyclops
10-10-2007, 01:59 AM

so cyclops go suck a dick u fucking hall monitor...

And you call yourself a moderator!

Whose dick did you suck to get that title

if you were a real moderator you would be enforcing the rules,not encougaging others to break those rules!

BeardedOne
10-10-2007, 02:23 AM
And you call yourself a moderator!

Whose dick did you suck to get that title

Ooh!

He call you "Cocksuckah"!

NadiaUSA
10-10-2007, 05:48 AM

meow
FK
Actually the Friday before last. Nadia hasn't sent me the pictures we took last Friday yet.

I do know my avatar doesn't fit within the rules; 90x90 is just too small for me. One can't really see the detail in certain pictures. Now, a max width of 150 pixels would be better. That's about average for other phB forums I'm a member of. The height of the avatar shouldn't matter.

The pics I took are up from Friday Oct 5th.

Regards,
Nadia

Willie Escalade
10-10-2007, 08:07 AM
The pics I took are up from Friday Oct 5th.

Regards,
Nadia
...and they are looking great! http://otola.net/thumbsup.gif

THETRUTH
10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Where is the idiot with that giant animation of a woman shitting a gallon of semen?

hwbs
10-10-2007, 02:07 PM
its not a rule..when that was posted it was the rule when the forum opened..if u tried to load a huge avatar u got an error message..u want me to right click on tens of thousands of avatars to check pixels ..get a fucking life...u do it make a list and post it on here of every member... i will gladly quit and never click on this site...then u can be the cocksucking mod..

BrendaQG
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Oversized avatars are annoying. However there is the fact that what is considered oversized depends on the resolution of your monitor.

Wombat
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I will gladly reduce the size of my avatar if someone tells me how to do it. BTW, why can't we upload an image from our own computer to use as an avatar? Or have I missed something? I have a few that would be "legal size". Practically every other site I am a member of allows you to upload an avatar from your hard-drive.

Regards

Dave

lewdguppy
10-12-2007, 12:21 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/6930/eaaa0fe9e4ps5.jpg
there you go, mate
75%

I use irfanview. easy to use, even for a nob like me (I can be terribly clumsy with software)
Irfan's freeware, check it out

btw the pic might be gone, I dunno if imageshack will tolerate raunchy pix. but there's loads that do.

:wink:

edit: crap. it doesn't link.

anyway, go get irfanview, open your picture with it on your desktop (rightclick), go > image > resize and fill in the percentage or number of pixels you like.

btw FWIW I too don't like huge avatars, luckily they're easily disabled.