PDA

View Full Version : Full Metal Jacket.........................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-08-2007, 04:36 AM
I'm probably the only one that thinks this but fuck it

I think Full Metal Jacket is the best Kubrick movie ever............

Quite possibly the best war movie ever, but you never know what will appear once Bush is finally out of office................... 592 days left as of this thread btw.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
06-08-2007, 04:40 AM
I like Kubrick as well as his Eyes Wide Shut movie with Tom and Nicole. It's sooo New York and very "Fetish" underground world. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

ARMANIXXX
06-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Full Metal Jacket was real good.

kukm4
06-08-2007, 04:46 AM
Dunno about best ever, but def. like it.
R Lee Ermey is the best.

Oli
06-08-2007, 04:57 AM
I thought Full Metal Jacket was great, really caught the pathos of that time, but I wouldn't put it in my top 3 Kubrick movies
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory

whatsupwithat
06-08-2007, 04:57 AM
I actually own the script. Love that movie. It got buried by less deserving films at the box office. Best he did? Mmmm, don't know about that...

Bigguy
06-08-2007, 04:58 AM
It's one of those movies I can watch over and over again.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-08-2007, 05:03 AM
I thought Full Metal Jacket was great, really caught the pathos of that time, but I wouldn't put it in my top 3 Kubrick movies
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory

We all have our own opinions which is why I made that statement initially, but 2001? IMO hell no

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-08-2007, 05:16 AM
We all have our own opinions which is why I made that statement initially, but 2001? IMO hell no

C'mon, no love for that nearly silent opening half hour?

lol, none at all

back in the 80's when I 1st saw it on HBO I was fascinated by it, then I watched it a few months ago, and just looked at how incredibly stupid it seemed to me

trannybanger
06-08-2007, 05:16 AM
I don't know... it is pretty friggin good. But I also am a longtime fan of A Clockwork Orange

Coroner
06-08-2007, 05:17 AM

Quite possibly the best war movie ever, but you never know what will appear once Bush is finally out of office................... 592 days left as of this thread btw.

Well, itīs Kubrickīs most commercial movie but still full of art. Itīs not an anti-war movie like most others, itīs a WAR MOVIE and thatīs why I like it because itīs real. Thereīs no message in it and that makes the movie being very special. But, itīs for sure not Kubrickīs best movie. 2001 is probably his greatest work followed by Clockwork Orange, Paths of Glory, The Killing and Killerīs Kiss. I can understand why you find Full Metal Jacket might be his bes movie ever because the movieīs quite simple: thereīs nothing to understand, itīs all about what you see and hear.

Btw, FMJ is also not the best war movie ever 8)

..... and I yeah, I love this movie.

Realgirls4me
06-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Duplicate post. Sorry.

Realgirls4me
06-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Full Metal Jacket is ahead on this list also, but my personal favorite as far as war movies go has to be Platoon.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/war

:)

tonkatoy
06-08-2007, 05:25 AM
I love Full Metal Jacket. I put it in and watch the first part where they are going through boot camp, and it really takes me back, reminds me of college, i find it relaxing.

tsntx
06-08-2007, 05:29 AM
johnny you would like FMJ youre the type of guy that would fuck another guy, or tranny, in the ass and not have the god damn common courtesy to give a reach around.

OOH-RAH![/b]

dc_guy_75
06-08-2007, 05:49 AM

You think Full Metal Jacket its the best Kubrick film? Vs Clockwork Orange or 2001 or The Shining or Strangelove?

Any movie with Matthew Modine, by definition, is awful.

Thinking that Full Metal Jecket was the best Kubrick film is like thinking GW is an okay president.

TomSelis
06-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Eyes Wide Shut....very underrated movie.

FMJ: Pyle!!! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?! WHAT..... THE....... FUCK...... IS THAT!?! IS THAT A JELLY DONUT!?!?!?

tsntx
06-08-2007, 05:56 AM
eyes wide shut was horrible... it was so bad he died watching a screening of it! lmao

dc_guy_75
06-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Band of Brothers... followed by Platoon...

But its all shit, I doubt anyone can comprehend combat without being there...

tonkatoy
06-08-2007, 06:03 AM
I liked 'sink the bismark' and '30 seconds over tokyo'

They should do a movie about the naval battles off of Guadalcanal.

The Bridges of Toko Ri was good too.

hwbs
06-08-2007, 06:07 AM
i just watch it up to the end of boot camp....

tonkatoy
06-08-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the two Films from Clint Eastwood about the battle of Iwo Jima. One movie will have the American perspective and the other will have the Japanese side.

are you stuck in a time warp? Those movies have been out for quite a while...... they were both up for oscars for last year.

Realgirls4me
06-08-2007, 06:21 AM
As a kid in the 60s, I remember seeing a movie set in war where the protagonist is in charge of transporting a bunch of Asian kids on a bus to some point of sanctuary (a border or camp?). Does that ring a bell to any of you? I remember one of the kids eating it in a river just before they arrive to their destination.

I don't know any of the artists. Sorry.

justatransgirl
06-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Any of yaall ever been to war?

Just curious.
TS Jamie
1st of the 505, 82nd Airborne

tonkatoy
06-08-2007, 06:30 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing the two Films from Clint Eastwood about the battle of Iwo Jima. One movie will have the American perspective and the other will have the Japanese side.

are you stuck in a time warp? Those movies have been out for quite a while...... they were both up for oscars for last year.

I know they've been out but that doesn't mean that i have seen them yet.I saw the american one, i haven't seen the other yet, but i want to. Run Silent Run Deep was good too.

Wolfcap
06-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Damn, makes me wanna buy the band of brothers dvd set now. Once I got hooked, i stayed up late like 3 nights in a row watching on demand until I finished it. Great work!

tsntx
06-08-2007, 07:06 AM

I agree, the Boot camp scenes were the best part of the movie. BTW the guy who played the Marine Drill instructor I was very realistic because he really was in the military. He said all of the same things my ARMY Drill sergeant use to say in a very convincing manner.

while buying shiat on ebay i found this...

enjoy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taking-PT-R-Lee-Ermey-12-Sideshow_W0QQitemZ300086042301QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2 622QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

mustang
06-08-2007, 07:08 AM

I agree, the Boot camp scenes were the best part of the movie. BTW the guy who played the Marine Drill instructor I was very realistic because he really was in the military. He said all of the same things my ARMY Drill sergeant use to say in a very convincing manner.

while buying shiat on ebay i found this...

are you always on ebay???? How big is your doll collection now anyway???

enjoy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taking-PT-R-Lee-Ermey-12-Sideshow_W0QQitemZ300086042301QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2 622QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

tsntx
06-08-2007, 07:11 AM
lol you guys gotta learn how to quote it took me awhile to see a msg inside my msg... lol

its not huge i only collect certain types of barbies i prob have 40 ... and display about 20

used to have a lot more but have lost a lot due to moving and issues w/ my ex.

mustang
06-08-2007, 07:15 AM
lol you guys gotta learn how to quote it took me awhile to see a msg inside my msg... lol

its not huge i only collect certain types of barbies i prob have 40 ... and display about 20

Is that better??? Good.......you don't want one of those wierdo "full room" collections...lol.

tonkatoy
06-08-2007, 07:16 AM
A friend gave me a copy of Matthew Modine's diary that he kept while they shot the movie. It is interesting, but he is pretty whiny. He said R Lee Ermey, or as my ex called him, 'early army' , did not get the concept of acting when it came to the application of physical force. Also he and Pyle, who was that guy, ..........um, Vincent D'Onofrio, got into fights, actaully physically got into it, and spent most of the time not speaking to each other.

The beginning of the movie reminds me of my knob year at The Citadel, those were the days.

tsntx
06-08-2007, 07:19 AM
lol no i deff dont... i have a "sun room", which is basically an enclosed patio/balcony in my townhouse and i have these cool ikea shelves all along the walls in various places to keep each "theme" together... lol ... y u guys always gotta point out my nerdy side?

stillies77
06-08-2007, 07:27 AM
im a big fan of clockwork orange myself

PS Jen i think you and I are the two biggest dorks on here...and i am so glad you are back...without you i am the lone dork and that cant happen...we are a team damn you!

mbf
06-08-2007, 09:12 AM
full metal jacket was "hardcore, man, fucking hardcore"

once read an interview with kubrick saying the drill instructor in that movie was firstly hired as a consultant, but then he was sooo good, he kept him in the original movie lol

as to decide wich kubrick movie was the greatest - dont attempt to do it. because, as with Dr. Strangelove - just brilliant how a over 40 yrs old movie STILL seems like a documentary of the current political situation in the US.

@2001: for me one of the greatest sci fi flix of all time. the ONLY one i remember where outer space IS actually silent. and no damn "beep beep" noises whenever a computer is beeing operated.

and yeah, Eyes wide shut is underrated i htink. nicole kidman was sexy as hell in that one.

Willie Escalade
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
It's one of those movies I can watch over and over again.
Same here, my friend.

chefmike
06-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I haven't read this entire thread, but I wanted to say that you film noir fans should check out Kubrick's 'The Killing.'

I think that 'Full Metal Jacket' is a great Nam film, but I would rank it #3, with 'Platoon' #2 and 'Apocalypse Now' #1...

CORVETTEDUDE
06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
There are some very entertaining flix about war. Without placing one above another, Apocolypse Now, Band of Brothers, FMJ, Platoon, The Longest Day. All are strictly entertainment, nothing close to real war. Were they an actual representation of the real thing, maybe we wouldn't have any more of them. Those of you(no disrespect intended) that have never been to war, paid those of us who did, very little to do a very unspeakable thing. I was proud to serve but, wish I didn't have to. It keeps me fucked up.

Tail Gunner
06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
That movie is so good on many different levels. The bootcamp scenes at the start are just filled with classic one liners and yet still held it's level of intensity, not too big on the middle part or the second act as we call it in show biz, but the final scene with that female sniper slowly picking off everyone in the bombed out city was so intense in the theatre. I saw that at the Dome in LA not too long ago and it reminded me of just how amazing this film is

Mugai_hentaisha
06-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Loved FMJ

I always was a fan of Heartbreak Ridge

As for Apocalypse Now at first I hated it but as I grew older I have softened my attitude towards it it isn't so bad now

As for Band of Brothers
Best so far

iloveshemales77
06-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Dunno if it ever made it to the US, but I think "Das Boot" the U boat film by Wolfgang Petersen in the 80s deserves an honourable mention. I spoke about it with a guy who was in the navy during WW2. He said it captured the mind numbing tedium and misery on board a war ship, intersperced with short bouts of sheer, unadulterated terror. Some of the acting is a bit hammy but overall it set standards of "realism" in a docutainemnet kind of way which band of brothers took further.

iloveshemales77
06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
ohh, and it had a line which became almost as famous as the "reach around" line in FMJ.

two seamen in their bunks idly chatting

"Hey buddy, you got hairs in you nostrils?"
"Uhhm yea why?"
"Well, I've got hairs in my arse, why don't we tie them together and have some fun"

(my translation)

trish
06-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Kubrick made sooo many good movies
(clockwork orange, barry lyndon, dr. strangelove etc) but my personal favorite is still 2001.

TJT
06-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I Remember reading the book it was based on,The Short-timers,nearly 30 years ago. I didn't know FMJ was based on it when I saw it? I was sitting in the theater thinking,"This is damned familiar?" Took me a third of the movie to realize the movie was based on that book.

chefmike
06-09-2007, 02:37 AM
As for Apocalypse Now at first I hated it but as I grew older I have softened my attitude towards it it isn't so bad now

I appreciated the movie once i understood that it was meant to be a re-telling of the "Heart Of Darkness" story rather than a realistic depiction of a Special Operation in the Vietnam war.

FMJ was definitely a realistic Boot Camp movie. (Perhaps not the shooting of the DI at the end) I didn't think much of the war part of the movie.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I wanted to say that you film noir fans should check out Kubrick's 'The Killing.

If you mean that old movie about the robbery with Sterling Hayden, I've seen it on TCM, wasn't a bad flick. Film noir was before my time but i like to watch old stuff to get an idea of the past. I'm guessing that noir films were considered cutting edge for their time. (Though i know i could never get a fully complete picture from a movie)

Film noir was, and will always be, a cutting edge genre...and noir hasn't gone away by any means...you can call it neo-noir or whatever, but a true noir film is always cutting edge IMO...but then again I don't do the comic-book movies, or the 'Matrix' type fluff...

tonkatoy
06-09-2007, 02:48 AM
How can you shoot women,......and children?

Easy, ya just don't lead em as much

Nooksack
06-09-2007, 03:46 AM
FMJ is his best IMHO, but it's also just one of my favorite movies, period.

If I were to rate his top movies I'd say:
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange (masterful adaptation and just as twisted as the book)
The Shining (another favorite)
Eyes Wide Shut (I don't actually like the movie at all, but I think it is a good piece of cult film)

arnie666
06-09-2007, 03:56 AM
FMJ total classic film. Hartman reminded me of an RSM I heard about who jailed some Jelly babies because he didn't like the taste. There was actually a cell in the guard room with a packer of jelly babies in it :D

We gave a bloke who turned up for basic with us the nickname pyle because the wanker turned up on day 1 in full webbing and a para reg tattooed on his arm. I couldn't believe the corporals lets him stay like as having the tattoo without earning it gets you noticed putting it nicely.

He tried to top himself halfway though never saw him after that.

arnie666
06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
We gave a bloke who turned up for basic with us the nickname pyle because the wanker turned up on day 1 in full webbing and a para reg tattooed on his arm. I couldn't believe the corporals lets him stay like as having the tattoo without earning it gets you noticed putting it nicely.

Funny, we had a Pyle in our Platoon too, he kept screwing up and causing the whole platoon to pay the price with many push ups and other unpleasant physical activities. One day about 6 of us cornered him in the Barracks with spray cans and lit them like blow torches using matches. He was in tears and fell for it but we were never really going to burn him. Of course the fire alarm went off and the Sergeants came to investigate but poor Williams was too scared shitless to report us........funny thing was that he stopped screwing up after that and got his act together.

He tried to top himself halfway though never saw him after that.

Does that mean he attempted suicide?

Yes tried to hang himself.... and the best bit was he didn't tell his mum he had been kicked out for being a loony and his mum phoned up the platoon commander begging that she didn't want her brave boy sent to Afghan after pass out! :D

randomlys
06-11-2007, 03:13 AM
FWIW, the movie is based on several books. Check out 'Dispatches': it's a book based on real-life accounts of things experienced by the reporters over there at the time. Interestingly enough, the scene where the door gunner is asked "how do you shoot them... women, children?" and responds with "easy, you just don't lead them as much" is right out of that book.

I Remember reading the book it was based on,The Short-timers,nearly 30 years ago. I didn't know FMJ was based on it when I saw it? I was sitting in the theater thinking,"This is damned familiar?" Took me a third of the movie to realize the movie was based on that book.

Coroner
06-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Most Kubrick movies based on books if not all.

john69
06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Very good movie!!!

Silcc69
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
That movie was bad ass. I aw it a a kid along with Hamburger Hill. Another bad ass movie.