PDA

View Full Version : Extend Smoking Ban?

canihavu
06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
# The New York Times reported that the number of smokers in New York City has dropped due to the smoking ban in bars and restaurants, cigarette taxes, and anti-tobacco TV ads.

canihavu
06-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Even though I am a non-smoker, I did not agree with the smoking ban in bars and restaurants at first. I was always cool with the Smoking and Non-smoking sections in restaurants and I just expected to smell smoke when I would go to a bar or club. After they passed the ban in NJ and I went to out to eat and to a few bars, I must say that it is a much more pleasant experience.

mbf
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
hell i am an avid non-smoker myself, but that witch-hunt is getting outta control.

leave the two-legged chimneys alone!!!

Coroner
06-24-2007, 06:20 PM
I quit smoking two months ago and I didnīt need a law to do it. Iīm doing it for myself and so should everyone have the right to choose the path.

White_Male_Canada
06-24-2007, 07:04 PM
While the health fascists are at it why not ban drinking in bars/sarc off

CORVETTEDUDE
06-24-2007, 07:22 PM
All you NON-SMOKERS can go FUCK yourselves!!!

TheOne1
06-24-2007, 07:40 PM
its not much of a hassle if u smoke...just step outside, or goto an open-air bar where you can smoke.

Coroner
06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
All you NON-SMOKERS can go FUCK yourselves!!!

Yeah, tell them 8)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-24-2007, 10:23 PM
# The New York Times reported that the number of smokers in New York City has dropped due to the smoking ban in bars and restaurants, cigarette taxes, and anti-tobacco TV ads.

As much as I respect people's preference to be healthy I think bars and restaurants should have an "open air" (patio?) seating for smokers (to separate the non smokers to smokers). Afterall, they need to run a business dont they? So they "should" cater to all. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

LG
06-24-2007, 10:56 PM

As much as I respect people's preference to be healthy I think bars and restaurants should have an "open air" (patio?) seating for smokers (to separate the non smokers to smokers). Afterall, they need to run a business dont they? So they "should" cater to all. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Bravo! I'll agree on this. I think, for the benefit of people's health, smoking should not be allowed indoors in pubs, bars and restaurants (except in designated areas)- this is the way it is done in the UK- but it should be allowed outside. It is not an issue of a smoker's right to have a smoke, but rather an issue of people's rights not to have to suffer from second-hand smoke.

A person with serious asthma and a tracheal valve was telling me how disappointed she was that people saw it as their right to smoke in her presence, and how they care little that they harmed her.

It is stupid and selfish of smokers to think that they should be allowed to blow their smoke in the faces of others. It is not the same as banning drinking in bars as some conservatives have suggested- you go to a bar to drink and the 'raison d'etre' of bars is to serve drinks. The rest is secondary.

Those smokers with some level of intelligence recognize they have no right to harm the health of others just because they themselves enjoy a smoke. I enjoy a drink, but I'm not going to belch or piss all over a stranger and then complain he is a fascist for not letting me enjoy my drink.

Anyone who doesn't see this is full of shit. Those non smokers willing to suffer in silence rather than complain about second-hand smoke because they want to seem "correct" are full of shit too. I'm sorry fellas, but you are...

And if you want to know whether I am a smoker or not, I will admit that bar the odd hubbly-bubbly or hookah at Arabic and North-African bars and a cigar on very special occasions, I do not smoke tobacco. You can read between the lines there if you like.

And finally, let me say once again that I am a liberal. Liberty doesn't mean anarchy. I take my cue from John Stuart Mill, who wrote "the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others".

If you want to harm your health, fine (I do it too, whenever I drink cocktails, shooters or absinthe and whenever I eat junk food). But don't hurt other people in the process.

It's that simple. The rest is politically-driven bullshit.

Quinn
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Bravo! I'll agree on this. I think, for the benefit of people's health, smoking should not be allowed indoors in pubs, bars and restaurants (except in designated areas)- this is the way it is done in the UK- but it should be allowed outside. It is not an issue of a smoker's right to have a smoke, but rather an issue of people's rights not to have to suffer from second-hand smoke.

A person with serious asthma and a tracheal valve was telling me how disappointed she was that people saw it as their right to smoke in her presence, and how they care little that they harmed her.

It is stupid and selfish of smokers to think that they should be allowed to blow their smoke in the faces of others. It is not the same as banning drinking in bars as some conservatives have suggested- you go to a bar to drink and the 'raison d'etre' of bars is to serve drinks. The rest is secondary.

Those smokers with some level of intelligence recognize they have no right to harm the health of others just because they themselves enjoy a smoke. I enjoy a drink, but I'm not going to belch or piss all over a stranger and then complain he is a fascist for not letting me enjoy my drink.

Anyone who doesn't see this is full of shit. Those non smokers willing to suffer in silence rather than complain about second-hand smoke because they want to seem "correct" are full of shit too. I'm sorry fellas, but you are...

And if you want to know whether I am a smoker or not, I will admit that bar the odd hubbly-bubbly or hookah at Arabic and North-African bars and a cigar on very special occasions, I do not smoke tobacco. You can read between the lines there if you like.

And finally, let me say once again that I am a liberal. Liberty doesn't mean anarchy. I take my cue from John Stuart Mill, who wrote "the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilised community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others".

If you want to harm your health, fine (I do it too, whenever I drink cocktails, shooters or absinthe and whenever I eat junk food). But don't hurt other people in the process.

Cosign.

-Quinn

Jericho
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
smoking should not be allowed indoors in pubs, bars and restaurants (except in designated areas)- this is the way it is done in the UK-

Not anymore.
If it's got four walls and a roof, smoking's banned [except in prisons].

LG
06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
smoking should not be allowed indoors in pubs, bars and restaurants (except in designated areas)- this is the way it is done in the UK-

Not anymore.

And homes, of course. Everyone's free to smoke at home.

That legislation just came into force right?

Jericho
06-24-2007, 11:52 PM

Not anymore.

That legislation just came into force right?

Yeah, just came in.

...errrr, not quite.
If a tradesman/official of some sort, comes to your house by appointment, you have to refrain from smoking for at least two hours [though this mainly applies to rented accomodation].

Felicia Katt
06-25-2007, 01:55 AM
I quit smoking two months ago and I didnīt need a law to do it. Iīm doing it for myself and so should everyone have the right to choose the path.

I chose the path of not smoking, but the only way I can truly stay on it is if I don't lose my way in all the second hand smoke. Sorry, but my right to not smoke is meaningless if you get to smoke everywhere you want to. Laws like these aren't done to screw or even to motivate smokers, they are done to protect non-smokers. If you arre bound and determined to risk cancer and heart disease, nothing is going to stop you, but you don't get to bind and determine things for me.

FK

BeardedOne
06-25-2007, 02:24 AM
Oy. This is one rant that will go on forever, from both sides. :smh

As one that suffers from a myriad assortment of lung and breathing ailments thanks to my chain-smoking parents, I must confess to being somewhat biased on this matter.

HOWEVER...

As one that supports personal rights and freedoms, I am in a quandary concerning a number of laws and regulations regarding smoking.

My view:

The average person spends an hour, perhaps three, in a pub/bar/restaurant. There are twenty-four hours in a day. Ferchrissakes, stop with the fucking cancersticks for that one-to-three hour period out of a basic courtesy to others WHILE THEY ARE TRYING TO EAT WITHOUT PUKING! Have a drag before you walk in the door and have the decency to wait until you walk out (And a break in between, to step outside, if you absolutely must), but jeezlouise, it's FOOD, stick something else in your cakehole for a while!

Short of clearly, and architecturaly (Sp?) defined smoking/non-smoking spaces in restaurants/bars/pubs/etc. it is difficult to work the do and don't of smoking in a public venue (Early streetcars/trams of the US partitioned off sections of the railcars for this reason, before aboloshing smoking entirely in the 1940's). Smoke knows no boundaries. I had a non-smoking room at the Royal York in Toronto and was mortified when I opened the door to my room and thought that it was on fire (The ductwork of the AC connected to an author's party, in a smoking room, a few doors down the hall). The patio idea is great, but refer back to Toronto, in January. Even a smoker I would not commit to this frigid hell.

It's not a matter of where/when smoking is banned, but whether or not a smoker is a genuine human being with manners and consideration for others (Not just non-smokers, but ex-smokers and those that simply choose not to smoke at that time/place).

To the smoker that refused to put out his cigarette on the elevator after all of the other passengers complained (And then blew smoke into the face of the one person that was dreadfully allergic to it): You're an asshole and violated city fire codes and I hope you get buttfucked by some horse-hung Bruno if they ever catch your sorry, asshole self.

And to the butthead that lit up the stogie in the Chinese restaurant, and then gave the finger to the entire population of the reataurant (Which was packed) =and= the staff, as they gave a standing ovation when you walked out the door, FUCK FOR YOU, BABY!!! :x

To those smokers who are polite, considerate, etc., smoke away, for I cannot dictate your life or your methods of shortening it.

BiCuriousGeorge
06-25-2007, 03:27 AM
This is from LG

Thanks for putting this on here. You said what many of us feel who do not smoke cigarettes. I don't want to breathe in someone else's smoke but most smokers don't give a shit and smoke whenever and wherever they want and look at us non cigarette smokers like we are assholes for wanting to breathe in actual air. Isn't that what we need to breathe to live??? Pisses me off most when parents smoke around their children. If someone told me they didn't want to be around me smoking the green stuff I wouldn't smoke near them, easy as that. If I did I would consider myself rude and would deserve to be called an asshole. But smokers do have the right to smoke in their homes or cars where they aren't interfering with anyone else's lifestlye. I think it's a shame though because there are alot of people who miss out on possible relationships for a cigarette. I was going to get engaged to my ex but 2 years into the relationship she started smoking when she went out with her friends. Came home STINKING and tasting like an ashtray. I told her when we met that I could never date a smoker, never mind marry one. But she couldn't quit so I had to leave. Sorry for the long post but I had to vent.

Jericho
06-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Thanks for putting this on here. You said what many of us feel who do not smoke cigarettes. I don't want to breathe in someone else's smoke but most smokers don't give a shit and smoke whenever and wherever they want and look at us non cigarette smokers like we are assholes for wanting to breathe in actual air. Isn't that what we need to breathe to live??? Pisses me off most when parents smoke around their children. If someone told me they didn't want to be around me smoking the green stuff I wouldn't smoke near them, easy as that. If I did I would consider myself rude and would deserve to be called an asshole. But smokers do have the right to smoke in their homes or cars where they aren't interfering with anyone else's lifestlye.

Of course, the smokers are going to be laughing up their yellowed sleeves when our hypocrisy catches up with us. And you can bet your arse it will, because it aint going to stop with smoking.

Everything you've just said above can be applied to anybody who owns a car.

[edit: should learn how spell *hypocrisy* before i use the word!]

BuuBear
06-25-2007, 04:09 AM
ECCCKKKKK! NO more Litany please! Anti-smoking religion has gone way way too far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

NYTSJulie
06-25-2007, 04:11 AM
I love my cigs

Quinn
06-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Slightly off topic, but where do we draw the line?

A difficult question to be certain. Speaking as an employer, I don't hire smokers. It's bad business, period.

-Quinn

BuuBear
06-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Nice of you to discriminate against someone's religion like that, Quinn!

Quinn
06-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Nice of you to discriminate against someone's religion like that, Quinn!

LMAO......

-Quinn

Quinn
06-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Double post. My bad.

BeardedOne
06-25-2007, 05:05 AM
I think it's a shame though because there are alot of people who miss out on possible relationships for a cigarette.

Interestingly, just the sight of a cig/cigar in the hand of someone I might otherwise find attractive is a big turnoff for me. I've found myself watching some mondo-hot GG at the mall or somesuch and then she lights up a cig and it's the Ally McBeal record-screech as the entire fantasy of being with her gets derailed. As odd as it feels, in retrospect it makes perfect sense to me and those like me.

If you don't smell/taste good, what's the point?

canihavu
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM

~Kisses.

HTG

Nah fuck the smokers, let em go outside and smoke that shit.

CORVETTEDUDE
07-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll say this one more time, just in case you may have misunderstood;

ALL YOU NON-SMOKERS, GO FUCK YOURSELVES!!!
:violin :violin :violin :shrug :shrug :shrug :moon :moon :moon

canihavu
07-02-2007, 05:53 AM

Get lung cancer and die, maggot...

Str8mlover4TS
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I love my cigs

:smoking

XOXOXO

hwbs
07-08-2007, 10:58 PM
i love it now that they have a no smoking ban...nothing like coming home smelling like a wet dog after bring around a room of smokers.. :twisted: ... not to mention all the health risks..

hondarobot
07-08-2007, 11:08 PM
We all had this debate awhile ago. I think bans in general are bad, but I'm not arguing. I'm behaving myself.

CORVETTEDUDE
07-08-2007, 11:23 PM

Whatever I die from, you won't have anything to do with, piss ant!

Tomfurbs
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
I live in a flat with two non-smokers, so I have to brave the rain and snows of bonny scotland when I need a fag, which is totally fine with me. I know that smoke lingers and I don't want to cause them any bother.

However, nothing goes better with a drink than a tasty smooth Dunhill 8) and it is a massive pain when I'm on a night out to have to leave my drink and seat and toddle out to the doorway and light up. Thankyou nanny- state politicos. The ironic thing is that most politicians smoke like chimneys. Charles Kennedy, the ex leader of the Lib Dems, was busted the other day lighting up on a train.

Pubs and clubs have always been smoky. If booze was suddenly invented today it would be labeled a 'smart drug' and instantly made illegal.

Please mister politician, will you help me wipe my arse, because in your eyes I am obviously incapable of living my life by myself.

hondarobot
07-09-2007, 12:01 AM
I live in a flat with two non-smokers, so I have to brave the rain and snows of bonny scotland when I need a fag, which is totally fine with me. I know that smoke lingers and I don't want to cause them any bother.

However, nothing goes better with a drink than a tasty smooth Dunhill 8) and it is a massive pain when I'm on a night out to have to leave my drink and seat and toddle out to the doorway and light up. Thankyou nanny- state politicos. The ironic thing is that most politicians smoke like chimneys. Charles Kennedy, the ex leader of the Lib Dems, was busted the other day lighting up on a train.

Pubs and clubs have always been smoky. If booze was suddenly invented today it would be labeled a 'smart drug' and instantly made illegal.

Please mister politician, will you help me wipe my arse, because in your eyes I am obviously incapable of living my life by myself.

Well, that's all well and good but bitching about it on an internet forum isn't really going to result in anything constructive. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but ideas and work are the two separate sides of the coin.

The objective, I think, is to realize that every coin has two sides, but it's still always one coin.

Heh. That's actually kinda deep. I have to think about this.

Tomfurbs
07-09-2007, 01:24 AM
what do you mean by constructive?

they passed the bill already.

hondarobot
07-09-2007, 01:44 AM
I was thinking freestyle, I just skimmed through your post.

It's all just observing the wizardry of pointless drama at this point. If a certain girl can send me an email, I'll respond to it.

Oddly enough, I don't think that will ever happen.

gummi baer
07-09-2007, 02:16 AM
It is my patriotic duty to spend five dollars a day in cigarette taxes and hopefully die before I pull so much out of the social security system that YOU end up paying for MY old age. If I quit smoking, it'll be trouble. When I quit drinking all the titty-bars in town closed down. Get the picture?

BiCuriousGeorge
07-09-2007, 02:43 AM
OK, non-smokers generally don't like to be around smoke because of the smell, health reasons too, but mostly we want to breathe in clean air. The smokers on here hate us for it because the smell doesn't bother them. Now here is a good comparison in my opinion that maybe a smoker can relate too. Let's say you are in an enclosed room with someone and they pass gas... where it smells like they messed themselves a little with it, but the smell doesn't bother them, would that smell bother you? Would you be like, a) it smells real bad and I want to vomit, how can you do such a nasty thing where I am forced to breathe it in. Or b) It's ok, don't worry about what I have to breathe in, it's your right to blow as much gas as you want and I shouldn't say anything to you about it. Which would you say a or b??????

Tomfurbs
07-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Listen, watering holes have always been a traditional place for smokers because a beer and a cig are a marriage made in heaven. You breath in a hell of a lot of carbon monoxide just sitting in your car in a traffic jam. It is not like smokers are coming into your home and breathing smoke in your face. Stop trying to ruin life's little pleasures. Everything has a health risk, you can get cancer from soy sauce, is that going to make me give up kung pow chicken?

And farting is natural

canihavu
07-09-2007, 04:46 AM

Whatever I die from, you won't have anything to do with, piss ant!

You got that part right now go put a cancer stick up your ass...

Tomfurbs
07-09-2007, 04:49 AM
that's funny, but just remember once you start endorsing bans sooner or later something you like and enjoy will get banned

canihavu
07-09-2007, 05:09 AM
that's funny, but just remember once you start endorsing bans sooner or later something you like and enjoy will get banned

There's enough stuff that I like that is already banned so the smokers can go fuck themselves too...lol

loki
07-09-2007, 08:34 AM
I was born in the U.S.A.I do not want to grow old in the U.S.S.A.