PDA

View Full Version : You learn something new every day...

Somedude21
09-08-2007, 02:35 AM
While some (okay, most) of you might know this, I learned something new the other day in my Psychology class. Apparently, somewhere around the sixth month of pregnancy (IIRC), after the sexual organs are mostly developed, the brain of the child becomes saturated with hormones--be they male or female--turning the brain into either a male or female brain. When, say, a developing male boy's brain becomes saturated with female hormones or vice-versa, that's what produced Gender Identity Disorder.

I was amazed that I was the only one in the class who knew the name of the disorder when the professor asked. >_>

Anyway, I just thought it quite interesting. I never really knew for sure how people got GID, but now I do. Goddamn, I'm beginning to love Psychology.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/07/the_more_you_know.jpg

TJ347
09-08-2007, 04:25 AM
That's indeed quite interesting. I learned today that temporal mechanics is real, and something that a number of highly intelligent people study, debate, etc., not just something a Star Trek writer pulled out of his ass to facilitate a storyline where the Enterprise travels back in time to the 1960s. I had my doubts about that before, and now I've resolved the issue. Another day, another nugget of knowledge. I'll forget it by Monday though...

andyuk
09-08-2007, 04:28 AM
they did a test in england.
with twenty transexual girls who had passed away.
when they did tests on the brian,they found that something like 16 of the girls had brains more like a female brian than a male one,not sure what the tests involved,and all the girls agreed to these tests after they had passed away.

SarahG
09-08-2007, 04:40 AM
they did a test in england.
with twenty transexual girls who had passed away.
when they did tests on the brian,they found that something like 16 of the girls had brains more like a female brian than a male one,not sure what the tests involved,and all the girls agreed to these tests after they had passed away.

How do you agree to something after you've already died?

There have been other studies that have found similar things to that which I have heard of.

peggygee
09-08-2007, 05:10 AM
For additonal material on What Causes Transsexualism? (http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/TScauses.html)