PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista sucks!

Silcc69
07-21-2007, 03:01 AM
I juat got a Core 2 Duo laptop and i'm not impressed with Vista at all. I thinking about just goin back to XP. I got sum video;s on my HD and when i wanna go foward a lil bit it freezes up for a while.

rick_932
07-21-2007, 03:08 AM
theres many others who agree with you:

http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22791

dan_drade
07-21-2007, 03:51 AM
Vista does suck right now. It will make a fast dual core computer run as fast as an old 8086 computer. If I were you I would return it and get XP instead. Vista will probably be ok after service pack 1 is released later this year or early next year, or later next year, or early the year after...
You get the picture :)

ducktales
07-21-2007, 04:06 AM
i got vista ultimate and ALL my devices work with it, and its extremely fast, not to mention all the nifty features

wjcdiver
07-21-2007, 04:38 AM
It just loses files.

poof.

Realgirls4me
07-21-2007, 05:05 AM
:violin :violin :violin :violin

:soapbox :soapbox :soapbox :soapbox

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

I bet it's a "screamer" too, right?

... When will people come around to an Apple?

ducktales
07-21-2007, 05:09 AM

when the lower the price about 2 grand

Realgirls4me
07-21-2007, 05:19 AM

I will agree wholeheartily with you that they are way overpriced, as are all of Apple's products, but Jaysus, think of all the headaches you'd save? What good is having a "screamer" if it crashes, freezes, or loses files, etc., frequently ? Unless you have to live in a Windows enviroment because of your livelihood, etc, why torture yourself?

fitz207
07-21-2007, 07:50 AM
I juat got a Core 2 Duo laptop and i'm not impressed with Vista at all. I thinking about just goin back to XP. I got sum video;s on my HD and when i wanna go foward a lil bit it freezes up for a while.
I have a core 2 duo as well but mine is a desktop. How much memory does your laptop have? Trust me if you have less than 2gigs vista is very slow.

Btw dual cores only run faster when running multiple applications, but aren't that much faster when running single applications.

Upgrade to 2G or more of memory and vista will run very fast.

justatransgirl
07-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Great - we've got to buy a new computer for video editing. Everything else in our production line uses XP.

I'm really not looking forward to Vista.

Am I going to have compatibility problems with my other systems and the network?

And how much ram would be recommended to enable Vista to run PLUS running multiple high end video and photo programs while rendering images and vids? (Vegas, Photoshop, Premiere, etc) Plus the web, etc.

Currently our main editing computer is some sort of high end whiz-bang AMD super graphic and game system with 4gig of Ram and about a terrabyte of storage - and the damm thing never works - and Jessica just lost an ENTIRE DVD after it was edited but before it was backed up when the &$&$#@^ system crashed for the umpteenth time and I'm fed up.

Suggestions appreciated.

Grrrr,
TS Jamie

sirmartinfrobisher
07-21-2007, 09:06 AM
The US Government issued an instruction to its purchasing agencies not to buy Vista which may be the reason why Dell changed its Vista-Only policy earlier this year. I have only heard that it looks good every other comment has been negative. As far as I am concerned, XP does the job so I will stick with it. Linux is too nerdy and the Mac has its uses, especially for graphics, but it, and its software, are too expensive.

odelay24
07-21-2007, 11:17 AM
happy mac user :D

fitz207
07-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Great - we've got to buy a new computer for video editing. Everything else in our production line uses XP.

I'm really not looking forward to Vista.

Am I going to have compatibility problems with my other systems and the network?

And how much ram would be recommended to enable Vista to run PLUS running multiple high end video and photo programs while rendering images and vids? (Vegas, Photoshop, Premiere, etc) Plus the web, etc.

Currently our main editing computer is some sort of high end whiz-bang AMD super graphic and game system with 4gig of Ram and about a terrabyte of storage - and the damm thing never works - and Jessica just lost an ENTIRE DVD after it was edited but before it was backed up when the &$&$#@^ system crashed for the umpteenth time and I'm fed up.

Suggestions appreciated.

Grrrr,
TS Jamie
Hi, Jamie

I also have 4G of ram and some of the high end editing software on my puter, and it runs without freezing up or anything. With that type of heavy duty editing software you should look for a new system with 4GB of ram installed or one that can be upgraded to 4GB or MORE of ram.

Just wait for the service pack to come out, and vista will be much lighter on ram.

Jack59
07-21-2007, 04:08 PM
From what I've heard Vista's biggest problem is that it's a memory hog. Make sure you have 1 gig more or double the RAM reccommended for the app, whichever is larger, and things should work correctly.

IRRC XP had the same problem when it first came out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft. :p ;)

Jericho
07-21-2007, 05:26 PM
happy mac user :D

Virus
Inside
Switch
To
Apple

That'll be the day! :lol:

Willie Escalade
07-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm sticking with XP.

youcancallmeclaire
07-25-2007, 07:58 PM

I will agree wholeheartily with you that they are way overpriced, as are all of Apple's products, but Jaysus, think of all the headaches you'd save? What good is having a "screamer" if it crashes, freezes, or loses files, etc., frequently ? Unless you have to live in a Windows enviroment because of your livelihood, etc, why torture yourself?

Sometimes I wonder if I should be jealous about my girlfriend's new 64bit AMD machine... It cost her like $300 total... it's got 4 gb ram with room for 8...

And I'm stuck with 2gb on my DP G4... which cost $4500 new...

But watching her re-install windows 7 or 8 times in the last month has been fucking hilarious.
The 32bit version of XP won't recognise more than 3.5gb of ram, so she "upgraded" to the 64bit version of XP and lost compatibility with her CD and DVD drives because there are no 64bit drivers made for them. :lol: Sometimes she will come home from work and her computer will have randomly shut itself off at some point during the day.

I'm glad I dropped $4k on a machine that has worked flawlessly for the last 5 years. I couldn't live without OSX. <3

Miss Ray
07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
I have just brought a new laptop and a new desktop both using Vista. I'm not a fan of Vista over XP so far but then I was the same when I moved from 2000 Pro to XP. If you are running XP now then I would say stick with it for the time being.

mistab
07-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Recently purchased a new computer w/ Vista...used it for about 3 days-couldn't use my old scanner or some of my old software....also always annoyingly asked if I wanted to perform the tasks that I had clicked on....had enough...backed up Vista, then deleted it and installed XP and linux Mint as a dual boot machine...no problems...just my 2 cents

Silcc69
07-25-2007, 10:23 PM
I've got 1 gig of memory bout to get another but the main problem i have is when encoding video files it slows down to a crawl. Both cores are runing around 98%

fitz207
07-26-2007, 03:24 AM
I've got 1 gig of memory bout to get another but the main problem i have is when encoding video files it slows down to a crawl. Both cores are runing around 98%
What encoder are you using? Are you using filters? If so that can slow down encoding times. My core2duo encodes around 50-75 fps.

Your cpu could be running hot. Have you checked your heat sink for leaks?

john69
12-30-2007, 12:05 AM

Me to i have HP laptop!! Is very Good!!! vista is NO Good!!! Only XP Profesiolan!!!!!!!!!!

kilrjo
12-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Ducktales is right, Vista IS fast IF you buy the 64 bit version, not the cheapo home stuff. With the 64 bit version, you can also use 4+gigs of memory as well.