PDA

View Full Version : MAN Vs WILD = BOGUS

hwbs
08-01-2007, 06:28 PM
SURVIVALIST CHARGED WITH CUSHY SHORTCUTS
By DON KAPLAN
IN THE MUCK: Bear Grylls shows off his survival skill on "Man vs. Wild," but an expert who says he worked on the show claims some stunts are faked.July 24, 2007 -- Discovery Channel he-man Bear Grylls, the host of the survival-skills show "Man vs. Wild," is barely the man he seems to be on TV.

On the program, Grylls appears to camp out in quickly-built shelters deep in the wilderness while battling hypothermia and dehydration. But when the cameras stop rolling, Grylls has actually moved to luxurious hotels.

In the last two seasons, he and producers have contrived other scenes to make it appear as if Grylls is more skilled than he really is, a consultant for the show told The Times of London.

"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive," said Mark Weinert, an Oregon-based survival consultant, who said producers hired him as an adviser for the show.

Discovery Channel officials declined to comment, but in the U.K., where the show airs with the title "Born Survivor," stunned network officials at Channel 4 said they are conducting an internal investigation.

"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," a spokeswoman for the network said.

"Moving forward the program will be 100 percent transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained up-front to our viewers. In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately."

According to Weinert, while filming in California's Sierra Nevada mountains - an episode in which Grylls, 33, is seen biting off the head of a snake for breakfast - Grylls actually spent some nights with the show's crew in a lodge outfitted with television, stone fireplaces, hot tubs and Internet access.

The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as "a cozy getaway for families" and is a luxurious hotel with its own spa on a lake.

In another instance, where Grylls was supposed to be surviving on a desert island, he was actually in Hawaii and spent nights at a motel, Weinert said.

The same episode had Grylls building a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo, hibiscus twine and palm leaves for a sail. Weinert said he actually led a team of builders to construct the raft.

It was then taken apart so that Grylls could be shown building it on camera.

In another episode, viewers watched as Grylls tried to coax what seemed like a wild mustang into a lasso in the Sierra Nevada.

"I'm in luck," he told viewers, apparently coming across four wild horses grazing in a meadow. "A chance to use an old Native American mode of transport comes my way. This is one of the few places in the whole of the U.S. where horses still roam wild."

In fact, Weinert said, the horses were not wild but were brought in by trailer.

Tanuki
08-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for posting this.. I like that show.. I have watched every episode..

I had a laugh with some friends about it tho..
its ridiculous compared to survivorman.

There is an early episode of man vs wild. where Bear is running around in the mountains of sierra nevada, whilst looking at the camera and announcing that the one thing that he misses is human contact.. AND THERE IS A CAMERAMAN FILMING HIM!!!!!
hahahaahah
great show tho..

Vala_TS
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I KNEW IT! I knew he was a faker! I always liked Survivorman better anyway.

Vala,

hwbs
08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
yeah he is..he even does all of his own camerawork

tsntx
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM
isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field,"

thats understandable

laoda8
08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Why wouldn't you want to masturbate in the jungle, so many natural oils present.

SarahG
08-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Why wouldn't you want to masturbate in the jungle, so many natural oils present.

And jungle fungus's and other diseases. I have a few friends who are still suffering from stuff they were exposed to in the jungle in the late 60s.

hwbs
08-02-2007, 02:27 AM
isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field,"

thats understandable

that is only one part...what bout hanging at a spa....the constructed raft by a team of others... the planted horses, etc ..there should of been some disclaimer instead of pretending he did all this shit himself or didnt stay the whole 7 days in the wild ...

Tanuki
08-02-2007, 06:13 AM
I think its STILL a really great show.. I think that when they started making the show they did not know exactly how and what it was supposed to be.. After season one was so succesful and everyone REALLY realized how insanely HARDCORE BEAR GRYLLS is.. they seem to have reconsidered elements of the shows production. I have seen him interviewed a few times and he has been thru the shit.

If there is some outside help because it makes for some great tv.. THE Raft episode was out of control at the end when he was on that raft and the Tiger shark was swimming around it.. Fuck yeah. it was worth it for that shark footage..

In the future I will hope that they reform their techniques and come at it in a more honest way.

Survivorman is already doing its thing and it would be have TWO shows with the same premise.

TJT
08-02-2007, 06:51 AM
I don't know,I remember seeing the first episode. Bear got the runs in that one from bad water and the camera crew bailed his butt out.

My take on the whole thing is Survivorman picked up a buzz in it's first two seasons but Discovery felt that Les was too dull and butt ugly to take it to another level? So they trot out Man vs. Wild on the same night with a talkative Hugh Grant clone to broaden the audience and make a smooth transition.

Tanuki
08-02-2007, 06:59 AM
yeah.. bear is a bit of a pretty boy. and thats annoying..
not to mention he carries FLINT! wuss.

Les Stroud is "better" because he really risks his life. I agree with your point TJT, but bear catches trout with his hands and all that.

NadiaUSA
08-02-2007, 07:02 AM
They are both the best show on Discovery. I dont care if he has help. If I was the producer I would make him climb the waterfall 10 times untill I got the shot I wanted. and you cant do that if you have no food.

They just need disclaimers. Bear is handsome and Les is charming.

Here is a picture of me surviving on Rodeo drive.

Dkg
08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
It's tv. Just about everything on tv is fake. Even "reality" shows, esp reality shows. Not surprising at all....oh and survivorman is better, imo.

the only "Real" stuff on tv are the court shows, cops, and blind date type stuff.

justatransgirl
08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," a spokeswoman for the network said.

Yeah - like maybe a helicopter lift to the Mariott for the night...

Giggle,
TS Jamie

youcancallmeclaire
08-02-2007, 07:08 PM
You've got to give Bear some credit. The guy did drink the fluid out of elephant poop in the Africa episode.
Unless it was just a saturated bran muffin or something. Even still, it was the nastiest thing I have ever seen on cable. :?

ottorocket
08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
It's tv. Just about everything on tv is fake. Even "reality" shows, esp reality shows. Not surprising at all....oh and survivorman is better, imo.

the only "Real" stuff on tv are the court shows, cops, and blind date type stuff.

Its all entertainment. BTW you look hawt on Rodeo, i bet you stopped traffic.

3wordman
08-02-2007, 07:35 PM
bear
kicks
ass

Tomfurbs
08-02-2007, 08:31 PM
I went to the same school as the dude. He came and gave a talk on the show he did with the French Foreign Legion. I met him afterwards at the reception type thingy. He seemed cool and down to earth, totally unlike the unnecessarily intense screen persona he has. I think he lives on a house boat on the Thames

manbearpig
08-08-2007, 06:33 AM
:) [/img]

NadiaUSA
08-08-2007, 06:58 AM
In another episode, viewers watched as Grylls tried to coax what seemed like a wild mustang into a lasso in the Sierra Nevada.

"I'm in luck," he told viewers, apparently coming across four wild horses grazing in a meadow. "A chance to use an old Native American mode of transport comes my way. This is one of the few places in the whole of the U.S. where horses still roam wild."

In fact, Weinert said, the horses were not wild but were brought in by trailer.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS FUNNY, WHEN I SAW IT I SAID "HEY THOSE HORSES PROBBABLY BELONG TO SOMEONE, THERES NO WILD HORSES , HE IS ON SOMEONES RANCH"

TomSelis
08-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Awww....shucks. There's always Survivorman!

partlycloudy
08-16-2007, 03:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is

TopHeavyCutie
08-16-2007, 03:46 AM
You see boys and girls......

Bear is the type of MF you dont wanna mess with.....You can drop him off anywhere on this planet...and he will still make it back to you in one or several pieces. He puts the terminator to shame! He'll keep coming and coming and coming!!! and absolutely will not stop! So what if he takes a few shorts cuts here and there...No one can fake most of thhe stuff he does. About 80 or 85% of people on this planet cannot make or know how to make a fire from scratch. That in its self..is one hell of a skill to learn. People criticize him for slleping in a bed. He doesnt have to if he doenst want to!

I think Bear Grylls is an ok guy! Anyone that teaches you how to stay alive and SURVIVE is ok in my book.

youcancallmeclaire
08-16-2007, 04:20 AM

Awesome. :lol:

Bigguy
08-16-2007, 06:14 AM
LOL good one. :lol: :lol:

NYCe
08-16-2007, 06:17 AM
The show is fake, Bear Grylls is the real deal. He gave a motivational speech at a company I worked for a few years back. He had the whole staff ready to go to work with a just a napkin and a spork.

zooch
08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
LIES. Bear is a bad mf. He was in the elite UK Special Forces. He could do it.

hentai_ninja
08-16-2007, 08:39 AM
That show never really appealed to me. It was pretty funny how he enjoyed snapping a rabbits neck and slitting the throat of squirrel. (Or at least I think it was a squirrel)