PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people seek fame and notoriety?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Is the world gone mad? With all the recent news about Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie and Linsey Lohan (just to mention a few)..good or BAD..everyone thesedays seems hungry for attention no matter how they can get it! Its sad. :?

This doesnt only apply to genetic women. It seems alot of tg's as of late are also clamouring for notoriety like going to talk shows, doing public documentaries etc.

Fame = Success
Success = Money
Money = Power
Power = Respect
Respect = Admiration
Admiration = Love

There's something else - 'Validation' and 'Immortality'.

We all know about the pull of money,admiration, power and Love etc. but what about validation and immortality?

Some people will seek fame in order to feel validated.

They feel that without fame and public recognition their achievements are void and that only through fame can their purpose on this planet be properly validated.

Not only this but the validation that comes from being famous will result in some permanent public record of their time on this planet. So through being famous they achieve longevity and a form of immortality.

Some politicians and monarchs throughout history may have made extreme and unpopular political decisions less for political reasons and more for 'getting into the history books'. The questions arise:

'What I can I do to be known - what can I do to be remembered?'

In today’s world, politicians who are in the game for power and notoriety have found that they can achieve immortality without politics and instead go on reality TV shows!

When the fame turns sour and the publics love turns to hate, those once famous blame the media for misrepresenting them. But never do they accuse the media of misrepresentation when they are built into almost super human beings with great influence over others.

In other words, they believe they are every bit as great as the media tells them they are. This is rarely accurate.

Thus there is an element of delusion in desiring fame for fames sake.

Those that seek it believe they deserve it. They believe that they should be in the history books and that everyone should know their name.

FAME! I'm gonna live forever............so the song goes!

My question is, In the end..Is it really worth it? :roll:

~Kisses.

HTG

Falrune
08-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Is the world gone mad?

Different people have different value systems. What is worth something to you may be worthless to others.

In the end, the only thing that really matters, from a biological perspective, is that you keep your combination of genes going for another 30 years. That's all that really matters. If you do not do this, then you are a biological failure.

However, everyone tells me that there are many more important things in life than procreation, so they are coming from a nonbiological perspective. Perhaps they value some other form of creativity. Perhaps they value historical immortality. Anyway, I try not to interpret the behavior of others with my own values, since I could be wrong.

But I still cannot understand why there are Volvos.

blckhaze
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
hara I just finished rereading a book called "Making Friend and Influencing People" that explains everything you talked about perfectly. For anyone who wants to be or continue to be famous, or just someone trying to educate oneself, I highly reccomend this this book.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
hara I just finished rereading a book called "Making Friend and Influencing People" that explains everything you talked about perfectly. For anyone who wants to be or continue to be famous, or just someone trying to educate oneself, I highly reccomend this this book.

Sweet! I've to go read that book. Author? :P

~Kisses.

HTG

blckhaze
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Author is Dale Carnegie.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks blckhaze. :P

I added that to my cart on amazon. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Is the world gone mad?

Different people have different value systems. What is worth something to you may be worthless to others.

In the end, the only thing that really matters, from a biological perspective, is that you keep your combination of genes going for another 30 years. That's all that really matters. If you do not do this, then you are a biological failure.

However, everyone tells me that there are many more important things in life than procreation, so they are coming from a nonbiological perspective. Perhaps they value some other form of creativity. Perhaps they value historical immortality. Anyway, I try not to interpret the behavior of others with my own values, since I could be wrong.

But I still cannot understand why there are Volvos.

Good point. So let me re-phrase my question:

Why then is "validation" of others so important?

Is that how we MUST measure our "selfworth"? The need for others validate us to make us feel whole and good about ourselves? Why do we care what others say about us?

Hmm.. :?

~Kisses.

HTG

SarahG
08-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Why then is "validation" of others so important?

Why is being rejected by others so important? We care about what others think because at the most fundamentalist level, it dictates our ability to eat (economics), our ability to live (shelter, healthcare etc), and our ability to reproduce.

Psychologically people cut off from other humans over time, virtually always go insane... this is probably part of this.

Why do you think people are afraid of public speaking so often?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Lack of confidence is most common lacking trait in people. On the sidenote, over confidence repulse people! LOL

But going back to the question.. I think its a pity if you succumb to peer pressure (to give others the power to judge/dictate you) and lose perspective of one's selfworth as a person. Validation for fame and notoriety most often than not leads to one's warped/flawed/false sense of self.

~Kisses.

HTG

SarahG
08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
But going back to the question.. I think its a pity if you succumb to peer pressure (to give others the power to judge/dictate you) and lose perspective of one's selfworth as a person. Validation for fame and notoriety most often than not leads to one's warped/flawed/false sense of self.

timendii causa est nescire

Don't most people have a warped sense of self to begin with? Not to discredit the amplification that comes from fame...

Hara_Juku Tgirl
08-31-2007, 11:50 PM
LOL Co-sign! :lol:

~Kisses.

HTG

justatransgirl
08-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Thread by Hara - the most famous set of eyes on the internet! :-)

Like you say fame usually equals money. But a lot of people mistake fame for "Infamous."

Says the infamous TS Jamie... :-)

chrissynw
09-01-2007, 12:52 AM
As well as the obvious things like money and acceptance I think its essentially about life after death, people hate the idea that when they're gone they'll eventually be forgotten to the world, just like billions before and billions of their peers, scary particularly for people in the West.

Since the renaissence in particular people have taken to thinking they are above nature, rational thought and logic supposedly allow us to transcend our animal subconscious and thus the normal bounds of 'nature'.

I guess we've attached an importance to ourselves that the rest of the planet/universe doesn't see and we feel like we're entitled to a special place in memory or history unlike every other inferior non-human.

Probably shouldn't set such a serious tone on my second post but nevermind :D

scroller
09-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Consider forecasts by certain scientists that humans are quite likely to be replaced by some form of artificial life or robotics, possibly in less than the 30 year span that you're talking about. Then biological procreation itself will have failed, and the only way to continue what you cared about is through some important thought or artwork, which is still used after we're all gone. If that's "fame" then it might be the only way keep any part of yourself in the world.

Hans Moravec's "Mind Children": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Moravec
Bill Joy's "Why the future doesn't need us": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_the_future_doesn%27t_need_us

stevenb43
09-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I guess I dont understand the reason for this post.....

It is easy.....$$$$$$$$

That doesn't take much thought..

SarahG
09-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Fame doesn't always mean money. Look at serial killers who aren't ever getting out of prison...

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Fame doesn't always mean money. Look at serial killers who aren't ever getting out of prison...

LOL good example SarahG. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Coroner
09-02-2007, 12:16 AM

They are infamous :)

Jericho
09-02-2007, 12:21 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

Not really.

I mean, they don't expect to get caught do they.
I don't imagine Dhamer was tucking into roast head and thinking, "This should make CNN, tonight!". :D

That's more accidental celebrity/notoriety, init.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 12:30 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

Not really.

I don't imagine Dhamer was tucking into roast head and thinking, "This should make CNN, tonight!". :D

Infamous is right. I agree with Coroner! :P

I think what SarahG meant was good or bad they got the "attention" they're seeking. Having fame and notoriety doesnt always neccessarily mean it would put you into "celebrity" status. Society do NOT consider serial killers "celebrities" now INIT? LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

Coroner
09-02-2007, 12:43 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

Not really.

I think what SarahG meant was good or bad they got the "attention" they're seeking. Having fame and notoriety doesnt always neccessarily mean it would put you into "celebrity" status. Society do NOT consider serial killers "celebrities" now INIT? LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

Look, every serial killer is just an attention bitch :)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Well "some" girls are also like that! Look at Lindsey Lohan? Nicole Ritchie, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and the list goes on! LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

Jericho
09-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Having fame and notoriety doesnt always neccessarily mean it would put you into "celebrity" status.

Fame/Infamy, two side of the same coin.

But how do you define celebrity when it's become so debased that even some twat appearing on "Big Brother" can become a media star.

Warhols' fifteen minutes has been reduced to ten.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 01:02 AM
That's entertainment telly going down the drain. It's really SAD!

~Kisses.

HTG

SarahG
09-02-2007, 01:32 AM

~Kisses.

HTG

Not really.

~Kisses.

HTG

Bingo. Adding to that, fame isn't going to get you unlimited wealth either. Lots of famous people have died penneyless, lots of famous people barely even had people show up at their funerals.

Remember how Mozart's last days were.

Thomas Paine had a full 7 people attend his funeral.

justatransgirl
09-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Hey Hara - now don't you be pickin on my home girls... -giggle-

Gosh, I'll bet Paris is pissed at Nichole now! She gets 23 days and Nichole get's 82 minutes for the same "crime." Where's the justice there?

And remember celebrity doesn't always equate into money. Look at the pedofile guy, he can't even afford a lawyer. (Which may be a good thing...) And then look at all the short time celebrities who can't manage the money they do get.

Monica Lewinski, Dennis Rodman (you can do me honey...), Liz Taylors last husband (what was his name?), K-Fed, and on and on... oh let's not forget that short guy that became a security guard, Gary something. I'm really bad with names...

But once you've met me you'll never forget it!

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Not at all. I think they are all beautiful girls but I am completely replused by their "behaviour". It seems like they try to out do eachother for the throne of BAD GIRL! LOL That's all. :lol:

It's the same thing with JLO. When Benifer became the talk for months on telly and tabloids at some point alot of people gotten to a point that they wanted to puke! LOL

As with everything..our very own HA drama's, attention seeking peeps..It gets old after awhile.

:P

~Kisses.

HTG

CORVETTEDUDE
09-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Hara...
My Dad told me a long time ago, "If sense was common, everybody would have some." Beautiful or not, educated or not, wealthy or not...not everyone is gifted with good ol' common sense.

jsroland
09-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Is the world gone mad? With all the recent news about Paris Hilton, Nicole Ritchie and Linsey Lohan (just to mention a few)..good or BAD..everyone thesedays seems hungry for attention no matter how they can get it! Its sad. :?

This doesnt only apply to genetic women. It seems alot of tg's as of late are also clamouring for notoriety like going to talk shows, doing public documentaries etc.

Fame = Success
Success = Money
Money = Power
Power = Respect
Respect = Admiration
Admiration = Love

There's something else - 'Validation' and 'Immortality'.

We all know about the pull of money,admiration, power and Love etc. but what about validation and immortality?

Some people will seek fame in order to feel validated.

They feel that without fame and public recognition their achievements are void and that only through fame can their purpose on this planet be properly validated.

Not only this but the validation that comes from being famous will result in some permanent public record of their time on this planet. So through being famous they achieve longevity and a form of immortality.

Some politicians and monarchs throughout history may have made extreme and unpopular political decisions less for political reasons and more for 'getting into the history books'. The questions arise:

'What I can I do to be known - what can I do to be remembered?'

In today’s world, politicians who are in the game for power and notoriety have found that they can achieve immortality without politics and instead go on reality TV shows!

When the fame turns sour and the publics love turns to hate, those once famous blame the media for misrepresenting them. But never do they accuse the media of misrepresentation when they are built into almost super human beings with great influence over others.

In other words, they believe they are every bit as great as the media tells them they are. This is rarely accurate.

Thus there is an element of delusion in desiring fame for fames sake.

Those that seek it believe they deserve it. They believe that they should be in the history books and that everyone should know their name.

FAME! I'm gonna live forever............so the song goes!

~Kisses.

HTGYes, to let the world know and themselves that they existed.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
09-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Hara...
My Dad told me a long time ago, "If sense was common, everybody would have some." Beautiful or not, educated or not, wealthy or not...not everyone is gifted with good ol' common sense.

LOL :lol:

jsroland, thanks for your input.

~Kisses.

HTG

jsroland
09-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Hara...

LOL :lol:

jsroland, thanks for your input.

~Kisses.

HTGAny time :D

alphanumeric
09-04-2007, 11:22 AM
short answer? no.