PDA

View Full Version : Going Wireless

canihavu
05-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Do you currently have a wireless network in your home?

canihavu
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Had one for a bout 4 years now...

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes I do and I love it! :P

~Kisses.

HTG

hwbs
05-22-2007, 01:45 PM
i have a dead spot in my room..i gave in and ran a 50 ft CAT5 under my house to my closet...i couldnt even stream music for 2 minutes without it rebuffing,lol....

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I have the equipment but due to security paranoia I keep it in boxes

wendy48088
05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I have the equipment but due to security paranoia I keep it in boxes

:) I know what you mean - The funny thing is, I have mine sitting here on my desk by the PC and am reading up how to change the defaults so that other people can't use their wireless cards to access my system...

From the Reference Manual for the 54 Mbps Wireless Router I have:

Name (SSID): Enter a value of up to 32 alphanumeric characters.

The same Name (SSID) must be assigned to all wireless devices in your network. The default SSID is NETGEAR, but NETGEAR strongly recommends that you change your network's Name (SSID) to a different
value. This value is also case-sensitive. For example, NETGEAR is not the same as NETGEAr.

Changing the Administrator Password

The default password for the router’s Web Configuration Manager is password. NETGEAR recommends that you change this password to a more secure password.

Fox
05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I bought a wireless card (Belkin Pre-N F5D8010) just for the purpose of seeing if I could leech any nearby networks. No dice. I don't know if it's my lack of knowledge or this card, but my mom's boyfriend's laptop can detect networks that my card can't. Both are b/g compatible. If I can, I'd like to try out the Netgear WAG511 card. You can crack WEP keys with it. :D

justatransgirl
05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi!
We've had a wireless network for going on 2 years. It's great except when the modem frys itself on occasion. We reset it about once a month on advice from tech support and it seems to work better.

Because of our video production as well as our business runs on the interent we have a pretty sophisticated set-up. Having a 23 yr old hacker girlfriend helps too... Giggle.

I often use wi-fi on tour and take advantage of hot stops. There's actually a listing of free wi-fi sites (I can't find the link or I'd post it...)

If you configure the firewall right you won't have any security breech problems. We live in a large complex between office buildings and there's about 10 networks in our range. We used to have a channel conflict but learned how to change it and everything is fine.

We use both D-Link and Netgear receivers with a Motorolla modem.

Have fun.
TS Jamie

hwbs
05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
im stickin with the big blue cat5 ,lol...wireless creates too much of a lag when i play xbox live..

waldo pepper
05-23-2007, 05:30 AM
In what may be the first good thing ever to come out of a Pringles tube you can use an empty tube as a directional amplifier for usb wireless adapters. This could work well in places with high population density. Supposedly this trick has been used by military in Iraq to increase the reception distance of wireless nets. And no I'm not making this up: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1860241.stm For specific build details run "pringles wireless" thru Google. The tough part will be eating what's in the Pringles tube first, yuk!

Felicia Katt
05-23-2007, 06:15 AM
I often use wi-fi on tour and take advantage of hot stops. There's actually a listing of free wi-fi sites (I can't find the link or I'd post it...)

http://www.wififreespot.com/

I keep a list of free spots in LA on my smart phone, so I can find a hot spot without having to open my notebook computer.

I also have an IOgrear Hotspot finder so I can see if there is a signal anywhere. I also have blue tooth so I can do dial up networking with my cell phone. Forgive me, but I'm such a geek :) or as I like to say, infomaniac

I feel like I was just in confessional!! and I am not even Catholic. More like Katt holic. :)

meow

FK

Felicia Katt
05-23-2007, 07:02 AM
I also have an IOgrear Hotspot finder

But if it doesn't tell you whether or not the network is security locked with authentication protocol. What's the point? :?:
If there is no signal, there is no point in turning on my notebook. I know there are finders out there that will give you more info, but this one was only 10 bucks after a big rebate. :)

FK