PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop question(s)

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Would it be fair to say that Andre 3000 of Outkast is basically the group and Big Boi is the hip hop sidekick of the duo just like Left Eye was the hip hop sidekick to TLC?

LOCpunks
06-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Only now that Outkast is much more of a gimmick then they used to be. Big Boi used to be the pimp rapper, Andre used to be the real lyrical rapper. And then Stankonia came out. And then Andre just kind of got crazy weird and it more or less became his project. And it just got weirder and weirder.

Andre's the man though.

LG
06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Would it be fair to say that Andre 3000 of Outkast is basically the group and Big Boi is the hip hop sidekick of the duo just like Left Eye was the hip hop sidekick to TLC?

I think so. But if Andre's not complaining I'm sure as hell not going to...

If you listen to Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below, they actually basically do an album each on that. I prefer Andre 3000's The Love Below, but The Way You Move on Speakerboxxx was very, very cool.

That said, I haven't bought Idlewild so I don't know much about their more recent stuff.

tsntx
06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
who cares??? they both suck major fucking ass.... barf!!!!!

Nooksack
06-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow... that's a truly insightful opinion there... =P. As far as hip hop goes, they're a pretty ecclectic but popular group because they are different. I've been following Outkast since they were Dungeon Family before being their own group and releasing Southernplayalisticaddilacmusik and it's been cool watching them evolve. Idlewild shouldn't really be considered an album, in my opinion, simply because the majority of it applies to the film soundtrack.

There are a couple of good songs there, but that has been the recipe for many artists lately. Lots of songs, 3 or 4 ringers.

As to who is who in the group, I think that they both are still front men, but Andre 3000 was the one who really wanted to branch out with Idlewild. I wouldn't call Big Boi his hip hop sidekick, just that he's been in the background for their latest project. He has carried his own weight in everything BUT Idlewild, IMHO.

Jasadin
06-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I think they balance each other out.I think that Big Boi sort of anchors Andre from getting too far out there where they might lose alot of fans and Andre influences Big Boi creatively so he doesn't get stuck and stagnant in the standard everyday rapper dogma.Haven't seen Idlewild yet.

InHouston
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Hip Hop blows.

Mr_Choc69
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I think Andre 3000 has def put more into the group. Big Boi is starting to come up more and more. Some of his newer guest appearances on other peoples tracks have shown a tighter flow.

francisfkudrow
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Anybody remember MC Hammer's assistant--the guy whose sole job was to yell "Hammah!"? What was his name?

62des
06-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Hip Hop blows? You suck. They are rich while you're hating on them. I'd love to be in their position.

MonsieurValentine
06-07-2007, 07:44 PM
no, big boi is definitely an equal there by all means. it was actually big boi's southern drawl that first caught the ears of organized noise and la face records. to call big boi a sidekick is a very "white toast" thing to say.

biguy4tvtscd
06-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Hip Hop blows? You suck. They are rich while you're hating on them. I'd love to be in their position.
How about...it defies the laws of physics, and manages to both suck and blow at the same time?

Lets face facts, plenty of talentless hacks have gotten rich plying shitass music to a willing crowd of lemmings more interested in what the "cool people listen to" than the music itself. (same holds true for movies, books, and any other artistic medium you can name)

What it boils down to is this...when it comes to art, quantity does not always equate with quality.

trannybanger
06-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Oh shit people, don't even get me started on this.

I know these fellas, and I mean for real know them, and we are talking about some really talented creative guys. In school they were actually kind of geeks, especially Dre, but always tight and just gifted, and way into music. Southernplayalistic came out when they were 18, and back then people weren't putting out albums that young and if so they sure as hell weren't that good. They is total collaborative effort, both Big and Dre are vested fully and have grown and evolved individually in different directions and that is ok. We all get bored and change, so did they and their music. It has made them more popular in a way and not good to old time fans in some ways. The difference in these guys is that they are one of the few acts that really pushes themselves for the art and culture and stay true to their roots, and its not just about gettin on 106 & Park. Dre was not afraid to let his freak flag fly, and how that would affect album sales, and Big wasn't about to care either and would stand by him regardless. They will always be great, and icons in hip hop. This is true original hip hop, and they will always own a piece of that pie along with Goodie MOB. They are still part of Dungeon Family, but were always Outkast first and foremost, the family was just the clique that hung out in basement on the kryptonite.

TomSelis
06-08-2007, 12:20 AM
From Southernplaylistic they were pretty much equal until Stankonia. The thing is Andre 3000 is much more cerebral and Big Boi is a little more political. Andre has grown by leaps and bounds while Big Boi seems to be focusing much more on the production end. Andre is more experimental while Big Boi is more spiritual. They compliment each other well tho'. Speakerboxx was much more accessible than Love Below.

TLC.....well the album "CrazySexyCool" summed them up perfectly. Left Eye was the crazy one, Chilli was the sexy one and T-Boz was the cool one. I always wondered what was Left Eye's point in the group though.

TJ347
06-08-2007, 02:33 AM
It seems like every time Erykah Badu gets in sexual contact with an artist, they get turned out on some weird shit.

Agree completely with the above. Dre was alright until he got caught up in Erykah Badu's wacked out world, and next thing you know, he's wearing a blonde wig, short shorts and platform shoes in videos... Don't know what she's got between her legs, but clearly, I don't want to find out.

Also, to add to what's already been said, Big Boi definitely keeps Andre grounded, as without him, I can easily see Andre becoming a sort of hip-hop Bjork, which might sound interesting when you think about it, but probably wouldn't if you had to listen to the music.

werwt22
06-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Not really....I just think Andre 3k is getting all the lime light because he's branching out of rap and appealing to other musical cultures.

crayons
06-08-2007, 02:51 AM

My thoughts exactly. Rap in general sucks.

jmt
06-08-2007, 03:03 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

trannybanger
06-08-2007, 03:05 AM

Incredibly open mind. In actuality, I would not refer to Outkast as rap, but more hip hop. There is a difference.

And another note, anyone who appreciates any music at all should at least be able to detect quality and passion and discern great musicians regardless of whether or not that would be their chosen genre of music to put on the stereo.

Nooksack
06-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Nobody asked you guys if rap sucked or not. The question was about specific artists. If you have something to offer, then offer it. If all you're going to say is "rap sucks" why don't you make your own thread about it?

TomSelis
06-08-2007, 03:08 AM
Nobody asked you guys if rap sucked or not. The question was about specific artists. If you have something to offer, then offer it. If all you're going to say is "rap sucks" why don't you make your own thread about it?

NOOOO!!! Never say that....cause you know it'll be coming.

I think they mean mainstream rap tho'.

Nooksack
06-08-2007, 03:14 AM
I'd argue that most mainstream rap is poor quality. I would also agree that rap and hip-hop (while related) are NOT the same. And anyone who is close-minded enough to single out entire genres as sucking is too close-minded for me to really care about their opinion. Shit, I don't like most country, but there are a few good songs, imho. It's just stupid to hate on an entire genre when they probably haven't sampled all that it has to offer.

TJ347
06-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Andre 3k is getting all the lime light because he's branching out of rap and appealing to other musical cultures.

That's nothing new. Run-DMC and Aerosmith did it years ago with "Walk This Way", and since the earliest days of hip-hop people have sampled/jacked James Brown beats. A few years ago, Guru once again infused hip-hop and jazz with the Jazzmatazz albums, and Digable Planets did the same with their biggest hit "Rebirth of Slick". Many years ago, Mellow Man Ace combined hip-hop and salsa in the song "Mentirosa", and Kid Frost's first (only?) hit "La Raza" again combined hip-hop with a Latin sound. These artists, and hundreds of others, vastly broadened the appeal of hip-hop, something that most other forms of music have never been able to do anywhere near as well, if at all.

beatmaker
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM

Ignorant and close-minded. You both should get married. Your comment really solidified everything I posted about you, in the other thread last week. People who are legends in their own mind, who don't like rap or hip-hop (wonder why?) and say it sucks, when nobody asked them their B.S opinion. Let me clarify, your not ignorant or close-minded because you dislike rap music. Your close-minded, because you see fit to impose your views in a setting where it's not conducive to the discussion. Laymen's terms "You're trying to insert some bullshyt into the fray, for no apparent reason, other than you can". Some people think country and western sucks and it's for rednecks/white trash, Jim Bean drinking Southerners. Some people think rock-n-roll is a bunch of long haired, drugged out white guys paying loud guitars with mediocre, screaming vocals. Obviously, these are unfounded stereotypes, based on people's limited understanding of a music and culture, they don't "identify" with.

See this is where the open-minded and close-minded person splits. Sure Mick Jagger can't sing worth a damn, yet Steven Tyler can. I don't really mess with rock like that, but talent is talent and good music is good music. I can understand many people's aversion to today's hip-hop, but to label Outkast as "sucking ass", just because you don't like them and you think your opinion is something this thread values is sheer lunacy.

TSNTX and Crayons, since you obviously don't like any hip-hop, even the kind that isn't crude, vulgar and promoting ignorant, deviant behavior. Why don't you take the "negative" jacket off for a second and start your own thread asking a similar question about an artist or group from a music genre you like and respect.

It's amazing someone who is a transsexual living in a Republican, Bible-Belt state like Texas could be so damn closeminded. You have taken on the mentality of your own oppressor. People who think you are hellbound and should be shocked, prodded and preached to, until you do right.

What comes around, goes back around two-fold. Remember that shyt, while your up on your high horse, trying to be superior!

beatmaker
06-08-2007, 09:41 AM
To answer the actual question folks (Sorry, I had to address some B.S postings first). Andre 3000 and Big Boi have great chemistry and each bring a different perspective from Southern hip-hop/music. Andre's stuff is more rooted in the Southern Soul/Blues sound of yesteryear meshed with Rock influences. Big Boi's stuff is straight street corner/strip club/pimp hand rap. I personally think the Aquemini album is their best album (Source Magazine gave it 5 mics) and the last one where their was balance between the two. Stankonia and the Speakerboxxx/Love Below projects kind of had Andre's stamp on them.

I'll wrap it up by saying, I like these two brothers. They dibble and dabble in the B.S every now and then (like the new cut they have with UKG), but they try to push creativity in the culture without glorifying the ingorance, that keeps many poor blacks and browns pigeonholded. I'm personally sick of 50 Cent, G-Unit and all these other cats who talk about senseless nonsense all day, so their sellout asses can become rich, while they poison young, impressionable minds throughout the ghettos/barrios of America.

trannybanger
06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Although I love Aquemini, and its most likely my number two I still would have to say ATLiens is the best album. It was their tipping point, still well grounded with their feet still in the struggles of growing up in the swats and on the verge of being the hottest sound from the south and elevating into a new lifestyle.

hwbs
06-08-2007, 10:18 AM
you always get those people stuck on an artists 1st album....this goes 4 all types of music...everything they release afterwards are considered sellouts...i wouldnt put much into this thread considering most people are just into top 40 or whats being played on mtv...

i love all my ol school stuff...but you do get some good current hip hop...just have to sift through all the garbage out there...

CORVETTEDUDE
06-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Who gives a rats ass??? You can cram that crap up the anal cavity and stick a cork in it!!!!

trannybanger
06-08-2007, 06:08 PM

Who gives a rats ass??? You can cram that crap up the anal cavity and stick a cork in it!!!!

You mean like who give's a rats ass that you got an avatar? And surprisingly it was a corvette? And an ugly one at that?

MonsieurValentine
06-08-2007, 06:11 PM

corvettes and crayons suck. they were both hot in '84, though. i bet you like nickelback, eh? stereotypes rock!

trannybanger
06-08-2007, 06:18 PM

corvettes and crayons suck. they were both hot in '84, though. i bet you like nickelback, eh? stereotypes rock!

Haha.... I am gonna say, probably a grown up Pearl Jam lover

MonsieurValentine
06-08-2007, 06:43 PM

Haha.... I am gonna say, probably a grown up Pearl Jam lover

corvettes... nickelback... nascar can't be far off.

werwt22
06-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Andre 3k is getting all the lime light because he's branching out of rap and appealing to other musical cultures.

That's nothing new. Run-DMC and Aerosmith did it years ago with "Walk This Way", and since the earliest days of hip-hop people have sampled/jacked James Brown beats. A few years ago, Guru once again infused hip-hop and jazz with the Jazzmatazz albums, and Digable Planets did the same with their biggest hit "Rebirth of Slick". Many years ago, Mellow Man Ace combined hip-hop and salsa in the song "Mentirosa", and Kid Frost's first (only?) hit "La Raza" again combined hip-hop with a Latin sound. These artists, and hundreds of others, vastly broadened the appeal of hip-hop, something that most other forms of music have never been able to do anywhere near as well, if at all.

I know its not new. Andre 3000 used to just rap with hip-hop beats, but now he's singing, rapping, and using sounds so weird that I don't know what musical genre they would fit in and I'm saying that's whats getting him all the attention he''s getting.

Medellin
06-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Nah dog u cant say that.

Andre is aquarius and Big Boi is Gemini.

They both bring different ball game to the table.

Big Boi brings the gutter strip club runnin attidude and Andre just the creative dude.

Back in da days when they made Cadillac.... and Players Ball they were young and shit, then over the years of touring and having worldwide journeys and learning about different cultures they became a meltpot of everything dog.

They maintain theiur styles.

I would say they both masters of their art.

And i dont think u can compare them to Lisa Lopez (rip) and TLC dude..

TomSelis
06-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Roses was the shit....or should I say the doo-doo.

Should be every guy's anthem.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbbowkrdXOc

Nooksack
06-09-2007, 05:12 AM
you always get those people stuck on an artists 1st album....this goes 4 all types of music...everything they release afterwards are considered sellouts...i wouldnt put much into this thread considering most people are just into top 40 or whats being played on mtv...

i love all my ol school stuff...but you do get some good current hip hop...just have to sift through all the garbage out there...

I loved Southernplayalisticaddilacmusik (Outkast's first album), but my favorite has always been ATLiens. As for those who trip off of what the DJs and hit the Billboard charts, I can't agree enough. Funnily, my favorite song of theirs of all time is 13th Floor (from ATLiens), which got almost no play on the radio outside of the ATL area. Aquemini is my second favorite but that's because I locked onto Rosa Parks and SpottieOttieDopaliscious from the second I heard the beats. I also dig on Red Velvet from Stankonia.

TJT
06-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Back when me,Gil-Scott and Curtis Blow were inventing the scene it was pretty good. Ain't been the same since '78.

Solitary Brother
06-09-2007, 05:18 AM
"Hip hop" as it is commonly referred to today is garbage......made by the low class for the low class.

Nooksack
06-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Why do you consider it garbage and what makes it any different from most of the other popular genres embraced by low-to-upper classed people?

Country? Please...
Rock? I'm not sure whether it's evolution or devolution
Classical? Why does it seem like the best tunes have already been composed and the only good new stuff is movie theme music...
Electronic/Dance/Trance/Techno? Lets keep recycling the greatest beats from the 80s and 90s...

And why is hip-hop only for the low class? I see people from all walks of life enjoying hip-hop. That statement just isn't very educated or well-supported.

MonsieurValentine
06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
"Hip hop" as it is commonly referred to today is garbage......made by the low class for the low class.

let the idiot speak...

Medellin
06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Yea man i gotta say u r right man. Cos many suburban white boys think they know shit about Hip Hop, just cos they watch BET and grew up in the same country the whole thing started.

But i understand what he meant, cos on da real, iŽunderstand the poverty and shit going on. The murder rates, the drug problems.

I done seen some of that shit by myself. Thats why i feel this music.

I like the whole gutter shit and also the stepped up game some niggas reinvented the shit.

Look at Timbo or some of his peeps like the upcoming producer Danjahandz, they visisted house and trance clubs around the world and then let that shit be a influence to the hip hop shit.

Or i also got mad love for Polow da Don. I dont wanna hate on Rich Boy, but the niggas so damn ugly and also wack.

But he can be glad Polow picked him up and made something outta him.

trannybanger
06-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Yea man i gotta say u r right man. Cos many suburban white boys think they know shit about Hip Hop, just cos they watch BET and grew up in the same country the whole thing started.

But i understand what he meant, cos on da real, iŽunderstand the poverty and shit going on. The murder rates, the drug problems.

I done seen some of that shit by myself. Thats why i feel this music.

I like the whole gutter shit and also the stepped up game some niggas reinvented the shit.

Look at Timbo or some of his peeps like the upcoming producer Danjahandz, they visisted house and trance clubs around the world and then let that shit be a influence to the hip hop shit.

Or i also got mad love for Polow da Don. I dont wanna hate on Rich Boy, but the niggas so damn ugly and also wack.

But he can be glad Polow picked him up and made something outta him.

Damn, gettin street up in Austria

DopeBoy Magic
06-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Ummmm, in actually. Big Boi is the only rapper in outkast that can appeal to the "thugs". Andre 3000 don't get no luv in the streets. Niggas ain't bangin dre cuz he dress too gay, and act too gay. yet big boi has managed to keep his hood credibility despite andre's weirdness. But on the flipside....andre 3000 is most definately more of a crossover hit than big boi. Mostly becuz white people will buy anything (lol), hence the success of mims and rich boy. 2 niggas that are garbage....but actually goin platinum.

LG
06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I don't think you have to be black or living in a tough city to appreciate hip-hop. I don't think you need to be American to listen to country music or a stoner to listen to acid house. I think it's possible to appreciate every kind of music and not try and group it together and decide that only one or another group of people should listen to it.

My CD collection includes jazz, blues, 50's rock and roll, techno, trance, house, hip-hop, classical, African, Asian and Native American tribal music, Soweto jazz, ethnic European, big band, rock, heavy metal and bluegrass. I cannot accept that I should not listen to any one or more of these kinds of music because of my background, education or class or colour of my skin.

And as far as white hip-hop artists are concerned the key question you have to ask is "Are they any good?" Some are very good, some are pretty shit. Being white has nothing to do with it. Music is an equal opportunities art form.

trannybanger
06-11-2007, 03:02 AM
if we are going to get into white hip hop (not that color truly makes a difference)... as a percentage, the number of good artists to the number of artists out there... reality is the number is higher with white hip hop artists

beatmaker
06-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Listen, knock off the bourgeoise nonsense. You should like Giancarlo Esposito's character in "School Daze", what was it Dean Big Brother AlmighTYY!!. You know, looking his nose down at the common folk. I am a huge critic of today's rap music. I don't even think 90% of today's stuff, could be classified as "hip-hop". It's just some pop-rap crap with a catchy hook, to sell some records. However, they're many intelligent cats, who do well for themselves, that like hip-hop music. Some like the mainstream stuff, then you have guys like me who prefer more underground, B-side type hip-hop. I listen to a lot of older stuff too (circa late 80/early-mid 90's).

Solitary Brother, you can't make sweeping statements like that. Not all people who listen to the music are ghetto and ignorant, nor is all the music ghetto and ignorant.

beatmaker
06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
You should like Giancarlo Esposito's character in "School Daze", what was it Dean Big Brother AlmighTYY!!.

Correction: I meant "sound" like, not "should" like.