PDA

View Full Version : Goldmans Win Rights to OJ's Book: They Want to Rename It

chefmike
06-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Why does OJ continue to be persecuted? It's obvious that he is still grief-stricken, and that he continues his search for the real killers to this very day...and it appears as though OJ has discovered that the real killers have a fondness for golf courses...OJ is on the case...

MIAMI — A federal bankruptcy judge Friday awarded Ron Goldman's family the rights to O.J. Simpson's canceled book, "If I Did It," which the Goldmans want to rename "Confessions of a Double Murderer."

Goldman was slain along with Simpson's ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson in 1994. The Goldmans want the book's proceeds included as part of a nearly $33.5 million civil jury award they have been trying to collect for almost a decade.

The ruling "ensures that Mr. Simpson will never see another dime from this book," said Paul Battista, an attorney for the Goldman family.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge A. Jay Cristol ruled that Lorraine Brooke Associates, which owned the rights to the book, can be considered as belonging to the former football star. The company is run by Simpson's daughter, Arnelle.

O.J. Simpson's book contract with HarperCollins, and a money trail showing $630,000 transferred from the publisher to LBA and then to Simpson for his expenses, confirm his connection to the company, Cristol said.

LBA was "clearly accomplished to perpetuate a fraud," Cristol said.

Kendrick Whittle, the attorney for Simpson's daughter, said he had not decided yet if he would appeal. Arnelle Simpson attended the hearing but did not speak with reporters afterward.

Whittle said Cristol's ruling set a "scary" precedent: "What if she opens another business tomorrow? Are the Goldmans allowed to pursue that, too? Where do they stop?"

O.J. Simpson has maintained his innocence since his 1995 acquittal in the killings; a civil jury later found him liable.

In the book, Simpson explains how he might have committed the slayings. HarperCollins had planned to publish it, but canceled the deal with Simpson after public outrage.

The book's rights now pass to an independent trustee, Drew Dillworth, who will decide what to do with them, Battista said. A manuscript of the book was given to the trustee Friday, Whittle said.

Dillworth's attorney, Brian Rich, said they will now attempt to try to sell the rights to everything pertaining to the book and the HarperCollins contract "so that there will be funds to pay creditors of LBA, including the Goldmans."

Rich said there have been expressions of interest in buying the rights, but would not say who they were from.

Arnelle Simpson testified in a deposition Wednesday that the book was her idea, Battista said at Friday's hearing.

"LBA was to baby-sit _ her words _ baby-sit the book to make sure everything would go smoothly," Battista said.

Arnelle Simpson had sought to reorganize her company, which would have allowed her to maintain temporary control over the book's rights.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I wonder if they're renaming it to get out of paying Chris Rock and his writing staff

Mr_Choc69
06-17-2007, 01:01 AM
The Goldman's need to give it a rest already. It's over. OJ was found Not Guilty - yes they were able to win a lawsuit (I won't even touch that issue right now) - but seriously, I am sick of hearing about them.

blckhaze
06-17-2007, 01:18 AM
although im not a fan of the goldmans, OJ brought it on himself. He should have cut his losses and tried to make a living other ways. Writing a book about how you could have committed a crime most of the country thinks you did but got aquitted for isnt too bright to begin with, and the fact that he is of the darker persuation mean he should be happy that it was 1994 and not 1894.

Mr_Choc69
06-17-2007, 01:24 AM
although im not a fan of the goldmans, OJ brought it on himself. He should have cut his losses and tried to make a living other ways. Writing a book about how you could have committed a crime most of the country thinks you did but got aquitted for isnt too bright to begin with, and the fact that he is of the darker persuation mean he should be happy that it was 1994 and not 1894.

Agreed. OJ should keep his mouth shut and lay low. Some of his stunts are
quite comical - like his documentary. But I still can stand the Goldmans.

TrueBeauty TS
06-17-2007, 02:57 AM
The Goldman's need to give it a rest already. It's over. OJ was found Not Guilty - yes they were able to win a lawsuit (I won't even touch that issue right now) - but seriously, I am sick of hearing about them.

Yeah. Anyone who's kid gets slaughtered like this:

http://www.blurofinsanity.com/blurimages/oj_ron.jpg

and the murderer not only gets away with it, but gloats and brags about it by writing a book about "If I did it" (How many innocently accused people would do THAT?) they should just shut up, let it go and get over it. Come on.... it's just the murder of their son. What's the big deal?

Mr_Choc69
06-17-2007, 03:08 AM

and the murderer not only gets away with it, but gloats and brags about it by writing a book about "If I did it" (How many innocently accused people would do THAT?) they should just shut up, let it go and get over it. Come on.... it's just the murder of their son. What's the big deal?

I would agree with you " if the murderer DID get away with it". But you
are forgetting that he was found not guilty by a criminal court. So you are assuming that he is guilty in your stance - which I am sure you can not prove. So going on the basis that he is not guilty - the actions are not proper. Now I am sure you will argue the whole civil case - ok sure he was
found to be a civil responsible party by suit. But that is completely different than criminally responsible. The family should take their cause up with the court system. I am by no means saying that what happened to those two people is justified or can be eased - but the energy should be placed elsewhere like the kids and the healing process.

Willie Escalade
06-17-2007, 06:11 AM
So let's see.

O.J. writes the book, wanted to publish it as If I Did It, and gets condemed for it.

The Goldmans want the rights to the book and want to change the title to Confessions of a Double Murderer. Are they being celebrated?

Either way I think the money from the book would have gone to them in the first place...whether they liked the means of how they got it or not.

:2cent

chefmike
06-17-2007, 08:22 AM

No shit. It boggles the mind that people vilify the Goldmans while defending murdering vermin like Simpson.

sexyredman
06-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Now just change all your references from kid to ancestor and change the book reference to any general American history high school textbook and you have the American way of life as seen by African-Americans. We should just get over it, huh?>

LTR_Seeker
06-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Oj simpson is evil man who goes jack the ripper on his ex wife & ron goldman cause he cant let his nicole go i cant wait till he dies & burns in hell forever he digusting human being witgh no soul pure evil.

Realgirls4me
06-17-2007, 09:14 PM

The trace evidence at the crime scene notwithstanding along with other evidence like his cut hand, that Ford Bronco chase on the freeway really convinced me he didn't do it and an innocent conscience will opt for flight, but I won't even touch that issue right now...

There were many racists/segregationists/bigots/klan/etc that were found "Not Guilty" also by courts of law for a great period in this country's sullied history, so were those courts correct in their decisions too? So I take it you are always in concert with every court decision?

What gets to me about some in this thread and others like it, is not that some psychopath got away with murder and is walking the streets living life as if he had never done anything, because that has, and always will take place in our legal system, but that insensitive, uneducated, ignorant, detached, bigoted, empathy lacking clowns, such as this poster would dare to tell others to get over the loss of a family member. Who the fuck are you to tell anyone how to feel, particularly given how their lives were taken ?!

Simple question to you Mr_Choc69: If that were your big brother/son/daughter who was in that pool of blood, and it all went (accused beloved celebrity, kangaroo court proceedings, evidence placing the defendant at the scene, etc.) down the same way, would you like it if someone told you to "get over it" and to move on because justice was supposedly served ?

chefmike
06-17-2007, 11:09 PM

Now just change all your references from kid to ancestor and change the book reference to any general American history high school textbook and you have the American way of life as seen by African-Americans. We should just get over it, huh?>

Who said that? And what does that statement have to do with the Goldmans and Simpson? Are you equating condemnation of OJ with slavery? What does one have to do with the other? And WTF did OJ ever do for the black community? He was the epitome of an "Uncle Tom", wasn't he?