PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite Twilight Zone episodes

Legend
07-04-2007, 04:08 AM
The Sci-fi channel is doing their annual fourth of july TZ marathon,i forgot how great that show was and the genius that was rod sterling.This show was truly beyond its time.Here are some of my favorites episodes,

1.Shatner in a plane
2.All the time in the world
3.Humans are the ugly ones
4.Shop dummy thinks she is real
5.Hitler made me do it
6Guy tries to kill a little girl's doll
7.Guy thinks he is in heaven but turns out to be hell
(not offical episodes names if you couldn't tell)

hondarobot
07-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Nearly all the Twilight Zone episodes were great. The one with the little kid who's dead grandmother was calling him on the toy phone, urging him to drown himself was particularily disturbing. It's amazing something like that got onto television.

BTW, Legend, OK, the Khloe Hart situation. All nearly any of us know is restricted to posts made on this forum. Anybody who wasn't directly involved, wasn't involved. That's all there is to it, when ya think about it.

But yeah, the original Twilight Zone, probably the best show ever.

ducktales
07-04-2007, 04:33 AM
to serve man

Jericho
07-04-2007, 04:34 AM
To serve humans.
...when they find out it's a cookbook! :shock:

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 04:43 AM
"Changing of the Guard", with the late Donald Pleasance playing an old college professor being forced to retire from the job he loves.

Great quote in that episode:

"Be ashamed to die, until you have won some [moral?] victory for humanity"

ducktales
07-04-2007, 04:44 AM
To serve humans.

yep best episode ever

hondarobot
07-04-2007, 05:00 AM
"To Serve Man", great episode. Kinda a one trick pony, though.

It's really hard to beat "It's A Good Life". The characters motivation is basically "If we just hit this asshole magically powerful kids head with a rock, would that kill him? Why don't you try it, I don't want to get sent to the cornfield."

heh. It's a great little story.

SmashysmashY
07-04-2007, 05:06 AM
That's a pretty good list but I would add "Nick of time" to that, which also starred William Shatner.

TrueBeauty TS
07-04-2007, 05:21 AM
I can quote lines from almost any episode. So many are favorites of mine.

One of my favs is the one with Jonathan Winters and Jack Klugman playing pool.

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 05:27 AM

Thank you. I know exactly what episode you are talking about. ...I was just about to post the suggestion that you guys offer something more than just a title, like actually providing the actors' names, or a brief synopsis of the episode. Hello ?

hondarobot
07-04-2007, 05:28 AM

Another great episode. A friend of The Zone, is a friend to me.

:)

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 05:28 AM
I had every single episode on my 500GB hard drive. The one that fell to the floor and broke, lol.

The floor or the hard drive?

(rim shot) :D

hondarobot
07-04-2007, 05:34 AM
I had every single episode on my 500GB hard drive. The one that fell to the floor and broke, lol.

Talk about TZ related irony.

:P

flabbybody
07-04-2007, 05:45 AM
what about the one where the guy crash lands on another planet and ends up being in a nice apartment but it's really a zoo for the Martians to watch humans in their natural habitat? (Rody McDowell is the actor)

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I still think that the original Outer Limits was as good, if not better, than the Twilight Zone. Where the TZ could get farcical at times("Mr Henry J Beamer" etc), the OL always came through with more serious episodes which could take fantasy, drama, mystery, horror, and sci-fi into another level. I would argue that, "The Galaxy Being", with Cliff Robertson making contact with this being from another planet, was one of the best Sci-fi episodes ever, and episodes like, "The Architects of Fear" being very good also. Great writers and directors on that show, despite the $4.39 budget. ...I also loved the one where a young man (some British actor) is forwarded into the future thousands of years and returns evolved into some super human with powers beyond that of modern man. Great show.

TrueBeauty TS
07-04-2007, 05:54 AM
This is another one of my Favs.... The Obsolete Man.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone2-29.html

The episode also is still very relevant today. Maybe more now than ever.

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Neat Sci-fi website, TS. Here is one show I was talking about which I found there. Great episode.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/outerlimits/outerlimits1-5.html

:)

Felicia Katt
07-04-2007, 06:08 AM
I had a hard time picking a favorite, but if pressed, I would select The Monsters are Due on Maple Street

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone1-22.html

Very prescient to the world we live in today, where irrational fear is fostered and exploited for political gain. and where, ironically, we call our enemies terrorists, when we use fear and terror to cause nearly as much damage to our principles as any car bomb might do to our populace.

FK

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Many of those episodes, from both the Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, were timeless in what they were trying to convey. Therein lies the reason for their popularity -- their writing/message trancends time and the human condition.

Kramer
07-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Wow, no one mentioned the one where a small space ship lands on the roof of this old woman. She runs around chasing noises and a robot with a knife. Then she goes up on the roof and crushed the spaceship. And the ship has USA printed on it. Very deep......

TrueBeauty TS
07-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Wow, no one mentioned the one where a small space ship lands on the roof of this old woman. She runs around chasing noises and a robot with a knife. Then she goes up on the roof and crushed the spaceship. And the ship has USA printed on it. Very deep......

Yes. The Invaders with Agnes Moorehead. No speaking lines in the entire episode until the very end.

Realgirls4me
07-04-2007, 06:19 AM

You just reminded me of another Outer Limit fav, "Second Chance":

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/outerlimits/outerlimits1-23.html

It's about some amusement park patrons who unexpectedly get on this flying saucer they thought was a park ride ... it turns out being the real thing. Great episode. :)

Kramer
07-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Yes, the SOS calls from the spaceship...

Legend
07-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Nearly all the Twilight Zone episodes were great. The one with the little kid who's dead grandmother was calling him on the toy phone, urging him to drown himself was particularily disturbing. It's amazing something like that got onto television.

BTW, Legend, OK, the Khloe Hart situation. All nearly any of us know is restricted to posts made on this forum. Anybody who wasn't directly involved, wasn't involved. That's all there is to it, when ya think about it.

But yeah, the original Twilight Zone, probably the best show ever.

Yeah some of the episodes were beyond their time and some reflect things going on today like FK stated.About the original being the best i agree,they tried to make a updated version with forest whitaker as the narrator but it flopped big time.

Legend
07-04-2007, 06:35 AM
Since were talking about other TZ related shows anyone remember tales from the darkside i mean it's quality wasn't up there with TZ or the outer limits but it was pretty fair,

That intro still gives me chills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnE3-0X-174

TrueBeauty TS
07-04-2007, 08:11 PM
And another Fav.... The Hunt.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone3-19.html

I just realized it was written by the real "John-Boy Walton" Earl Hamner.

Gatekeeper: "You see, Mr. Simpson, a man...well, he'll walk right into Hell with both eyes open. But even the Devil can't fool a dog!"

crayons
07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
To serve humans.

there was a simpson's episode like that too, where kotos, pang and cecil the propeller kidnapped the family and just wanted to feed them.

"wait, you thought we were going to eat you?"
"i slaved in the kitchen for days...."
"if you wanted to make cecil the propelar cry there... mission acomplished!"

Jericho
07-04-2007, 08:29 PM
To serve humans.

yep best episode ever

I just noticed, you beat me to it [AND got the title right :lol: ]

Legend
07-04-2007, 08:37 PM
"Eye of the Beholder" another good episode,

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone2-6.html

http://i13.tinypic.com/4v797aa.jpg

Jericho
07-04-2007, 09:01 PM
there was a simpson's episode like that too, where kotos, pang and cecil the propeller kidnapped the family and just wanted to feed them.

Heh, one of the Halloween specials, wasn't it?

Was this the Twilight Zone or something else?
All the nations of the world try to come up with a peace plan within 24 hours or they think they'll be destroyed by aliens, when really, they were supposed to be fighting.

SmashysmashY
07-04-2007, 09:32 PM
"Nick of time"

With bad ass William Shatner

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/grw311/043-NickofTime.gif

"JACK
If you could fight any celebrity, who would you fight?

TYLER
Alive or dead?

JACK
Doesn't matter, who'd be tough?

TYLER
Hemingway. You?

JACK
Shatner. I'd fight William Shatner." - Fight Club

TomSelis
07-05-2007, 03:46 AM
I don't know the names of them either, but here's a synopsis of a few that I like:

1) The one where the ballerina, soldier, clown, etc are stuck in a room with no windows or doors

2) The one where the people are in the diner trying to figure out which one of them is an alien.

3) Amazing Maxo. Washed up boxer (Lee Marvin) tries to act like a robot boxer and gets his ass handed to him.

4) The one where Robert Redford is a wounded cop and the old lady won't let him in.

5) The one where the old man is dying during Mardi Gras. He makes his family wear grotesque carnival masks to get his inheritence and midnight they take the masks off and..........

Legend
07-05-2007, 04:09 AM
I don't know the names of them either, but here's a synopsis of a few that I like:

1) The one where the ballerina, soldier, clown, etc are stuck in a room with no windows or doors

2) The one where the people are in the diner trying to figure out which one of them is an alien.

3) Amazing Maxo. Washed up boxer (Lee Marvin) tries to act like a robot boxer and gets his ass handed to him.

4) The one where Robert Redford is a wounded cop and the old lady won't let him in.

5) The one where the old man is dying during Mardi Gras. He makes his family wear grotesque carnival masks to get his inheritence and midnight they take the masks off and..........

1.Bizarre ending who would had thought that they were trying to escape from a salvation army toy box.

2.One alien got owned by another

3.Toughest part is he took that ass whooping and didn't even get payed.

4.Didn't see this one

5.I watched this episode a long time ago,i remember the masked being pernament.

TomSelis
07-05-2007, 06:45 AM
1.Bizarre ending who would had thought that they were trying to escape from a salvation army toy box.

2.One alien got owned by another

3.Toughest part is he took that ass whooping and didn't even get payed.

4.Didn't see this one

5.I watched this episode a long time ago,i remember the masked being pernament.

1. Yup, I remember thinking "What would I do in....oh shit they're toys!"

2. That cracks me up till this day

3. I remember Rod saying at the end, "The moral of this story is simple: Man cannot beat machine."

4. Robert Redford turns out to be the angel of death, he gives the old woman a gentle death.

5. They took the masks off and their faces looked just like the masks, the old man dies happy.

flabbybody
07-05-2007, 07:02 AM
just saw the one where the lady has a nightmare about global warming (aka Al Gore) and then wakes up to world in a deadly deep freeze. The doctor says he's taking his family to Florida but it's only a matter of time til they're all dead because Earth is spinning away from the sun.

TomSelis
07-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Oh! I forgot about the one with the old woman receiving strange phone calls. She keeps hanging up. Tuurned out it was her dead husband because of a downed telephone line.

Realgirls4me
07-05-2007, 07:23 AM

Yes. The Invaders with Agnes Moorehead. No speaking lines in the entire episode until the very end.

That just ended here.

Before that was, To Serve Man, which I forgot featured the voice of the actor in the tall alien (Richard Keil). ...This voice/actor also played a Genie in another Twilight Zone episode, who granted three wishes to the owner of a rundown shop. :

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tz/twilightzone2-2.html

A better title for that particular episode might have been "Be Careful What You Ask For".

Anyone who went to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion in past years were treated to Ruskin's voice as one entered the parlor that stretched. That voice was just so cool. Anyone know if the mansion still features that voice?

hiwatt1000
07-05-2007, 10:03 AM
..."the hunt"...that's the all-time good one...what a line about the dog as smelling brimstone...

TrueBeauty TS
07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Anyone who went to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion in past years were treated to Ruskin's voice as one entered the parlor that stretched. That voice was just so cool. Anyone know if the mansion still features that voice?

Didn't know (or remember) that they used his voice, but I do know that they used Thurl Ravenscroft's (aka Tony the Tiger) voice A LOT at Disney. In fact, you can see his face in one of the "statues" that are singing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurl_Ravenscroft

dreamer
07-06-2007, 07:06 AM
How about the one where the dude and the chick wake up in a strange house --and come to find out that everything is just a stage prop ---phone --drawers --trees ---even sqirrels -----they get on that train --and find out it only goes in circles ---------turns out that they're now the pets of a giant little girl ------then at the end --the narrator warns us viewers about drunk driving ---

Realgirls4me
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
The last episode I saw last night was also one of my favorites. Here is the story ("The Gift") in a nutshell:

A human-looking alien crash lands outside a village, and accidentally kills a police officer during a struggle. He is wounded by the other police officer during the aforementioned struggle, and is now feared and wanted by the authorities. The alien later resurfaces and staggers into a local bar and collapses. A local village doctor removes the bullets from him. While recovering from his bullet injuries, he befriends a young boy who resided at this bar. While recovering, he gives the boy, Pedro, a gift. He says he will explain the gift later. The unscrupulous bar owner reports the alien's whereabouts and the alien is cornered trying to escape. As he is cornered in front of a frightened and hostile crowd, he pleads to Pedro to show them the gift, but they grab it from him and burn it claiming it is the devil's work. The trigger happy soldiers shoot and kill the alien. The doctor reads what's left of the burning gift(book). It says, "Greetings to the people of Earth. We come... in peace. We bring you this gift. The following chemical formula is... a vaccine against all forms of cancer..."

Courtesy of the following site:

http://tzone.the-croc.com/

hentai_ninja
07-06-2007, 09:36 AM
The last episode I saw last night was also one of my favorites. Here is the story ("The Gift") in a nutshell:

A human-looking alien crash lands outside a village, and accidentally kills a police officer during a struggle. He is wounded by the other police officer during the aforementioned struggle, and is now feared and wanted by the authorities. The alien later resurfaces and staggers into a local bar and collapses. A local village doctor removes the bullets from him. While recovering from his bullet injuries, he befriends a young boy who resided at this bar. While recovering, he gives the boy, Pedro, a gift. He says he will explain the gift later. The unscrupulous bar owner reports the alien's whereabouts and the alien is cornered trying to escape. As he is cornered in front of a frightened and hostile crowd, he pleads to Pedro to show them the gift, but they grab it from him and burn it claiming it is the devil's work. The trigger happy soldiers shoot and kill the alien. The doctor reads what's left of the burning gift(book). It says, "Greetings to the people of Earth. We come... in peace. We bring you this gift. The following chemical formula is... a vaccine against all forms of cancer..."

Courtesy of the following site:

http://tzone.the-croc.com/

I saw that as well. Kinda Sad because the Moral of the story was that "We fear something we dont understand"

I also love:

1)I sing the Body Electric-Bittersweet Episode.

2)Deaths Head Revisted-SS Guard revisits a Holocaust Site and is put on trial by his former victims.

3)Obsolete Man-Facism is a intresting subject

4)Number 12 looks just like you-In the Future everybody looks teh same but this one girl refuses to get the surgry done to her.

5)Probe 7 and out-Astronaut Crash lands on a planet and meets another astronaut that crashed landed on her palnet. Her name is eve.

Coroner
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM

You should be be banned to the Twilight Zone for this horrible act. :)

Well, I love all episodes. My favorite one is the episode where some guys land on a planet and everything stands. All humans are standing like dolls but only only one man is alive. The whole planet is something like a museum and heīs collecting corpses and reconstructing the past life on earth by killing people :) .... the guys that landed on that planet got poisoned in the end and also became "dolls" ...... I donīt remember the title of the episode.

trish
07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
lots of favs but two stand out for me:

1. a girl goes missing in her own home. her parents can hear her crying, they can talk to her, but they can't find her! their physicist friend figures out that she fell through an inter-dimensional portal. this episode sparked my early interest in relativity...i looked up and read everything a young child could understand about higher dimensional geometry, relativity and spacetime.

2. aliens land outside a small town. without letting their presence be known, they were able to stir up distrust and suspicion among the humans just by manipulating whose house or whose car had lights and power. In the end people were rioting and killing each other. When it was written it was probably a comment on cold war mania and mcarthyism. it applies very well to our modern fear mongering as well.

SkyTwo
07-07-2007, 03:24 AM
I enjoyed the one filmed from the perspective of a 'hideous mutated freak.' Very post-modern, but a few decades early.

Having said that, I'm wishing this entire thread into the cornfield because it's started to bore me.

Legend
07-07-2007, 03:33 AM

SkyTwo
07-07-2007, 03:59 AM
I enjoyed the one filmed from the perspective of a 'hideous mutated freak.' Very post-modern, but a few decades early.

Having said that, I'm wishing this entire thread into the cornfield because it's started to bore me.

That would matter if anyone cared but who the fuck are you anyway no seriously who are?

I'm the one everyone throws a shitfit about when they don't get the joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Good_Life_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Don't feel bad, though-- I'm used to it. And that's 'seriously who are.'

Realgirls4me
07-07-2007, 04:29 AM
... Jaysus. Y'all are having me relive many great episodes.

And, Skytwo, once you mentioned cornfield in this context, I knew exactly what you were referring to.

Keep the memories going, y'all. :)

hentai_ninja
07-07-2007, 08:32 AM
lots of favs but two stand out for me:

1. a girl goes missing in her own home. her parents can hear her crying, they can talk to her, but they can't find her! their physicist friend figures out that she fell through an inter-dimensional portal. this episode sparked my early interest in relativity...i looked up and read everything a young child could understand about higher dimensional geometry, relativity and spacetime.

The movie "Poltergeist" stole that idea.

Dino Velvet
10-15-2007, 01:09 AM
You guys like torrents?

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Twilight-Zone-Complete-156-Episodes-XVID-by-lthown/378729362f8e3a4f62b9bc216d9dd3be7cd6e95df01a

Legend
10-15-2007, 03:39 AM
You guys like torrents?

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Twilight-Zone-Complete-156-Episodes-XVID-by-lthown/378729362f8e3a4f62b9bc216d9dd3be7cd6e95df01a

Nice find but damn eight hundred something leechers and 72 seeders thats gonna take forver.

Dino Velvet
10-15-2007, 04:49 AM
You guys like torrents?

Nice find but damn eight hundred something leechers and 72 seeders thats gonna take forver.

It took me a long time to download all 28 gigs but it was so worth it as the quality is very nice. I just left my computer on 24/7 for about a week.

Legend
12-28-2007, 06:33 AM
The sci fi channel will start their annual twilight zone marathon next monday so get those tivos ready.

Dino Velvet
12-28-2007, 08:10 AM
If you have an extra $170 from Christmas, I highly suggest you pick up the Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection from Amazon.com. It's got all 156 episodes on 28 discs. It was so worth buying even though I previously downloaded it via torrent.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Complete-Definitive-Collection/dp/B000H5U5EE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1198820571&sr=1-1
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GJ4AXDBSL._SS500_.jpg

Legend
12-28-2007, 10:53 AM
If you have an extra $170 from Christmas, I highly suggest you pick up the Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection from Amazon.com. It's got all 156 episodes on 28 discs. It was so worth buying even though I previously downloaded it via torrent.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-Complete-Definitive-Collection/dp/B000H5U5EE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1198820571&sr=1-1

That's not a bad price.

Dino Velvet
12-28-2007, 11:13 AM

That's not a bad price.

I shopped around before I bought it. Amazon has the best price on it. Free shipping too.

Pirate
12-29-2007, 04:01 AM
Try a great book"The Twilight Zone Companion". Info on every episode including plot, actors,directors, and some pics. Bantam Books

Legend
12-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Marathon starts this monday.

Christastic
12-31-2007, 09:04 AM
That episode with the old lady receiving calls from the dead in the middle of the night used to really freak me out.

Jeebus.

loSTdoLLbaBY
12-31-2007, 09:07 AM

oh! that's my favorite one...it's creepy cause there's like no talking in it at all.

:shock:

TJT
12-31-2007, 02:18 PM
The old guy who goes hunting and drowns. He doesn't realize he's dead and his love of his hound dog keeps him from going into Hell.

Jesse White aka The Maytag Man played the devil in that one.

The one where Shatner kept seeing the monster out the plane window has a special meaning for me. My family went on a cross country trip to Disneyland in '64. That episode was on about a week before the trip. Talk about being one creeped out lil' kid on the flight out.

Legend
01-01-2008, 01:58 AM
ttt

loosenoose24
01-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Omega Man

Legend
01-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Yeah brave the man was a true genius.Just got done watching "to serve mankind" great epsiode.

Legend
01-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Legend, I think SciFi is running a TZ marathon right? They do it every New Year.

Yeah brave the man was a true genius.Just got done watching "to serve mankind" great epsiode.

Right,its on for two days.The episode thats on now is "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up".

Legend
07-01-2008, 02:13 AM
4 more days until the sci fi channel has its annual twilight zone marathon.

hugochavez
07-01-2008, 04:47 AM
The episode involving a young woman driving cross-country being terrorized by the same hitchhiker that keeps popping up everywhere she goes.

Another is the one with Telly "Kojak" Savalis who doesn't take a liking to a talking doll who threatens to kill him.

Legend
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Another is the one with Telly "Kojak" Savalis who doesn't take a liking to a talking doll who threatens to kill him.

That was a good one.

3 more days until the twilight zone marathon.

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Its so soon also my favourite is Guy thinks he is in heaven but turns out to be hell and would like to voice that I think Legend creates the best threads

Legend
07-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Its so soon also my favourite is Guy thinks he is in heaven but turns out to be hell and would like to voice that I think Legend creates the best threads

I kid you not I watched that very episode the other day on the sci fi channel,that old man's laugh at the end was so sinister.

I think Legend creates the best threads

Thanks dude

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I really want to go watch all the episodes right now.

Legend
07-03-2008, 09:23 AM
1 more day until the marathon,get your tivo's ready.

Legend
07-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Bump

Legend
01-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Bump

Sci fi is running their annual twilght zone marathon.

jjhill
03-12-2009, 04:58 AM
i like the one when homeboy has all those books and his glasses breaks lol

baileyandkc
03-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Confederates have a chance to win the Civil War with witchcraft

The Professor meets John Wilkes Booth

and the best......

The hunter's hound, Red, stops his idiot master from entering Hell!