PDA

View Full Version : Great Quotes from Unsuspected Sources

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 03:03 AM
This one's from one of my favorite comic strips, 9 Chickweed Lane, from the series earlier this year called "Meditations of Thorax" on Guilt:

"Guilt is the tragic delusion of culpability without the comic relief of sin."

alphanumeric
09-07-2007, 05:18 AM
"I do not know what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones."

Albert Einstein

Quinn
09-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Four favorites that I reflect upon frequently:

1. "Success is the child of audacity."
-Benjamin Disraeli

2. "Civilization aims at making all good things . . . accessible even to cowards."
-Nietzsche

3. "Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage."
-Thucydides

4. "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
-Voltaire

-Quinn

Jericho
09-07-2007, 06:34 AM
All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach. : Adolf Hitler

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. : Charles Darwin

If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster. : Anon

Realgirls4me
09-07-2007, 06:46 AM
Quotes from "unsuspected sources", Gracie?

Hmmmm?

“If I stand here, I can see the Little Red Haired girl when she comes out of her house... Of course, if she sees me peeking around this tree, she'll think I'm the dumbest person in the world... But if I don't peek around the tree, I'll never see her... Which means I probably AM the dumbest person in the world... which explains why I'm standing in a batch of poison oak.”... Charlie Brown

:wink: :claps

... A couple of nice homeruns there, Quinn.

Rogers
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!”

“He must be a king.
Why?
He hasn't got shit all over him.”

- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) on the Divine Rights of Kings.

NadiaUSA
09-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I love this show.

"They Know Nothing !" ... Cramer CNBC host of Mad Money

Ecstatic
09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Great quotes, all. Points to those like Realgirls4me who remembered that the thread particularly aims for quotes from unsuspected sources (e.g., unknown sources or unlikely quotes from known sources, rather than those great but predictable quotes from Barlett's).

BeardedOne
09-07-2007, 11:46 PM
"Psychiatry and cunnilingus brought us to this!" - Tony Soprano

biguy4tvtscd
09-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous.
- Hobbes the Tiger

The secret to a good self-esteem, is to lower your expectations to the point where they're already met.
- Hobbes the Tiger

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch (TANSTAAFL)
- Robert Heinlein

God money don't want everything, he wants it all.
- Trent Reznor

I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill.
- Neil Peart

Asking Dave Chapelle to stop using the N word in his comedy act would be like asking Jonathan Swift to tone it down with all the talk of eating children.
- Jabari Asim

Marinus
09-08-2007, 12:20 AM
"I don't lie, I have a great talent for fiction"

flabbybody
09-08-2007, 12:29 AM
"Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore, it's too crowded"

Yogi Berra

CORVETTEDUDE
09-10-2007, 12:05 AM
"They give you "cash", which is just the same as "money"!
Yogi Berra / AFLAC

Somedude21
09-10-2007, 01:47 AM
"Life sucks, sure, but suicide isn't the answer."

Forgot who said that, but back in my worst days, this simple phrase was repeated like a mantra in my mind and probably helped to keep me from doing anything stupid.