Night Rider
10-29-2007, 07:00 PM
is it that big of an insult???

loki
10-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Yes.

Night Rider
10-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I didn't really think about it. Where I live [Northern Ireland] the Irish try to put up Rep. of Ireland flags. Fucks me off big style. But the relationship between the two countries is bitter. Is that the way it is with USA and Mexico?

loki
10-30-2007, 03:11 AM
I didn't really think about it. Where I live [Northern Ireland] the Irish try to put up Rep. of Ireland flags. Fucks me off big style. But the relationship between the two countries is bitter. Is that the way it is with USA and Mexico?
Yes.

Night Rider
10-30-2007, 03:34 AM
I love ur in depth answers!!

blckhaze
10-30-2007, 05:46 AM
I love ur in depth answers!!

LOL.

well i dun know all the details of this story, but it can be insulting to have your flag flown under another. Its not like we hate mexico, just something that is a show of power over the other. personally i could care less, as if any one had a real choice, mexico would be another state :P that way everyone get what they want.

catpower
10-30-2007, 06:04 AM

The thing about Northern Ireland and the Republic are that they may be two different places, but the people are the same. (Am I right?) Meaning, they are all Irish. I understand that one is Catholic and the other Protestant, and that one is loyal to the crown and the other is not. But ethnically and historically, they are the same people. (If I am wrong, please correct me.)

With Mexico and the US, you have two very different peoples with different cultures. In the US, people have a lot of pride in the flag and what it represents. With everything going on these days between the two countries, such a move was a total and deliberate insult.

I was very happy what the man did. And he even has the freedom fighter's beard, ala John Brown, to back it up!

trish
10-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Mexico another state!!!!! Are you out of your ever lovin' mind????? The u.s. should join Mexico. Then everyone would have all the good shit they can smoke. :)

Flags are just rags. Get over it.

Oli
10-30-2007, 06:52 AM
The thing about Northern Ireland and the Republic are that they may be two different places, but the people are the same. (Am I right?) Meaning, they are all Irish. I understand that one is Catholic and the other Protestant, and that one is loyal to the crown and the other is not. But ethnically and historically, they are the same people. (If I am wrong, please correct me.)

Your not wrong, it's just that your simplification makes it look more harmonious then it really is. Historically and ethnically, there are differences. Protestent Northerners are of Scottish, Welsh or English descent, and have tended not to assimilate into the Irish population.

And John Brown, to me, was a deranged religious zealot and a terrorist, not a hero.

hippifried
10-30-2007, 07:25 AM
yawn...

blckhaze
10-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Mexico another state!!!!! Are you out of your ever lovin' mind????? The u.s. should join Mexico. Then everyone would have all the good shit they can smoke. :)

Flags are just rags. Get over it.

LOL

catpower
10-30-2007, 12:37 PM

Your not wrong, it's just that your simplification makes it look more harmonious then it really is. Historically and ethnically, there are differences. Protestent Northerners are of Scottish, Welsh or English descent, and have tended not to assimilate into the Irish population.

And John Brown, to me, was a deranged religious zealot and a terrorist, not a hero.

I know that it is not harmonious over there. That is a given. My point was to go into every detail of Northern Ireland and the Republic (trust me, I lived with an Irish family, I was taught a lesson or two), but to emphasize the fact that the two have much more in common with one another than the US and Mexico. The former two nations would be more like India and Pakistan with the latter two being more like Iraq and Iran.

And your opinion of John Brown is fine. A terrorist to one is a freedom fighter to another.

Night Rider
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM

We are the same race obviously, but there is far more hatred between the countries than between USA and Mexico. Things have settled down BIG TIME over the last 5-10 years or so. I'm british, not Irish, there is a difference but i'm not secterian. I have Catholic friends and have had Catholic gf's. Religion is a much bigger issue than race over here. There were thousands killed over the last 50 years over their religion. Go to youtube and check out the N.I troubles, but it's mostly censored.

The fucked up thing about our country is now terrorists run it! Our polititions are 80% ex paramilitaries from U.D.A, U.V.F, I.R.A, I.N.L.A. Even the mp for education is an ex I.R.A murderer. It's a joke...

catpower
10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
That's pretty crazy.

tsmandy
10-30-2007, 07:31 PM
The US invaded Mexico in the 1840's in order to preserve slavery, proceeded to annex half of the mexican territory illegally as conditions of a ceasefire which the US then promptly violated (the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo) and for the last 150 years Anglo immigrants have worked on criminalizing Mexican and indigenous people on their own land. This of course has meant a super-exploitable population, that can be conveniently scapegoated whenever public attention focuses too much on rampant corruption and greed amongst the ranks of the powerful.

Americans are notoriously ignorant when it comes to history. Don't expect a lick of integrity or sense when it comes to this topic.

Night Rider
10-30-2007, 08:49 PM
The US invaded Mexico...

You'd be quicker telling people who the US 'didn't invade :lol:

The people are cool, but the government is beyond a joke...

Interesting stuff though Mandy, i didn't know that.

loki
10-30-2007, 08:54 PM
The US invaded Mexico in the 1840's in order to preserve slavery, proceeded to annex half of the mexican territory illegally as conditions of a ceasefire which the US then promptly violated (the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo) and for the last 150 years Anglo immigrants have worked on criminalizing Mexican and indigenous people on their own land. This of course has meant a super-exploitable population, that can be conveniently scapegoated whenever public attention focuses too much on rampant corruption and greed amongst the ranks of the powerful.

Americans are notoriously ignorant when it comes to history. Don't expect a lick of integrity or sense when it comes to this topic.

Wrong. They attacked us and we went to war and defeated them. Read a history book. I have provided a link with a brief history to help you. http://www.lone-star.net/mall/texasinfo/mexicow.htm

catpower
10-31-2007, 04:32 AM

You are spot on, actually. The issue between the US and Mexico is very comlplicated and quite embarassing, actually, especially taking into consideration the annexation of Texas and California. The whole flag issue is politically charged and there are emotions (and large amounts of hypocracy) running on both sides.

tsmandy
10-31-2007, 04:46 AM
Wrong. They attacked us and we went to war and defeated them. Read a history book. I have provided a link with a brief history to help you. http://www.lone-star.net/mall/texasinfo/mexicow.htm

Yawn.....

Oh right, the Mexicans invaded the US to preserve slavery. My bad.