PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo PWNS Everyone Again

Legend
06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Market research firm NPD Group has released its report on U.S. video game sales for the month of May. For a sixth consecutive month, Nintendo took the crown in hardware and software sales of both handheld and home consoles.

Once again, the Wii was the top-selling new console, with Nintendo selling 338,000 units of its $250 machine, more than twice the units sold by its nearest competitor, the Xbox 360, which sold 155,000 units. The PlayStation 3 only sold 82,000 units.

The best selling system was again the Nintendo DS with 423,000 units sold.

In what regards to software sales, Nintendo dominated the charts again with four first-party Wii or DS games crowding the Top 5. The best selling game was Pokemon Diamond, which sold 331,000 units, followed up close by Mario Party 8, which sold 314,000 units.

The video game software sales chart looks like this:

1.Pokemon Diamond - DS (Nintendo) - 331,000 units
2.Mario Party 8 - Wii (Nintendo) - 314,000 units
3.Spider-Man 3 - PS2 (Activision) - 249,000 units
4.Pokemon Pearl - DS (Nintendo) - 238,000 units
5.Wii Play - Wii (Nintendo) - 227,000 units
6.Forza Motorsport 2 - Xbox 360 (Microsoft) - 217,000 units
7.Guitar Hero II - Xbox 360 (Activision) - 184,000 units
8Spider-Man 3 - Xbox 360 (Activision) - 140,000 units
9Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Xbox 360 (Electronic Arts) - 138,000 units
10.Guitar Hero II - PS2 (Activision) - 131,000 units

Wow i'm really surprised the wii is beating the 360 and PS3 so badly i mean its been the same statistics month after month.Guess its more the a gimmick system.

Dkg
06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
not surprising.

hwbs
06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
wii has potential but no games....maybe 4-5 good titles...i dont care about reports..i just care bout gears of war and sawing someones face off..

Coroner
06-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Nintendo and Super Nintento had great games. I was dissapointed by the games for the Gamecube that had much more potential than the PS2. Letīs see how far they go with Wii.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-20-2007, 04:46 AM
I like the Wii, but until they come out with Unreal Tournament with their controllers I'm sticking with my pc

odelay24
06-20-2007, 11:08 AM
You know currently PS3 is almost selling on par with Gameboy Advance.

But that's cause they have no good software yet.

As for Wii, Smash Brothers is coming soon, and Metroid should be out by January.

And the reason it's beating 360 is because everyone who was gonna buy one already has one.

Legend
06-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I like the Wii, but until they come out with Unreal Tournament with their controllers I'm sticking with my pc

I remember someone from epic saying unreal engine will never be on the wii.

Cat
06-20-2007, 02:06 PM

Because the Wii couldn't handle it.

hwbs
06-20-2007, 02:14 PM
except for the big nintendo titles , all of the other games have serious issues with the bluetooth sensitivety of the remote..its what really gives you a workout , lmfao...i will not buy another game from them until is gets the thumbs up from gamespot..im sure they will figure it out..

they had originally committed to do unreal but backed out...it cant play on that system..

stillies77
06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Im picking up my wii in a few weeks...and who said no good games...didnt anyone know about the Virtual Console? You can play tons and tons of classic games from every nintendo console and Genesis and Turbo Graphix...they said eventually every nintendo game will be on the Virtual Console...I am buying the Wii just for that, Zelda, and Smash Bros.

Dkg
06-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Im picking up my wii in a few weeks...and who said no good games...didnt anyone know about the Virtual Console? You can play tons and tons of classic games from every nintendo console and Genesis and Turbo Graphix...they said eventually every nintendo game will be on the Virtual Console...I am buying the Wii just for that, Zelda, and Smash Bros.

good luck finding one. Like I said before, it's no surprise Wii is doing so well when the stores never have any in stock. Well, they do but they only last for 48 hrs at the most, usu less. Tried to find one for my little cousin a while back....was impossible.

Legend
06-20-2007, 04:02 PM

True it can't handle the current generation engine but they can make a specific engine for wii like they did for the original xbox.

Legend
06-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I don't get the appeal of the Virtual Console. Years ago I had every NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64 game on my hard drive and all you would have to do is get 2 controllers that plug into the USB port and cables to plug into the TV and you had anything you ever wanted to play from those old games right there. Only a very few N64 had some glitches like Mario Tennis other than that they all worked great.

To me its just another gimmick to make a quick buck for nintendo like what xbox live arcade does for microsoft.

hwbs
06-20-2007, 05:39 PM
they def have a leg up over xbox arcade , but barely;;.also, backwards compatibility is superior..100 percent gc over a small percentage of xbox.. i have both of them...the wii doesn't suck but find me a game not made by nintendo that is good...ur gonna be so over the controllers very shortly...its a gimmick and would be better with a normal controller...

Legend
06-20-2007, 06:11 PM
they def have a leg up over xbox arcade , but barely;;.also, backwards compatibility is superior..100 percent gc over a small percentage of xbox.. i have both of them...the wii doesn't suck but find me a game not made by nintendo that is good...ur gonna be so over the controllers very shortly...its a gimmick and would be better with a normal controller...

You have a point they need better third party support from companies because the only games they i'm looking forward to are all made by nintendo.

They should have made the wii with a regular controller and marketed the wii remote as a sort of add on.

Fox
06-20-2007, 08:47 PM

True it can't handle the current generation engine but they can make a specific engine for wii like they did for the original xbox.

Speaking of that...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25781

Anyway, the only game for Wii that I'm looking forward to is Metroid Prime 3, so it'll be awhile before I get one.

thereaper
06-20-2007, 08:57 PM
amazing just amazing

tsntx
06-20-2007, 09:31 PM
i have no desire what-so-ever to even play the wii ... the titles alone are nothing that interests me... if i upgrade anytime soon from my ps2 itll probably be to a ps3 or an xbox360

Legend
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM

Speaking of that...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25781

Anyway, the only game for Wii that I'm looking forward to is Metroid Prime 3, so it'll be awhile before I get one.

See that would be the another downfall for someone getting a wii if your going to get a next-gen console you don't won't current gen power.

Legend
06-20-2007, 10:52 PM
i have no desire what-so-ever to even play the wii ... the titles alone are nothing that interests me... if i upgrade anytime soon from my ps2 itll probably be to a ps3 or an xbox360

From your GTA collection i kinda figured you were the type of girl who wasn't into cute fuzzy nintendo character type games.

lol yet another downside to getting a wii no GTA 4 but i bet you already know that since you own all three gta games.

Jen have you seen the game info and the trailer for gta 4?
http://www.thegtaplace.com/gta4/

stillies77
06-21-2007, 06:27 AM
I have a 360 now and i love it so much...i just wanna get the wii for smash bros mostly...the 360 is the best thing out there though IMO...the Live matches are insane...Halo 3 is going to own everything.

Dkg
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't get the appeal of the Virtual Console. Years ago I had every NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64 game on my hard drive and all you would have to do is get 2 controllers that plug into the USB port and cables to plug into the TV and you had anything you ever wanted to play from those old games right there. Only a very few N64 had some glitches like Mario Tennis other than that they all worked great.

Yeah, cause you know, everyone else like, had the same situation as you..... :roll:

:wink:

now look who's missing out. It really is a fun time killer, much more so than ps2, esp at parties.

gunn
06-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Much to learn you still have,all of you.The reason wii and DS is kicking the shit out of everyones ass is because of one thing and one thing only INNOVATION!!!.Remember the D pad[+],the annolog stick,rumble.The big N is responsible for them all,and everyone without shame copied.Motion sensitivity is just nintendos next idea that is changing the whay we play games.Sony couldnt wait to copy that and i know microsoft will do the same.Arnt you guys tired of playing games the same way.Admitt it without nintendo it will be just be same old same old,with better graphics.

Cat
06-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm in a phase now where I've been trying out new PC games I never played before that got good ratings when they came out but either I wasn't interested or didn't have a good enough computer. However, I'm already getting sick of these games, feel I could do better things with my time, that I don't need all of the ones I put on my computer this week, removed Company of Heroes, F.E.A.R., and FarCry last night (had even more I removed before), and kept only 1 game. That game... Unreal Tournament 2004. Like having a game that I can just pick up if I feel like playing one without having to get too into it. Nice arcade style fun :) Just wanted to mention since it's been mentioned a couple times in this thread now.
Unreal Tournament 2004 is a very solid game.

I wish you gave F.E.A.R. more of a chance, though. Although the levels are repetitive, the story-line, action and gunplay are very good.

stillies77
06-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Im more of a Battlefield fan...which is amazing for 360.

Yetanothervickilover
06-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I have a 360 now and i love it so much...i just wanna get the wii for smash bros mostly...the 360 is the best thing out there though IMO...the Live matches are insane...Halo 3 is going to own everything.

Halo3 might have "own'd" everything...if not for a little game i like to call GEARS OF fucking WAR!

From what i saw in the beta, it isn't doing enough to take the crown from GoW. Sure, Halo3 will be a solid shooter. but own everything? probably not.

AlySinclair
06-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, Nintendo's great and I would like to get one just to play with their new controller. However, both the PS3 and the 360 will, in time, surpass the Nintendo.

Both the PS3 and the 360 are so underutilized right now. Wait for the games to catch up to their technology and you Nintendo folks will have a new opinion. ^^

In the meantime, maybe I'll see you in WoW. ^^

gunn
06-23-2007, 08:51 AM
WOW two big strong systems up against one wii bastard,how much time do they need.You guys should stop making excueses for sony and microsoft,just admit it nintendo is toping them like sexxxy jade tops bitches.WII WIN! WII WIN! WII WIN!

Cat
06-23-2007, 08:53 AM
WOW two big strong systems up against one wii bastard,how much time do they need.You guys should stop making excueses for sony and microsoft,just admit it nintendo is toping them like sexxxy jade tops bitches.WII WIN! WII WIN! WII WIN!
Shut-up...

gunn
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry if the reality of nintendos dominance is hurting some of you.I want to know do you guys know any T-GIRL GAMERS?

Edmund
06-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Nintendo is the only company that really innovates anymore. Sometimes they take a bath on it, sometimes they rule hardcore. This is one of the latter. Go wii.

gunn
06-24-2007, 03:09 PM
that true man.NINTENDO POWER!