PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe to become "Global Task Force"

Legend
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
The popular all-American comic-book military man and action figure dating back to the 1940s is undergoing a significant transformation for the Paramount Pictures-distributed "G.I. Joe" film, which begins production in February and is scheduled for release in summer 2009.

No longer will G.I. Joe be a U.S. Special Forces soldier, the "Real American Hero" who, in his glory days, single-handedly won World War II.

In the politically correct new millennium, G.I. Joe bears no resemblance to the original.

Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" — an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.

The studio won't elaborate, saying filming hasn't begun and details are still in the works, but the behind-the-scenes rumblings are that the producers have decided to change the nature of G.I. Joe in order to appeal to a wider, more international audience.The word is that in the current political climate, they're afraid that a heroic U.S. soldier won't fly.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296054,00.html

I hate the idea of hollywood remaking g.i joe but are you kidding me they are renaming g.i joe to "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity".G.I Joe is an american operation issued by the american goverment and should not be messed with because of some politically incorrect bullshit.See this is why i dislike hollywood why remake a classic if you can't stick to the original series.I can't see them changing the classic joe slogan "A Real American Hero" to A Real International Hero just can't see it.Way to completely bastardize what G.I. Joe is all about, Paramount.

TopHeavyCutie
09-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I hope Lady Jaye and that hot lookin cobra chick whom wears glasses ( Baroness ) are in it.

Silcc69
09-10-2007, 11:13 PM
WTF!?

McB
09-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I just hope that Snake Eyes (the bad ass Ninja) is included.

Bandyspring
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Bleh, another piece of my childhood to be raped and pawned off on the masses.

evilash
09-11-2007, 12:30 AM
The popular all-American comic-book military man and action figure dating back to the 1940s is undergoing a significant transformation for the Paramount Pictures-distributed "G.I. Joe" film, which begins production in February and is scheduled for release in summer 2009.

No longer will G.I. Joe be a U.S. Special Forces soldier, the "Real American Hero" who, in his glory days, single-handedly won World War II.

In the politically correct new millennium, G.I. Joe bears no resemblance to the original.

Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" — an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.

The studio won't elaborate, saying filming hasn't begun and details are still in the works, but the behind-the-scenes rumblings are that the producers have decided to change the nature of G.I. Joe in order to appeal to a wider, more international audience.The word is that in the current political climate, they're afraid that a heroic U.S. soldier won't fly.

I hate the idea of hollywood remaking g.i joe but are you kidding me they are renaming g.i joe to "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity".G.I Joe is an american operation issued by the american goverment and should not be messed with because of some politically incorrect bullshit.See this is why i dislike hollywood why remake a classic if you can't stick to the original series.I can't see them changing the classic joe slogan "A Real American Hero" to A Real International Hero just can't see it.Way to completely bastardize what G.I. Joe is all about, Paramount.If they gone done put transsexuals in it then i go see it...Yeahyah!!!

stillies77
09-11-2007, 12:35 AM
in the 80s Gi Joe was a task force...the Gi Joe i grew up with and still know and love was an internationally known organization trying to stop cobra...they had people from all nations and sexes in it as well...i dont see what the big difference is.

biguy4tvtscd
09-11-2007, 12:42 AM

You know, there were many people who felt the same way when the 80's cartoon came out.

So here we are another 20 years later, and now a new generation is mangling the nostalgia of an older generation. Sounds like business as usual to me.

Really makes me wish I held onto the 12" action figures I had when I was a kid. Nothing beat the Kung-Fu grip.

s-fme
09-11-2007, 12:47 AM
I'm a huge fan of the original, owning all the original mini series and first two seasons. I grew up with the G.I. Joes as my hero, and if they do nearly as good a job as they did with transformers I will be happy. The Transformers movie was quite different from the original.... but I was still quite entertained. I can do nothing but hope for the best!

T5000
09-11-2007, 01:01 AM

I hate the idea of hollywood remaking g.i joe but are you kidding me they are renaming g.i joe to "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity".G.I Joe is an american operation issued by the american goverment and should not be messed with because of some politically incorrect bullshit.See this is why i dislike hollywood why remake a classic if you can't stick to the original series.I can't see them changing the classic joe slogan "A Real American Hero" to A Real International Hero just can't see it.Way to completely bastardize what G.I. Joe is all about, Paramount.

QUestion: Why remake a classic? Answer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and mo' $$$$$$$$.

I stopped carying about G.I. Joe when I was 11.

And this too shall pass.....What legend & Braveman on the same thread at the same time? Man i guess i was wrong and Braveman isn't legend after all....Come on who are you trying to fool?

biguy4tvtscd
09-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Nothing is getting mangled. G.I. Joe not art, it's a toy/cartoon. And yes it's all about business. Not even close to being a big deal.

I said "nostalgia" is getting mangled, which has nothing to do with the makers of either the original 12" action figure, the 80's cartoon, or the 5" action figures based on the 80's cartoon.

The nostalgia was self created by those that owned and played with the toy. It was certainly not created by the manufacturer.

And yes, the 80's TV show mangled the storyline created for the 60's and 70's 12" action figure.

Just like this movie is mangling the storyline behind the 80's cartoon.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, we all will wake up tomorrow after all.

Legend
09-11-2007, 01:22 AM
in the 80s Gi Joe was a task force...the Gi Joe i grew up with and still know and love was an internationally known organization trying to stop cobra...they had people from all nations and sexes in it as well...i dont see what the big difference is.

I just think its some political agenda behind the name change,just appease some people who don't even know what g.i joe is.

Legend
09-11-2007, 01:42 AM

I just think its some political agenda behind the name change,just appease some people who don't even know what g.i joe is.

Legend,

Here's the agenda:

Studio produces the movie for whom? An American audience? Sure, but what about the rest of the world? It's globalization, baby! They want to sell this flick all around the world: India, Korea, Brazil, Jamaica, Russia, France, the U.K., Japan, South Africa, you get the idea.

It's not about politics, it's about international distribution rights. It's about the bucks, and the yen, the yuan, and the euro,and the peso. When it comes to these matters, corporations could care less about politics.

PC, the Dems, and HR Clinton, can't be blamed for this!

Good Point but originality is lost because of money.

Bandyspring
09-11-2007, 01:55 AM

You know, there were many people who felt the same way when the 80's cartoon came out.

Oh, I agree entirely with that point. It doesn't change the fact that this latest bastardization is to what I remember as a kid and identify with.

scroller
09-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Dude, you (and the rest of Fox news) are like 40 years behind the times.

The G.I. Joe I had as a kid in 1970 was an international "Adventure Team". OMG and they look like a bunch of hippies! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe_Adventure_Team

Toro
09-12-2007, 02:20 AM
not for nothin, but that beard is way out of regs