PDA

View Full Version : Keeping In Shape

whatsupwithat
06-05-2007, 05:26 AM
Dance.

The Truth
06-05-2007, 05:27 AM
I hit the gym four times per week. I mostly do eliptical machines for about 40 minutes and then some very light weight lifting. I'd love to do more sit ups, but my back just gives up.

lust4ts
06-05-2007, 05:49 AM
I myself am an exercise fanatic and train every other day (mainly weights), Box three times a week, have just starting doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Swim when I have the free time.

So if you are just trying to stay slim and not bulk up, boxing training is great and also very fun and not as tedious as the general Cardio you have spoke of. I fight on an Amateur Level but there are many people at my club who only train and have no intention of fighting.

I know people who were very overweight when they started training at my club and now they are cut with good six packs, and actually lost the excess weight in a very short time. It's also good to know that if anyone does fuck with you, for any reason you are able to protect yourself. Seriously, if you have a local Boxing Club where you live join and see how you get on. As I said it is very enjoyable and is good all over work out. And if you did decide to fight it is a serious rush - but that's up to you. Also swimming is very good (especially for a six pack). :)

TheOne1
06-05-2007, 06:07 AM
cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol.... and i stay away from junk food, its bad for you

whatsupwithat
06-05-2007, 06:09 AM
cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol.... and i stay away from junk food, its bad for you

shit, i forgot about the cigarettes.

very important in any fitness pogram. remember...it's about balance.

Nooksack
06-05-2007, 06:14 AM
I run between 3 and 12 miles most days (alternating long distance and shorter distance days) as well as weight lifting and various calesthenics.

Realgirls4me
06-05-2007, 06:46 AM
I hurt myself (How else? working out) a few years ago and only recently have tried getting back into it. My injury still limits me, but I am so surprised at how fast my body responds when I do work out with what I can. I can't believe how my upper body responds after only two-and-a-half weeks, and this despite not being able to do military presses -- which really respond -- due to a degenerative disc in my lower back. I wish I could maintain that pump look eternally. :)

My workout when I can workout:

A 13 mile bike sprint along the coast, followed by ten 30 yard wind sprints every three days (have not done this in four years due to injury).

Chair dips (five sets of 20)
Push-ups with hands pointed toward one another(limited to a couple of sets due to bad shoulder)
Shoulder shrugs (three sets of 30)
Lat pulldowns (about 5 sets of 20)
Bicep curls (four sets of 20)
Several wing type of exercises with 10lb barbells

That's about it. I have read recently that two sets at a high weight is all one actually needs to get maximun results according to a Mayo study, thus rendering those conventional four set sets useless. Anyone know anything about this?

Realgirls4me
06-05-2007, 06:58 AM
It's called muscle memory, believe me, your muscles have memory :wink:

How does it work? I've never really bought into that for some reason. I go through long periods (years literally) between workouts as I have with this time around, and yet it responds.

I dunno. :shrug

TJT
06-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Sometimes I get out of bed.

DJ_Asia
06-05-2007, 07:58 AM

How does it work? I've never really bought into that for some reason. I go through long periods (years literally) between workouts as I have with this time around, and yet it responds.

Muscle memory is indeed a fact.Of course you need to add mass to muscle first,allow it to go away and then recover it.

It took me about a year or more to add the muscle I have then recently during my stay in NY due to many circumstances I didnt workout for about 3 months and I lost quite a bit of it.Now that im getting back on track the size is returning and within 1-2 months I will be back close to my pre NY size.

However its worth noting that if you train naturally(no juice)4-5 times per week most males can only add 7lbs of lean muscle mass per year.This is why most training programs fail....lack of noticeable improvement...the older you get the harder it becomes as your natural levels of testosterone and growth hormone taper off dramatically after 27 years of age,give or take.

Wolfcap
06-05-2007, 09:13 AM
stay single as long as possible. Once in a relationship and happy, keeping in shape is tres difficult

NYTSJulie
06-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Yoga, love it. Makes you nice and limber also, and that's a plus in the bedroom. I would like to get back to the gym also. My sister goes 7 days a week with out fail, I wish I had that drive to work out.

MrsKellyPierce
06-05-2007, 11:30 AM
I just dance on the weekends and eat a bunch of junk food through the week lol

TJ347
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Sold my weight bench and gave my exercise bike and Ab Lounger away over the weekend, then ordered the expensive, but effective unit in the link below.

http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_multi_sysn.htm

I'm also going to Dick's Sporting Goods today to pick up an elliptical machine, to replace the bike. Until the new equipment comes, I'll just use the elliptical machine... or take a break for a couple of days and wait.

In any event, I workout better alone, so gyms are out of the question... though a few friends and some family now want to come to my house to work out having seen the new equipment I've ordered.

canihavu
06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Find something that you truly enjoy that burns calories. It doesn't have to be the gym - it could be bike riding, power walking, fucking, etc...

TJT
06-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Muscle memory is indeed a fact.Of course you need to add mass to muscle first,allow it to go away and then recover it.

It took me about a year or more to add the muscle I have then recently during my stay in NY due to many circumstances I didnt workout for about 3 months and I lost quite a bit of it.Now that im getting back on track the size is returning and within 1-2 months I will be back close to my pre NY size.

However its worth noting that if you train naturally(no juice)4-5 times per week most males can only add 7lbs of lean muscle mass per year.This is why most training programs fail....lack of noticeable improvement...the older you get the harder it becomes as your natural levels of testosterone and growth hormone taper off dramatically after 27 years of age,give or take.

That's interesting. I'm an ex-jock and will show real gain and definition after a few weeks of playing around with weights. I've seen other folks who live at the gym and can't get the same results in months? I know a lot of old jocks who can do the same thing. I wonder if it may be just toning the muscle fibers you developed way back when?

I also wonder if it has something to do with the age you develop the original muscle mass? I never worked out seriously after the age of 22-23. Most of my hard training occurred between 12 and 20? When I hit the weights it all comes back in no time. Hell,I get visible results from isometrics in short order and I'm a half century old.

Perverted Monk
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
stay single as long as possible. Once in a relationship and happy, keeping in shape is tres difficult

Too True

Realgirls4me
06-06-2007, 06:17 AM
How do you guys work around an injury?

Like I mentioned upstream, military presses seem to respond beautifully with me, but my problem is that my left shoulder eventually gets too painful to advance to a higher weight. In the past, these presses have really helped in providing me with a decent "V" shape. Today, when I do work out, the right shoulder is saying, "Hey, let's go another five pounds!". The left shoulder is going "Fuck off, I quit."

Any thoughts on this? Should one just continue with the lower weights for the left shoulder to hold on to definition or what ?

ezed
06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
How do you guys work around an injury?

Like I mentioned upstream, military presses seem to respond beautifully with me, but my problem is that my left shoulder eventually gets too painful to advance to a higher weight. In the past, these presses have really helped in providing me with a decent "V" shape. Today, when I do work out, the right shoulder is saying, "Hey, let's go another five pounds!". The left shoulder is going "Fuck off, I quit."

Any thoughts on this? Should one just continue with the lower weights for the left shoulder to hold on to definition or what ?

Try high doses of L Glutamine for a few weeks.

It's funny you say that. A very famous ex-hockey player recomended highly the same stuff to a friend of mine.

I still play hockey and use soft knee braces with plastic reinforcement on the sides. I had knee surgery in college and over the past four years had strained ACL on one knee and strained MCL on the other. I sometime think of ditching the braces on certain nights and don't and it never fails that something wierd happpens and my leg goes a certain way and I'm glad I didn't.

Realgirls4me, check out a chiropractor. I play hockey with one and he turned me on to the proper brace for what I'm doing.

BlackAdder
06-06-2007, 07:26 AM
I have this body naturally:) Eat lots of fish and drink water.