PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see the program on MSNBC tonight about the t-girl?

justatransgirl
10-03-2007, 07:12 AM
I stumbled across a program tonight on MSNBC dealing with street youth/young adults.

One of the people was a transgendered girl around 19-21 in Chicago.

Is this a rerun?

What I found interesting is how despite community support, housing, etc. She was unable to stay out of trouble (bringing pay dates into the house was apparently the last straw) and was forced to leave. Her option was to sleep on the streets of Chicago in the winter, enter a shelter as a man - she was denied access to a womans shelter, or eventually a relative apparently took her in. The people in the housing program actually suggested she return to being a man, remove the wig, the eye shadow, etc.

Here is the root problem as I see it, at least regarding the trans community - the very people who want (and are paid) to help often times appear unaccepting and uncaring. I mean how in the hell do you put a girl on the street in a Chicago winter, even if she screws up real bad. What you do is tighten her supervision, increase her activities and access to education so she doesn't have time for ghetto friends. You introduce her to an environment that is beneficial not toss her to the wolves.

But it's the same everywhere - here in San Diego we have a private "GLBT Youth Housing Project" a 24 bed - 4 million dollar facility - located TWO BLOCKS from the CRACK/METH ZONE.

I mean what kind of idiots plan these things? Place "at risk" GLBT youth right smack in the middle of the ghetto and expect them to somehow climb out? Sheesh. I can see why these programs don't work. What's the choice. Sit in the youth house eating donated food, or cycle down two blocks and sell some meth, or your ass.

And 4 million dollars for 24 beds? That's $165,000.00 each. Christ, our condo in a guarded resort complex only cost $180,000.

Oh well, nobody asked my opinion... it's just sad that nobody outside our community seems to "get it." And most of us aren't in the position to make any effective change.

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-)

TJT
10-03-2007, 07:33 AM
That's the way it is everywhere. The shelters for runaways are always in Cracktown.

NewYorker
10-03-2007, 07:36 AM
A lot of the homes here in NYC have their residents sign contracts that say they won't do certain things and in order to stay in the home they have to abide by that contract. I didn't see the piece you were talking about but perhaps it was a similiar situation there.

Legend
10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Here is the root problem as I see it, at least regarding the trans community - the very people who want (and are paid) to help often times appear unaccepting and uncaring.

I watched the same program and they really seemed to care about that girl because after she acted like a fool with her roommate they gave her another chance and after that she got caught bringing cleints to the apartment they provided for her.She seemed like she really didn't care enough to put effort into keeping her apartment,you can only go as far as you want too.

justatransgirl
10-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I watched the same program and they really seemed to care about that girl because after she acted like a fool with her roommate they gave her another chance and after that she got caught bringing cleints to the apartment they provided for her.She seemed like she really didn't care enough to put effort into keeping her apartment,you can only go as far as you want too.

Yes - exactly my point. It's like the old saying, "you can lead a horse to water..."

And I didn't mean to imply the social workers didn't seem caring, just I got the impression that perhaps they deal with so much of that stuff they are somewhat jaded or something.

But what I'm trying to figure out is - is it even possible for people like her to actually get it together enough to become productive. I can't really blame it on immaturity. Because I know 35 and 45 year old t-girls in similar situations. Some people never seem to grow up enough to get out of the cycle. And so many die on the way.

We talk about throw away people - I truly hope she didn't turn out to be one.

Hugs,
TS Jamie :-)

biguy4tvtscd
10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Here is the root problem as I see it, at least regarding the trans community - the very people who want (and are paid) to help often times appear unaccepting and uncaring.
Shitty Pay + Exposure to some of the worst elements of society = Cynical, Jaded Individuals.

I mean what kind of idiots plan these things?
Umm, that would be government employees.

And 4 million dollars for 24 beds? That's $165,000.00 each. Christ, our condo in a guarded resort complex only cost $180,000.
You're surprised? The government couldn't prudently spend its way out of a paper bag. Why bother worrying about costs when you have the (seemingly) infinite resources of the tax rolls to withdraw from?
On the flip side, the condos came in so much cheaper because a private contractor paid for them to be built out of his own pocket before recup'ing.

It's sad that this girl can't get herself on her feet, but seriously, it's all her own fault. She sounds like her own worst enemy.
You can have all the external help in the world, but the simple truth is that you've got to want to change before you can change. Someone that wants to get out of crack-town can and will, but only if they apply themselves.

BrendaQG
10-03-2007, 06:33 PM
@justatransgirl

I did not see the show. But I have seen all that you said really happen here in chicago. Seen it happen to people I know. I have experienced a little of that treatment myself from people you would presume should be supportive. I saw it start and just turned because I was feeling good yestersay and did not want to get :evil: :x

One thing you said struck home for me.

I mean what kind of idiots plan these things? Place "at risk" GLBT youth right smack in the middle of the ghetto and expect them to somehow climb out? Sheesh. I can see why these programs don't work. What's the choice. Sit in the youth house eating donated food, or cycle down two blocks and sell some meth, or your ass.

So right. In a Ideal world a address and telephone number, even in a shelter, would be enough to get a job that pays a living wage. It sounds like this program did little or nothing to set her up with that.

As for what kind of people plan things like this? Well meaning people who have a certain attitude I have noticed in Chicago. There is a false idea that almost all (99.9 percent as one young woman said) of GLBT people live in "Boys Town". A number wich drops off as you get father form Boys Town. I give this person credit for having allot of street smarts and social skills. Things that people who, if they don't get themselves killed, become activist often have in spades. What some of the key people who plan these things have is a limited perspective.

If it were up to me I would bus those kids out to a farm in Dekalb County. Teach them useful trades and eat what they grow for a while. At least get a high school education. Ahh who am I kidding. The kind of people that plan these things would never listen to me.

TrueBeauty TS
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
It's sad that this girl can't get herself on her feet, but seriously, it's all her own fault. She sounds like her own worst enemy.
You can have all the external help in the world, but the simple truth is that you've got to want to change before you can change. Someone that wants to get out of crack-town can and will, but only if they apply themselves.

I did see the show, and all I can say is...

Co-sign.

qeuqheeg222
10-05-2007, 08:12 AM
she also had the hard time cuz she couldnt get her important papers together for a job-the ss.card the i.d. card...i've know too many tranniees who got screwed from turning things around in this mannner...but you know sometimes people have to be a little more patient on both ends -the housing people need to not expect radical behavor changes overnight (especially in close proximity to dangerzones) and the girls need to be patient and get their shit together....papers,a job,no johns at the house-a parkd car would have done fine.....