PDA

View Full Version : Could you end a loved one's life if they asked you to?

LG
05-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Picking up from Chefmike's thread on Kevorkian, I got to thinking. Some of my older relatives, witnessing the way others have died have told me "If I ever get like that, help me die." At least one of them has meant it.

It's simple- the right kind of injection or a dose of painkillers could end someone's suffering. But you may believe that euthanasia is murder and suicide is a sin. It's your call.

So, if there was no risk of going to jail, would you be a willing accomplice if they wanted you to? Or would you decline? And why?

I will emphasise- we are assuming there would be a way to do it without going to jail. The question here is about morality and not just the law.

What would you pick?

Jericho
05-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Morally, i have no qualms about it being the right thing to do.
Whether i'd have the courage to do it or not, though, is another matter.
Obviously, i'd prefer never to be in a situation where i find out, but, if it came to it, hopefully i would.

LG
05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Obviously, i'd prefer never to be in a situation where i find out, but, if it came to it, hopefully i would.

Cosign

muhmuh
05-26-2007, 08:11 PM

+1

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-27-2007, 05:19 AM
I've handled DNR/hospice patients before and from experience It's "heartbreaking" for someone to make that call when the one's involved are close knitt relatives..i.e. parents, brother, sister, daughter, son etc.

You are torn wether to keep them (prolong their lives) or end their sufferring. The latter would make more sense but still a hard choice for one to make.

I dont have the heart for it when it involves any of my family members. I hope that time doesnt ever come. :cry: :evil:

~Kisses.

HTG

Somedude21
05-27-2007, 05:22 AM
I would like to say that I know that I could make the choice to end their suffering...but I honestly don't know. I hope that I can make the right choice for them, but I won't know for certain until I'm confronted with that situation.

chefmike
05-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Everyone should have a living will, just consider the Terry Schiavo matter if you have any doubts...

LG
05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I've handled DNR/hospice patients before and from experience It's "heartbreaking" for someone to make that call when the one's involved are close knitt relatives..i.e. parents, brother, sister, daughter, son etc.

You are torn wether to keep them (prolong their lives) or end their sufferring. The latter would make more sense but still a hard choice for one to make.

I dont have the heart for it when it involves any of my family members. I hope that time doesnt ever come. :cry: :evil:

~Kisses.

HTG

I'm with you. But you know what? We'd do it to a dog or a horse. When our dog was dying, we called the vet to come in. She was dead before he came, but if she wasn't, then he would have put her down to end her suffering. And yet when a loved one was dying none of us had the guts to stop the treatment even though it was only perpetuating the suffering. We could've doubled the dose of painkillers and stopped the other medication and it would have been over in days. But we didn't and we watched this wonderful, sweet person become a vegetable and suffer for months. Every time I think about it I feel angry for what we did.

So if we're humane to our pets, why not to the people we love? I don't know.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
LOL Thankfully, I have not had that horrible experience LG. I'd say Im lucky to some extent. I know how attached I get with my own pets. ;)

Cant bear the thought of putting a pet down. :evil:

~Kisses.

HTG

Darkwing Duck
05-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Only under extreme circumstances... Like the army brass getting eaten by a giant bug in Starship Troopers.

LG
05-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Only under extreme circumstances... Like the army brass getting eaten by a giant bug in Starship Troopers.

I assume you voted for the last option?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-28-2007, 02:37 AM
I'd like to thank the other 3 people who voted with me asking about these serious threads

LG
05-28-2007, 02:41 AM
I'd like to thank the other 3 people who voted with me asking about these serious threads
:D

Okay, okay, I'm back to being frivolous again. Did you see my post on the Realdolls here?
http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=20574&start=30

freak
05-28-2007, 02:44 AM
I would like to think I could if asked but I don't ever want to know if I could. I do not want to be kept alive if I had no chance of getting better, so I would want to say I can pull the plug if I had to but it would be hard.

LG
05-28-2007, 02:48 AM
I would like to think I could if asked but I don't ever want to know if I could. I do not want to be kept alive if I had no chance of getting better, so I would want to say I can pull the plug if I had to but it would be hard.

I agree with you entirely, but like I said, if we'd do it to our dog and say it is humane, then why can't we do it to a human being that we love?

I don't know the answer to that one.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-28-2007, 02:59 AM
hehehe HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.realdoll.com/image/studio/shemale002.jpg

http://erosny.com/file-images/1179433640846-53356.jpg

wow, 2 lifeless bulks of mass that are nearly identical

trish
05-28-2007, 03:00 AM
my own living will directs my partner to "pull the plug" in circumstances that are further described in the document...and his will gives me similar instructions. can i kill a loved one under such circumstances? not by myself. i don't think i could point a gun and pull the triger...at least that would be horrifyingly difficult; but with a doctor's assistance i'm reasonable sure i would be up to the task that love, humanity and committment require. however, as i understand it, most states won't honor such provisions even if they are in a legally drawn up living will.

LG
05-28-2007, 03:02 AM
hehehe HIJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, that made me laugh. But JWBL, will you go and hijack someone else's thread instead please? Thank you.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-28-2007, 04:22 AM
alrightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt, damn now I feel bad