PDA

View Full Version : How scared were you when you first transitioned???

mustang
06-20-2007, 06:11 AM
edit

mustang
06-20-2007, 07:52 AM
"I handled my own transition in a somewhat similar way. I always had these feelings and acted upon them when I was younger but as I got older began to hide them fairly well (as I've done with other things regarding my family). When I was in elementary school I remember being taught certain ways to act by other classmates (no talking with hands, later on that I shouldn't be interested in things like Romeo & Juliet, etc.) After I finally got over the worry of what family and friends would think (thank god, I was so scared before that I thought I wouldn't do it until after I moved out of the house but thankfully researching it more, meeting another TS girl for the first time, and realizing that the longer I wait the more years I'll feel that I wasted) I only told a few select people (I really don't know that many people anyways) and began seeing a therapist 1 year BEFORE living this way, began taking hormones and getting laser 6 months BEFORE I was living this way and even had my name and gender changed on my drivers license and social securty BEFORE I was living this way. However, before I had my new ID I often had problems using my old ID for getting into clubs or getting an alcoholic drink, regardless of how I was presenting myself, and would have to end up saying, "Look at the how the bone structure is the same" and they'd finally allow it. I dressed fairly gender-neutral during this time though too and would get called miss on the phone from time to time (thankfully get that all the time now). The fact that I was in my last year of college made me hold off the day I officaly made the switch as I didn't want additonal stress my final year and to just focus on my grades although it was certainly difficult to wait. The day I made the switch was shortly after I quit my last job and right around the time of my graduation which I didn't go to (the diploma I received was in my new name since I had changed it and let the proper people know so I'd receive the correct name on my diploma). Was highly emotional during this time too because it's all I could think about (the hormones were obviously in effect then too). I wanted my transition to go as smootly as possible and because I did it this way (handling as much as I could before making the offical switch), I've thankfully have had a easy transition into this new phase of my life. I'm much happier now but still have much that I wish to achieve."-LeoraMoore

Permission granted from source!