PDA

View Full Version : In defense of spelling issues on HA posts...................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Now put up a 1 if you read that 1 time and understood it.

cp3rb25
08-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Been online way too much

TSCURIOUS
08-28-2007, 12:56 AM
But I'm dyslexia

biguy4tvtscd
08-28-2007, 01:02 AM
The problem is not whether it's unreadable or not.

The human mind has the amazing ability to put even worse chicken scratch together into discernible sentences. Hell, go have a kid, and you'll learn quickly just how much you can decipher when dealing with poor writing skills.

No, the problem with that little "study", is twofold....

1) It leads people to believe that spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc... just don't matter. THEY DO. They always have and always will. If they didn't matter, they wouldn't have lasted as long as they have.

2) Whether you realize it or not, your brain is doing a LOT more work reading the fucked up sentence, than if it were spelled properly. For that one paragraph...no it's not a problem at all, and you probably don't even realize the additional time spent deciphering it.
But I'd bet dollars to donuts that after long term exposure you'd notice the time difference a lot more.

saifan
08-28-2007, 01:10 AM
I saw something in an unrelated note regarding color. They spelled out the names of colors in a color different than the one written. Don't remember what the point was but some people had a hard time reading "green" if it was written in the color red.

tonkatoy
08-28-2007, 01:24 AM

I try to go for the general length and shape of a word whist typing. I like girls who are dirty sluts.

mbf
08-28-2007, 01:26 AM
i understood the first three lines but i had to go over the question a couple of times....

Dino Velvet
08-28-2007, 01:27 AM
why come peoples not ejumacated not ax fo a liberry card befo they grown so they no how to use a pin... know what ahm sayin?!?

tsntx
08-28-2007, 01:39 AM
But I'm dyslexia

co-sign

tsntx
08-28-2007, 01:40 AM
I saw something in an unrelated note regarding color. They spelled out the names of colors in a color different than the one written. Don't remember what the point was but some people had a hard time reading "green" if it was written in the color red.

rotflmao

uh... yeah that would be ppl that are color blind lol

werwt22
08-28-2007, 02:47 PM

BrendaQG
08-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I udenr sootd it.

Ecstatic
08-30-2007, 04:27 AM

However, I totally agree with biguy4tvtscd. English is the most extensive and diverse language in the world, having a lexicon of at least 500,000 words. Additionally, such cresimphoenon dpedens uopn how comomn the wrdos are and the mennar in wihch the mddile wrods are merphod. I'ts a smhae taht a sfgnicinait pregantece dno't garsp taht.

peggygee
08-30-2007, 04:56 AM
The problem is not whether it's unreadable or not.

The human mind has the amazing ability to put even worse chicken scratch together into discernible sentences. Hell, go have a kid, and you'll learn quickly just how much you can decipher when dealing with poor writing skills.

No, the problem with that little "study", is twofold....

1) It leads people to believe that spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc... just don't matter. THEY DO. They always have and always will. If they didn't matter, they wouldn't have lasted as long as they have.

2) Whether you realize it or not, your brain is doing a LOT more work reading the fucked up sentence, than if it were spelled properly. For that one paragraph...no it's not a problem at all, and you probably don't even realize the additional time spent deciphering it.
But I'd bet dollars to donuts that after long term exposure you'd notice the time difference a lot more.

However, I totally agree with biguy4tvtscd. English is the most extensive and diverse language in the world, having a lexicon of at least 500,000 words. Additionally, such cresimphoenon dpedens uopn how comomn the wrdos are and the mennar in wihch the mddile wrods are merphod. I'ts a smhae taht a sfgnicinait pregantece dno't garsp taht.

What they said. :wink:

Which leads me to a question, on the next forum upgrade will there be
one with a built in spell checker. I've been seeing them here and there.

And remember boys, and girls, reading is fundamental. :wink:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/hookedonphonics5x2.jpg

Ecstatic
08-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Basically, it's pattern recognition, a cognitive ability at which the human brain excels. Computers, for all their processing speed, are pretty lousy at pattern recognition, yet humans grasp patterns extremely quickly and can react in a split second to a multitude of conflicting patterns (try driving through the Big Dig in Boston at rush hour for example).