PDA

View Full Version : The Eight Least Intelligent Dog Breeds.....................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Lets face it, some dog breeds are smarter than others. When dog lovers purchase breeds that are low on the intelligence chain, they often get animals that are extremely difficult to train. These dogs require significantly more training time than more intelligent breeds.

We all prefer certain breeds for different reasons. Intelligence is not always the deciding factor when we choose our beloved pooch. If you want a dog that is smart and easy to train, there are eight breeds that should be avoided.

1.Afghan Hound http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/hound/images/afghanhd.jpg
- The Afghan Hound is a medium sized dog with a long lean build. They can weigh between 50 and 60 pounds. It originates from Afghanistan and has a gentle docile nature. The Afghan Hound has a really long coat that needs to be washed weekly to minimize matting.This breed has a life expectancy of 12 to15 years.

2. Basenji - http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/breedinformation/hound/images/basenji.jpg
This is a small dog that originates out of Africa. It can weigh up to twenty four pounds at maturity. The Basenji have erect ears, short hair and a curly tail. These dogs are very independent and they don't like getting wet.

3.Bulldog - http://bulldogbreeds.com/breeders/pics/charliev_bulldog.jpg
This breed originates from England. They are short and thick in build. The Bulldog is extremely powerful and has skin that sags all over. This breed usually weighs between forty and fifty pounds at maturity. Because some breeders make it a point to breed Bulldogs for aggressive tendencies, care should be taken when choosing one as a pet.

4.Chow Chow - http://www.gammy.ru/log001.jpg
Originating from China, it is said that the chow is the oldest breed of dog in the world. The Chow is easily recognized by it's distinctive lion-like appearance and short broad features. The Chow is very independent, and can sometimes be indifferent where training is concerned.

5.Borzoi - http://www.petgroomer.com/BREEDS/borzoi-kobold.jpg
The Borzoi also referred to as the Russian Wolfhound, originates from Russia. The Borzoi have a mid length wavy coat. They have a quiet, sensitive temperament, and can weigh as much as 100 pounds at maturity.

6.Bloodhound - http://www.cz-pes.cz/atlas/bloodhound/bloodhound-01.jpg
The Bloodhound Originates from Belgium. This breed is easily recognized by its excessively drooping skin and sad look. The bloodhound has a keen sense of smell and often used by authorities to track humans. This dog can weigh up to 110 pounds at maturity. The Bloodhound has a strong will, and can often be difficult to train.

7.Pekingese - http://www.puppydogweb.com/gallery/pekingeses/pekingese_burgess.JPG
This small toy dog originates from china, weighing between 7 and 14 pounds at maturity. The Pekingese is extremely stubborn and can be difficult to train. If they are not socialized as puppies, the Pekingese will not get along with strange people, or other dogs.

8.Mastiff - http://www.doginfomat.com/mastiff_humphrey.jpg
The English Mastiff originates from England and has square, thick, features. This dog is gigantic and will easily weigh over 315 pounds at maturity. The Mastiff is kind, sensitive, and overprotective.

Now I know quite a few of you heathens that have some of those on the list. I'm not going to say any names, but you know damn well you got some dumb ass mutts laying around..................

ILuvGurls
06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
irish setter?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-09-2007, 02:09 PM
lol, I owned a labrador retriever as a kid and that bitch was not only intelligent but defensive as fuck........ maybe you just knew of a bad seed.

arnie666
06-09-2007, 02:30 PM
:D Standard poodles should have a mention. While very intellligent dogs. They are a bugger to train and higly stubborn. I had one when I was young and when in training classes he would turn around and not face the trainer and the trainer couldn't move him. I used to have to try to lift him (they are quite large dogs) to turn him round to face the trainer.

It was impossible to train him .And they are french ! stubborness is in the blood

steven_638
06-09-2007, 03:03 PM
You can't have a list like that and not include the Dalmation....Them's some ignernt dogs!!! (yes, I am fully aware of my grammar and spelling)

JWBL, I don't understand how the Chow Chow got included, I have owned 3 of them, and they were all highly intelligent, of course they were all diva like in their attitudes, as well....I guess that's why I loved them.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-09-2007, 03:45 PM
there seems to be some confusion with how I post things.................... please do not assume that I compiled this list myself, I got it from a website I frequent. Everything in italics was not written by me. I thought it was amusing, and posted it........... if you have problems with the list I'll link the original article and see if the writer left an email address for you all to bitch & moan to..............

Silvester I did not understand your reply using my Paris crying like a bitch avatar in your comment, please explain.............

Nooksack
06-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Dalmatians are idiots, too and I wouldn't label most Dobermans as being the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I've found Australian Sheep Dogs and Rhodesian Ridgebacks to be really smart, the latter despite a lot of people saying that they aren't.

ballbreaker
06-09-2007, 04:35 PM
the smartest dogs are german shepards and malinois in my opinion.

francisfkudrow
06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Boston Terriers are kind of dumb.

Vicki Richter
06-09-2007, 06:29 PM
My Yorkie, despite having a peanut brain, is smart and calculating. Sneaky little bitch.

muhmuh
06-09-2007, 08:53 PM
the author whoever he is is wrong on at least 1 race
chows arent hard to train because theyre stupid theyre hard to train because they wont accept anybody but themself as leader of the pack

tsntx
06-09-2007, 09:29 PM
this is my jack russel "jazmyn"

shes smart as hell and seriously the best dog ive ever had... when i did my follow-up audition for the reality show on LOGO they told me i had the part if she went w/ me. some of you might think its sad/ pathetic but if i didnt have her to depend on me i probably wouldnt have gotten through the summer '06 alive. she means the world to me.

taniatv
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
this is my jack russel "jazmyn"

My favourite breed, they are very smart.

I think French Bulldogs are not too good upstairs, surprsingly they also originate from England. Dachshunds have to be the most stubborn.

TJT
06-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Which are the best tasting?

ulickeydickey?
06-09-2007, 11:37 PM
The ones used in Combo Number 5.

NYTSJulie
06-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I have a Pek and he is so handsome, I love my little baby.

tsntx
06-10-2007, 12:17 AM
lolol julie your dog looks like the dragon from that movie "the neverending story" or w/e lol

NYTSJulie
06-10-2007, 12:20 AM
lolol julie your dog looks like the dragon from that movie "the neverending story" or w/e lol

That thing grossed me out when I saw that move as a kid, its skin looked like corn on the cob.

dan_drade
06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
My Yorkie, despite having a peanut brain, is smart and calculating. Sneaky little bitch.

OK, I don't mean to hijack this link, but how are yorkie dogs in general. The reason I ask is because my GF wants me to buy her one. I know nothing about the breed except that a girl i was dating when i was in high school used to have one. The damn thing would always bit me in the ankles when I was walking away Hahahaha. Anyway, are they generally a cool dog or are they real radical dog?

tsntx
06-10-2007, 12:23 AM
LMAO that is so funny i forgot all about that but yeah i remember thinking the scales or w/e were on that were sooooo disgusting

http://www.geocities.com/autumnsleave/falcor.jpg

tsntx
06-10-2007, 12:25 AM

OK, I don't mean to hijack this link, but how are yorkie dogs in general. The reason I ask is because my GF wants me to buy her one. I know nothing about the breed except that a girl i was dating when i was in high school used to have one. The damn thing would always bit me in the ankles when I was walking away Hahahaha. Anyway, are they generally a cool dog or are they real radical dog?

yorkies are great... my ex got ours "lil man" in the divorce

this is a pic i took of him w/ a friend

NYTSJulie
06-10-2007, 12:25 AM
that thing gave my nightmares

Vicki Richter
06-10-2007, 12:26 AM

Well to buy into a nice female Yorkie you will spend about $1500 - $2k. The males are more like a grand. They are alright. Definitely not overly aggressive in my experience.

dan_drade
06-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey thanks for the input ladies. I am going to get her a female because that is what she wants. She does not want a male dog at all. But as long as the breed has a decent temperment I am cool with it. I have found a breeder and I think she told me they are about 1000 bucks each. It's a little steep, but much chaper that some of the designer dogs she was looking at. Some of them are in the thousands of dollars and not even ACK registered and I am sure some of them are backyard breeders as well.

Anyway, Thanks :)

tsntx
06-10-2007, 12:39 AM
np... personally i thought my male yorkie was more loyal to me then the female one i had... to each their own. ;D

jmt
06-10-2007, 01:40 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ottorocket
06-10-2007, 02:37 AM
This is my little Maltese...he's a slut and he's smart.

Marinus
06-10-2007, 02:43 AM
lol, I owned a labrador retriever as a kid and that bitch was not only intelligent but defensive as fuck........ maybe you just knew of a bad seed.
Hell no!!! My cat beats the neighbours' lab's ass everytime!!!!!!!

Proof:

(not my neighbours' dog, but just some stray (for practice))

http://www.bkanal.ch/blog/uploads/funnyfriday_cat_kicking_dog.jpg

Quinn
06-10-2007, 05:00 AM
irish setter?

COSIGN (in caps no less). If there was ever a breed whose members were automatically born retarded, this is the one. One celled organisms are smarter.

I also saw someone mentioned Labradors. I have to respectfully disagree. As a breed, they're extremely smart, awesome with children, and probably the easiest dog to train on the planet.

-Quinn

4star4
06-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey tsntx,
I love to pic of Jazmyn, but understadably, I'm a little bit partial to Jack Russels. I have one too, her name is Katie. She's the smartest dog I've ever had. I grew up on a cattle farm and we always had Australian Blue Heelers. Great cattle dogs, but they were outside dogs. After college, I got Katie as a puppie. She is so much different than the other dogs I grew up with. Katie kisses me everyday when I get home, and I actually let her! That was never allowed with my farm dogs growing up. I always introduce my friends to Katie as my "pet tounge with a dog attached to it." Ok, hope you're having a wonderful weekend, and say "bark" to jazmyn!

tsntx
06-10-2007, 01:02 PM
^^ lol thanx 4star... i love jack russels... shes the first ive owned personally but my ex had one and when i lived w/ his family for awhile i got to see what one was like... very affectionate and loveable she sleeps on her back under my arm like a teddy bear and stays there all night... shes one of the 5 best things thats happened in my life for sure.

tsntx
06-10-2007, 01:04 PM
and you should post some pics of katie as well 4star

Chica
06-10-2007, 01:14 PM
heres my albino jack russell cross staffordshire bull terrier.. probably two of the most agressive dogs made into one, that's the softest dog ever lol, he's not too fond of other dogs or birds, he even killed my budgie a few years ago :(

when someone knocks on the door he barks, and frightens people, but when he sees the person he loves em lol

werwt22
06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
NOOOOOOOO....The basenji has been one of my fav dogs since childhood. I've been a fan of the bigger dogs I've found out. Had a Black Lab, Doberman, Pit, and a German Sheppard.

whatsupwithat
06-10-2007, 07:36 PM
the smartest dogs are german shepards and malinois in my opinion.

Shepards are amazingly intelligent. My dog, Shine, who died one year ago on June 22nd, was brilliant.

Once, when I had first adopted her, I was away from home for about 12 hours, couldn't get back. I finally get home and she had peed on the carpet. Here's the best part. She had gone into the bathroom, taken a towel off of the shelf, brought it out, and placed it over the pee. I miss her sooo much!

DJ_Asia
06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
I own a bullmastif.The breed was created eons ago by crossing a male bulldog to a female mastiff.Both the English Mastiff and Bullgog are on that list,and I can attest that the bullmastiff is as dumb as they come...his real name is Vader but I call him "Knuckles" as in "knucklehead"...damn is he dumb.

However I used to own an Italian Mastiff AKA Cane Corso,big black protective alpha breed and he was the smartest dog I ever knew.

Jericho
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
However I used to own an Italian Mastiff AKA Cane Corso,big black protective alpha breed and he was the smartest dog I ever knew.

That must have took some looking after [execise and the like].
Do you ever see any Thai Ridgebacks out where you are? If so, what do you think of them, worth the effort?