PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Grand Prix

TJ347
06-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Rookie phenom Lewis Hamilton scores his first pole position in F1, which was perhaps gifted to him by his teammate, two time World Champion Fernando Alonso. Of course, McLaren Mercedes and Alonso would deny this, but who cares really? Lewis is on pole!

True, when all is said and done, it'll be Alonso or Raikkonen for the win, but Lewis is almost certain to yet again wind up on the podium, for the sixth time in as many races. Or will he? Could Nick Heidfeld, starting from P3, finally score the win BMW's been waiting for, or finish third behind Alonso and Raikkonen, putting Lewis in the shade for the first time?

tsafficianado
06-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Don't think pole was a gift, LH ran two of the three quickest laps during the Q sessions. Don't get me wrong, Kimi's my fave, but I don't think I would put any money on him for even a podium in this one, he's been struggling. My bet is Alonso-Hamilton-Heidfeld. Depends on who can keep off of the 'wall of champions'. What a beautiful track, love Toronto.

I was reminded of a show I saw on Discovery a couple of years ago breaking down some of the F1 tech stuff. They had either an F1 or a Champ car in a BIG, long straight tunnel (superconductor? dunno?). I guess it was about 24-30 ft in diameter. The driver got the car up to about 170 and then rolled inverted and drove down the tunnel stuck to the ceiling. Amazing!

It was Ladies' Night in Texas last night. Danica 3rd, Sarah 10th and Milka 11th. Danica's day is coming, count on it, she ran very well last night.

tsafficianado
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
what a mess!
certainly hope kubica is alright, that was a NASTY crash, i would have sworn he was doa.
alonso was really fast when he was actually ON the track or not sitting for his penalty or stuck in traffic.
what would the odds have been that wurz and kovaleinen would have finished in top 4? a million to one?
bad day for ferrari.....massa is cooked.

TJ347
06-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Crap! I missed the race last night, so I didn't see Milka's 11th place finish, nor did I remember to set the DVR to record the race, damn it all.

Fortunately, I did set the DVR to record the Canadian GP, which I'll be watching in a few minutes...

Caleigh
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
i can't believe the cars were so out of control though. how many crashes in total were there?
and that didn't include how many times cars went onto the green. maybe the track wasn't totally dry
from some light rain the day before and people were unprepared.

FINALLY a regular channel is carrying F1, even if it's
just these two North American races.

The Truth
06-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Congratulations to the first black person to win an F1 race. Way to go Lewis!

tsafficianado
06-10-2007, 10:52 PM
TJ, i sort of gussied up the ladies' performance in texas.....milka was next to last as she was the whole race.....there was a mega-crash that took out 6 of the top positions late in the race. as i recall milka was down 3 laps at the finish. still, her fast lap was only about 5 miles off the pace and most people would have a cardiac at anything close to that speed.
danica ran extremely well and spent most of the race between 4th and 7th, and she got hung up behind a lapped driver in the last couple of laps or she might have had a run at 2nd.
danica and milka.....there's a fantasy.

sorry if i spoiled the F1 tivo. it was a real mess. hamilton was all by himself all day. alonso didn't spend much time ON the track. scott speed made a real dummy move, i don't think he will have a ride much longer.

Oli
06-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Tako's move on Alonso was a classic!
Kubica only has a broken leg after that horrific crash.
Caleigh, that circuit is always troublesome, with 3 reverse camber turns and walls tight on the course.

TJ347
06-11-2007, 04:47 AM
After watching the race, I still can't believe what I saw. That Kubica survived that crash is a testament to the integrity of the modern F1 cockpit, without question. Massa and Fisi getting black flagged was a surprise, as I can't remember the last time that happened or figure out why it took as long as it did for that decision to come down.

I still believe something was wrong with Fernando's car, as there's no way Sato could've passed him otherwise. That move Sato made was nothing special, as Alonso was moving slowly, indicating something was wrong on the car, IMO. Still, Lewis got his win, and that's all that really matters to me, as I want Ferrari to lose each and every time they go out.

The circuit is known for being slippery, so I wasn't surprised that there were so many accidents, though I was surprised at who managed to avoid involvement, as I'd expected Heikki to retire after colliding with the wall given how he did in practice and qualifying.