PDA

View Full Version : Transsexual Cop in Furore

Wombat
10-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi all;

Thought this might be of some interest. From todays Sunday Telegraph, a local paper here in Sydney.

Regards;

Dave

A TRANSSEXUAL police officer has caused a ruckus in the ranks of Victoria's police force because she insists on using female facilities.

Other female officers have had run-ins with the cop, who used to be a man, since she declared herself a lesbian.

They are uneasy because the trailblazing constable insists on still using the female change rooms, showers and toilets.

Constable Bernice Canty, who has had a male-to-female operation, graduated from the academy three years ago.

Angry female cops working with the 180cm-tall, broad-shouldered officer want her to use the disabled facilities.

Constable Canty was moved two months ago from the Boroondara station at Kew to the Croydon station.

The upset policewomen said they did not make formal complaints because sexism was already rampant in the force.

Constable Canty would not comment on the claims, saying that details of where she changed were private and a matter for her.

However a source at that station said there had been disagreements over the controversial recruit.
The Police Association said all members' rights would have to be considered in a review of any formal complaint.

"The members' interests would have to be looked after as much as Bernice's interests,'' said secretary Paul Mullet.
"There are laws where we could possibly be losing sight of the practical implications. We have to ask, are we going too far with those laws?''

Earlier Mr Mullet had described the prospect of a transsexual officer as "mind-boggling'' but has since been wary of discrimination laws.

Constable Canty said there had been a couple of issues since moving to Croydon but they had been sorted out.

The senior sergeant at her new station, where she is working the late shift, said there were no problems.

A source suggested Constable Canty may temporarily be using her new station's disabled toilets.

The pioneering recruit graduated in October, 2004.

She was hailed as reflective of a diverse community and organisation by Assistant Commissioner Paul Evans.

Willie Escalade
10-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Geez...if she is a good cop, what difference does it make where she changes her clothes and relieves herself at?! :soapbox

tsntx
10-07-2007, 11:42 AM
what about the fact that as a cop/ public servant she should be respected? this article totally DISRESPECTS HER AS A PERSON AND AS A POLICE OFFICER.... disgusting.

"working with the 180cm-tall, broad-shouldered officer "

Wombat
10-07-2007, 01:38 PM
what about the fact that as a cop/ public servant she should be respected? this article totally DISRESPECTS HER AS A PERSON AND AS A POLICE OFFICER.... disgusting.

I couldn't agree more...

Willie Escalade
10-07-2007, 06:24 PM

I agree with this statement as well.

Wombat
10-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Well, cudos to the Victorian police as an organisation in allowing trassexuals to join up.

Even our military here in Australia has a policy in place to cover recruitment of transsexuals.

Regards,

Wombat

justatransgirl
10-13-2007, 06:12 AM
Hey Wombat - your post not clear - does the Australian Military allow or disallow TS's?

As for the bathroom issue - it's ridiculous. But there's no point in hashing it out here - we ought to be doing in in Victoria.

The bathroom issues almost always seem to be in situations where people transition on the job and homophobes freak out. I knew a girl who worked for a lumberyeard and transitioned on the job - they BUILT her a separate bathroom - to me that's as discriminatory as being refused access to the ladies room.

I've never run into a bathroom situation myself and I would be outraged and shocked if anyone said anything - but this is still a BIG issue and points to yet another reason we mus get the ENDA passed.

ENDA doesn't give bathroom protections, but it's a major step toward full equal rights in many areas.

Hugs and solidarity!
TS Jamie :-)

Wombat
10-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey Wombat - your post not clear - does the Australian Military allow or disallow TS's?

As for the bathroom issue - it's ridiculous. But there's no point in hashing it out here - we ought to be doing in in Victoria.

Hugs and solidarity!
TS Jamie :-)

Mmmm, yes your right. The military allows recruitment of TS, so long as they pass all the physical, mental and education requirements. Open policy on gays too, the ADF has even set in place an internal support network for all it gay members.

To date, no TS has joined the military. I'm not sure if that is because they aren't aware of it, or the lifestyle dosen't appeal.

Regards,

Wombat