PDA

View Full Version : a little off topic: japan

D'yer Mak'er
08-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Anyone went there?
A friend and myself are thinking about going next year, it looks like its gonna be pretty damn expensive.

Somedude21
08-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Indeed, it IS expensive. All island nations are, considering that they have to import most of their stuff. But otherwise, make sure to have a good time and not be a typical "American tourist".

D'yer Mak'er
08-30-2007, 03:23 AM
How do I not be a typical American tourist?

ToyBoy6669
08-30-2007, 03:55 AM
tip well
don't act like you are too important
don't get angery with people who don't speak english
Eat with chopsticks, and don't lay them on the table

try new things

Somedude21
08-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Actually, ToyBoy, you don't tip in Japan. If you leave money on the table, chances are that the restaurant owner (or whichever employee sees the money first) will run out and find you to give you the money.

But some tips...

- Learn a little Japanese. Nothing too fancy, just some basic phrases.
- Don't get angry with people who don't speak English (Japanese people are notorious for having no or very bad English).
- Don't leer at women. Despite what the culture might show you, women still don't like being treated like sex objects.
- Don't take offense at things. Japanese culture is different than American culture--some things that might mean something to us, might mean something completely different to the Japanese. It's a little hard to explain...but I suppose that I can just tell you to take things in stride and don't blow your top.
- Whatever you do, don't express any kind of anger at all. Anger is seen as a sign of weakness in Japanese culture, and so showing anger will make you look like a moron.
- Whatever you do, DO NOT POINT AT SOMETHING WITH YOUR INDEX FINGER. Considered to be extremely rude. Just gesture toward what you want to point at with your hand.
- Do not set your chopsticks down on a table. There's a specific holder that you'll be given at every meal to put them down on.
- Don't go asking around about "nyu-ha-fu" ("newhalf". Think, Japanese for "shemale"). People will just look at you like you're some kind of freak.
- It's considered polite to slurp your noodles. Something of a sign of respect to the chef.
- Do NOT order beef. It's horrendously expensive there. Not as good as American beef, anyway (unless you go for Kobe beef...but good luck coughing up the moola for that).
- Try not to laugh at all the bad English that you'll be seeing, such as on T-shirts and such. :P

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

D'yer Mak'er
08-30-2007, 04:18 AM
I already know a small bit of Japanese, I've been interested in their culture for a few years. I can't speak it yet, but I can communicate using it on a computer. Sentence structure and grammar and the like mess me up though. I'll never be able to read Japanese script.
I'm generally a very quiet, nice person, hopefully no problems respecting them. Perhaps my introverted tendency will have a use there?
Haha, wasn't gonna go around asking for shemales.
Another friend of mine has been there before, and said that if you want, you can buy a jar of school saliva bahaha. I want.
Thanks for the tips. We're hoping to go in June, which is still a large enough amount of time away to get into more about it.

ezed
08-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Actually, ToyBoy, you don't tip in Japan. If you leave money on the table, chances are that the restaurant owner (or whichever employee sees the money first) will run out and find you to give you the money.

But some tips...

- Learn a little Japanese. Nothing too fancy, just some basic phrases.
- Don't get angry with people who don't speak English (Japanese people are notorious for having no or very bad English).
- Don't leer at women. Despite what the culture might show you, women still don't like being treated like sex objects.
- Don't take offense at things. Japanese culture is different than American culture--some things that might mean something to us, might mean something completely different to the Japanese. It's a little hard to explain...but I suppose that I can just tell you to take things in stride and don't blow your top.
- Whatever you do, don't express any kind of anger at all. Anger is seen as a sign of weakness in Japanese culture, and so showing anger will make you look like a moron.
- Whatever you do, DO NOT POINT AT SOMETHING WITH YOUR INDEX FINGER. Considered to be extremely rude. Just gesture toward what you want to point at with your hand.
- Do not set your chopsticks down on a table. There's a specific holder that you'll be given at every meal to put them down on.
- Don't go asking around about "nyu-ha-fu" ("newhalf". Think, Japanese for "shemale"). People will just look at you like you're some kind of freak.
- It's considered polite to slurp your noodles. Something of a sign of respect to the chef.
- Do NOT order beef. It's horrendously expensive there. Not as good as American beef, anyway (unless you go for Kobe beef...but good luck coughing up the moola for that).
- Try not to laugh at all the bad English that you'll be seeing, such as on T-shirts and such. :P

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

What he says......been there four times. Go to Amsterdam. Japan is like visiting a pinball machine. The food sucks unless you're rich.

Galadriel
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM
I lived in Japan the summer before last (living as a boy still). It was an interesting place, and definately somewhere I want to visit again. However, if you don't like seafood (like me) then the food gets old really quick.

What somedude21 suggested are really good tips. I think you should read over that list a few times. I will emphasize (since someone posted otherwise) not to tip in Japan... most people don't get too upset over it, but it can be considered rude, and you're putting the burden on them of hunting you down to give the money back. I will add too, whatever they feed you, try to finish it. If you leave anything, you are saying "I don't like this."

You should probably also keep in mind that Japan has what has been historically one of the most isolated cultures in the world. That doesn't mean they don't interact, they do very well, it's just that when they borrow something culturally, they re-interpret it in a way that makes sense in terms of their own culture. So sometimes you will see something you recognize, but it doesn't mean quite the same thing there.

As for the money thing, I think this is something that is not so cut and dry as some people present it. Yes, Japan can be unbelievably expensive. It can also very cheap in places, both extremes exist. In my case, when I lived on the outskirts of Osaka, I rented a cheapass dorm from Osaka Prefecture University and the food in that area was not very expensive. I lived off of practical nothing except for the time I spent traveling.

Now, fitting our HA theme I will also mention that I hung out at a couple nights at some of the tranny bars.. it was expensive but fun. I didn't tell them I was T, mostly just hung out and observed the culture a little bit, sang some karaoke, drank some beer, it was nice. They're fairly easy to find in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo if you are interested.

MrMurdock
08-30-2007, 07:45 AM
The wikitravel article is a good help, especially with regards to the trains

http://wikitravel.org/en/Japan

TJT
08-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Nothing wrong with demanding an apology for Pearl Harbor is there? My Mom went to her grave grieving for her cousin killed in that lil' episode and I tend to hold grudge.

D'yer Mak'er
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
You should probably also keep in mind that Japan has what has been historically one of the most isolated cultures in the world.

This I knew, and was part of why I think my sense of being introverted might help me out a bit.
We're planning on going in June, and I guess staying in Tokyo, but traveling around to Kobe, Osaka, Okinawa, wherever we can get in our short time there. Traveling around is gonna be a big part of it. I personally want to head around Hokkaido, but I already know it's too far for us to go in our time.

sbcroix
08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Basically just don't be an Ass and you'll be fine, but here is my advice.

The chopstick thing is right, don't lay it on the table. Lay it across your plate or lay it on a chopstick holder. Also NEVER stick your chopsticks into your food and leave it.

If you are going to travel across the country get yourself a "JR Pass", you can only buy it outside of Japan, so get your travel agent to get you one for you before you leave the US.

Go ahead and get angry if you want. You are a gaijin and they expect it from you.

If you are interested in meeting shemales there, go to Shinjuku Ni-Chome and find some of the tranny bars there. You will be required to pay an entrance fee, you also will be required to pay an hourly rate. You can also sometime find a lot of the phillipino and thai trannys in the clubs in Roppongi. Try Motown House I or Motown House II. Also when going clubbing in Roppongi pretend you are going to the trendiest fucking club in New York and dress like it. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time standing in front of clubs and wishing you could get in.

Find an Izakaya near you hotel and take at least one meal a day there everyday. These are traditional Japanese pub / resturants. They are small and often the owners live above them. If they see you every day, they will often discount food and drinks for you because you will become an attraction to the other patrons. Be carefull though, the costs at these places can rack up pretty quick if you don't pay attention.

The hot rag you are given is to wash your hands and if needed your face before you eat.

If you are staying in Tokyo, make sure you purchase Tokyo Metro tourist tickets at the airport. They offer unlimited riding on all tokyo metro lines for 1 to 2 days. You can buy more than one.

Point with your index finger all you want, you are a Gaijin and they expect it from you.

Never, ever fucking bow.

You can find ATM'S that will take your evil American ATM card at all post offices.

You also might notice that people are reluctant to speak with you, this is because although every Japanese person is required to take english from grades 1 - 13, most of them can't do it very well and they are embaressed.

The beef does not suck, but the Hamburger does. And they undercook their bacon. Also most scrambled eggs have sugar added to them.

The Japanese do not do special orders, so don't ask. You'll just be told no. (Well maybe at Burger King they might take em, but no where else)

Always stand when riding the subway.

And finally if you are going for less than 2 weeks I wouldn't plan on going from Tokyo to Kobe, Osaka, and Okinawa. You'll be riding trains the whole fucking time.

Stay in Tokyo, ride to Yokohama, Kawasaki, and maybe Nikko or Kamakura. But believe me you could spend a month in just tokyo and still find things to do.

Hell I lived there for 8 years and get back at least every other year to visit frineds and such and I still have things I havent seen in tokyo.

PhillyTSlover
08-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Nothing wrong with demanding an apology for Pearl Harbor is there? My Mom went to her grave grieving for her cousin killed in that lil' episode and I tend to hold grudge.

D'yer Mak'er, just for reference, this is called being an "Ugly American", try not to act like this asshole.

My wife is Japanese, so we stay with her family when there. Never done any "touristy" things, but it's an amazing place to go. Make sure you play some Pachinko while you're there. All the other suggestions are excellent. Oh, also, try not to stare at the retarded teenagers and their faddish appearance. The last time I was there, the faddish teen girls looked ridiculous, they all had deep tans and BLONDE hair! Ugh!

Oh! And check out a baseball game if you can. The Tokyo Dome SUCKS, but Yokohama Stadium is really nice, and not too expensive. You can sometimes get tickets at Takashimaya department store.

TJT
08-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Asshole? Coming from a guy from Philly that's a regular compliment. Thanks!

dasani75
08-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey TJT, you hold a grudge?!?!?! Do you actually live thru that particular time in history?? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You want an apology? From who exactly? From every Japanese you run into? You must be an idiot. If you really want an apology on somehting that happened over 50 years ago, then go track down every Japanese over the age of 80 that may have taken part. Those Japanese are probably the only ones you need an apology from. I suppose you think we need an apology from all Germans too...and from all Southerners for starting the Civil War...I think I've got some descendents from 150 years ago that got killed...i want apologies from the whole state of South Carolina...

It's unfortunate you lost a loved one in the war, but please, MOVE ON. It's been a long time and there are new generations governing each nation. It was a bad time back then but I think it's safe to say that the people responsible for what happened back then are pretty much all gone. We are now allies with Japan and don't forget we payed them back for what they did with a couple earth shattering A-bombs that pretty much fucked them good. MOVE ON and GET OVER IT.

Grudges...unbelievable...

TJT
08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Bubba,I'm still at war with the Shawnee for doin' in my great-great (add a few) Grandaddy. I'm headin' out to Oklahoma to settle up with that bunch when I'm through with the Nips,Kaiser Bill,and the descendants of the Yankees that stole Great-Grandma's cow and mule. (Well,I've been shootin' at Yankees for sport for decades,I figure I probably clipped one of their bastard spawn by sheer numbers alone?)

Never forget,never forgive,and never underestimate the gullibility of folks on the internet.

dasani75
08-31-2007, 04:14 PM
what a stupid response

D'yer Mak'er
08-31-2007, 04:17 PM

D'yer Mak'er, just for reference, this is called being an "Ugly American", try not to act like this asshole.

My wife is Japanese, so we stay with her family when there. Never done any "touristy" things, but it's an amazing place to go. Make sure you play some Pachinko while you're there. All the other suggestions are excellent. Oh, also, try not to stare at the retarded teenagers and their faddish appearance. The last time I was there, the faddish teen girls looked ridiculous, they all had deep tans and BLONDE hair! Ugh!

Yeah, I have my own offensive sense of humour, but I keep it to myself, strictly. I know better than that.

I want to stare at the teenagers!
I want to bring a woman back haha. I like when Asian girls dye their hair blonde, I dunno.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful comments, that big list from sbcroix.
We're undecided about stuff for a while, kind of thinking we'd rather stay in Osaka, and get around from there. Just thinking about passports and rail passes and all that is cringe-inducing.

Anyone else have anything to contribute, I'd love to hear it. Nothing I talk about here, I don't post much anyway, but I've been depressed for the last couple of years, and I just get tired of being alive, but planning this trip to Japan is really making me feel good. Just hearing anything I can learn about the place makes me feel better.

I do really wish TJT would keep this out of my thread though.

SkyTwo
09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Isn't it weird how people visiting Japan get about ten times the advice of people going anyplace else? Probably the best thing to remember is that standard tourist advice will get you by fine: be polite, be a good sport, and you'll be fine in most situations.

A lot of the advice here has focused on super-specific situations, but don't really fall outside standard etiquette, like not leaving chopsticks sticking out of your food-- which is associated with offerings to the dead. But you don't leave your spoon in a soup bowl, or your knife sticking out of a steak, and anyone there is going to realize that you don't have the same cultural associations anyway. And not putting your chopsticks on the table? When was the last time you put your fork on a table between bites? Never.

So for the most part, don't sweat it. You'll probably find that people are eager to help you out if you're standing around looking confused (to practice their English, contrary to a previous comment), although people will be nervous if you approach them in English just as we would if an obvious non-English speaker approached us. As with most places, you'll find that a little effort goes a long way. If people can see that you're trying, they'll forgive a lot of blunders. And as with any country where you can't speak the language, some blunders can't be avoided. But they can usually be handled with a positive sense of humor.