PDA

View Full Version : This is why I don't fuck with rollercoasters.............

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-12-2007, 12:41 AM
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2007/06/10/image2908688g.jpg

A dozen riders on an Arkansas roller coaster spent half an hour hanging upside down — 150 feet above the ground — after a power outage shut down the attraction.

It took about 30 minutes for the city Fire Department to rescue the riders using a ladder truck Saturday evening, said Aundrea Crary, spokeswoman for the Springs & Crystal Falls amusement park.

Spectators cheered when the riders were brought to the ground from the highest point of a loop on the X-Coaster, but one passenger threw up after reaching safety.

The X-Coaster was one of several rides brought to a halt by the outage that originated somewhere near the park.

"You could tell who got off the (X-Coaster) because their faces were red," said Angela Salter. She was riding the Gauntlet, another coaster, and said park employees worked quickly to free her.

The park resumed normal operations, although the X-Coaster remained closed.

One X-Coaster passenger, Jay Plummer, 37, was taken to St. Joseph Mercy Medical Center in Hot Springs after complaining of neck pain and a headache.

"It was very scary," said his girlfriend, Connie McBride. "I love the amusement park, but I will never get on the X-Coaster again."

The park has experienced outages before, but usually they last only seconds, said Dan Aylward, Magic Springs president and general manager.

Entergy Corp. was investigating but crews found no faulty wiring.

"The cause could be a (tree) limb or as simple as an animal (on the lines)," said Mark Hunt, general manager of customer service for Entergy. "We could find no faults, but we are going to continue to investigate until we find the cause."

Had that been the Coney Island Cyclone they'd all be dead............
fuck rollercoasters I'll stick with the Long Island Expressway and the I-95 for ultimate speed rushes

MonsieurValentine
06-12-2007, 12:44 AM
ah, shit happens. i love me some roller coasters.

General Disarray
06-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I was just at Cedar Park and road a roller coaster that goes 120 mph at a 90 degree angle into the stratosphere.

LG
06-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Roller-coasters are fun. But I tend to puke my guts out as soon as I get off them, which is a less than fulfilling experience.

mph
06-12-2007, 02:13 AM
The last roller coaster I got on was the Python at Adventure World (now Six Flags America). The heights, combined with traveling backwards did not help make ours a positive relationship.

That situation in the article probably would've had me filling my pants with chocolate pudding. Thank god for restraints. lol

BeardedOne
06-12-2007, 02:17 AM
I'm confused. :?

Having run trams and subway trains, I can understand a power outage causing a train to lose power and roll to a stop. But I always thought/understood that the only power a roller coaster has is in the initial run to the top of the first tower (Typically by chain, similar to an inclined railway/funicular), with the rest of the ride dependent on gravity, momentum, and centrifigal force. After all, that's where the term "COASTER" is derived.

What am I missing here? Is the X-Coaster a powered ride, contrary to the accepted dynamics of the typical roller-coaster?

ILuvGurls
06-12-2007, 02:28 AM
was going to try and paste some images a friend sent me from cedar point. i'll have to do it the old fashion way.

ILuvGurls
06-12-2007, 02:30 AM
the last pic tells it all.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-12-2007, 02:32 AM
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HELL YEAH

mph
06-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Jesus God, what a coaster. I'm getting dizzy just thinking being on it. lol

That girl is awesome, btw. haha

hwbs
06-12-2007, 03:05 AM
i want to go there so bad

MonsieurValentine
06-12-2007, 03:28 AM
the titan at six flags over texas, ooooh mama!