PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather -

dreamer
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I watched part I earlier "today" (yesterday -whatever) ---and I caught a mistake in the plot ---this may be wrong -and/or it may be old news ---but I noticed it for the first time in maybe fifty times --

Michael is over in Sicili sp? --with beautiful Appolonia sp? -----now Carlo beats the crap out of a pregnant Connie ---Santino leaves the estate in a raging fury and gets blown away -----Connie was already pregnant ---say for 2 --maybe 3 months ------

Michael approaches Kate --in a park ---and she asks "how long have you been back?" ----Michael tells her "for a year --maybe more" ---

then Don Corleone passes away ----and THEN Michael is in the church baptising Connie's new born baby --------

Now --that WAS Connie and Carlo's first and only child --right? ---------how the hell did Connie stay pregnant for much more than a year? ------I mean Michael was over in Italy when they showed Carlo beating her up --and her stomach was clearly showing ----and then he tells Kate he's been back for more that a year ------?????

Maybe Michael was just lying to Kate ---or --Connie is part elephant ---

either way ---great movie ---always will be

Azanti
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Sometimes babies are baptized later on.... not straight after birth.

dreamer
07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
yeah --you're right ---but the baby in the movie still looked pink and fresh ---maybe they chose the wrong actor/baby ---

melissacarter
07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
The baby is in fact, Sophia Coppola.

The trilogoy is loaded with family connections. Talia Shire is, I believe, Francis Ford Coppola's sister. Original music was created by his dad, Carmine Coppola. And in GF 3 there is a brief scene on the streets of Little Italy with Martin Scorsese's mother. And of course Sophia has a starring role in GF 3.

Coroner
07-30-2007, 03:40 PM

The trilogoy is loaded with family connections. Talia Shire is, I believe, Francis Ford Coppola's sister. Original music was created by his dad, Carmine Coppola. And in GF 3 there is a brief scene on the streets of Little Italy with Martin Scorsese's mother. And of course Sophia has a starring role in GF 3.

The original score as the whole album was composed by Nino Rota who was also Fellini´s standard composer.

melissacarter
07-30-2007, 10:24 PM

The original score as the whole album was composed by Nino Rota who was also Fellini´s standard composer.

You're right. It was Godfather 3 that Carmine composed music. thank you.

peggygee
07-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I watched part I earlier "today" (yesterday -whatever) ---and I caught a mistake in the plot ---this may be wrong -and/or it may be old news ---but I noticed it for the first time in maybe fifty times --

Michael is over in Sicili sp? --with beautiful Appolonia sp? -----now Carlo beats the crap out of a pregnant Connie ---Santino leaves the estate in a raging fury and gets blown away -----Connie was already pregnant ---say for 2 --maybe 3 months ------

Michael approaches Kate --in a park ---and she asks "how long have you been back?" ----Michael tells her "for a year --maybe more" ---

then Don Corleone passes away ----and THEN Michael is in the church baptising Connie's new born baby --------

Now --that WAS Connie and Carlo's first and only child --right? ---------how the hell did Connie stay pregnant for much more than a year? ------I mean Michael was over in Italy when they showed Carlo beating her up --and her stomach was clearly showing ----and then he tells Kate he's been back for more that a year ------?????

Maybe Michael was just lying to Kate ---or --Connie is part elephant ---

either way ---great movie ---always will be

I remember that line in the movie, and thought the same thing.

I chalked it up to one of those suspension of disbelief deals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief)

Other than that, I try not to ask Michael too much about his business.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/al_pacino_godfather.jpg

hondarobot
07-30-2007, 11:23 PM
I never really cared for The Godfather. It's not a bad movie, it's just not that great, in my opinion. It does have some classic scenes. Coppola thought Apocalypse Now would end up being a disaster, and that was probably his best movie.

Rod la Rod
07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
IMHO the Godfather 1 and 2 are probably the greatest works of cinematic art in the history of American film. I would say that "Apocalypse Now", is also one the greatest American movies ever made along with "The Conversation".

Like many of the great geniuses in history both in the arts and sciences, Francis Ford Coppola had flashes of brilliance in his early career which he was never able to reproduce later in life.

TJT
07-31-2007, 03:45 AM
He had a breakdown during the filming of Apocalypse Now and has never been the same.

His last good film was "The Cotton Club",IMO, but it goes under the radar.

Using Sofia Coppola in Godfather III was proof of how out of touch he finally got. There was no excuse for that.

ohioboy
07-31-2007, 03:54 AM
....IN the Godfather part 2, Michael mentions that Connie only sees her 'kids' on weekends...so that suggests that she could have been pregnant again a year later around the time Michael stood as godfather.

peggygee
07-31-2007, 03:59 AM
He had a breakdown during the filming of Apocalypse Now and has never been the same.

His last good film was "The Cotton Club",IMO, but it goes under the radar.

Using Sofia Coppola in Godfather III was proof of how out of touch he finally got. There was no excuse for that.

The Cotton Club is a very good movie, with a stellar cast.

Folks should try to see it, if they are fans of the gangster genre.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087089/fullcredits#cast

ohioboy
07-31-2007, 04:08 AM
She ruinded the movie. I can't stand 3

ezed
07-31-2007, 05:37 AM
IMHO the Godfather 1 and 2 are probably the greatest works of cinematic art in the history of American film. I would say that "Apocalypse Now", is also one the greatest American movies ever made along with "The Conversation".

Like many of the great geniuses in history both in the arts and sciences, Francis Ford Coppola had flashes of brilliance in his early career which he was never able to reproduce later in life.

Totally agree with you, but I prefer "Apocalypse Now - Redux".

dreamer
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
yeah --I forget which channel ---but it was "the weekend you can't refuse" ----I caught the end of part III ------my GOD ---that was GREAT acting -when Pacino was on the opera house stairs just after his daughter wilted -----he sat there with his mouth wide open for like 15 seconds ----I thought he had breathed his last breath ----wow ---crazy ---

LG
07-31-2007, 04:48 PM

I'd say the the first and second of the Godfather trilogy rate amongst the top (certainly amongst IMDB users they are at number 1 and number 3 on the list) , but, in my opinion (and this is all about opinions, since there is no definitive position) Scorsese's Raging Bull was a more powerful film and it featured possibly the single greatest performance by any actor in modern cinema. That would be my number one.

The Godfather Part III was a disappointment however. And it was unfortunate that it came out in the same year as a mob movie that was infinitely better. Goodfellas, for me, was almost equally good to the first two Godfather films and a little more hip and fast-paced.

Since those first two masterpieces, Coppola has blown hot and cold. Some of his recent films have been very disappointing but he has become involved less and less, preferring perhaps to mentor his daughter and to occupy himself with his vineyards and wine production. He has been producer or executive producer on some great films (Sleepy Hollow, Kinsey and Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides ) and on some mediocre movies (such as Jeepers Creepers) but his directorial efforts have included films like Jack.

Scorsese, on the other hand, has continued making great films.

Tomfurbs
07-31-2007, 05:18 PM
'The Conversation' is Coppola's best film IMHO

One of the best twists in cinema

peggygee
07-31-2007, 08:05 PM

I'd say the the first and second of the Godfather trilogy rate amongst the top (certainly amongst IMDB users they are at number 1 and number 3 on the list) , but, in my opinion (and this is all about opinions, since there is no definitive position) Scorsese's Raging Bull was a more powerful film and it featured possibly the single greatest performance by any actor in modern cinema. That would be my number one.

The Godfather Part III was a disappointment however. And it was unfortunate that it came out in the same year as a mob movie that was infinitely better. Goodfellas, for me, was almost equally good to the first two Godfather films and a little more hip and fast-paced.

Since those first two masterpieces, Coppola has blown hot and cold. Some of his recent films have been very disappointing but he has become involved less and less, preferring perhaps to mentor his daughter and to occupy himself with his vineyards and wine production. He has been producer or executive producer on some great films (Sleepy Hollow, Kinsey and Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides ) and on some mediocre movies (such as Jeepers Creepers) but his directorial efforts have included films like Jack.

Scorsese, on the other hand, has continued making great films.

For Coppola, in my opinion Godfather 1 & 2, will forever be known as his
best work.

1974's, 'The Conversation' with Gene Hackman and Harrison Ford is a
laudable film, but one wonders if Hackman was again trotting out his
paranoid security expert in Enemy Of The State, leaving the viewer to
ponder, where have I seen this before.

For Scorsese, I would go with Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and
Gangs Of New York, as my personal faves from him.

TJT
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Someday a rain is gonna come......