PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!

TJ347
05-26-2007, 09:47 PM
That's all... Happy Memorial Day. Have fun, be safe, and all that.

LG
05-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Happy Memorial Day, my American friends.

chefmike
05-28-2007, 01:49 AM

Memorial Day is not a celebration, son...not that I expect a frivolous dipshit like yourself to realize that...Memorial Day is about honoring people who have served, not punks like yourself who treat it like a Gay Pride parade...

chefmike
05-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Fuckin jackass punk...

http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20549&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

LG
05-28-2007, 02:25 AM

Memorial Day is not a celebration, son...not that I expect a frivolous dipshit like yourself to realize that...Memorial Day is about honoring people who have served, not punks like yourself who treat it like a Gay Pride parade...

I agree Chefmike, but please take it easy. Memorial Day (formerly called Decoration Day, I think) is a day to remember and honor those who died serving their country. But isn't it true that to most people in the US, especially those who have never served, Memorial Day is just another holiday, like any other? It shouldn't be, but it is. Isn't the Indy 500 held on Memorial Day?

In other parts of the world, they have Remembrance Day. Then there's VE Day, VJ Day and a whole host of other holidays that have sadly lost their meaning, in the same way that Thanksgiving has and even Christmas has.

So on this Memorial Day, all of us, Americans and Europeans alike, should maybe try a little bit harder to honour those who have died and, even more importantly, try to act to end the dying.

For some, it will just be another holiday, with BBQs or cookouts, beer and all that. I suppose there's nothing wrong with unwinding a little, as long as we don't forget the true meaning of this day for good.

Just my thoughts.

tsafficianado
05-28-2007, 06:01 AM
chef, it seems that anyone who doesn't adhere strictly to your precise diatribe (or is that Learsy's diatribe) is one or more of the following:
cretin
frivolous dipshit
chickenhawk
irrelevant pinhead
chickenshit
or chickenshit punk
did i leave any out?

you are pretty bold in calling someone a chickenshit punk when cloaked in the anonymity of a message board. are you similarly cordial in person?

arc angel
05-28-2007, 06:17 AM
you are trippin !!! all of you..... its a day for all who fight for us, and those who gave everything. it is a day for them. forget not those who fight for you and me...

TJ347
05-28-2007, 06:53 AM
I said "Happy Memorial Day", and that's what I meant. I am happy to observe Memorial Day, and would hope that other Americans are as well. Happy, that is, in the sense that they are proud to remember the courage of those who have given their lives in service to America and to the cause of freedom, and if they are proud of that sacrifice, then they will also take joy in the fact that these sacrifices were made for their benefit. That said, Semper Fi. You aren't the only one who has served Chefmike, and while you sure as hell can't teach me anything about Memorial Day, you can clearly teach me alot about opening my mouth and inserting my foot. I responded to you to date with civility, and while you claim to have been a soldier, you were unable to do the same, showing me that either you were never a soldier, or were never much of one. It doesn't matter which is the case, I am now done trying to converse with you. Enjoy your existence.

SkyTwo
05-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Memorial Day hits me like few others. I haven't served, but there are veterans among my family and friends, and there's no committment greater than saying "I believe so strongly in this that I'm ready to give my life for it." Especially when you're expressing that belief by taking a gun in hand in playing a part in someone else's plans.

I'm not religious, but I always take a few minutes on Memorial Day to just take in the enormity of the idea that millions of Americans-- and countless people around the world-- have made this sacrifice. Sometimes wisely, and in the name of the betterment of the human race. And in millions of other cases, men and women were misled into serving unjust causes. Or forced.

When you think about the billions who've been killed in war-- how many in the 20th century alone? 60 million? 100 million? I'm always a bit ashamed that it's a day of barbecues and parties instead of a day of meditation in memory of two things: the magnificence of the human race in our ability to lay down our lives in the service of something greater than ourselves, and the incomprehensible tragedy of the fact that we're still called upon to do so.

SkyTwo
05-28-2007, 07:36 AM
". . . it is less the pain of the Trojans still to come
that weighs me down, not even of Hecuba herself
or King Priam, or the thought that my own brothers
in all their numbers, all their gallant courage,
may tumble into the dust, crushed by enemies--
That is nothing, nothing besideyour agony
when some brazen Argive hales you off in tears,
wrenching away your day of light and freedom!"

Iliad, Bk 6

I've long thought the scene where Hector takes his leave of Andromache sums up the things we've always thought about war-- yet never overcome. There's plenty of room for the sentiment to be co-opted and abused by demagogues, but there's something almost incomprehensibly beautiful and tragic about the idea that so many of us have felt the same way about it for so many thousands of years.

4star4
05-28-2007, 07:54 AM
My Great Grandfather was killed in WWI. My Grandfather faught in WWII, US Navy, as a morse code radio man in the Galopogos Islands after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

I was at my Grandpa's grave today, cutting the grass around his stone, and watering his flower in remberance of him on Memorial Day tomorrow.

I hope everyone that reads this site, who has family members that have sacrificed their lives for their country, can understand the mistake of what President Bush is putting our country through right now. Not to mention the people of Iraq.

I'm very proud of my ancestors, but I don't think they would be proud of what is going on now.

TJ347
05-28-2007, 07:56 AM
I'd just like to add, for the sake of those put off by Chefmike's childish name calling whenever anyone espouses thoughts different than his own, that this is not the behavior typical of most veterans whom I have met. I highly doubt that any of you will have found your interactions with most veterans you have met so negative either, but for those who may feel the need to walk on eggshells around current or former servicemen and women, there is no need to do so. Giving voice to your opinion is one of the liberties we have in the United States, and one of the many liberties which people have fought and died for. So, if you would espouse your opinions respectfully, even if they are contrary to that of most service people, I am virtually certain that responses such as Chefmike's will be few and far between, as most of us are capable of conversing with both civility and intelligence. That's all I've got...

chefmike
05-28-2007, 08:53 AM
You don't know jackshit about military service, son. Civility? They'll be selling sno-cones in hell when I respond to the likes of you with civility...and yes, you're right, that's all you've got.

chefmike
05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
My Great Grandfather was killed in WWI. My Grandfather faught in WWII, US Navy, as a morse code radio man in the Galopogos Islands after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

I was at my Grandpa's grave today, cutting the grass around his stone, and watering his flower in remberance of him on Memorial Day tomorrow.

I hope everyone that reads this site, who has family members that have sacrificed their lives for their country, can understand the mistake of what President Bush is putting our country through right now. Not to mention the people of Iraq.

I'm very proud of my ancestors, but I don't think they would be proud of what is going on now.

I couldn't agree more.

chefmike
05-28-2007, 09:04 AM
did i leave any out?
Yes, you did....you're obviously also a dickless piece-of-shit wimp who doesn't know shit from shinola.

TJ347
05-28-2007, 09:15 AM
And I suppose they'll be selling water ices in hell when you respond to me with intelligence...
I've said everything I have to say about this issue, and now, as this whole thing degenerates into idiocy, I'm removing myself from the equation, lest I too be thought of as an idiot. You can argue with yourself, or whoever takes you seriously enough to find your commentary worthy of a response, Chefmike. Your inability to offer a coherent counterpoint is most telling, and I am disappointed in myself that having realized this as one of your shortcomings, I nonetheless attempted to engage you in a civil manner. Your subsequent rants and childish behavior have only served to reinforce what I already knew, and as you continue to prove yourself to be incapable of conversing as an adult, I again must move on. I previously said "Semper Fi", and that was a mistake on my part in offering a reply to your previous comment, since as a former Marine, I was taking the step of addressing you, a former serviceman, honorably, when from all appearances, you have no honor. I will try in the future to be a better judge of character.
In any event, thanks sincerely for your service.

chefmike
05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
My father was a jarhead who served in the Korean war, and I was a swabbie who served four years on the flight deck of the USS Kitty Hawk, but I really doubt if you could pass muster as a girl-scout, zippy.

wendy48088
05-28-2007, 12:13 PM
God Bless Our Soldiers
Who Have Given All

Memorial Day
May 28, 2007

“I consider it no sacrifice to die for my country. In my mind, we came here to thank God that men like these have lived rather than to regret that they have died.”

General George S. Patton

iloveshemales77
05-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Wasn't it also Patton who said: "Son, your job isn't to die for your country, it's to make that other poor bastard die for his."

specialk
05-28-2007, 01:23 PM
did i leave any out?
Yes, you did....you're obviously also a dickless piece-of-shit wimp who doesn't know shit from shinola.

He's baccckkkk>>>>>

wendy48088
05-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Wasn't it also Patton who said: "Son, your job isn't to die for your country, it's to make that other poor bastard die for his."

Yes, Patton came up with some good ones...

The only real mistake he made was that incident where he went off on the soldier in the field hospital with "battle fatigue". We know it know as "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder", but Gen Patton thought it was cowardace.

From an Internet search:

"...General George Patton almost lost his career over an incident where he slapped a solder. If you are not familiar with the incident, the General was visiting a hospital where he encountered a soldier sitting on a hospital bed with no visible wounds. When asked about the situation, the General was told that the soldier just "couldn't take it anymore" and was in the hospital for evaluation, recuperation, etc.

The General blew up, slapped the soldier across the head with the riding gloves he always carried and screamed at the soldier....thus erupting the famous "Patton slap" stories and increased concern for shell shock, PTSD, post-battle symptoms, etc. The incident almost cost Patton his career, and he had to stand and publically apoligize to the hospital staff, the soldier, his command and anybody else that Ike thought needed to hear the apology..."

iloveshemales77
05-28-2007, 03:05 PM
That incident is famous. He was considered a borderline nutcase by Ike and the top army brass, which he probably was. The proverbial loose cannon. The man had a heck of a lot of chuzpa tho. Legend has it he was in deep shit after beating a man almost to death. The said man had attempted to foist his undesired attention on a poor damsel. He reckoned without George S. tho!
Also famous for pissing in the River Rhine after winning the war.

mistab
05-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Memorial Day...

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1