PDA

View Full Version : WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO?

General Disarray
06-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I liked writing the title to this thread in caps
It made me feel loud.

I used the search function, and could not find this topic, which is silly, because it's a pretty fundamental topic on forums, most even have music boards.

LONG THREAD MADE SHORT:
So, what kind of music do you listen to?

Personally I go for a mix of rolk, metal, and folk.
I like Ween, System of a Down (how can you not like Daron Malakian's guitar playing?), Faith No More, Sparks, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Aphex Twin, The Offspring, Rammstein (Operatic metal with the best stage show on earth, motherfucking flamethrower helmets!), Dream Theatre, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.

Music I don't like:
80's hair metal, rap after 1999, and pop songs that are more products than actual songs.

TheOne1
06-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Dream Theatre

Dream Theater, eh? surprised to see that in your list..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sjUKaPBRnsw

General Disarray
06-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Dream Theatre

Dream Theater, eh? surprised to see that in your list..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sjUKaPBRnsw
why is that? :?

TheOne1
06-15-2007, 11:36 PM
probably because they are not main stream like most of the other bands you listed......no Tool? or Mindless Self Indulgence>?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YOyb-fqnN28

General Disarray
06-15-2007, 11:37 PM
probably because they are not main stream like most of the other bands you listed......no Tool? or Mindless Self Indulgence>?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YOyb-fqnN28
Tool is good
MSI has no talent, they're capitalizing on whiny goth kids to buy their stuff as long as they seem alternative. Crappy techno.

TheOne1
06-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Tool is good
MSI has no talent, they're capitalizing on whiny goth kids to buy their stuff as long as they seem alternative. Crappy techno.

agree to that.. but how do you perceive system of a down? or offspring?

General Disarray
06-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Tool is good

agree to that.. but how do you perceive system of a down? or offspring?
SOAD has talent, good artful lyrics, great harmony in their vocals and masterful guitar playing. The Offspring just has fun laid back songs to listen to.

LG
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
What do I listen to? Anything I think is cool. I have some 250 CDs and maybe 3-4 Gb of mp3s. Jazz, rhythm and blues, old time rock and roll, heavy metal, punk, hip hop, blues, classical, ethnic and a fusion of two or more of the aforementioned. Off the top of my head, I like the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Small Faces, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, the Band, Dylan, the Doors, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Eddie Cochran, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Oasis, Blur, Bobby Darin, Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, The Byrds, Neil Young, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jefferson Airplane, Ry Cooder, The Crystal Method, Faithless, , the Chemical Brothers, Mint Royale, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, P!nk, Eminem, Public Enemy, Pharaohe Monch and a few more I can't remember right now.

General Disarray
06-15-2007, 11:55 PM
What do I listen to? Anything I think is cool. I have some 250 CDs and maybe 3-4 Gb of mp3s. Jazz, rhythm and blues, old time rock and roll, heavy metal, punk, hip hop, blues, classical, ethnic and a fusion of two or more of the aforementioned. Off the top of my head, I like the Beatles, the Who, the Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Small Faces, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, the Band, Dylan, the Doors, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Eddie Cochran, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Oasis, Blur, Bobby Darin, Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, The Byrds, Neil Young, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jefferson Airplane, Ry Cooder, The Crystal Method, Faithless, , the Chemical Brothers, Mint Royale, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, P!nk, Eminem, Public Enemy, Pharaohe Monch and a few more I can't remember right now.
BASS
HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?

gimmeurblood
06-16-2007, 12:02 AM
im a death metal kid through and through (even tho im almost 30 now hahha) but ive gained appreactiation for all kinds of tunes now from jewel to rancid to morbid angel to poison to the spin doctors to johnny cash to the insane clown posse, basically all kinds of music

p.s. Guns n ROses, The Misfits , HORSE the band, Carcass, Motley Crue etc...

White_Male_Canada
06-16-2007, 12:56 AM

LG
06-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey, WMC, when you're not talking politics, maybe you're not such a bad guy after all. If we could just keep you out of the Politics and Religion forum, you might actually earn some respect here.

Here's a vid you might like, just for you (consider it my olive branch to you): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAONEymW1k

But, on that subject, I think though a deaf person cannot hear music through his or her ears he can still play music in his head. Beethoven composed much of his music while deaf or nearly deaf and Mozart apparently didn't even need an instrument to write his music- he just wrote it down the way you and I write down words on paper.

Very few musicians have reached that level of genius since. John Lennon, maybe; Hendrix could do stuff with a guitar that most people couldn't even imagine; maybe a handful of others...

But nowadays the words are as important as the music. Dylan writes memorable music, even though it is simple (easy enough for beginners to play on the guitar) and his singing is not that good (when Manfred Mann first heard Dylan one of them asked why Dylan didn't get a better singer to sing his songs). But Dylan's lyrics are just brilliant. Many of Dylan's songs sound better when covered by Manfred Mann, the Byrds or Peter Paul and Mary than in the original form.

As for other great composers since the 50s, I'd include Chuck Berry, Paul Simon, Ray Davies, Neil Young, Robbie Robertson, Keith and Mick, Paul McCartney (the two leading Beatles wrote separately even though they were credited together), Smokey Robinson, Robbie Krieger (who wrote most of the Doors music with Morrison writing the lyrics), Marvin Gaye, Don McLean and a handful more- all brilliant but none of them geniuses.

TJT
06-16-2007, 02:32 AM
I'm going through one of my "nothin' but Howlin Wolf shall be played in my house" stages. I'll rotate through that into a "nothin' but Ramones" stage and then over to a "Dick Dale is God" mood. Throw in a Big Joe Turner/Little Richard month and that's about it.

BTW,the Anti-Morrissey law of 1988 remains in effect within my hearing range. Violators will be shot. (I'd shoot him,but the scrawny lil' pecker hides from me.)

trish
06-16-2007, 03:13 AM
My iPod is half classical and half jazz. Got a lot of J.S.Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Wagner, Debussy, Ravel, Mahler, Shoenberg, Webern, Sibelius, Messiaen, Glass etc. On the jazz side I go for Monk, Coltrane, Stitt, Rollins, Silver, Mingus, Bley etc.

steeleyscott
06-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Dream Theater are easily the best thing ive ever seen live, by a long long way,

General Disarray
06-16-2007, 03:31 AM
My iPod is half classical and half jazz. Got a lot of J.S.Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Wagner, Debussy, Ravel, Mahler, Shoenberg, Webern, Sibelius, Messiaen, Glass etc. On the jazz side I go for Monk, Coltrane, Stitt, Rollins, Silver, Mingus, Bley etc.
can I call you "Trish the dish"?

Nooksack
06-16-2007, 03:45 AM
I'm an ecclectic. I love most kinds of music with the exceptions being folk, bluegrass and a majority of the opera. But i love everything else from classical to hip hop, punk to heavy metal, trance/house to modern country (the kinds where you still own a dog, the truck works and your girlfriend hasn't left you for another man).

lesrg
06-16-2007, 03:49 AM
JOHNNY GUITAR WATSON A REAL MOTHER 1977

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSrvyjCnjGU

Freddie King Ain`t No Sunshine When She`s Gone

http://youtube.com/watch?v=16AnGcB7MHA

Jonny Lang - Quitter Never Wins

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrbe4_jonny-lang-quitter-never-wins-live

Ike & Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23ksw_ike-tina-turner-nutbush-city-limits

millie jackson - Gwen Mcrae - Ann Sexton - Betty Wright

TJT
06-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Is Johnny Watson still alive? I literally grew up listening to his records.

Ike Turner is one of the more underrated artists of our time. He and Jackie Brenston recorded what was arguably the first rock and roll record and as a talent scout he was instrumental in getting guys like BB King and Howlin' Wolf steady recording work and recognition. Crazy as Hell,but Ike is mighty man.

Speaking of guys like that,Willie Dixon was the king of talent scout/songwriters/musicians. He made Chess Records what it was and drove that post-war Chicago blues scene with his songwriting and eye for talent. Wasn't a bad bass player either.

Willie Escalade
06-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Mainly into rap and R&B. Love Philly Soul (O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, et.al.) I get into classic rock here and there, and I love jazz as well... specifically fusion jazz.

twowaybro
06-17-2007, 10:07 AM
hmmm...? Music like this:

http://www.vibe.com/music/revolutions/2007/06/prince_guitar/

scroll down and press play for a jolt of electricity.... 8) 8)

and u know what...the 80's were fun and wild...here's an example, P working out his girl band:

http://www.pllnet.com/video/Vanity6_DriveMeWild.wmv

LG
06-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Of course every topic worth doing, it seems, has been done before. Usually be me (although I tend to forget it). :lol:

I just realised we covered this nearly 2 years ago.

http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3472

russtafa
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
BLUES,50S R AND B,ROCK A BILLY ,PUNK ,BLUEGRASS,JAZZ,EARLY 90S TECHNO,HEAVY ROCK,8OS BALLADS And kilie Minogue and dimpels on a girls buttocks

robertlouis
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM

I like your taste Trish. Add Shostakovitch, Copland and Vaughan Williams on the classical side and we're there. My jazz taste is pretty mainstream - big band - Basie and Ellington - and piano - Tatum, Ellington, Petersen etc.

I'm a pro musician, and none of the above reflects what I write and play myself - acoustic songs in the James Taylor/Paul Simon/Ralph McTell/Richard Thompson style.

theone1982
04-19-2011, 08:51 AM
METAL!!!!:rock2:rock2:rock2

Deimos
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Honestly to name artists would take a while.

But mainly metal, industrial, goth, darkwave, some techno, aggressive rap (think Onyx or NWA), horror themed shit (this broad really as anything from Murderdolls or Misfits to Insane Poetry or KGP.. the later of which is rap)... I also really dig classical, movie scores, stuff like that. I actually dig few pop stars.. Lady Gaga and Madonna being favorites. I've been known to bump Abba, The Doors, and a few others from before my time.

Deimos
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
shit i forgot ELO

traLika
04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Mainly instrumental stuff: classical, jazz, jazz-rock, ambient, electronica, experimental...

Not too many songs in my collection but I sometimes like a bit of soul, punk, metal or 'easy listening' if I'm in the right mood!

And Frank Zappa!!! :)

Prospero
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Aaron Copland, Aleatory music, schoenberg, webern, the Beatles, dylan, prince, ellington, cltrane, monk, bach, mozart, vivaldi, stones, punk, Pink floyd, folk, richie havens, the band, pharoah sanders, the fugs, wld man fischer, zappa, beefheart, roches, kate and anna mcgarrigle, mussorgsky, dolly parton, johnny cash, diamanda galas, stevie wonder, basie, new york dolls,sex pistols, television, Talking heads, messian, syzmanowski, gershwin, cole porter, art tatum, springsteen, stockhausen, Pierre henry, NRPS, Jrry garcia, jefferson airplane, hendrix, chpin, schubert, schuman, richard strauss lieder, plainsong, couperin, Abba, neville brothers, PJ Harvey, jack bruce, Purcell, Elgar, Butterworth, Britten, Wagner, ravel, Tom Waits, Delius, Phil Ochs, Dan Hicks, Porter wagoner, merle Haggard, Sam Cooke, devil Doll, Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Najwa karim, Natasha Atlas, yasmin Levy, Penderecki, Kris Kristofferson, K T tunstall... and a few thousand other composers and artists.

Birgitta
04-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Almost all classical music
and:
Jane Siberry Hope Sandoval Björk Sandy Denny Tangerine Dream Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble Of Shadows Nina Hagen Laurie Anderson Natalie Merchant Nico Courtney Love Diamanda Galas Tori Amos Lydia Lunch Marianne Faithfull Nick Cave

I like a lot of music but these are artists that offer me some kind of mental space to relax myself in

traLika
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Tangerine Dream

I LOVE Phaedra and Rubycon! :)

Yvonne183
04-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Goth-Punk-Ska-Rockabilly-70's Soul-80's New Wave- and probably lots of other types but I am tired and need to sleep.

Birgitta
04-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I LOVE Phaedra and Rubycon! :)

Me too! Best music to chill out to in a lover's arms :D

Yvonne183
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
OMG,,, I forgot to add Blues to my list,, my favorite style of music. Well back to bed.

tvkim
04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Deep House and smooth Jazz

Quiet Reflections
04-19-2011, 12:58 PM
punk,all types of metal,bluegrass,rockabilly,psychobilly,surf rock,hardcore,reggae,jazz,r&B,country ,death rap,horrorcore,trance,trip hop,hip hop,dubstep,classical,oldies 40's-60's,american and Irish folk music,cajun music

Prospero
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Birgitta;919057]Almost all classical music
and:
Jane Siberry Hope Sandoval Björk Sandy Denny Tangerine Dream Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble Of Shadows Nina Hagen Laurie Anderson Natalie Merchant Nico Courtney Love Diamanda Galas Tori Amos Lydia Lunch Marianne Faithfull Nick Cave

Add all these to my list which is virtually endless anyway... music is one of the finest things in the universe

LeatherTGirlLover
04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
All kinds from Folk to Punk, from Dance to Heavy Rock, there's quality to be found in all forms of music just gotta separate the wheat from the chaff.

bte
04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
All kinds of music from death metal to hip hop to folk music to Arabic music.

Prospero
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Once again - I raise a glass to the open minded

amberskyi
04-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Rocking out with my cock (well my ass lol) out!

trish
04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
I like your taste Trish. Add Shostakovitch, Copland and Vaughan Williams on the classical side and we're there. My jazz taste is pretty mainstream - big band - Basie and Ellington - and piano - Tatum, Ellington, Petersen etc.

I'm a pro musician, and none of the above reflects what I write and play myself - acoustic songs in the James Taylor/Paul Simon/Ralph McTell/Richard Thompson style.
Love Shostakovitch's "String Quartet No.8." I have a version performed by the Borodin Quartet. I find Schnittke sometimes pulls on the same heartstrings: I recommend his "In Memoriam" which is a Viola Concerto. I used to listen a lot to Vaughn Williams' "Antartica." I'm not a big Copland fan, though he certainly his music is certainly iconic.

I adore Ellington and Strayhorn, Paul Bley and countless others.

Lately I've been streaming Q2 quite a bit.
http://www.wqxr.org/popup_player/#
It's a great source of serious new music. I rediscovered Ingram Marshall there and recently bought his "Dark Waters" for my iPod. If you like Sibelius and modern classical, you'll love Dark Waters.

Moogleman03
04-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Rocking out with my cock (well my ass lol) out!

Now THAT'S a show!!!

(Holding lighter up for an encore)

I want backstage access too! LOL

;)

speedking59
04-20-2011, 12:36 AM
hardcore, grindcore, death metal, black metal, drone metal, jazz

GoddessAthena85
11-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Punk, metal, ambient, drums, .... sometimes where words fail music speaks

Dino Velvet
11-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Perry Como ☃ It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas ☃ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_M-BLVSIk)

danthepoetman
11-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Ambient, “classical”, jazz, blues, soul, classic rock, alternative rock, some pop, very little country, gothic, some “world music”, 16th and 17th century religious choir music.
:dancing:
:party:

hippifried
11-04-2012, 06:25 AM
There's "kinds"?

hippifried
11-04-2012, 06:53 AM
My current YouTube stalking target is a pretty Asian looking lady, who's a classically trained & accomplished violinist. biologist, teacher, & bluegrass fiddler from somewhere in the back hills of Virginia, who plays jazz, & rock 'n roll from rap to heavy metal.

Her name is Ann Marie Calhoun. Check her out.

Ann Marie Calhoun - Phish fiddle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHSnE8raC0U)

Chaos
11-04-2012, 07:33 AM
I'd have to say my life in a soundtrack is mostly Heavy Metal. Then there's 70's rock,some Classical,anything that I can form an idea around while I work on my art.....but yeah....mostly Metal.

Prospero
11-04-2012, 08:45 AM
For me the best is the category broadly defined as classical (from plainsong to Philip Glass and Xenakis, but with a distinct preference for Bach and mozart) , followed by jazz (pretty much the whole gamut - but the best is Ellington through to Pharaoh Sanders, Monk, Coltrane.... john and alice) , followed by folk-rock, followed by classic rock - but my taste is as wide as the sea I'm afraid. I have something like two TB of music on an external hard drive, about 4,000 CDs and a wall of old vinyl from my days as a music writer. About the only music I find it hard to hear is metal, totally manufactured pop, bland MOR and some old country... oh and most rap and hip hop.

Hugo_2012
11-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I mostly agree with your musical preferences; i like classical musica and some opera (Magic flute, Carmen, Don Giovanni...), classical rock, ethno-music, jazz (i find free-jazz hard to listen, i prefer be-bop and jazz-club, something like Keith Jarrett, Charlie Parker, Chet Baker, John Coltrane..), tex-mex, Britishh or Irish folk music and blues. I can't stand to Michael Jackson or Barry White or Earth Wind and Fire....