PDA

View Full Version : FF:Rise of The Silver Surfer Opens Today

Legend
06-15-2007, 03:54 PM
So who is gonna put up with the crowds today,i have a feeling this one will be better then the last?

General124
06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
The only thing I'm concerned with is if the rumors are true that Galactus will only be some planet-eating cloud. Whoever came up with that idea should have his ass whipped.

tsntx
06-15-2007, 10:08 PM
The only thing I'm concerned with is if the rumors are true that Galactus will only be some planet-eating cloud. Whoever came up with that idea should have his ass whipped.

im excited to see it... as far as galactus goes... i was dissapointed w/ the idea he would just be a cloud but when you think about it... they have been trying to make the comic movies more realistic in a sence *x-men wore all black plain leather costumes and wolverine said "what didja expect me to wear? yellow and blue?"* so it only make sence that galactus is a cloud bc ppl that arent comic readers wouldnt quite understand how this man floats around space doing what he does... the cloud actually makes a lot of sence.

hondarobot
06-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm waiting until more reviews come in. The one I read today was 1 out of 4 stars, but it wasn't from a very reliable source.

I will not see it if Galactus is reduced to a cloud. I get all the reasonings for this, and the possible cloaking device would be plausible, but you just don't fuck with the Big Purple And Blue. That could have been the special effects event of the year. Easy.

mph
06-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I didn't see the first one, so I won't be seeing this one. They just don't get me excited.

"Yay. More comic book movies. Whoop-dee-dooo...zZzZ."

If Frank Miller, on the other hand, did it, I'd probably go see it. Ever since I saw Sin City and 300, I'm so his bitch. lol

Ecstatic
06-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Now that is the Fantastic Four! My wife and I just got back from the theatre (2 pm showing on Friday, no crowd, but I'm sure that won't be true tomorrow), and we both agree, this is how a superhero movie is made. I'd say it beat the first FF movie by a factor of 10 at least. The characterizations were spot on (I even liked Reed this time, and I couldn't stand him the first time, and more, I actually liked von Doom this time--even if he still isn't the real von Doom), the pacing was excellent, and the movie was neither too lean nor stretched out too long. Both of us the opposite feeling about Spidey 3: it was too long and tried to do too much (which is better than aiming low and trying for too little story), but FF: Rise hit it on the mark. This movie stands with my all-time favorite superhero adaptations, Superman I & II and Batman I, and even surpassed X2 which my wife and I both liked a lot (and we both thought X3 was largely a waste of film).

The Galactus as a cloud thing was fine by me: we didn't need to see the giant man inside the cloud, at least not this time around. While that image works in comics, I think it would have weakened the movie, and it would have taken too much from the rest of the storyline or added at least 30 minutes to the film if not an hour (and I think the 1.5 hour length was ideal). We know Galactus is a mean sumbitch; the story isn't him, it's how the FF and the Surfer respond to him.

The Surfer was deftly handled, and the flight scenes with the Torch are what CGI is made for.

*********SPOILER ALERT****************

My only quibble is overly associating the Surfer's power with his surfboard, but it worked very well and logically plotwise, so I have no problem with that.

All the backstory was excellent, from Stan Lee crashing the wedding (a cameo as himself this time) to Johnny seeking all the corporate endorsements. Among other qualities, what fundamentally sets the FF apart from all other superheroes and especially superhero teams is that they are a family (brother, sister, husband, best friend), and that came through with flying colors.

I don't want to give too much away, but the nice surprise for me was that they not only retold the most classic comic of all time (FF #50), but they also deftly tied in the classic tale of Doom and the Surfer.

Four stars. This is what a summer movie should be.

General Disarray
06-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Comics rarely make a good transition to movies. Look at any Alan Moore movie.

I hate F4 because it was more of a product than a true movie, just like Ghost Rider or the third X-Men filom without Brian Singer. This new film is already trying to take attention off of the the fantastic four and focus it on the silver surfer, why? because they have little chemistry when they act, and because the first movie was no where near as successful as projected.

I'm all geeked out for the day.

stillies77
06-15-2007, 11:57 PM

I hate F4 because it was more of a product than a true movie, just like Ghost Rider or the third X-Men filom without Brian Singer. This new film is already trying to take attention off of the the fantastic four and focus it on the silver surfer, why? because they have little chemistry when they act, and because the first movie was no where near as successful as projected.

Lately most comics dont seem good...however V for Vendetta being a moore adaptation was an amazing movie! Lately every comic book movie has been disappointing to me its like they arent trying hard anymore...at least its only one year until The Dark Knight...new costume looks sick! I will be seeing FF tonight at 10:30 and ill tell you guys what i thought of it.

Ecstatic
06-16-2007, 01:53 AM
V for Vendetta and Sin City and the like are in a different class. I agree both of these were brilliant (even though I found Sin City too blatantly violent for my tastes) and deserver comparison with Kill Bill or Enter the Dragon rather than a superhero adaptation, which if anything would be closer to a film like Serenity or The Fifth Element (both of which are faves). Hellboy kind of crosses over these two sub-genres, and I liked that one. I'm hopeful regarding The Watchmen, but we'll see.

Kabuki
06-16-2007, 02:18 AM
V for Vendetta and Sin City and the like are in a different class. I agree both of these were brilliant (even though I found Sin City too blatantly violent for my tastes) and deserver comparison with Kill Bill or Enter the Dragon rather than a superhero adaptation, which if anything would be closer to a film like Serenity or The Fifth Element (both of which are faves). Hellboy kind of crosses over these two sub-genres, and I liked that one. I'm hopeful regarding The Watchmen, but we'll see.

Ok...I'm going to continue the off topic discussions. V for Vendetta was a good film despite all the changes. Alan Moore wasn't too happy with the changes apparently.

Sin City was amazing because it was like a panel by panel recreation of the original comic series. Although, Jessica Alba's character was topless in the original work...A few changes were made obviously. I'm not much of a fan of Sin City, but I enjoyed the movie. It's a part of my dvd collection. 300 was amazing as well.

The adaption I'm curious to see is "Watchmen". 300 director Zack Snyder is about to start filming this film. Another Alan Moore story. I'm wondering how it will come out.
http://universmarvel.com/ftp/syntax/news/watchmen.jpg

Watchmen is set in 1985, in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union (the Doomsday Clock is at five minutes to midnight). It tells the story of a group of past and present superheroes and the events surrounding the mysterious murder of one of their own. Watchmen depicts superheroes as real people who must confront ethical and personal issues, who struggle with neuroses and failings, and who - with one notable exception - lack anything recognizable as super powers. Watchmen's deconstruction of the conventional superhero archetype, combined with its innovative adaptation of cinematic techniques and heavy use of symbolism, multi-layered dialogue, and metafiction, has influenced both comics and film.

As for the F4 film, I don't know when I will see it. I think I wanted to hear what people thought about the film first. Maybe I'll see the film this weekend or next week. Galactus could've been in the film though :cry:

General Disarray
06-16-2007, 03:19 AM

Lately most comics dont seem good...however V for Vendetta being a moore adaptation was an amazing movie! Lately every comic book movie has been disappointing to me its like they arent trying hard anymore...at least its only one year until The Dark Knight...new costume looks sick! I will be seeing FF tonight at 10:30 and ill tell you guys what i thought of it.
I believe in Harvey Dent

Mustard_Plug
06-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Most of Alan Moore films either hit or miss, League of Extrordinary was not so great, and I only grew to like From Hell after a few viewings, and V for Vendeta was great, in the end it all boils down to the writer and director and how they treat the material.

Obviously with directors like Tim Story and Brett Ratner your more than likely going to recieve a more commercialized film, I mean Fantastic Four has to go down as being the most blatant use of product placement ever. Does it hurt the film, in some ways mainly in the fact it takes you out of the story and reminds you its a movie. Where as with Batman Begins, Sin City, X-Men 2, and Spider-Man 2 you feel that the world the director created is real and almost as if you are watching a docu-pic.

In either case, in the end I just remind myself its just a movie, its just a movie...

BlackAdder
06-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Galactus is supposed to have a big spaceship that converts the planet into food.......thats all im sayin

Cloud=retarded

tsntx
06-16-2007, 06:56 AM
wheres that galactus still from?

xfiver
06-16-2007, 06:58 AM
wheres that galactus still from?

I was wondering that same thing. Looks cool.

stillies77
06-16-2007, 07:36 AM
thats from the marvel ultimate alliance game...

anyway...

Just got in from FF 2...i must say it was leaps and bounds better than the first one! The Surfer kicks ass and Doom is much better...it was funny like the first one but it was still just a B minus comic book movie...it was still better than Elektra and Ghost Rider though...which are like D comic movies. haha...in my opinion go check it out...it's actually funny and cool and a great summer take my mind off of things for a few hours movie!

I was pleasently surprised.

downblow
06-16-2007, 08:14 AM

im excited to see it... as far as galactus goes... i was dissapointed w/ the idea he would just be a cloud but when you think about it... they have been trying to make the comic movies more realistic in a sence *x-men wore all black plain leather costumes and wolverine said "what didja expect me to wear? yellow and blue?"* so it only make sence that galactus is a cloud bc ppl that arent comic readers wouldnt quite understand how this man floats around space doing what he does... the cloud actually makes a lot of sence.

Nothing better than a pretty lady who likes comic movies:)

Now back to topic...................> I'm hoping the new FF movie is great. The story from the comic series defines the marvel universe and it's first family of heroes.

In general though i think they really dumb down the movies for the general public. My examples are as follows...................>

Spiderman movies: In the comics peter parker was the typical nerd student. Extremely smart but lacked social skills and current fashion trends. After he was bitten and became spidey, he developed a web like substance and a weapon to shoot it from. Which was coined "the web shooters". This is just one of the ways you got to see how smart he was.
He designed many other objects in his life time and is the only person in the marvel universe who could kill the hulk. He discovered the hulks ability to heal and how to counteract that. Effectively killing the hulk off forever if he so chooses. In the movies you never saw anything about his superior intellect. Alright they'll believe that someone can get superpowers from a radioactive spider but they won't believe someone could have the intelligence to make a web like substance. Truly a sign of catering to the idiots in our society.

X-men movies: The x-men are mutants who believe in charles xaviers dream of peace between homo superior and homo sapien. In the comics you see how even though humans HATE the x-men and sometimes come in conflict with them, they still strive for that dream of peace. In the movies you don't see this as much. So you really don't fell like it's as dire as what they suggest. The comics sends out a very powerful political statement for peace between all who are different and i think that the films would take on a higher meaning if they shared the same dire history that the comics portray.

Blade movies: Blade is as dark a person can get. Forever at ends with both his human and nocturnal sides a struggle you don't see much in the films. In the films you only see his thirst for revenge against vampires.
Though this is the same as the comics character, you still don't see how on edge Blade is and how he could snap at any moment and start killing off humans for his desire for blood. Again it's shows in the comics that regardless of who you are or what haunts you, a person's heart and morality can overcome all darkness. Where do you see that in the films?

Dumbing down of great stories for the idiots who can't understand the background of these awesome characters is a sin and insults all the fans who made these characters great in the first place. Why follow these characters for over 20 years like i have and then see them change on scene to something completely different.

Mustard_Plug
06-16-2007, 09:44 AM
To be honest downblow, the film make only has so much time to spend in a movie on the characters and general idea of the comic. In the overall scheme of it I could really care less if they showed Petey making the web shooters, while it would be cool, it just made more sense to show it as a natural ability rather than create this elaborate to device to shot his web, and if I remember he used web catridges to form his webs not from himself.

The issue with X-Men, well to be honest each movie dealt with the X-Men saving human society, so I dont know how much further you could go there.

And for Blade, hes killed quite a few humans in each film, though mainly the ones that work for the vampires, still in each film he pretty much goes on a blood rampage and proceeds to beat the crap out of anyone in the room.

In the end, you just gotta realize they are not going to make a film catered specificaly to the fans, they might throw in little quirks here and there for the true fans, but in general a comic movie is going to be made for the most general wide appeal to make money, and thats what it truly comes down to.

DJ_Asia
06-16-2007, 06:34 PM
What a pile of manure! I wasnt expecting much, (in Thailand we dont get much other than this type of movie,so beggars cant be choosers),but this was even a dissapointment after expecting little.This movie was so bad that even the Thai theater I was in didnt respond to it at all...and thats bad cuz Thais like mucho queso on everything!

When are these people that make this shit going to understand that the folks that read the FF and Silver Surfer(and Spiderman,Superman,Batman,The Hulk...blah blah) are all now A-D-U-L-T-S...little kids dont know squat about this stuff so why take a classic storyline and iconic characters and waste them on the feeble minds of people who have yet to sprout pubic hairs?! If ya wanna make a zillion $$$ use CGI and create NEW superheroes,keep the plot minmal,and all the dialogue simple and clean ,but at least treat the classics with a little dignity by creating a movie with a plot and a script that reads above a 2nd grade remedial english class!!

This movie did not explain or show ANY of the SSs'powers(like time travel) and they totally dissed the story by having SS bring Jessica Alba back from the dead(he cant do that)

Oh yeah almost forgot the insulting Dodge emblem on the front grill and seat covers of the flying thing they created,and then "Does it have a Hemi?" :roll: Its bad enough that we have commercials BEFORE a movie(anyone remember the days when there was only cartoons,war updates and previews?) but now we are getting commercials IN the movie...!!!

The only saving graces in this legal robbery was Jessica Alba ( god she gets hotter and hotter) and a cameo by creator Stan Lee..

Save your $$$$

stillies77
06-17-2007, 05:24 AM
it wasnt THAT offensive...sheesh...i have seen much much worse...and i can say it was kinda cool.

calebshung
06-17-2007, 05:27 AM
that movie was a bit of a let down, though with the silver surfer how could you completely screw it up. Silver Surfer=best comicbook personality ever

General124
06-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Quite simply, this movie was nothing more but a set up for a Silver Surfer movie. Has to be. F4 was ok, much better than the first one, but not a blow out by any means. I was a little turned off by Jessica Alba's bleach blond look. If didn't fit her. It also looked like she lost more weight than she needed too.

Here's my thing - if you're going to bitch and moan because you don't think Alba looked Sue Storm-ish in the first movie, then why the fuck do you make Galactus a cloud? If you want to follow the book, follow it all the way.

All in all, the movie was OK, not good, not great, but ok. Much better than the first one.

On a side note however, the audience seemed more excited about UnderDog coming out in August than they are about Transformers. Goes to show how much Michael Bay has screwed things up.

And I'm awaiting Speed Racer in 2008.

Realgirls4me
06-18-2007, 03:06 AM
I'm going to go see it, despite what some in here might have thought of it. Hey, if it's better than the first, it has to be worth seeing. I didn't grow up reading comic books, but I do remember the cartoon series as a kid ... when is a Space Ghost movie coming out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUG-3AkfBLI

Jaysus, is this cartoon really 40 years old?

(Maybe one of these days I'll take one of my friends invitations to attend this ComicCon thing that takes place here once a year?)

ILuvGurls
06-18-2007, 03:18 AM
you comic fuckers are just too much. :roll:

Kabuki
06-19-2007, 12:10 AM
I finally got a chance to see the film, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than the first one. The characters were more developed, and a tad bit more believable. Reed wasn't annoying in this film, and I actually like him. I could see him participating in the club scene. I still have love for Jessica Alba, although the fake blond hair annoys me. Seeing the Torch in action more was another highlight of the film.

Ummm... I still think they could have showed the Silver Surfer confronting the real Galactus. I would have really loved the film then. I could add this film to my dvd collection though.

General124
06-19-2007, 03:30 AM
I finally got a chance to see the film, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than the first one. The characters were more developed, and a tad bit more believable. Reed wasn't annoying in this film, and I actually like him. I could see him participating in the club scene. I still have love for Jessica Alba, although the fake blond hair annoys me. Seeing the Torch in action more was another highlight of the film.

Ummm... I still think they could have showed the Silver Surfer confronting the real Galactus. I would have really loved the film then. I could add this film to my dvd collection though.

Man. Seeing that pic of Galactus makes me want to go play Ultimate Alliance right now.

tsluva
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
And I'm awaiting Speed Racer in 2008.

...along with Iron Man, The Incredible hulk, and the Dark Knight.

tsluva
06-19-2007, 07:13 AM
i was very disappointed in the Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Maybe many have low expectations and can accept average production
if they have something entirely different than the original FF film
( which the film had in the Silver Surfer)

but i for one thought director tim story did a horrible job
in exploiting and displaying the Surfer's full abilities in the film
( i wanted to see him fight the entire FF crew, the entire military
and a " real " Galactus )

Speaking of Galactus, both the director and the producer flat out
LIED when they mentioned that fans should expect far more from
the appearance of Galactus than a cosmic storm cloud, they said
that to keep viewers from being discouraged from not seeing the film.
To which that was the lame of all attempts on a super-villain.
The final battle between Surfer and the " cosmic-cloud " called
Galactus was as sorry as the appearance as Galactus himself.

Also practically all the action scenes that were previously on the
movie trailers were the bulk of the action.
the movie dragged in the first half, Story's character-development
again sucked ass, from FF members , to Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer
and of course Galactus. just not enough good special effects action
in for me. ......not for the Fantastic Four.

Successful action films are suppose to be significantly better
the 1st film to which Rise of the Silver Surfer only made
a 1 million dollars more than the original first
film so overrall Story just couldn't sell the FF as a huge market-getter
despite having surrounding elements like Surfer & Galactus at his
disposal.

Doom was still the miserable, bad idea cosmic powered Doom
he was in the first one. Again more clear faced than hideously
scarred in the comics.
And the Jessica Alba's fake aqua-blue eyes were just ridiculous!
... in an lousy attempt to make her more whiter, more blonder and
more blue-eyed.

Even with the Surfer added, this again was an average, disappointing
superhero action film.

Kabuki
06-19-2007, 07:28 AM
i was very disappointed in the Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Maybe many have low expectations and can accept average production
if they have something entirely different than the original FF film
( which the film had in the Silver Surfer)

but i for one thought director tim story did a horrible job
in exploiting and displaying the Surfer's full abilities in the film
( i wanted to see him fight the entire FF crew, the entire military
and a " real " Galactus )

Speaking of Galactus, both the director and the producer flat out
LIED when they mentioned that fans should expect far more from
the appearance of Galactus than a cosmic storm cloud, they said
that to keep viewers from being discouraged from not seeing the film.
To which that was the lame of all attempts on a super-villain.
The final battle between Surfer and the " cosmic-cloud " called
Galactus was as sorry as the appearance as Galactus himself.

Also practically all the action scenes that were previously on the
movie trailers were the bulk of the action.
the movie dragged in the first half, Story's character-development
again sucked ass, from FF members , to Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer
and of course Galactus. just not enough good special effects action
in for me. ......not for the Fantastic Four.

Successful action films are suppose to be significantly better
the 1st film to which Rise of the Silver Surfer only made
a 1 million dollars more than the original first
film so overrall Story just couldn't sell the FF as a huge market-getter
despite having surrounding elements like Surfer & Galactus at his
disposal.

Doom was still the miserable, bad idea cosmic powered Doom
he was in the first one. Again more clear faced than hideously
scarred in the comics.
And the Jessica Alba's fake aqua-blue eyes were just ridiculous!
... in an lousy attempt to make her more whiter, more blonder and
more blue-eyed.

Even with the Surfer added, this again was an average, disappointing
superhero action film.

I'm sorry to say that you expect too much. Especially after viewing the first film. For a movie industry film, it was ok. Hollywood usually slaughters comic book properties. I walked in the theatre not expecting much. I could slaughter the film if I really wanted to. Rise what just mindless fun. Just like the X-Men series, which was a mess. The casting and the storyline for each film in the series was a mess.

For everything you wanted to see, I doubt they would have a budget for it anyways. Just sit back, and enjoy the fact that your favorite characters are on the screen. I doubt Hollywood will ever please comic fans... unless they create films based on actual panels from the comic books. Like Sin City and 300.

Legend
06-19-2007, 07:32 AM

Man. Seeing that pic of Galactus makes me want to go play Ultimate Alliance right now.

That is a great game and i highly recommend it for any marvel fan,Galactus isn't a letdown there.

the Adrienne Barbeaubot
06-19-2007, 07:45 AM
I've always loved reading the FF, but now that I hear that Galactus is nothing more than a cloud, I'm not too eager to see this movie. I grew up reading and collecting comics. I have about 3,000 in my collection. I realize that making films requires some adaptations,but to totally change a major player like Galactus pisses me off. As a side note to Stan Lee: can I please see a DR. STRANGE movie in the works. He was always one of my favorites.