PDA

View Full Version : Liquor and self control............................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I've had a few days to ponder over this and I just want to put this out there. I've been going to bar equipped locations for years now and this is something that bothers me, it's not a heterosexual thing, it's not a transsexual thing, it's a human thing. Common sense says when you are under the influence of any substance that can alter your mind to the extent that you forget how to act appropriately you should stop using whatever that substance is. I've seen people ranging from complete strangers to close friends pass out, vomit, or act a total fool, none of those end results being good at all. It's weird for me because I watch them and we've had this discussion on HA before about people who have never done illegal drugs (and there are a few of us around) but I do drink alcohol. I've been at a stripclub in the past with friends and done shots of Bacardi 151 and after the 2nd shot tossed my keys to the bartender behind the bar and chilled out in the corner with some big bootied stripper. I knew my motor skills were gone and knew to chill out until I was able to handle myself properly. If I can do this shit why can't others?!?

It's embarrassing watching people lose themselves to the point of ridicule. I watched this guy stumble onto a street corner light pole several weeks ago after drunkenly leaving the club only to get picked up by an ambulance minutes later.

Just know when to say when is what I guess I'm getting at. Why make a fool of yourself and end up waking up the next morning realizing how much of an ass you appeared to be the night before???

Devon
06-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I can see the point you're making here JWBL. I both witnessed such things and admit to have perpetrated these acts in the past. For me, I know that I "can just have one" drink. If I have one, I want to have more....I want to feel it. There have been times when I overdid it without realizing it and have had some consequences. I can say that You are very lucky to be able to realize when you've reached your limit and to respond appropriately.

On a side note...I just got out of an inpatient treatment facility where i spent the last 14 days for alcohol detox/treatment. I finally realized I had a problem with alcohol and am taking steps to get things back on track. Anyway..thats just my 2 cents.

Jericho
06-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Why make a fool of yourself and end up waking up the next morning realizing how much of an ass you appeared to be the night before???

That's the beauty of the "blackout" - Never having to remember what a total dick you made out of yourself the night before! :wink:

Which is also one of the many reasons i never drink these days.

BeardedOne
07-01-2007, 12:09 AM
I spend a day each month (Not every month, but perhaps 10-11 out of twelve) on a little day-of-me thing. I drive up to an area hotel (Not upscale, but not pay-by-the-hour), book a room, have a nice dinner, and then get as drunk as I wanna be before driving the elevator to bed. Sleep late, eat like a pig at the breakfast buffet, snack on some Tylenol, and take a nap (Late checkout) before driving home.

The bar has a "Cheers" atmosphere, with a couple of regulars and occasional surprises (A Chicago firefighter, an NBC Sports camera crew, etc.). I don't have to worry about getting too stoopid, because I'm not driving anywhere for at least a dozen hours. It satisfies, and I can't knock the clean water and sheets.

On the occasion that I go to some massive commercial gig, I always book into the flagship hotel. Sure, the rates are rape-times-two, but I don't have to worry about walking out into traffic, or worse, at the end of the nite.

I try not to overdo it (And, as I only drink beer most times, tend not to), but shit happens. Hell, sometimes even one can be "too many". On my last "date" I arrived early and stopped at the hotel bar for =one= beer. When I walked in the door later, the gurl looked at me and said "Were you at the barrrrrrrr?!?".

:shrug

LG
07-01-2007, 12:32 AM
I knew my motor skills were gone and knew to chill out until I was able to handle myself properly. If I can do this shit why can't others?!?

It's embarrassing watching people lose themselves to the point of ridicule. I watched this guy stumble onto a street corner light pole several weeks ago after drunkenly leaving the club only to get picked up by an ambulance minutes later.

Just know when to say when is what I guess I'm getting at. Why make a fool of yourself and end up waking up the next morning realizing how much of an ass you appeared to be the night before???

I agree. I've seriously never had a problem when I'm out, although I used to drink shitloads. Alcohol makes me sleepy, mostly and a little tired, and I'll admit that I puked my guts out once after a lot of Czech absinthe mixed with burnt sugar and a couple of vodka doubles, but I did that an hour before I left the club and in my own bathroom.

I used to drink a lot, but now nearly drink nothing for health reasons. But I never lost control, looked for a fight, shouted or talked trash. I'd usually eat a good meal before going out, have a glass of water after every couple of drinks, and take it easy. If I was feeling woozy, I wouldn't drive.

I've seen friends of mine lose it when out drinking with me. One friend, who drank less than I did on the night, started shouting at a girl inside a bar (though he had good reason, and I pulled him out of the bar and told him to go home). Another time, we drank about the same, but he was the one who fell over and ended up on the floor and I had to drive him home.

I don't know what it is. I think it's genetic. I find I can control myself better than most people when I drink. I also know that I am in control of my liquor and not vice-versa. For example, my body lets me know when I've had enough. If the beer starts to taste bad too me (after several glasses) or the vodka becomes unpleasant, I take a break.

I drink cocktails, wine and some spirits because I enjoy the taste, mostly, not to get drunk. It gives me a little buzz, but doesn't have the same effects on me as I'm told it has on other people- for example, I might become more talkative after a single cocktail but after three-four or more I close up and stop talking altogether. In a way I am lucky, because I always keep my self-control. In another sense, I'm unlucky, because unlike others I won't necessarily have a good time when I drink- I'll probably just feel tired.

I was shocked recently when a friend told me that he has never seen anyone drink as much as I used to. He also reassured me that I seemed mostly in control- not losing it, falling over or ever becoming violent.

The weird thing is that I hardly ever tried alcohol before I was about 19. Some 10 years later I am back to not drinking very rarely. But in those 10 years in between I probably had almost enough for a lifetime.

muhmuh
07-01-2007, 01:13 AM
you pretty much answered your own question right there

you forget how to act appropriately

thing is for many the line between these 2 states is slim

Quinn
07-01-2007, 02:38 AM
That's why I mostly stick to Champagne. Its use results in a light, happy, and easy to manage sort of inebriation that doesn't cause any of the above problems.

-Quinn

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-01-2007, 02:58 AM
I had my usual last night, took my time with it, enjoyed it, and when I felt I'd have issues driving home I threw it out
simple as that

hwbs
07-01-2007, 07:21 AM
when all else fails just stick to the beer , lmao

muhmuh
07-01-2007, 07:34 AM
when all else fails just stick to the beer , lmao

aka water... from a european point of view

arcticone
07-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Acting foolish or something like that may be embarrassing.
But I realy can t stand people who know their getting aggressive when they are drunk and drink regardless of their expectable reactions.

Dead drunk friends can be quite amusing (especialy if they ask you what they did last night on the next day). But a drunk person who is in serious need of a solid punch in the face just fucks up a nice party.