PDA

View Full Version : Sony can't catch a break

Legend
06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Anglicans accuse Sony of virtual desecration

LONDON - The Church of England, accusing Sony of "virtual desecration", called on the Japanese entertainment giant on Monday to apologise and withdraw a gun-filled computer game set in Manchester Cathedral.

It also called on Sony to contribute funds to help Manchester Cathedral combat gun crime that has gripped the city.

Anglican church authorities were outraged by the PlayStation3 game "Resistance: Fall of Man" that depicts a shootout in the cathedral nave.

"The video footage of the cathedral battle on YouTube has shocked and dismayed us beyond words. They can only be described as virtual desecration", Rogers Govender, Dean of Manchester Cathedral, told reporters.

"We are shocked to see a place of worship, prayer, learning and heritage being presented to the youth of today as a location where guns can be fired," he added.

Manchester Cathedral said Sony had not asked permission, but a statement from the multinational said "We believe we have sought and received all permissions necessary for the creation of the game."

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is aware of the concerns expressed by the Bishop of Manchester (Nigel McCulloch) and the cathedral authorities ... and we naturally take the concerns very seriously.

"It stressed that the game "is a fantasy science fiction game and is not based on reality."

Asked what Sony's next move would be, a spokesman said on Monday: "We are now in contact with the Cathedral authorities and will be dealing with them directly."

Cathedral Dean Govender, clearly dismayed by the game's content, said: "We were sickened to discover that the millions of people who play the game have a choice of weaponry to use within the cathedral."

Govender said it was well known that Manchester had a serious problem with gun crime, noting that three youths had been shot in the past 72 hours alone.

"Every year we invite hundreds of teenagers to come and see the cathedral so they might appreciate an alternative to the violence they experience in their daily lives," he said.

Laying out the cathedral's conditions, he said Sony should apologise unreservedly and withdraw the game.

He said the church authorities would also ask Sony to make a substantial donation to its education department for work in trying to combat Manchester's gun culture.

"For the global manufacturer Sony to recreate the interior of any religious building such as a mosque, a synagogue or in this case a cathedral with photo realistic quality and then encourage people to have gun battles in the building is beyond belief."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10445102

Pretty sad indeed....

biguy4tvtscd
06-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Pretty sad indeed....

Yes, it is quite sad that the church continues to believe it is above any criticism, parody, mockery, etc...

As much as I dislike SONY for it's recent moves concerning "hidden" software installs and draconian anti-copy measures, my advice to them would be to give no more than a high hearty Fuck You to the Anglican church.

mph
06-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I couldn't care less about Sony, and my care level for the church is in the negatives. Boo hoo... their little building was put into a video game, a piece of fantasy, and they had to go and get their panties in a bunch.

Bah, I say. Bah.

London Guy
06-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Surely chaps, you must concede that somethings are sacred to some people

biguy4tvtscd
06-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Oh absolutely.

However, surely you must concede that simply because "X" is sacred to you, doesn't automatically make it sacred to everyone or anyone else. Nor does it mean that anyone and everyone else must give it the same reverence you do.

Basically, "sacred" is in the eye of the beholder. It's an opinion.

houstonshemalefan
06-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes, because fighting against these things is soooo much like real life and kids fighting kids:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5439/techgrunt0gt.jpg

Give me a break!

tsntx
06-12-2007, 10:25 PM
"Yes, it is quite sad that the church continues to believe it is above any criticism, parody, mockery, etc... "

couldnt have said it better

a place where fiction is worshipped gets upset that a video game used it as a factual place in a fictual setting... they just want money... just like every other church.

London Guy
06-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Oh absolutely.

However, surely you must concede that simply because "X" is sacred to you, doesn't automatically make it sacred to everyone or anyone else. Nor does it mean that anyone and everyone else must give it the same reverence you do.

Basically, "sacred" is in the eye of the beholder. It's an opinion.

Fair comment biguy, I could not dispute this. Your logic could well indeed be applied to other abstract concepts that are pertinent here, namely taste, decency and respect.

However, Sony have seemingly gone about this in a rather underhand way and upset many people and for what? - a crappy game.

taniatv
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Thank God Sony didn't choose a mosque to do the battle scene in. The CofE is a safe and soft touch by comparison and the modern day CofE does not promote violence so they had every right to complain. The church still is sacred to a large minority in the Uk.

Boldlygonedownbefore
06-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Which is really "beyond belief"......

A.) A game in which characters that are not real shoot fake guns in a virtual cathedral

OR

B.) Real church leaders molesting real kids and then not reporting those leaders to the real police in the real world

I'm gonna choose B

tsntx
06-13-2007, 02:06 AM
hahaha ^ :claps:

Legend
06-13-2007, 02:26 AM

A.) A game in which characters that are not real shoot fake guns in a virtual cathedral

OR

B.) Real church leaders molesting real kids and then not reporting those leaders to the real police in the real world

I'm gonna choose B

LOL

taniatv
06-13-2007, 03:03 AM

OR

I'm gonna choose B

Correct, no argument there.

It's just a matter of respect. Sony should have researched it better and not used a house of peace/worship to stage a war game.
If their intention was publicity they got it.

rt_saurus
06-13-2007, 02:57 PM

You forgot to add: "And then relocating these 'leaders' to new parishes (without warning anyone) so they can start all over again with fresh victims."

BlackAdder
06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
A matter of respect??? :roll: