PDA

View Full Version : Do you still drink pepsi

Legend
06-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Glad i stopped drinking sodas period.

http://i8.tinypic.com/4zekoyo.jpg

TheOne1
06-30-2007, 12:16 AM
i think everyone knows that soda's burn holes into your stomach...they still drink it.

LG
06-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Glad i stopped drinking sodas period.

Of course it's corrosive...it's highly concentrated and contains phosphoric acid (as does Coke, so it's unfair to single out Pepsi). I understand that trucks and barrels carrying or containing the concentrate must be clearly labeled as containing a hazardous material.

But the finished product is diluted with carbonated water (which contains small concentrations of another acid- carbonic acid), so of course colas and sodas in general have an acid pH, but are no more acidic than the gastric acids in your stomach.

There are various urban legends about how a nail or a tooth left over a few nights submerged in cola will dissolve and all such theories are hogwash. However, phosphoric acid may damage bones. It may also damage teeth (as will carbonic acid) but probably greater harm to teeth is caused by the sugar content of the drinks, I think.

So it's best not to drink more than one can a day for a lot of reasons.

Coke and Pepsi will not dissolve nails or make a T-bone steak disappear overnight. However, most carbonated drinks can be used to loosen rusty or greasy bolts. And I can tell you that marinating a piece of meat in a little cola will make the meat more tender and improve the flavour (also good on game. poultry and squid). Plus, some of the marinade can be used to make a sweet-sour sauce for the meat. Just add a little wine, soy or teriyaki sauce, plenty of spices and Tabasco, and thicken either with a dark roux or with some cornflour.

guyone
06-30-2007, 12:23 AM
What about 7-up?

SmashysmashY
06-30-2007, 12:28 AM
I think the OP's point was that it's been reported that pepsi max (and some other soft drinks) contains a chemical call sodium benzoate that can damage your dna. I never drank that piss I drink water.

LG
06-30-2007, 12:35 AM
What about 7-up?
Good to see you posting here, guyone. Had enough of the Politics forum, eh? Me too...

The underlined bit is for SmashysmashY

Soft drinks

Soft drinks are one of the most recognized parts of Western culture. Beginning as tonics for fatigue and anything else that might be the matter with a patient, they have evolved into sweet bubbly accompaniments to hamburgers and french fries and other widely recognized parts of Western culture.

Most soft drinks are characterized by carbonated water, sugar, and caffeine. Variations in soft drinks generally advertise either flavor differences, or the absence of one or more of the three main ingredients.

Cola

The largest segment of the soft drink industry is the colas. Colas were originally blends of extracts of the coca leaf and the cola nut, mixed with sugar water. The coca leaf is no longer used, but the cola nut remains in the recipes that are public, and reportedly is also still in the secret Coca-Cola recipe.

The cola nut comes from the Ivory Coast in Africa, primarily from two species of trees, Cola acuminata, and Cola nitida. The main active ingredients in the cola nut are the alkaloids caffeine and theobromine ("food of the gods").

Colas stimulate digestive juices, and carbonated water speeds the digestion, and the combination of effects, along with the stimulant action of the two alkaloids, can make a difference to someone who is not feeling well.

Sweeteners

Sugar has been largely replaced by high fructose corn syrup, largely because the latter is not price controlled, and is a little bit sweeter, so less is needed.

The artificial sweetener aspartame is the low-calorie sweetener of choice at the time this is being written, having replaced cyclamates and saccharin as the favorites. The sweeteners neotame, acesulfame, and sucralose are sometimes used.

Flavors

Acids are added to soft drinks for extra bite, and mouth feel. The primary acid used in colas is phosphoric acid, while the one used in citrus flavored drinks is usually citric acid.

Carbonated water (water that has the gas carbon dioxide dissolved in it under pressure) is also mildly acidic (it is chemically carbonic acid, H2CO3).

Caffeine is added as a stimulant, but it has a bitter taste that is a component in many soft drinks. is

Orange soda often contains glyceryl abietate, also known as "glycerol esters of wood rosin", and brominated vegetable oil. These help keep fatty flavors suspended in the liquid (density balancers and emulsifiers). Gums and modified food starches are also used for this purpose. Glyceryl abietate is also used in cosmetics, as the waxy substance in eyebrow pencils.

Preservatives

Sodium benzoate is used as a broad spectrum antimicrobial, inhibiting bacteria, molds, and yeasts. The high acid content of the soft drink is necessary for the preservative action. Sodium citrate buffers the acids, so the pH stays low (acidic). It also emulsifies any fats or fat-soluble compounds in the flavorings, keeping them in solution.

Potassium sorbate is added to inhibit yeasts and fungi. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) is used as an anti-oxidant.

Colors

In colas, the color comes from caramel coloring (burnt sugar). Red 40 and other colors are used in fruit flavored drinks such as orange soda.

SmashysmashY
06-30-2007, 12:51 AM
"Research indicates that sodium benzoate, an ingredient in many soft drinks and sauces, has the ability to deactivate parts of DNA and eventually cause diseases such as Parkinson's and cirrhosis of the liver."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=269520

LG
06-30-2007, 01:11 AM
"Research indicates that sodium benzoate, an ingredient in many soft drinks and sauces, has the ability to deactivate parts of DNA and eventually cause diseases such as Parkinson's and cirrhosis of the liver."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=269520

Oh, I'm not arguing with you, I was just explaining what sodium benzoate is and what it does. Sodium benzoate, however, is found in all kinds of foods- soft drinks, jams and jellies, sauces, salad dressings, pickles and even mouthwashes (it works better combined with acids, apparently). It is also found naturally in cranberries, prunes and other fruit. Until recently it was regarded as pretty safe but new research by Sheffield university professor Peter Piper (his real name) suggests that it has the "ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria".

"The mitochondria consumes the oxygen to give you energy and if you damage it - as happens in a number if diseased states - then the cell starts to malfunction very seriously. And there is a whole array of diseases that are now being tied to damage to this DNA - Parkinson's and quite a lot of neuro-degenerative diseases, but above all the whole process of ageing."

So far the chemical was considered safe for specific uses by the EU, WHO, the FSA in the UK and America's FDA, but people are getting worried and new research will be needed. In the UK, MPs called for further investigation regarding its safety.

But, I'll add again, that sodium benzoate is used in all kinds of foods and not just soft drinks. If you believe it to be dangerous, the best thing you can do is check the label on all processed foods you buy and consume.

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2586652.ece
http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2586653.ece

Coroner
06-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Seems like Pepsiīs banned here. I havenīt seen a Pepsi for years now. The last time I drank Pepsi Max was in the late 90ies wtf...

SmashysmashY
06-30-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm not trying to argue either. I don't have a dog in this fight. But people drink soft drinks by the liter, you're consuming quantities that are much larger, than say with jam or soy sauce or something like that. That's why soft drinks have been singled out I think.

LG
06-30-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm not trying to argue either. I don't have a dog in this fight. But people drink soft drinks by the liter, you're consuming quantities that are much larger, than say with jam or soy sauce or something like that. That's why soft drinks have been singled out I think.

I agree. Some people drink way too much soda. I try to stick to a can or less a day- so it's not a major issue for me- but most people I know drink two or more.

I saw an article in Time magazine on the typical food shopping carried out by an average family in different countries. The products were all lined up in a photo together with the family (the photo of a poor family in Africa showed just a few bagfuls of grains, while the Americans' and Germans' food was piled up sky high). The cola consumed by most people made my mind boggle. I drink mostly water (or wine or cocktails when I'm out) but I'll agree- it seems most people drink soft drinks by the litre.

CORVETTEDUDE
06-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Come on, guys!!! The fuckin' air you breath is gonna kill ya. We're all gonna die of somethin', name your poison!!!

forgedfight
06-30-2007, 04:19 AM
I can't stand the amount of sugar, too sweet. I like my drinks a little bitter.

BlackAdder
06-30-2007, 06:55 AM
I gave up soda about 2 years ago after i read about the bone damaging effect of the carbonation......

I try not to read stuff like this anymore because it makes me want to not eat anything lol...

A can of coke will definetly ruin someones paint job on there car during the summer, i know that much..O.O

gummi baer
06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I prefer diet root beer. I guess when my bladder turns cancerous my bones will collapse. Then you can scrape what's left of me off the floor. :lol:

Anthony_Sydney
06-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Coke Zero is pretty good (although of course full of chemicals).

fixxx47
06-30-2007, 01:30 PM
awesome .gif file.......but when I save it won't play?

domme
06-30-2007, 05:17 PM
LOL

So you don't know that our stomach produces Hydrochloric acid, which is many times stronger than your simple soda (carbonic acid).

SmashysmashY
06-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Are you talking about my gif? Because I just made that last night. If you weren't then sorry, I was just a little pleased with it I guess.