PDA

View Full Version : Woman squashed by plane passenger

Toro
09-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I saw a story on CNN about obesity and airline passengers - it said something like obese people cost the airline industry an extra $275 million last year in fuel, and that those costs were being passed on to passengers.

Then I found this story and had to laugh... http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10/22/virgin.payout/index.html

But there really should be a size/weight chart for airline passengers, not just bags. Nothing worse than being squished into your seat by a huge person next to you. I've had it happen before, myself.

Quinn
09-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Then I found this story and had to laugh... http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/10/22/virgin.payout/index.html

It's definitely a laugh worthy article. Rule one: fat is always funny.

-Quinn

rvince
09-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Indeed, why would a 50kg guy with a 21kg suitcase pay an extra for luggage, while a 150kg guy with a 19kg will actually pay less...

BeardedOne
09-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I read this stuff with mixed feelings. My ex peaked out at over 300#, but it had nothing to do with exercize or eating habits. Sometimes nature is a royal bitch. :(

To any that care: She is 5' 10" and 'large framed' and has since undergone surgeries that have brought her back to a 'normal' weight range. But still...

:?

Ecstatic
09-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Ouch! In such cases, the obese person ought to travel first class, which has larger seats.

Or in the animal hold.......... :evil:

Toro
09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I read this stuff with mixed feelings. My ex peaked out at over 300#, but it had nothing to do with exercize or eating habits. Sometimes nature is a royal bitch. :(

To any that care: She is 5' 10" and 'large framed' and has since undergone surgeries that have brought her back to a 'normal' weight range. But still...

:?

I feel bad for people with hormonal problems or if they are overweight because of medication or health reasons, but the thing is... when you are stuck on a plane for 4 hours and you've paid the same as everyone else to fly, yet you're getting squashed by an oversized person next to you, you're getting the shaft. I think that if a person's size infringes on their neighbor, they should have to buy 2 seats.

Or, balance out the mix by putting a screaming baby or small child that can't sit still in the seat next to them...lol.

BeardedOne
09-15-2007, 11:45 PM
I feel bad for people with hormonal problems or if they are overweight because of medication or health reasons, but the thing is... when you are stuck on a plane for 4 hours and you've paid the same as everyone else to fly, yet you're getting squashed by an oversized person next to you, you're getting the shaft.

Yah, my ex flies rarely (She can't stand heights and was majorly tweaked just riding on the Chicago el), but she has had the forethought and decency to warn the carrier of her special needs. Not so much an issue now, but there were times when such a head's up gave some comfort both to her and her fellow passengers.

hwbs
09-15-2007, 11:51 PM
i have been stuck like that on metro north...not the best of experiences...

BeardedOne
09-16-2007, 12:03 AM
i have been stuck like that on metro north...not the best of experiences...

Yah, well, that's Metro North. 'Nuff said. :P

dan_drade
09-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Just charge them doublefare and let them use two seats. Problem solved.

Ecstatic
09-16-2007, 01:36 AM
If they can't afford to pay the extra fare, then perhaps some kind of insurance or assistance can be had. If nothing else, the airline picks up the tab for the additional fare, as it it certainly not fair to impose that bulk on another passenger.

TrueBeauty TS
09-16-2007, 03:12 AM
Or, if the plane is full and there is no place to change seats, the airline should compensate the person that is getting squeezed. Either refunding half the fair, a free voucher, free up grade on their next flight or something.

Flying is not a very pleasant experience nowadays. (Although the flight attendants have always seemed to try to be nice to people.) They pack the planes as full as they can and treat you like cattle. Seats are busted up, headphone plugs don't work.

I guess we should just be thankful when we take off & land safely.