PDA

View Full Version : Do People Collect Beer Bottles? (off topic)

hondarobot
09-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Anyone know anything about beer bottle anomalies? Here's the deal: I bought a six pack of Smithwick's Irish Ale last night, and one of the bottles has a Guiness Stout bottle cap on it. Smithwick's is brewed and bottled by Guinness, so it's not that hard of stretch to imagine how this happened, but I've never encountered this before.

I know coin collectors go crazy over small imperfections in coins, so are there beer bottle collectors? I haven't found anything online yet. Is there any possibility this could be worth something someday? Yes, it's a pretty stupid question, but it could be a collectible item.

If it's not, I'll just drink the beer. Either that or I'll appear on Antique Road Show someday as the guy who gets scoffed at, and then breaks a beer bottle against the appraisers head.

:)

BeardedOne
09-15-2007, 09:27 PM
People collect the strangest shit and pay the strangest prices for stranger varieties of said shit.

I speak as a collector of stamps (Stamps valued at about two dollars have been hitting auction highs in the hundreds and thousands recently) and of railway badges (One particular variety has a range of five dollars to two hundred dollars). Before you slug it down, offer it on eBay. Hell, they're all a little bit nutz there.

peggygee
09-15-2007, 09:35 PM
I speak as a collector of stamps

So you're a philatelist. :shock:

BeardedOne
09-15-2007, 09:48 PM

What'd you call me?!? A fellatilist? :lol: Them's fightin' woids, Ms. Peggy! :lol:

Yes, I am! Also an exonumist, vecturist, and whatever you call a collector of railway badges. :)

hondarobot
09-15-2007, 10:04 PM
There doesn't seem to be a demand for oddly capped beer bottles. I'm going to drink it, and imagine it actually is worth a fortune. That's worth more than money.

8)

peggygee
09-15-2007, 10:15 PM

What'd you call me?!? A fellatilist? :lol: Them's fightin' woids, Ms. Peggy! :lol:

Yes, I am! Also an exonumist, vecturist, and whatever you call a collector of railway badges. :)

Here's something for you both:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/billybeercan.gif

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/billy_beer_c.jpg

Ecstatic
09-15-2007, 10:47 PM
My best friend was a philatelist, but his specialty was collecting oddities of all sorts: misprints, poorly aligned or missing perforations, anything unusual whatsoever.

Beer bottles? Nope.

rvince
09-15-2007, 10:54 PM
as already suggested: auction it on ebay. if nobody wants it, drink it :-)

BeardedOne
09-15-2007, 11:12 PM
My best friend was a philatelist, but his specialty was collecting oddities of all sorts: misprints, poorly aligned or missing perforations, anything unusual whatsoever.

Errors, freaks, and oddities (EFO). There's quite a few stamp collectors that specialize in those sub-genres. Most common is misperf or imperf, where the perforations are misaligned or missing.

Heh.

Thanks for the Billy Beer reefer car image, Peggy. I have always wanted to do a beer train for my model railroad interests. Never knew that Billy had gotten its own car. :D

LINYguy
09-21-2007, 05:22 PM
You can join this community and post a message about it there. These guys seem to have alot of beer information. Good Luck.

http://beeradvocate.com/

DFK
09-21-2007, 05:48 PM
I used to collect the gold colored caps that screw off and on a Mickey's beer bottle. :D

ottorocket
09-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I got about 1500 bottles passed down from my grandfather he collected...some really old stufff but i'm taking them all to the recycling center. No room for all of them in my garage....

burst121
09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
im irish and smithwicks is my favourite beer!good work man!iv never noticed the guiness sign on the cap tho, cos i jus drink it in pints probably

hondarobot
09-21-2007, 07:24 PM
The beer bottle incident was about a week ago. The bottle in question has long since been opened, it's contents drank, and both bottle and cap have been thrown away.

I'll just imagine the thing had some value, though. Maybe I'll find another one someday.

:wink: