PDA

View Full Version : Keepin' It Real Is Overrated...

TJ347
06-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Alot of Spanish speaking people are apparently upset with comments Jessica Alba made recently, but I really can't see why. Hard to get mad at her for being intelligent enough to realize she's got more of a future in showbiz pushing "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" than "Honey 2". Claiming she identifies as Mexican would definitely limit the roles she'd be offered in Hollywood, and as she doesn't have the chops to pull off indie films (and actually wants to get paid for her acting work), she can't let that happen. Kudos for Ms. Alba having the sense to put her pride on the backburner and get that dough!

RECENT HIGHLIGHTS:
"George Lopez starts speaking to my father in Spanish, and my dad says, 'I don't speak Mexican.' I turned purple. I love my papa. But he has no filter. I probably acquired that characteristic from him."

- Jessica "Don't Call Me Latina" Alba, as quoted in Us Weekly

"Alba is my last name and I'm proud of that. But that's it. My grandparents were born in California, the same as my parents, and though I may be proud of my last name, I'm American. Throughout my whole life, I've never felt connected to one particular race or heritage, nor did I feel accepted by any. If you break it down, I'm less Latina than Cameron Diaz, whose father is Cuban. But people don't call her Latina because she's blonde."

- Jessica Alba says in a new interview

Realgirls4me
06-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I sensed there was a good reason I didn't care for her. She needs to have a good little talk with a certain Ms Salma Hayek.

Jack Lemmon might have given her a good tongue lashing also.

(parphrased) "After one has reached the penthouse, one has an obligation to send down the elevator and help someone else up"

If this quote is true, as a Mexican-American myself, Miss Alba sounds as vapid and dense as they come. Hey, Jessica, why not talk to Arturo Moreno, owner of the MLB Angels, or some of those pesky Meskins fighting over in Iraq (quite a few have come back in coffins ya know), and talk to them about how you feel about hiding your race, ethnicity, and keeping that Spanish speaking in check. I'm sure they'll understand and become even bigger fans of yours. What a role model you are, Jessica.

Thanks, Jessica.

:roll:

tsntx
06-17-2007, 10:15 PM
she really didnt say anything wrong and what was said is being taken the wrong way, im sure as i cant speak for her either... i think shes just trying to show patriotism... why is that bad? shes proud of where she comes from... america. this is a stupid topic and ppl always try and find negative stuff in everything... yall need to just get over it, there are more important topics to discuss about mexicans then jessica alba being a pround american.

Realgirls4me
06-17-2007, 10:30 PM
I actually need to read the WHOLE interview to comment on it, but if she did say that, she sure seems to be getting worked up over a "little nothing" then. How is speaking Spanish denying or turning one's back on their citizenry or country? No one is suggesting she wear her lineage on her sleeve, or that she champion Mexican or Latino causes (Aghast!) as the aforementioned Hayek has, but to get worked up because she might be referred to as a "Latina", or even worse -- A MEXICAN LATINA, is an insult to those such as myself who aren't ashamed of their Mexican roots and ethnicity. And if her father said that, a big "fuck off!" to him also. What a bigoted dick.

Uh, that isn't patriotism at play there also.

Kriss
06-18-2007, 04:12 AM
Kudos for Ms. Alba having the sense to put her pride on the backburner and get that dough!

WANKER!!!

there are more important topics to discuss about mexicans then jessica alba being a pround american.

SUCH AS?

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS A PROUND?

Realgirls4me
06-18-2007, 04:22 AM
Yep, money should always take priority over everything, even if it means hiding who you are to receive it.

Congrats, Kriss, on joining the millenial ranks! A drink for you, my man!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-18-2007, 04:51 AM
Lucy Liu said something about not dating Asian men a few years back..................... I haven't seen her really headline anything since.

Realgirls4me
06-18-2007, 05:07 AM
I think one such as Jessica should be able to talk as they'd like, date who they'd like, hang around who they'd like, wear what they'd like, etc., and so forth, but when one -- particularly one in the public arena -- is doing any of the aforementioned because one is running from an unwarranted stigma associated with ethnicity and race, as well as helping perpetuate it, then they've got some serious hang ups and issues which I'm not about to take lightly as a Mexican-American. I'm going to fire with both hands and both barrels.

Here's to Jessica. May her future hold all the maid and dishwashing roles that Hollywood has to offer.

:(

tubgirl
06-18-2007, 05:57 AM
it doesn't sound to me like she is hiding or denying anything. she even stated that her grandparents were born in california, as were her parents.

sounds to me like she is doing a great job of assimilating. maybe others should follow her lead in that...

tubgirl
06-18-2007, 05:59 AM
I sensed there was a good reason I didn't care for her. She needs to have a good little talk with a certain Ms Salma Hayek.

Jack Lemmon might have given her a good tongue lashing also.

(parphrased) "After one has reached the penthouse, one has an obligation to send down the elevator and help someone else up"

i don't see why she needs to do something with anyone. why isn't her opinion on the subject thought of as correct?

not everyone feels the need to pioneer a message to everyone...

Realgirls4me
06-18-2007, 06:20 AM
it doesn't sound to me like she is hiding or denying anything. she even stated that her grandparents were born in california, as were her parents.

sounds to me like she is doing a great job of assimilating. maybe others should follow her lead in that...

She's doing exactly that. Maybe you should start thinking things through, like maybe where you be today if someone from the past hadn't open doors for you? Assimilating or running?

TJT
06-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Her dad sounds like friend of mine.

He's descended from Cubans who came to this country after the Spanish-American War. He has to travel to S.Florida on business from time to time. He's always cussing about "those damned Cubans" and how they won't speak English.

It's ironic as everyone who knows him here thinks of him as "that Cuban guy."

TJ347
06-18-2007, 06:22 AM
Some people...

I really couldn't care less what Jessica Alba has to say about anything, and everything I said was tongue in cheek, not that anyone ever notices that kind of thing here...

I thought it'd be enlightening to discuss different points of view on the issue of addressing or identifying with one's ethnicity (or not), but the way I went about it was wrong, and this is probably the wrong forum for that anyway, so I apologize to those people who actually thought about the issue before airing an opinion.

If we can't talk at least occasionally about subjects that actually require thinking before you begin typing a response, I'll take my lead from Silklove and concentrate on coming up with polls such as "What you would do with your second dick if you had two dicks?", and "What does salt taste like?"

Tanuki
06-18-2007, 06:32 AM
SHE IS HOT. NO ONE DENIES IT..

Realgirls4me
06-18-2007, 06:36 AM
SHE IS HOT. NO ONE DENIES IT..

As a member of the race, culture, language, or whatever she is hung up on, I give a fuck!!! She is disparaging me in other words. Got a problem with that?

By the way, do you always rationalize a person's shortcomings via their looks?

(I'm glad you had the decency to edit your post)

beatmaker
06-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately, Jessica Alba has drunk the Kool-Aid, America is serving many young celebrities of color. She is young, rich and famous and has become removed from the realities of the average minority in American society. Damon Wayans did a hilarious bit on his HBO special from the early 90's on this very thing. There was a hypothetical reporter asking him "Damon, now that you've made this 20 million dollars and we're not counting, is there racism in America?" and Damon answers "If there is, I ain't seened none" in the classic "scared slave" tone. Point he was trying to make, is that the mainstream wants you to deracinate yourself, so that the mainstream will be comfortable and not threatened by you. I've gained more respect for Oprah over the years, as she is at the pinnacle of fame and wealth in the entertainment industry and has not drunk the Kool-Aid (well maybe a shot glass). She even said the most hate mail she ever received, was when she covered the tragic events of Hurricane Katrina. To the idiots that wrote these letters, Oprah was O.K while she was on stage kissing Julia Robert's or Ben and Jen's azz, or making some author a boatload of cash recommending their books to her Book Club, but when she starting speaking truth to power, she was a "fat ni@@er" and everything else under the sun.

If you have parent(s), that don't instill a sense of culture in their children, they will fall victim to this "colorless society" myth or even learn to loath their ethnic physical characterics. It's another fact, that former Baywatch actress Traci Bingham falls into this category. While ain't the Playboy mansion and other social funtions, she only socializes with white men and mostly white women. She has had extensive facial surgery along with the green color contacts, to look more caucasian. Luckily, she is a no talent, silly acting individual who really wouldn't benefit our young people as a role model anyway. Anyway, there's been enough racially insensitive comments on this site alone, to know society isn't quite there yet to buy into this "coloress American" jive. These same people that trumpet the minority who only identifies as being "American", are the same people who will justify racial profiling for crime or terrorism prevention purposes. Yet, these policies will never adversely affect the lives of them and their loved ones. So, these people are disingenious from the door and shouldn't be taken seriously. Jessica Alba is a light-skinned Latina, but she clearly isn't a Caucasian. Cameron Diaz and Christina Aguilera can pull off the white girl thing, because they have white-skin privilege. America is no longer the place that dissects whites into the categories of acceptable ethnicities (English, German, French) and unacceptable ethnicities (Irish, Italian, Jewish, white Hispanic). In today's society, if you look white, than you're white and you are privy to the privileges, that come with that. It could be as simple as not getting followed around a store or being asked for I.D when using a credit card, when that's not store policy (personal experiences) or having a police officer write you a bogus ticket, because your driving a car he never could afford on a cop's salary.

Personally, people of color who try to downplay their cultural background are setting themselves up for a big fall. When the mainstream fanbase abandons you for the new flavor of the month and you've alienated your core cultural base, you're left with nothing! However, if you crossover but still remain true to your culture, you can always make a living entertaining in your community. If it wasn't for Spanish language television, Mexican actor Erik Estrada would probably be broke and disgusted. However, he never alienated his culture, even in the lily-white 1980's. Well, at least in his personal life, as he was dispicted as a white girl chaser on C.H.I.P.S for the most part romantically.

While I don't wish anyone's downfall, Jessica Alba is clearly not a talented actress and really hasn't displayed the business acumen of a J-Lo. I think in 20 years (probably less), people will be like "Jennifer Alba who?". Mainly, due to her falling out of favor in the mainstream and not having the core Latino audience in her corner, holding her down during the rough spots in her career, until she could rebound with another hit mainstream project.

I think Eva Longoria is a decent representative of the assimilated, but cultured Latina. I would say Jennifer Lopez is another one, but Marc Anthony is kinda taking her back to the essence. Basically, Ms. Alba better wake up and smell the coffee, before she falls harder than M.C Hammer.

Legend
06-18-2007, 08:57 AM
there are more important topics to discuss about mexicans then jessica alba being a pround american.

1.Immigration reform

Luna555
06-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I think her comments seemed like she is/was trying to deny her heritage....

While I find it silly that allot of Americans give Hispanics a hard time for representing their heritage especially Mexican-Americans...Allot of people don't really care that Italian-Americans or Irish-Americans do similar things like put up there flags representing their heritage and most people don't call that unpatriotic but if a Hispanic person does it well thats just unthought of...

Realgirls4me
06-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Well put, Beatmaker and Luna. I think all of us as minorities have to grudgingly play certain games that are required from time to time in order to get along with the majority, but when it is a flagrant, blatant complete about face from one's race or ethnicity, as it appears Alba is doing, and which just happens to mirror mine, I'm going to go, "Whoa!, what gives here?". It's one thing for her to sell out, it's a complete different thing to sell out and then take shots at your own kind. No one is suggesting that Jessica or her bigoted father start marching with Mexicans for a cause, but to diss her kind is just shortsighted and stupid.

Beatmaker: I didn't know that about Oprah and Katrina. Luckily, Oprah is now powerful and wealthy enough to slap that shit down. No one tells her what to do.

Luna: I always like telling those I sense as bigots to read the obits of those who have been killed in the middle east, and to count all the hispanic surnames that happen to hail from Mexico. Yep, it's okay for them to go fight and die for this country, but let one raise a flag on Cinco de Mayo, and it's get those illegals to learn English or get them out of here.

Legend: The thread here had to do with Alba, and not immigration.

tsntx
06-18-2007, 10:13 AM

1.Immigration reform

for one...

Luna555
06-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I think her comments also further encourage Mexican teen or people to be "ashamed"/ hide their heritage...

I used to feel similar and would always when race come to hand and asked about myself or something I would always add that I also had Chinese/Saudi Arabia/Spanish heritage. I find that silly now. I am who I am and I don't need to explain it. I would say things like that because I knew what stereotypes people would have in their minds if I were to just say Yes I am Mexican-American.

I do have those other ethnicities in my family tree but I don't any longer feel the need to tell people that. If they want to make stereotypes about me...I could not care less.

tsntx
06-18-2007, 10:24 AM
omg you guys are way over reacting .... GET A GRIP... its not like shes saying mexicans are disgusting, mexicans are worthless, mexicans will steal your valuables as they clean your houses, mexicans are only good for mowing your yard... she said shes an american, her parents come from here and their parents come from america as well.... just bc they are of mexican descent doesnt make them mexicans... if they were theyd be illegal aliens living on american soil... its called citizenship for a reason... everyone is from somewhere else somewhere down the line if they live in america but that doesnt mean we all have to claim "im this or that" when really youre not. youre american. get a grip ppl.

like i said worse things have been said and /or done about mexicans then this trite bs.

TJT
06-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I always considered Mexicans white. I guess it's what part of the country your from?

beatmaker
06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
omg you guys are way over reacting .... GET A GRIP... its not like shes saying mexicans are disgusting, mexicans are worthless, mexicans will still your valuables as they clean your houses, mexicans are only good for mowing your yard... she said shes an american, her parents come from here and their parents come from america as well.... just bc they are of mexican descent doesnt make them mexicans... if they were theyd be illegal aliens living on american soil... its called citizenship for a reason... everyone is from somewhere else somewhere down the line if they live in america but that doesnt mean we all have to claim "im this or that" when really youre not. youre american. get a grip ppl.

like i said worse things have been said and /or done about mexicans then this trite bs.

While you're part of an oppressed group (homosexual/transgendered), you don't know what it's like to be a minority, so it's easy to say someone is overeacting. I would never tell a TS she's being overly sensensitive about a specific issue, because I have no point of reference to speak intelligently. However, they're many dudes on HA who try to arrogantly speak for transsexuals, based on their uninformed perceptions. You even told another guy in a forum about Brazilian Trannies being gay men in it for the money, "You're a transsexual and he is not", therefore you had a point of reference he didn't regarding that specific situation. You can't have it both ways. While I respect your opinions, whites have got to stop telling people of color their overeacting about race-related issues. It just adds fuel to the fire, because you're looked at as being dismissive and arrogant.

beatmaker
06-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Damon Wayans did a hilarious bit on his HBO special from the early 90's on this very thing. There was a hypothetical reporter asking him "Damon, now that you've made this 20 million dollars and we're not counting, is there racism in America?" and Damon answers "If there is, I ain't seened none" in the classic "scared slave" tone. Point he was trying to make, is that the mainstream wants you to deracinate yourself, so that the mainstream will be comfortable and not threatened by you.

I found a link to this comedy bit on Youtube. It's funny as hell! What's ironic was after I mentioned it in my prior post, I went to Youtube to look up something else and the Damon Wayans stuff was in the "related clips" shown on the side of the page. Funny how things coincide. Anyway, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBx309ap294

P.S: That "Working Out" skit is some of the funniest shit I've heard in my life!

Legend
06-18-2007, 10:54 AM
omg you guys are way over reacting .... GET A GRIP... its not like shes saying mexicans are disgusting, mexicans are worthless, mexicans will steal your valuables as they clean your houses, mexicans are only good for mowing your yard... she said shes an american, her parents come from here and their parents come from america as well.... just bc they are of mexican descent doesnt make them mexicans... if they were theyd be illegal aliens living on american soil... its called citizenship for a reason... everyone is from somewhere else somewhere down the line if they live in america but that doesnt mean we all have to claim "im this or that" when really youre not. youre american. get a grip ppl.

I agree worse things have been said but yet people want to criticize alba like she is a bigot like bill oreilly but for some reason alba's enemy number 1 now.It just ashamed when people make such big deals on little things when their are more important things to discuss that could actually help out the community in many ways.The latino community should be worrying about fair more important issues then jessica alba.There are bigger fish then alba out there.

bill oreilly

We'd save lives because Mexican wetbacks, whatever you want to call them, the coyotes -- they're not going to do what they're doing now, so people aren't going to die in the desert. So we save lives, all right, and we seal it down and make it 100 times harder to come across.
http://www.oreilly-sucks.com/reyesvoreilly.htm

Where was the outcry when oreilly made his ignorant comments.

tsntx
06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
omg you guys are way over reacting .... GET A GRIP... its not like shes saying mexicans are disgusting, mexicans are worthless, mexicans will still your valuables as they clean your houses, mexicans are only good for mowing your yard... she said shes an american, her parents come from here and their parents come from america as well.... just bc they are of mexican descent doesnt make them mexicans... if they were theyd be illegal aliens living on american soil... its called citizenship for a reason... everyone is from somewhere else somewhere down the line if they live in america but that doesnt mean we all have to claim "im this or that" when really youre not. youre american. get a grip ppl.

While you're part of an oppressed group (homosexual/transgendered), you don't know what it's like to be a minority, so it's easy to say someone is overeacting. I would never tell a TS she's being overly sensensitive about a specific issue, because I have no point of reference to speak intelligently. However, they're many dudes on HA who try to arrogantly speak for transsexuals, based on their uninformed perceptions. You even told another guy in a forum about Brazilian Trannies being gay men in it for the money, "You're a transsexual and he is not", therefore you had a point of reference he didn't regarding that specific situation. You can't have it both ways. While I respect your opinions, whites have got to stop telling people of color their overeacting about race-related issues. It just adds fuel to the fire, because you're looked at as being dismissive and arrogant.

wow a well written, non flaming retort... finally some smart posters....

im speaking as an italian, as a german, as a french or spanish person... not a white person. when i posted it i saw it the same as "well i dont go around talking about or defending my lineage... someone asks i usually say american... if thats not enough i say im a texan.

i dont say im italian, german, french, or spainish... i say american... so there you go... from someone, like jessica alba, who has different lineages in her i still claim to be american... not white, and neither did jessica alba.

tsntx
06-18-2007, 01:31 PM
instead of bitching about jessica alba being a pround AMERICAN ... why dont you guys go after this mexican for making your "proud race" into a bad joke....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2035933408

TrueBeauty TS
06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
America used to be a Melting Pot, where everyone came from somewhere else and melded into what was called an "American".

Now America is a "mixed salad" with eveyone keeping the label of where they came from and adding the word "american" after it. The problem with a mixed salad is that you can pick out the things you don't like and excude them from the mainstream.

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 01:16 AM
tsntx,

Bitching? How would you react to someone, a post-op for example, running away from her "roots" as a male and denouncing all pre-ops as she does that? You're not a minority in this context so I don't expect you to really understand, although I was hoping you would. I would think you could empathize given you are part of a minority pushed to the margins a hell of a lot farther than the ignored sleeping giant we are.
How's this? Wouldn't it be great to see more transgendered people featured in a multitude of roles on TV, Movies, print media, etc.? I would think that would be super, just as I believe it would be great to finally see Mexican-Americans, who are a LARGE minority in this country, featured in print ads for Macy's, TV commercials, Movie roles, etc. Name me one -- ONE -- national TV commercial with a distinct Mexican-American presence or angle to it, particularly given what we spend in this country(in the tens of billions) ? How would you like it if every role transsexuals received were those of hookers and drug users? Is that an accurate and fair depiction of you and your sisters? HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THAT ?!
Chris Rock use to do a skit on race and those who sell out by denying what they are; he featured Rae Dung Chong as his prime example. Chong, in interviews,would claim she was a mixture of everything under the sun but black. Rock countered: "Try to marry a Kennedy and see how black you aren't..."
This is what Alba, and her ignorant father are spouting. They aren't spouting pride in their country, they are doing everything possible to cut connections to their race and ethnicity of the country their ancesters originally came from -- where my ancesters came from. Instead of pridefully embracing who she is, she's expressing shame in her lineage, and supporting the status quo; that's why some like me are pissed off at her and her father. I think it's time you got a grip by not only not putting words or thoughts in her mouth, or tallking about issues which aren't really germane here (illegality, citizenship, crooks, etc). The issue here is a woman who is placing her bank account before who she is, while disparaging and stigmatizing all those who share her ethnicity in the process like yours truly.

Legend: Let me see? Would you have told blacks back in the '40s that they had bigger issues to grapple with than whether this player named Robinson would be accepted in the big leagues? What if Robinson had thought along the lines of Jessica Alba, particularly her father?

Vicki Richter
06-19-2007, 01:50 AM
I have a question. At what point do people just become simply - Americans? My grandmother on one side was completely French and on the other side both grandparents were Cheklaslovakian - with their parents just coming off the boat. What Jessica Alba is saying is that her father is not half latin, that he is less than that by some degree. She says Carmen Diaz - who is 50%, is more latina than she is. If the girl is only 25% hispanic (or less), what is the problem with her considering her self non-latina?

You know, in Cheklaslovakia, many people live in just as bad, if not worse conditions than in Mexico. Houses without windows, no electricity, etc. The country was decimated by civil war. It is an impoverished nation needing a hand up also. I am not so far removed from my 50% Cheklaslovakian or even my 25% French roots and am certainly closer to being Cheklaslovakian than Alba is to being hispanic. I just don't see what is wrong with what she is saying. If someone asked me to make a statement on behalf of Cheklaslovakian Americans, I would simply say, "I am American and that is how I identify."

Realgirls, I feel what you are saying, but you have to at least be open to an alternative point of view.

http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldvillage.htm

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Vicki,

I love you girl (I really do![smootch]), but you have to see things through the eyes of someone who goes to movies, or turns on the TV, or opens to a newspaper ad, and never sees faces like his/hers there in order to attempt to understand. When I do see my kind there, it's usually in bit roles as the stereotypical chambermaids or gardners. I hate throwing out the "R" word, because one should only use it when it is sound, but that's institutionalized racism. It's by design to either omit or stigmatize Mexican-Americans. In other words, stay in your place, as it once was for blacks when they were depicted by Hollywood as butlers and maids only a couple of generations ago,and vapid clowns such as Jessica and her father don't help matters. If Jessica doesn't want to take up any minority causes, that's fine, as many don't opting for an easier life, but don't go out of your way to show how much you disdain your own kind. That's what really upsets me.

werwt22
06-19-2007, 03:39 AM
No surprise at all. That's why Vin Diesel says he's white even though he's only partially white obviously. A lot of the roles in Hollywood call for a specific race and like 70% at least of those roles call for you to be white. They say it's hard enough to get a gig not being white but when the role calls for a specific race then the mixed ones are still assed out and they have it worst than the latinos, blacks, and asians.

tubgirl
06-19-2007, 03:50 AM
This is what Alba, and her ignorant father are spouting. They aren't spouting pride in their country, they are doing everything possible to cut connections to their race and ethnicity of the country their ancesters originally came from -- where my ancesters came from. Instead of pridefully embracing who she is, she's expressing shame in her lineage, and supporting the status quo; that's why some like me are pissed off at her and her father. I think it's time you got a grip by not only not putting words or thoughts in her mouth, or tallking about issues which aren't really germane here (illegality, citizenship, crooks, etc). The issue here is a woman who is placing her bank account before who she is, while disparaging and stigmatizing all those who share her ethnicity in the process like yours truly.

freedom of speech only goes so far with you, doesn't it? don't assume that just because you care about the issue that everyone should have to. it's called an opinion, look it up...

and legality, citizenship, and assimilation never seem to be in your vocabulary.

Legend
06-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Legend: Let me see? Would you have told blacks back in the '40s that they had bigger issues to grapple with than whether this player named Robinson would be accepted in the big leagues? What if Robinson had thought along the lines of Jessica Alba, particularly her father?

Robinson was accepted in the big leagues when racial problems were an major issue and his acceptance in the big leagues helped that problem in a big way how is that even comparable to alba's situation.

I'm sure people like MLK and rosa park fought so people can complain about one irrelevant situation when they are bigger issues's at hand.I think you comparing this issue to robinson's is highly laughable.

TJ347
06-19-2007, 04:24 AM
America used to be a Melting Pot, where everyone came from somewhere else and melded into what was called an "American".

When, pray tell, was that? Because no matter how far back I go in US history, I find that the Irish, Germans, Chinese and everybody else were considered less American than those who were already here when those groups immigrated en masse later on. Separation in this way within the US is nothing new; look at almost any major city, and there are usually distinct areas where the blacks and Hispanics live, maybe a "Chinatown", probably a "Little Italy", and so on... as it's been for over a century. Some "melting pot".

hondarobot
06-19-2007, 04:32 AM
I have a question. At what point do people just become simply - Americans? My grandmother on one side was completely French and on the other side both grandparents were Cheklaslovakian - with their parents just coming off the boat. What Jessica Alba is saying is that her father is not half latin, that he is less than that by some degree. She says Carmen Diaz - who is 50%, is more latina than she is. If the girl is only 25% hispanic (or less), what is the problem with her considering her self non-latina?

You know, in Cheklaslovakia, many people live in just as bad, if not worse conditions than in Mexico. Houses without windows, no electricity, etc. The country was decimated by civil war. It is an impoverished nation needing a hand up also. I am not so far removed from my 50% Cheklaslovakian or even my 25% French roots and am certainly closer to being Cheklaslovakian than Alba is to being hispanic. I just don't see what is wrong with what she is saying. If someone asked me to make a statement on behalf of Cheklaslovakian Americans, I would simply say, "I am American and that is how I identify."

Realgirls, I feel what you are saying, but you have to at least be open to an alternative point of view.

http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/worldvillage.htm

"Cheklaslovakian". You horribly fucked the spelling up five times in one post. Look at it, it's even phonetically retarded. It's "Czechoslovakian". Goofball.

Felicia Katt
06-19-2007, 04:38 AM
Not getting a pat on the head isn't the same as getting slapped in the face. Nothing Jessica Alba said is remotely derogatory to Hispanics. She may not choose to fully embrace her latin heritage, but she hasn't strangled it either. My goodness, she was on the cover of the Spanish language magazine where this so called controversial article appears!!

There are lots of successful latin actors and actresses these days and they are not limited at all in their roles to some crude stereotypes. Here in California at least, Mexicans are more and more in the middle class mainstream. Language, legal status, and learning are the limiting factors, not racial or ethnic identity. I am trying to pick up Spanish bit by bit because so many of my friends are bilingual and will speak spanish, assuming I understand it. Given that 150 years ago, California was part of Mexico, and that in another 10-15 years, it will be again, at least culturally, as Hispanics become the minority, I think I am the one who should try assimliating so that I am not limiting myself

FK

TJ347
06-19-2007, 04:54 AM
freedom of speech only goes so far with you, doesn't it? don't assume that just because you care about the issue that everyone should have to. it's called an opinion, look it up...

and legality, citizenship, and assimilation never seem to be in your vocabulary.

It's interesting you bring up the issues of legality and citizenship, but in truth neither is relevant to the topic at hand, which is the denial of one's ethnic identity in order to "assimilate". While many people would have no problem simply identifying as American, like tsntx and possibly yourself, there are others who would like to hold on to their respective heritage, in some cases simply to keep it alive.

Sadly, as people have made the choice to let their heritage go in order to assimilate, entire cultures are on the brink of being lost which are of unestimable value. Not that most here would recognize or appreciate that fact, I'd imagine, but it's nonetheless true. For example, how many modern descendants of the Hopi Indians still know where their ancestors came from, the language they spoke, how their society was organized, their religious practices, etcetera? Some would of course say "Who cares?", but that would be an ignorant position to take, as Hopi culture (among many others) is a part of American history, as to begin with, they lived in what is now America, and secondly, their culture had a significant role in the story of the westward expansion of the United States.

And that's just one example...

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Fuck you and your little condescending post. What is your problem with me? If you really want me, why don't we just set aside a thread where you and I can have it out blow by blow? It seems that's what you want -- how's that for an opinion?

Oh, I see. Jessica Alba, a public figure mind you, can say something I find offensive and I'm just supposed to take it? Do you not ever disagree with what another has to say, particularly one that might have some sway in your little life?

What does that have anything to do with this thread? It's about what Jessica and her father said, remember?

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 05:03 AM
Robinson was accepted in the big leagues when racial problems were an major issue and his acceptance in the big leagues helped that problem in a big way how is that even comparable to alba's situation.

I'm sure people like MLK and rosa park fought so people can complain about one irrelevant situation when they are bigger issues's at hand.I think you comparing this issue to robinson's is highly laughable.

You keep trying to divert this thread about what Alba supposedly said into "bigger" issues, and all I'm saying is stick to the thread's original crux (Alba's quotes), and also to try to get you to see that they play a role in how we as Mexican-Americans are perceived. If our own kind are dissing us, what is to be expected from others? It's all connected.

I think you know very little about what Robinson went through. ...You don't want me to speak to you about those eras, Legend. You don't.

tubgirl
06-19-2007, 05:53 AM

Fuck you and your little condescending post. What is your problem with me? If you really want me, why don't we just set aside a thread where you and I can have it out blow by blow? It seems that's what you want -- how's that for an opinion?

Oh, I see. Jessica Alba, a public figure mind you, can say something I find offensive and I'm just supposed to take it? Do you not ever disagree with what another has to say, particularly one that might have some sway in your little life?

What does that have anything to do with this thread? It's about what Jessica and her father said, remember?

i have no problem with you, it seems that it is you who has issues with me. i never said you were supposed to "take it". what i said was, don't get all bent because she has differing views than you.

and as far as the "little life" comment, now who's being condescending? you are very quick to ire in your posts (i would have said anger, but i don't think it's quite at that stage), and i'm sure i'm not the only one who has noticed. your posts may have more weight if you refrained from the verbal attacks and name calling.

how's that for an opinion?

tubgirl
06-19-2007, 05:56 AM
You keep trying to divert this thread about what Alba supposedly said into "bigger" issues, and all I'm saying is stick to the thread's original crux (Alba's quotes), and also to try to get you to see that they play a role in how we as Mexican-Americans are perceived. If our own kind are dissing us, what is to be expected from others? It's all connected.

can you please, and i am asking you this as a human being, explain to me why her statements are so volitile? i'm being dead-on serious here. i honestly cannot see it, but that is probably because i haven't been where you are...

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 06:03 AM

i have no problem with you, it seems that it is you who has issues with me. i never said you were supposed to "take it". what i said was, don't get all bent because she has differing views than you.

and as far as the "little life" comment, now who's being condescending? you are very quick to ire in your posts (i would have said anger, but i don't think it's quite at that stage), and i'm sure i'm not the only one who has noticed. your posts may have more weight if you refrained from the verbal attacks and name calling.

how's that for an opinion?

I have no issues with you, but it seems you are very quick to make broad assumptions about me via my postings, here, and in a previous thread if I'm not mistaken. That's why I went after you. Read your post to me again, and tell me it isn't "loaded" and looking for a fight with its condescending curt tone. So how would you address such an issue if this were you? Draw that line for me. I'm not getting bent out of shape just trying to present my side through my observations and experiences.

You're right about one thing: You haven't seen me angry yet.

Legend
06-19-2007, 06:34 AM

I think you know very little about what Robinson went through. ...You don't want me to speak to you about those eras, Legend. You don't.

"divert" did you bring up the whole jackie robinson issue isn't that diverting this issue into something its not.There have been immigration threads before and they don't get the same response from people supposely fighting the power.

I know as much as what robinson went through then you,i know he and other fought for equal rights and made an issue about serious things that could benefit them as a people.

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 06:43 AM
"divert" did you bring up the whole jackie robinson issue isn't that diverting this issue into something its not.There have been immigration threads before and they don't get the same response from people supposely fighting the power.

I know as much as what robinson went through then you,i know he and other fought for equal rights and made an issue about serious things that could benefit them as a people.

No, bringing up an example to make a point is not diverting, as you have tried to do with immigration. This thread has never had anything to do with immigration or citizenship.
I was trying to illustrate to you that pioneers such as Robinson set the table for others by doing courageous things that many didn't have the cajones to do. I was trying to get you to juxtapose that which Robinson did with what chickenshit Alba, and others like her, are doing or have done in the past. Can you imagine Robinson dissing his race and burning bridges with his ancestry, race, and heritage simply to play ball with the Dodgers?

I doubt you know more about Robinson than I do, but give me your best if you'd like?

Legend
06-19-2007, 07:07 AM

No, bringing up an example to make a point is not diverting, as you have tried to do with immigration. This thread has never had anything to do with immigration or citizenship.
I was trying to illustrate to you that pioneers such as Robinson set the table for others by doing courageous things that many didn't have the cajones to do. I was trying to get you to juxtapose that which Robinson did with what chickenshit Alba, and others like her, are doing or have done in the past. Can you imagine Robinson dissing his race and burning bridges with his ancestry, race, and heritage simply to play ball with the Dodgers?

I doubt you know more about Robinson than I do, but give me your best if you'd like?

You guys act if alba is hitler,this thread is on par with the racist escort thread people with personal issues making it into something that it is not and should be focusing on bigger issues.I hope you make a big deal about serious issues when they do come up.

I know quite a bit about black history and i know they make issues about things that would help thier people in the color barrier and would not bring up issues for entertainment purposes.

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 07:14 AM
What?

Are you drunk?

Legend
06-19-2007, 07:28 AM
What?

Are you drunk?

No,are you?

Realgirls4me
06-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Your posts would suggest you are ... you're everywhere but the issue at hand.

muhmuh
06-19-2007, 10:28 AM
you're everywhere but the issue at hand.

ironically that was exactly what he was (rightfully) acusing you of

Vicki Richter
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
See that is how into my anscestory I am... I can't even spell it. There are some peeps from the former USSR who are pretty unhappy with me I imagine. I am definitely not representing.

tsntx
06-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Vicki,

I love you girl (I really do![smootch]),

but you have to see things through the eyes of someone who goes to movies, or turns on the TV, or opens to a newspaper ad, and never sees faces like his/hers there in order to attempt to understand.

When I do see my kind there, it's usually in bit roles as the stereotypical chambermaids or gardners. I hate throwing out the "R" word, because one should only use it when it is sound, but that's institutionalized racism. It's by design to either omit or stigmatize Mexican-Americans. In other words, stay in your place, as it once was for blacks when they were depicted by Hollywood as butlers and maids only a couple of generations ago,and vapid clowns such as Jessica and her father don't help matters. If Jessica doesn't want to take up any minority causes, that's fine, as many don't opting for an easier life, but don't go out of your way to show how much you disdain your own kind. That's what really upsets me.

not trying to get in a bitching match w/ you babe... but how do we NOT "see through the eyes of someone who goes to movies, or turns on the TV, or opens to a newspaper ad, and never sees faces like his/hers there" ??? where the hell are the positive TS women in films and tv that vicki and i see everytime we go to the movies? how do we NOT see it the same way... i think vicki explained what i was saying and really theres no other way to paint the picture... so im not going to argue a moot point. -j

Legend
06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Your posts would suggest you are ... you're everywhere but the issue at hand.

LOL like your bringing up jackie robinson is.I get it your pissed because alba isn't going out of her way to show her latin pride please get over it,it isn't like she speaks for all mexican people everywhere.You are letting one illrelevant actress cause you too get emotional for no reason.

There are tons of latin actresses that aren't afraid to show they heritage like eva longoria so why not just ignore alba or better yet don't see her movies and praise those who do show there pride.

Legend
06-19-2007, 11:48 AM
you're everywhere but the issue at hand.

ironically that was exactly what he was (rightfully) acusing you of

thanks

muhmuh
06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
i just figured by this logic were all denying our african heritage... lucys gonna be cross

TJT
06-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Maybe Fred and Ethel too.

hondarobot
06-19-2007, 02:42 PM
See that is how into my anscestory I am... I can't even spell it. There are some peeps from the former USSR who are pretty unhappy with me I imagine. I am definitely not representing.

A couple years ago you said your ancestory was French and Hungarian. Personally, I believe your heritage comes from somewhere in the region of Bigboobia and Goofblondestan.

tubgirl
06-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I have no issues with you, but it seems you are very quick to make broad assumptions about me via my postings, here, and in a previous thread if I'm not mistaken. That's why I went after you. Read your post to me again, and tell me it isn't "loaded" and looking for a fight with its condescending curt tone. So how would you address such an issue if this were you? Draw that line for me. I'm not getting bent out of shape just trying to present my side through my observations and experiences.

making assumptions based on posts is the only thing you can do on message boards unless you personally know the poster via other methods of communication.

my tone is often lost on people when i post. i have come to grips with that. as far as how i would address this issue, i'm still not sure what the issue is. but i'll give you one thing: you've got a hell of a lot more tenacity than i do. i am very poor with follow up on issues like these.

heh, i'm sorry, that line just made me chuckle...

The Truth
06-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I could care less if Jessica Alba identifies herself as Latina or not. The problem is that she used her so-called Latina image to make it into Hollywood, when being Latino/a was hot (Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, et al.). She made it clear she was proud to be Latina. Now that she's suppossedly made it big, she is backpedalling. So that is the beef that we Latinos have with her comments.

Cameron Diaz has never claimed to be Latina and she's never used that card before. That's why we have no beef with her. She is what she is. Miss Alba on the other hand, did play that card before, and now she doesn't to use it anymore. Plus, her ignorant grandfather saud he doesn't speak Mexican. That is a very offensive comment. So fuck her!

And complaining about what she said does not mean that we are ignoring other issues or that other things are not important.

TJT
06-19-2007, 08:05 PM
I saw Salma Hayek mentioned up the thread as being good example of someone embracing their heritage in a culturally biased business.

You do know Salma's father is an Arab? I don't see her being dragged over the coals for not openly embracing that side of her family tree as "selling out" or denying who she is?

Is it because she grew up in Mexico,ala Alba in the States,or is it that it could hurt her career if she played it up?I don't see anyone here criticizing Salma for not being a "proud Arab woman"?

Just a little something to ponder.

Vicki Richter
06-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Still nobody is addressing my inquiry about what % makes you a certain nationality.

25% or less does not make someone latina any more than it makes them French, Indian, or Turkish. When I used to goto school kids would say things like, "I am part Cherokee Indian". One kid had red hair, freckles, and pasty white skin.

My sister looks more hispanic than Jessica Alba. Is it the last name that makes the difference? I would feel like you feel if Jennifer Lopez was sidestepping her nationality, but you are talking about a full blooded latina girl vs a fractional. Also, I would think people would be annoyed that 50%Cameron Diaz never has done anything for the hispanic community while 25%, multiple generations removed Alba is not. Give the 75% non-hispanic girl a break.

Alba's father's comment sounds ignorant, but not insulting. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. I don't see him trying to be blatantly offensive to hispanic people. Is it not true that someone speaking spanish in Mexico vs Spain would sound quite different. Kind of like Alabama vs California. Personally I just wish everyone would intermix and we got over the whole race and heritage thing. It really divides us as fellow human beings.

hwbs
06-19-2007, 09:06 PM
i dont relate to any nationality cause i am a mutt ...i am 3rd generation born here...so i just identify with American...btw why is everyone so celebrity driven..i could care less who people , especially celebrities ,identify as..

tsntx
06-19-2007, 09:36 PM
i dont relate to any nationality cause i am a mutt ...i am 3rd generation born here...so i just identify with American...btw why is everyone so celebrity driven..i could care less who people , especially celebrities ,identify as..

agreed and co-sign

cept im more of a pedigree then a mutt ;) lol

ARMANIXXX
06-19-2007, 09:58 PM
TAG for later

BlackAdder
06-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Chapelle did a great sketch on the ills of keepin it real'

;)

TJT
06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
LOL. Yes he did Adder.

I just hope Dave is staying on this side of reality these days? That Comedy Central money he made off with can buy a lot of killer weed and mushrooms.

I figure Dave spends much of his current time watching his toenails grow and eating Doritos?