PDA

View Full Version : Headed to L.A.

tsntx
08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I'll be in L.A. 22nd- 26th .... what should I do while I'm there besides filming promos and shooting w/ a test audience?

Oh and keep in mind I'll be w/ my agent, lawyer, and mom.

So going to the local tranny hooker bar isn't too likely but maybe something a lil nicer is.

:shrug

mbf
08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
good luck with that trip

BBaggins06
08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Two words :

Base Jumping

ARMANIXXX
08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
What are you filming/auditioning for?

When I was there last year, a friend of mine took me to MOONSHADOW.....it was nice and apparently it was the club Mel Gibson was driving from when he got busted. It's in Malibu.

I also went to a couple of other clubs with my cousin in the valley, they were more of the live entertainment and open mike variety.

Other than professional endeavors (Music entertainment for me), LA sucks for the most part in my opinion.

Good luck to you for sure.

tsntx
08-13-2007, 09:44 AM
What are you filming/auditioning for?

When I was there last year, a friend of mine took me to MOONSHADOW.....it was nice and apparently it was the club Mel Gibson was driving from when he got busted. It's in Malibu.

I also went to a couple of other clubs with my cousin in the valley, they were more of the live entertainment and open mike variety.

Other than professional endeavors (Music entertainment for me), LA sucks for the most part in my opinion.

Good luck to you for sure.

thnx.... well the show i was cast w/ 11 other glb members, i was the only t, got postponed til summer '08 bc they showed the 12 cast member tapes to test audiences and my reviews got SUCH high marks that they have totally scrapped the original idea and are recasting and reformulating the show, except my part.... to show me they are serious they want to take my high ratings and test me in a whole nother format and idea to see if a test audience likes me live... if they do... ill be hosting my own tv show... i dont know much yet but i dont think its exactly like a late night talk show or anything like that .... not much details have been given but when i get them obviously ill share what i can... anyway my birthday is the 21rst so since you cheap bastards arent gonna buy me anything at least send me some well wishes... this show could REALLY bring some real light to the ts community and hopefully it will be a GOOD one and beneficial to US all.

on a side note ... i LOVE this song

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YVvo_s6cyZQ

Realgirls4me
08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
tsntx,

They did a pretty good cover of a great song, but the ORIGINAL song is generally better. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yx6dHmYD6c8

Oh, shoot. I might be in Los Angeles at the end of the month. So no Peanuts for you, huh?

tsntx
08-13-2007, 09:57 AM
tsntx,

They did a pretty good cover of a great song, but the ORIGINAL song is generally better. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yx6dHmYD6c8

Oh, shoot. I might be in Los Angeles at the end of the month. So no Peanuts for you, huh?

yeah i doubt ill go to peanuts... yeah its an old smiths song i know.... but i love daniel merriweathers voice

Fitz1600
08-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I'll be there the same week....maybe we should hookup!! :D :D :D

ossumpeiEIEIO
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Another hot avatar pic Jen, schwing.

Falrune
08-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Since you're going (or "coming," since this is my home town) with your Mom, I'd say a GREAT place for visiting is the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in Pasadena (actually, San Marino). So that's my first recommendation; a weak alternative would be the fancy Getty Museum up in the hills above Sunset Blvd.

Also, a drive on Sunset Blvd is beautiful, from the Santa Monica Beach area to the west all the way into Hollywood to the east (some parts aren't so spectacular, but it kind of reveals Los Angeles). I used to work at Sunset and Vine. In that area, you'll find Graumann's (Mann's) Chinese Theater (north on Hollywood Blvd), Hollywood Bowl, West and North on Cahuenga), etc. Griffith Park is in the area, and this is near the "Hollywood Sign." But anyway, as you head west on Sunset Blvd you'll find West Hollywood, Beverly Hills (for you shopping enthusiasts... way too pricey for me) UCLA/Bel Aire, Brentwood, a Polo field -- darn I forgot the name -- but it was some famous Hollywood homespun 'western' comedian from the 30s (edit: Will Rogers) -- there's a small museum there and hiking trails, and finally, Santa Monica and the Pacific Coast Highway (on which you can drive north to Malibu).

For just strolling, Santa Monica (the pier and the 3rd Street Promenade) are nice. Santa Monica Beach also has a "Strand," where you can rent bicycles and bike southward to Marina del Rey. Between Santa Monica and Marina del Rey is Venice Beach, where you'll find a lot of "head shop" type places (reminds me of Ocean Beach in San Diego). The Marina del rey area has some touristy restaurants, and a nice small mall area overlooking the Marina.

If you're able to figure it out, you can bike beyond Marina del Rey to Hermosa and Redondo Beach and I think it might extend to Palos Verdes... but that's a lot of biking. What makes it a bit hard to figure out is that you'll need to leave the strand and do a short bit of biking on the surface streets. This is because the Marina itself and La Ballona Creek interrupt the beach (You can bike along La Ballona Crek Eastward into Culver City ... about 4.5 miles where a lot of Hollywood industry actully occurs (Eg., Sony-MGM is not in Hollywood, it's in Culver City; Alex Trabek does Jeopardy from that area). However, the southern beaches (Dockweiler, Hermosa and Redondo) have their own attractions. For example, the last time I was in Hermosa (or Redondo??) there was a Beach volleyball tournament being broadcast from there. Redondo has some fairly reasonably priced restaurants, especially off the Pacific Coast highway on a road called Artesia Blvd.

In downtown Los Angeles are Chinatown, Japantown and Olvera Street (but you probably have that type of stuff in TX). If you can get a night show at the Disney Center (it's a musical auditorium, I don't remember the real name -- I saw Garrison Keillor's show) that's great but expensive (excellent restaurant there, but expensive, LOL). Edit -- and there's the Museum of Modern Art. The last time I was in that area it was for jury duty; but I learned about the Museum of Modern Art and they apparently have free Jazz concerts in the Summer on Thursday (I think) evening. The Museum itself is interesting, and the last time I was there, the featured show was some of the works of David Hockney.

I'm not sure how long you plan to visit. But if you can get down to our harbor (San Pedro), there's a small mall there (Ports of Call) and you can catch a one-hour ferry to Catalina Island (but that may be busy during the summer months). Driving along the coast -- in Palos Verdes and also Santa Monica-to-Malibu -- is illustrative of what Los Angeles should have been, LOL. Long Beach is just South of San Pedro, and Palos Verdes is just north - west. In Palos Verdes is a small tide pool area called Abalone Cove ($5.00 parking fee), which is relaxing and if you like to observe molluscs and urchins and octopi and planaria, it's okay (but not as good as Baja, where many of the same genera exist in greater abundance). But the cliffs and tide pools are picturesque.

Anyway, those are the "Mom-compatible" things to try in LA. I think of all of these, the Huntington Library is the "Can't miss" Mom thing to try. The library has Gainsborough's "Blue Boy," Lawrence's "Sarah Benett Boulton -Pinkie" and a Gutenberg Bible and the Gardens are excellent. One more thing, you may want to get tickets for the Tonight Show or Jimmy Kimmel... since you know you'll be in town. I'm not too familiar with this stuff, but Universal Studios, Burbank and all that is in that area.

http://www.1iota.com/show.aspx?sid=1

AlySinclair
08-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Neat! They like you, they really like you! ^^

Good luck!

MonsieurValentine
08-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Go eat at Katana, Asia de Cuba and El Carmen's. Oh, and Cynthia's is great also.

Dino Velvet
08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
If you are not a vegetarian, you gotta hit up Pink's(La Brea/Melrose) for a hot dog, Fatburger(La Cienega south of Beverly Center) for a burger, and Tito's Tacos(Sepulveda/Washington Pl in Culver City) for a burrito.

Other than Beverly Hills and Melrose for shopping/people watching, go to The Grove/Farmer's Market, Century City, Westwood Village, and Santa Monica Promenade. Venice Beach is also a good place to walk off your breakfast at one of the many outdoor cafes.

If you like to work out, you have to check out Gold's Gym in Venice Beach. There are massive freaks that work out there and you'll see a lot of celebs.

Take your mom to a LA Dodger game if you guys like baseball. We are very proud of Dodger Stadium as it has a lot of history and is a beautiful place with the mountain background. I've never had a bad time at a Dodger game.

Stay out of the ghetto. I don't care what you heard. That place sucks. People get shot there and they speak horrible English.

Legend
08-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Good luck jen!

saifan
08-14-2007, 01:10 AM
If you're into movies check out the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. It is probably one of the nicest theaters in the world.

NadiaUSA
08-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Go eat at Katana, Asia de Cuba and El Carmen's. Oh, and Cynthia's is great also.

Yes Katana on Sunset is fun and its in West Hollywood where the celebs party and get DUI. Maestros in Beverly hills on Canon is good for steaks near Rodeo Dr. Both open after 530pm

NadiaUSA
08-14-2007, 03:05 AM
I used to get offers for reality shows but thay all fizzled. Most were Jokers that had no funding yet but some were legit. Met some cool peole though.

hiwatt1000
08-14-2007, 04:24 AM
...screw it and just come over my place...these guys don't know what they're talking about...

peggygee
08-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Jen, first off break a leg. :wink:

Secondly I hope that all goes as you would
hope that it will, and that it furthers your
career.

Thirdly, try to rep for the transcommunity.
This could be a great opportunity to show
us in a positve light.

Fourthly, I'd say head to
Roscoes Chicken and Waffles, (http://www.roscoeschickenandwaffles.com/)
and then find a swap meet,
and do some retail therapy.

8)

tsntx
08-14-2007, 08:17 AM
haha thnx peggy.... chicken and waffles is a reality? i thought that was always just a bad punchline in movies lol

-j

Vala_TS
08-14-2007, 08:24 AM
haha thnx peggy.... chicken and waffles is a reality? i thought that was always just a bad punchline in movies lol

-j

So it is real? I did a search and apparently it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles

Vala,

KO47
08-14-2007, 08:45 AM
You HAVE to try the tacos and burritos at one of the many Mexican joints they have there. So good.

tsntx
08-14-2007, 08:52 AM
You HAVE to try the tacos and burritos at one of the many Mexican joints they have there. So good.

i live in south texas so i think im going to need more info on what a taco and burrito might be... could you ellaborate? -j :wink:

peggygee
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM

-j

No joke.

Oh, and if you see Quentin, Samuel, Jackie, Pam G. or Chris, give them
a shoutout from Peggygee. :wink:

And if you see Vivica, ask her has she read my treatment yet, her people
were supposed to have gotten back to me by now.

Roscoe's House of Chicken 'n' Waffles

Cuisine Breakfast, Southern

Hours Sun-Thurs 9am-midnight; Fri-Sat 8:30am-4am

Address 1514 N. Gower St

Location At Sunset Blvd, Hollywood

Phone 323/466-7453

Web site www.chickenandwaffles.com

Prices Main courses $4-$11

Credit Cards Not accepted

Other Metered street parking

Frommer's Review

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/losangeles/D40934.html

It sounds like a bad joke -- fried chicken and waffles on the same plate. But Roscoe's is one of those places that you have to visit at least once to see how it works (and judging by the wait, it definitely works). This Hollywood institution's proximity to CBS Television City has turned this Harlem-inspired restaurant into a kind of de facto commissary for the network. A chicken-and-cheese omelet isn't everyone's ideal way to begin the day, but it's de rigueur at Roscoe's. At lunch, few calorie-unconscious diners (and they come in all colors here) can resist the juicy fried chicken smothered in gravy and onions, a house specialty that's served with waffles or grits and biscuits. Large chicken-salad bowls and chicken sandwiches also provide plenty of cluck for the buck. Homemade corn bread, sweet-potato pie, homemade potato salad, and corn on the cob are available as side orders. Granted, the waffles are of Eggo quality and come with enough whipped butter to stop your heart, but the Southern-fried chicken is addictive. Tip: The waffles tend to come a bit undercooked, so ask for them crispy.

Locations
Roscoe's House of Chicken 'n Waffles has five locations throughout the Los Angeles metropolitan area:

Hollywood (1514 N. Gower St)
Los Angeles (5006 W. Pico Blvd)
Pasadena (830 N. Lake Ave)
Inglewood (106 W. Manchester Blvd)
Long Beach (730 E. Broadway Blvd)
Brooklyn, New York (Church Ave)

KO47
08-14-2007, 09:15 AM

i live in south texas so i think im going to need more info on what a taco and burrito might be... could you ellaborate? -j :wink:

Ahh yes, forgot. Texas has great food too. We're a bit deprived here in the northeast so I'm quick to point that out when someone mentions LA.

Make sure to visit Venice Beach tho, good times. Or do you guys have one in Texas too? :P

tsntx
08-14-2007, 09:19 AM

Ahh yes, forgot. Texas has great food too. We're a bit deprived here in the northeast so I'm quick to point that out when someone mentions LA.

Make sure to visit Venice Beach tho, good times. Or do you guys have one in Texas too? :P

well we have the a large portion of the gulf coast... but its nothing like the ocean

Balcanoid
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Just to mention:
This white spot is me and my friends as we`re heading for west coast for some wild parties...maybe we can come to LA to meet you? I mean, if you like it...?

tsntx
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
wow id hate to be on that boat

Galadriel
08-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Good luck in LA, tsntx (from a fellow Austin T). It would be great if you could shine some positive light on our community. All the best.

brill
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Roscoe's Chicken N Waffles is Awesome! It's a strange combination for sure, but oddly enough it works.

In-N-Out Burger is a Southern California staple as well. Great fast food burgers.

Gladstones (Malibu) A great seafood place right on the Pacific Ocean in Malibu. Great view.

Then there's the whole Hollywood scene - The Ivy on Robertson (paparatzi hiding nearby), Sunset Blvd, and all kinds of places tucked away in West Hollywood, Bev Hills. Sky Bar ( very cool ), Geisha House ( great sushi and great hang in Hollywood)

Where in LA are you staying in? LA's such a big place, there's plenty of things to see in local areas. But it's so big and traffic's a nightmare, that you could spend lots of time on the Freeway.

Hit me up if you need a LA tour guide. ;)

tsntx
08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Roscoe's Chicken N Waffles is Awesome! It's a strange combination for sure, but oddly enough it works.

In-N-Out Burger is a Southern California staple as well. Great fast food burgers.

Gladstones (Malibu) A great seafood place right on the Pacific Ocean in Malibu. Great view.

Then there's the whole Hollywood scene - The Ivy on Robertson (paparatzi hiding nearby), Sunset Blvd, and all kinds of places tucked away in West Hollywood, Bev Hills. Sky Bar ( very cool ), Geisha House ( great sushi and great hang in Hollywood)

Where in LA are you staying in? LA's such a big place, there's plenty of things to see in local areas. But it's so big and traffic's a nightmare, that you could spend lots of time on the Freeway.

Hit me up if you need a LA tour guide. ;)

im planning to hit the ivy... maybe the paparazzi will mistake for some other big star and my pics will be all over the tabloids "Britney FINALLY gets a good wig!!"

who knows -j

Balcanoid
08-14-2007, 04:57 PM
wow id hate to be on that boat

ooh, don`t worry honey, we will come to your place then... 8)
Of course, we would leave the youngster back on the boat...I don`t want to trouble you with baby-sitting!
Deal?

:D

tsntx
08-15-2007, 12:16 AM
ok heres a part of what the show ill be doing will be doing... part of it will have comedy PSA's... heres an example... what do you guys think?

http://www.hellohandsome.com/index.php

BrendaQG
08-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Dont' snap their front side "LOL" :-)

Kind of reminds me of MadTV.

tsntx
08-15-2007, 12:49 AM
Dont' snap their front side "LOL" :-)

Kind of reminds me of MadTV.

yeah i thought the whole idea was funny hopefully my stuff will be as well....

Quiet Reflections
08-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Good Luck with your show

Realgirls4me
08-15-2007, 02:01 AM

There are differences twixt those tacos and burritos from Texas (I'm sure Texans give their Mexican plates a twist) and California, mostly subtle ones I grant you, but they are noticeable differences nevertheless. It will depend on where you go. The sauces, spices, meat, cheeses, and hand, a genuine Mexican restaurant employs will make all the difference in the world. ...And gawd help those who come out to California and think real Mexican food can be had at your corner Taco Bell or El Pollo Loco. Not! :)

By the way, read everything Falrune said in his post again. Nail meet hammer. Dead on. :)

Enjoy your visit, Jen. :)

justatransgirl
08-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Hey Girl - that video is too funny!

Good for you honey! Go get 'em!

Things to do in LA - midnight breakfast at the Yukon Mining Co. I forget, it's on either Santa Manica Blvd or Sunset. Not sure it's Mom content approved... but can be quite educational. :-)

Last time I was there some guy wanted to go have sex in Griffith park. (And in a rare exhibition of good sense I refused... giggle)

Go down to the 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica down by the pier. There's a zillion things to do. Definately take a walk on Hollywood Blvd. And rub a buddas belly someplace! Best wishes honey.

Giggle,
TS Jamie

tsntx
08-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Girl - that video is too funny!

Good for you honey! Go get 'em!

Things to do in LA - midnight breakfast at the Yukon Mining Co. I forget, it's on either Santa Manica Blvd or Sunset. Not sure it's Mom content approved... but can be quite educational. :-)

Last time I was there some guy wanted to go have sex in Griffith park. (And in a rare exhibition of good sense I refused... giggle)

Go down to the 3rd St. Promenade in Santa Monica down by the pier. There's a zillion things to do. Definately take a walk on Hollywood Blvd. And rub a buddas belly someplace! Best wishes honey.

Giggle,
TS Jamie

thnx girl much appreciated... yeah ill be staying in santa monica so the pier i thought is a for sure... i wanna get tickets to ellen or something but dunno what ill have time for as i dont have an itenerary yet -j

supertrack999
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
The best place to go to is Les Deux in Hollywood. Thats the hot spot.. The Ivy is old.

tsntx
08-15-2007, 08:07 AM
The best place to go to is Les Deux in Hollywood. Thats the hot spot.. The Ivy is old.

never heard of it... not even on tmz lol

SWIDGIN
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
les deux is old as well...and ridiculously expensive. there's no name on the door, blah blah blah....pretentious horseshit. get pizza at mozza, try ivy by the shore and eat outside if you'll be in santa monica, and blow off venice beach. it's total cheese and any charm it once had is long gone. the pier is more pleasant. geoffrey's in malibu would be great for family...spendy but an amazing view...still feels sort of '80's L.A., but fun. the huntley in santa monica has a great new penthouse restaurant with killer sea views. Gladstones is all about the view...the food is awful. Try Ago in west hollywood or Lucques...really amazing food and an upper echelon scene. if you like organic/healthy stuff there is an amazing place built into a hill on topanga canyon called "the inn of the seventh ray". get cupcakes at sprinkles if you go to bev hills. downtown; got to phillipes french dip sandwiches... the place is one hundred years old and a blast. burgers: the apple pan. pm me if you'd like more choices, or if you need a entertainment biz ear....and break a leg!!!