PDA

View Full Version : Chivalry...........................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Found this in an article on a website and figured I'd see how much of a response it got on here, it's long so go get some caffeine...............

Chivalry Rule #1: Should I hold the door for a woman?
While writing this article, I read several articles by women who said that they didn't want men holding doors for them because they have a vagina. I roll my eyes at the thought of that. Why can't you hold the door for a woman?

It's not like it's too heavy, and if she's cute, you can take a quick peek at her form. No seriously, I hold doors daily for men and women, especially if I'm with a big party of people or if one is behind me. To me, it is polite. If the guy or lady is close in distance, letting the door slam in his or her face is tacky and inconsiderate. Holding the door is like handing someone the pepper on the table. Just a subtle show of manners. You know they'll need to get in the door so why not make them feel welcome?

Chivalry Rule #2: Should I pull out her chair?

I never really understood the purpose of holding out a chair for a woman. With the door, both of you are going into it. But both of you are not going to sit in the same seat so why are you pulling hers out? She's grown. She can pull out her own chair. I'm not even big on a man waiting until I sit down so he can sit down. Just sit down. There's no timed competition on who squats first.

Chivalry Rule #3: Should I walk her to her door?

Whenever I drop someone off at their place, I always make sure that they get into their home safely. If a porch light doesn't come on or a door doesn't open to let that person in or unlocked, I'm not budging. I can understand a guy wanting to make sure his lady friend gets to the door, as a safety precaution, especially after being a firsthand witness at a woman walking down the street on her way home and two men jumping out of the bushes to snatch her purse. During the day, maybe it's not as important, but at night when safety is a little more questionable, I say go for it. Walk her to the door. If she's a winner, she'll run to her front window to watch you get into your car and make sure you got back there safely.

Chivalry Rule #4: Should I walk on the outside of the street and let her walk on the inside?

I remember walking down the street in high school with an elementary school friend of mine, and he refused to let me walk on the outside of the street. I asked him why and he explained that his mother told him that women are supposed to walk on the inside. He didn't know why but he'd followed this belief all of his life. I just found it odd, tried to dart around him, and he just about clothes-lined me to get me back to the inner side. Then, my grandfather yelled at me about the same thing and moved me to the inside of the street one day when he and I were taking a walk. It wasn't until I took a British Literature course in college that I found out the origin of this act. According to some book I read, since people threw their trash out of the windows, sometimes the trash could hit the person on the outside of the street. So to avoid trash being thrown onto women, men always walked on the outside. Although I don't understand why people didn't look out the window before they started throwing trash or why a man would voluntarily have trash thrown on him, it makes me no difference. I still shrug at the idea of it but I can walk either way.

Chivalry Rule #5: Should I pay for each date?
Now here's where I start cheering for the women in my family who believe in old-fashioned views. It could possibly have something to do with my ridiculous credit card bill or maybe being slightly old fashioned myself.

I absolutely would not go on a first date with a guy if I had to pay. I once went out with a guy who did not inform me our date was dutch. As soon as he bought his food and sat down, I left him sitting at the restaurant alone two minutes later. It's usually the guy who asks the woman out on a date and, in my opinion, if you ask someone to accompany you to somewhere that they may not have necessarily gone before to do something they may not have necessarily done before, it should be your treat. You're asking them for their time. Now after that first date, then I think whomever asked who out should pay or split it. If a woman is going out with an old-fashioned guy who believes in chivalry, I guess it's okay to let him pay all the time but I always wonder when he'll get tired of that. If I were a man, I know I would, especially if all of her dates are to expensive places. But I've treated guys out on dates, especially on birthdays. For the life of me, I don't understand why a man has to pay for a date on his birthday. That's his special day. Same goes for Valentine's Day. He's in that relationship just like you are. Split the tab. You're equal in the relationship.

Chivalry Rule #6: Should I help her with heavy items or bringing in multiple items like groceries?

I think this one should be obvious. If you're going to eat the food in those bags, get off your butt and help bring them in. If you're an equal part of the household, you should be willing to help bring in the groceries, especially if some of them were bought with your money. Make sure she got something good! And I definitely think men should help women with items that are obviously too heavy for them to pick up. Let's face it-most men are physically stronger than women. I see a guy helping a woman with a heavy item as no different than a woman helping a small child (girl or boy) who she knows can't lift something. Why should one person struggle with something just to prove a point when another person can easily do it?

Chivalry Rule #7: Should I give her my jacket if she is cold even though I may be chilly too?

The next time you leave the house, I want you to look at how the average couple is dressed. Many times women wear thinner or fancier clothes than the guy. Even if they're on a formal date, he's got a suit jacket on but she may have a backless, sleeveless dress on. While he's wearing close-toed dress shoes, she's probably wearing heels and sometimes with her toes or ankles out. By default, she probably would get chillier than the guy. Should he give her his coat? If he's not really cold, then why not? If he is also cold, I'd suggest going somewhere neutral where you two can be comfortable. But here's a secret, guys, sometimes the woman is not cold. She just wants to smell your cologne on her clothes or be near something close to you without groping you to death. Take it as a compliment if she asks for your jacket.

tsntx
06-09-2007, 08:29 AM
if you can... hold it for anyone... male or female... its just plain nice... do it in front of me... and ill be impressed... i open and hold doors for women all the time... does that make me "butch" a "man" or just plain and simple "nice"

personally i dont really like a guy pulling out my chair... mostly bc it causes others to take notice and i dont like any extra attn. i attract enough w/ the twins stuffed in my top.... however... if were at a big event where im wearing a gown and youre wearing a suit/ tux... then yes... please pull my chair out.

if you dont... at least make sure im inside before you drive off.

Chivalry Rule #4: Should I walk on the outside of the street and let her walk on the inside?

YES!

definately not. but if you asked her out... you should at least offer.

Chivalry Rule #6: Should I help her with heavy items or bringing in multiple items like groceries?

yeah? it always makes me upset when i just went to the grocery store and paid for items YOU WILL use, the least you could do is help carry them in and help put them away.

Chivalry Rule #7: Should I give her my jacket if she is cold even though I may be chilly too?

YES! she didnt wear that cute lil dress to make every other guy in the room hot... she wore it to keep hot thoughts in youre head as she wears your jacket... and we dont take our own jackets bc we want to see if youll step up and give us yours.

blckhaze
06-09-2007, 08:36 AM
As Dave Chappelle once said
"Chivalry is dead. And women killed it!!!"

IMO this statemant is 66% true. More so in the Black and Latino communities. Alot of women feel that being suportive means being subserviant. Personally, i dont want a woman who'll do ANYTHING i say regardless of the consequenses, I want a lady who if something happens to me she can survive until I'm able to do my job as a man. Part of relationships is being able to disagree and find common ground in order to benift both parties.

the other 33% is basically guys ridiculing other guys when they do nice things for women, when they know damn well if they had their special someone they'd do all the same things if not more. i'll bust my boys chops everyonce in a while, but I'm not gonna stop my man from doing what he wants for his girl, and most of my guy friends do the same.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-09-2007, 08:44 AM
[i]Chivalry Rule #1: Should I hold the door for a woman?
Absolutely! That's just being a gentleman. Brownie points if I might add. ;)

Yes (See no.1 for brownie points).

Why ofcourse! You wouldnt know if she intends to invite you in if you dont walk her to her door now would you? LOL

Chivalry Rule #4: Should I walk on the outside of the street and let herwalk on the inside?
Naturally, It's alot better if you got hit by a car instead of her because then she'll totally dig you for that simple bravery act of trying to be protective of her.

The rule is: If you asked her out then it's your treat! Hehe ;)

Women want men who are helpful. Those guns arent just for display. So use them to help her carry heavy groceries. Afterall, she might just one day invite you over to sample her cookings. ;)

Well, could you really afford not to?!? LOL Or see her freezing her ass off when she did her best to try and look so sexy for ya? ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

SkyTwo
06-09-2007, 09:16 AM
if you can... hold it for anyone... male or female... its just plain nice... do it in front of me... and ill be impressed... i open and hold doors for women all the time... does that make me "butch" a "man" or just plain and simple "nice"

personally i dont really like a guy pulling out my chair... mostly bc it causes others to take notice and i dont like any extra attn. i attract enough w/ the twins stuffed in my top.... however... if were at a big event where im wearing a gown and youre wearing a suit/ tux... then yes... please pull my chair out.

YES!

yeah? it always makes me upset when i just went to the grocery store and paid for items YOU WILL use, the least you could do is help carry them in and help put them away.

YES! she didnt wear that cute lil dress to make every other guy in the room hot... she wore it to keep hot thoughts in youre head as she wears your jacket... and we dont take our own jackets bc we want to see if youll step up and give us yours.

Now those are reasonable explanations for why I do all those things. It's good to know that I've been doing them for all the right reasons. Thanks, Hot Stuff. Oops... I mean Ma'am. :oops:

tsntx
06-09-2007, 09:19 AM
np

SkyTwo
06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
np

Wait... now I'm all paranoid. Does that mean neurotic psychiatrists? Norwegian poledancers? Nebbishy poets? Naive politicians? Narcoleptic pilots?

Somebody please help!!!

tsntx
06-09-2007, 09:28 AM
:google

SkyTwo
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Oy! Someday they'll find a way to make sarcasm work online. Until then..... Mehhhh.

peggygee
06-09-2007, 07:53 PM

YES!

^ What she said. ^

LG
06-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Just looking at Hara's post...I've got to say...

I got them all right! I got them all right! :peanutbutter Do I get a goodnight kiss? :D

Girls, if you were cold and needed my jacket I'd be willing to freeze my ass off for you. And yes, I do hold the door for everyone (although one girl I liked told me it annoyed her). Shows you can't please everyone :shrug

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Going to take this time to say what some folks really wanted to say but were too punk to say........

FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!! Fuckin doors aint like they use to be. We're talking high tensile industrial grade steel sheets welded together with a hydraulic hinge above in case someone needs to permanently leave that door open i.e. moving storage boxes............ I see put that shit in the lock position and tell that dame when she wants to come in to pull it hard so it closes, she'll be aight.

FOR WHAT?!? So she can look at you and say some shit like "you better not pull it out at the last minute........... Let her plop her badonka donk in her own chair, after all she needs practice for plopping it on your dick later........

THAT'S WHAT THE DOORMAN IS FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me get this straight, you want me to put my car on valet, leave the engine running, and walk you to the door? Bitch you went out with me, I've already asserted my desire for the pussy, walk yourself to the door, I'll wait til you get in. ;)

THE WAY THESE MUHFUCKAS DRIVE?!?!?!?!?!?!???? Heffa you're gonna get hit anyway, if not by the vehicle by my blood & bones bouncing off that bad driver's front grille.

DEPENDS, DID SHE GIVE YOU THE PUSSY YET?!? If she did yeah you owe her at least 10 paid for meals, 15 if it was good, 20 if it was earth moving. But if she gives you some bullshit about "let's see where this goes" she aint giving you no pussy, so yeah go dutch...............

THOSE AIN'T MY GROCERIES BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did NOT ask you to buy that Summer's Eve, that skin bleach, those tampons, or that collection of extra large vegetables YOU KNOW you ain't gonna eat. Carry them in ya damn self I'll open the trunk or get that heavy ass front door mentioned above.

ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?!? Chick has 4 closets, 1 of them dedicated to outerwear and she needs my Armani jacket?!? Go grab that short fur bitch and be quick about it..........

Nuff Said
Chivalry.......................gotta love it
JWBL™

hwbs
06-09-2007, 08:40 PM
i think its dead cause girls expect it and arent thankful when guys do those nice things 4 the girls....

mph
06-09-2007, 09:06 PM
i think its dead cause girls expect it and arent thankful when guys do those nice things 4 the girls....An excellent point: Is it still chivalry when it's expected? At that point, I think it's just being polite.

Personally, I'm always make it a point to be chivalrous to women, no matter what. Holding doors, pulling out chairs, and, yes, even paying for dates. All that good stuff.

I digress, however... It doesn't really seem worth it these days.

LG
06-10-2007, 01:58 AM
i think its dead cause girls expect it and arent thankful when guys do those nice things 4 the girls....

Often true, sadly. But I don't think about it as chivalry, I simply consider it good manners. I don't don't those things just to get laid, I do them because that's the kind of person I am. Sometimes I do get laid, sometimes I don't. It's not a part of my strategy but a part of my character. I've come to a point where I've decided that I don't have the time for a girl who doesn't like who I am

blckhaze
06-10-2007, 04:29 AM
ROFLMAO @ JWBL
classic

mph
06-10-2007, 04:33 AM

Often true, sadly. But I don't think about it as chivalry, I simply consider it good manners. I don't don't those things just to get laid, I do them because that's the kind of person I am. Sometimes I do get laid, sometimes I don't. It's not a part of my strategy but a part of my character. I've come to a point where I've decided that I don't have the time for a girl who doesn't like who I amHere, here.

The only difference between you and I, LG, is that I do it and I never get laid. lol

I'm approaching the five year and eight month mark. :(

blckhaze
06-10-2007, 04:35 AM

Often true, sadly. But I don't think about it as chivalry, I simply consider it good manners. I don't don't those things just to get laid, I do them because that's the kind of person I am. Sometimes I do get laid, sometimes I don't. It's not a part of my strategy but a part of my character. I've come to a point where I've decided that I don't have the time for a girl who doesn't like who I amHere, here.

The only difference between you and I, LG, is that I do it and I never get laid. lol

dude thats a hell of a slump. we need to start a collection for ya.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Just looking at Hara's post...I've got to say...

I got them all right! I got them all right! :peanutbutter Do I get a goodnight kiss? :D

Girls, if you were cold and needed my jacket I'd be willing to freeze my ass off for you. And yes, I do hold the door for everyone (although one girl I liked told me it annoyed her). Shows you can't please everyone :shrug

LOL Oh, and I was almost going to give you a goodnight kiss LG..
until you mentioned some girl you liked? LOL :lol:

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

mph
06-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Here, here.

dude thats a hell of a slump. we need to start a collection for ya.
lol

I've survived this long. I'll survive until November. (I vowed if I hit six years, I'd self-immolate out in the middle of I-95. lol :p)

LG
06-10-2007, 12:04 PM
LOL Oh, and I was almost going to give you a goodnight kiss LG..
until you mentioned some girl you liked? LOL :lol:

;)

~Kisses.

HTG
:D Oh that's an old story and it never worked out- she was sweet but also unavailable. I'm single now, anyway. Now how about that kiss? :wink:

Oh and mph, sorry to hear that, but you'll probably make a girl happy one day and prove to be a great husband. Why is it that girls marry the nice guys only after they've been around with all the bastards?

TJ347
06-10-2007, 12:31 PM

I held the door for a woman a few weeks ago at a 7-Eleven, only to have her tell me in a loud voice that she wasn't "an old lady or some damned cripple" and could open her own doors, causing a scene unnecessarily. I waited around purposely after getting what I'd come for, and then, just as she had paid for her stuff and turned to head out, went for the door, letting it go right in her face. As I got in my car, I looked back to see her still standing there, glaring at me. I smiled at her and winked as I pulled out. There seem to be too few ladies left, at least where I live, for there to be so many gentlemen.

Azanti
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
What tsntx said, pretty much saved me a massive post there.