PDA

View Full Version : So BSG only gets 4 seasons

Legend
06-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Why does it seem like sci fi shows are getting the short end of the stick,

Carnivale=Probably the biggest cancelation that pissed me off it was only given 24 episodes hbo left alot of stuff unanswered.

Firefly=Only 14 episodes,that was a huge mistake because they came back with a movie titled serenity it bombed but the series should have never been cancelled.

Star Trek: Enterprise=four seasons and 98 episodes normally star trek series last up to 8 seasons but enterprise was canceled early.

Night Stalker=The original was better but come on it deserved more then 10 episodes.

Threshold=Another x-files type show that was pretty good to me but abc canceled after 13 episodes.

Farscape=This was a show that was getting good ratings for sci fi but they cancelled it for some reason probably cost but the fans let scifi know how they felt by signing a online petition and thus they came back with a mini series titled:the peace keeper wars.

Quantum Leap=Cancelled after 95 episodes and to make things worse the guy never leaped home,there are rumors of a movie in the future.

It just makes you wonder how other series can go past their prime and get a extra season that they could have went without,buffy could have done without a season 6,the sopranos could have went away without that last season and the vito storyline BLAH.

I have a feeling they are going to pull a farscape and come back with a BSG miniseries but who knows everything might be answered in the upcoming season.

taniatv
06-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Got the feeling after Serenity that we might be getting another season of Firefly with River as the pilot! Not seen anything though.

Agree about Carnivale and Threshold both had a lot of story in them.

Biggest disappointment for me has to be Enterprise it was worth at least two more seasons.
Although I believe hiring Scott Bakula for Archer the captains role was a mistake because he was immediately typecast with Quantum Leap. But he did do an excellent job and was worth the role, I only think people already judged him and had him down because they loved or hated QL.
Enterprise is one of my fave ST series and the possibilities it had were endless.
Oh and better credits/song could have helped, they have to be the worse out of all the ST genre.

Nooksack
06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
BSG is a pretty finite timeline. I'm upset that it's only 4 seasons, but it's also been close to wrapping up since about 4 episodes left in season 3. Is it upsetting? Yes. Is it THAT unexpected? No. It's also not broadcast on a major channel and it a ridiculously expensive show to produce for a smaller cable channel like Sci-fi. Much like Farscape, while the shows bring in viewers, they also pretty much reduce the profit margins by consuming the profits of the lesser shows in their production costs.

I hate it, but that's business.

BlackAdder
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
BSG was only ever billed as a mini-series...I remember the first hype commercials. I dont think anyone should be surpised at the 4 season length.

Scifi sucks in general though..I mean cmon...*I* could write better movies then the drek they play on saturdays.....Snow Spiders.....SNOW SPIDERS>.....

ugh..

Legend
06-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Got the feeling after Serenity that we might be getting another season of Firefly with River as the pilot! Not seen anything though.

Agree about Carnivale and Threshold both had a lot of story in them.

Biggest disappointment for me has to be Enterprise it was worth at least two more seasons.
Although I believe hiring Scott Bakula for Archer the captains role was a mistake because he was immediately typecast with Quantum Leap. But he did do an excellent job and was worth the role, I only think people already judged him and had him down because they loved or hated QL.
Enterprise is one of my fave ST series and the possibilities it had were endless.
Oh and better credits/song could have helped, they have to be the worse out of all the ST genre.

I just think some of the storylines in enterprise were boring and well we have seen some of them in other trek series like the mirror universe,i just think the storylines were it's downfall.

Legend
06-07-2007, 04:30 PM
BSG was only ever billed as a mini-series...I remember the first hype commercials. I dont think anyone should be surpised at the 4 season length.

Scifi sucks in general though..I mean cmon...*I* could write better movies then the drek they play on saturdays.....Snow Spiders.....SNOW SPIDERS>.....

ugh..

Come on you didn't watch placid lake 2 LOL!

Quinn
06-07-2007, 04:52 PM
LMAO..... Yeah, BlackAdder, I saw the ad for "Snow Spiders" too. Sci-Fi Channel reallly does make some of the worst fucking movies, even by the standards of a science fiction fan who usually likes campy movies. They had one movie with pterodactyls and Coolio in it. Coolio??????? WTF!!!!! Three words: worst actor ever.

-Quinnn

Cyclops
06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
"Star Trek: Enterprise=four seasons and 98 episodes normally star trek series last up to 8 seasons but enterprise was canceled early."

if you are going to make a statement at least get your facts right

no Star Trek series ever went 8 seasons

star trek - 3 seasons
next generation- 7 seasons
deep space 9 - 7 seasons
voyager- 7 seasons
enterprise- 4 seasons

the origional series was canceled after three years because of low ratings

the only reason that any of the other series exist is that TOS became very popular in syndication

it might be noted though ,that TNG was ended while ratings were very high ,and quite probably could have gone a few more seasons

the producers of the show ecided that they wanted to end it before the ratings did start to go down ,perhaps that was the reason for enterprise not being continued

xfiver
06-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Scott Bakula = instant death

Why does it seem like sci fi shows are getting the short end of the stick,

Star Trek: Enterprise=four seasons and 98 episodes normally star trek series last up to 8 seasons but enterprise was canceled early.

Quantum Leap=Cancelled after 95 episodes and to make things worse the guy never leaped home,there are rumors of a movie in the future.

PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!!!!

Kabuki
06-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Firefly was a really good show. Well written, and visually nice. I purchased the series on dvd last year. I was finally able to see the episodes that FOX never aired.

TomSelis
06-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Sci-Fi has a relatively small fanbase despite having well written storylines. Most people can't wrap their heads around it being sci-fi.

Don't forget my personal favorite, Space: Above and Beyond!

That show never had a chance.

TJ347
06-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Another show I loved on Sci-Fi was "Dead Like Me", which they re-ran after Showtime cancelled the show a year or so ago. I don't think they show it anymore on Sci-Fi, but it was a good show in my opinion, with a lot of possibilities.

Enterprise had a lot of possibilities too, but it was a tremendous disappointment in many ways. In some ways, the technology was too advanced, while in others too archaic, which always bothered me. And there were serious common sense errors: there's no shields as we know them from TOS, just "polarized" hull plating... but they have warp drive? The SIF fields needed to use warp drive safely would be infinitely harder to create than defensive shields would be... but I have now shown myself to be a fan who possesses all of the technical manuals, and will now shut the hell up. :oops:

Legend
06-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Another show I loved on Sci-Fi was "Dead Like Me", which they re-ran after Showtime cancelled the show a year or so ago. I don't think they show it anymore on Sci-Fi, but it was a good show in my opinion, with a lot of possibilities.

Enterprise had a lot of possibilities too, but it was a tremendous disappointment in many ways. In some ways, the technology was too advanced, while in others too archaic, which always bothered me. And there were serious common sense errors: there's no shields as we know them from TOS, just "polarized" hull plating... but they have warp drive? The SIF fields needed to use warp drive safely would be infinitely harder to create than defensive shields would be... but I have now shown myself to be a fan who possesses all of the technical manuals, and will now shut the hell up. :oops:

Your right it's like they did think any of that stuff before hand but another one of enterprises flaws was that too many episodes were centered around t'pol i'm not gonna deny she isn't hot but you didn't really get to know any other characters but her i guess the producers wanted her hotness to gain more ratings in which it didn't,being a fan of trek i want more substance in what i'm watching this was the same problem with voyager.

tonkatoy
06-08-2007, 06:07 AM
I also liked Firefly and Serenity. I hope they do more. While not Sci Fi, i wish Arrested Development was still on.

I would also like to see another Team America movie, best puppet sex i ever saw.

ds5929
06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Hmm, I missed the announcement about BSG. Can't say I'd surprised or terribly sad. It's an expensive show to produce,especially given it's niche audience. Knowing how many episodes are left should help the producers pace and plot the rest of the story. (Anyone notice how Lost regained it's focus and pacing when the producers and network agreed on an end date?) Going back a few years, Babylon 5 pretty well wrapped up it's storyline when they thought it was cancelled. When it got an 11th hour reprieve by going from broadcast to cable, the last season just kinda wandered around.
I always thought Enterprise was'nt nearly as bad as the Trekkie fanboys said-nor was it as good as it could and should have been. It just did'nt fit in with the ponderous existing canon of the franchise.
My personal ST series is DS9. Found Voyager unwatchable,and grew annoyed by TNG's endless self-satisfaction. (next to Wesley, Troi would've been my first pick for a suitless airlock drill).
Firefly was wonderful, and died too young. Was a bit disappointed with Serenity tho. It just did'nt work for me as well as the series did.
Threshold was'nt bad, but appearing in the same season as the dreadful Surface, and the vastly over-hyped Invasion it never stood a chance.
I'm pretty certain I say promos for some more episodes of Eureka on Sci-Fi. Anyone know it they're doing more episodes, or are these previously filmed ones that they just did'nt run during the series initial broadcast. It was a fun show.
Finally, are there any more terrifying words on all of cable than "A Sci-Fi Channel Original"?