PDA

View Full Version : Fellas: Electric shaver recommedations.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Norelo 9195XL

BlackAdder
05-22-2007, 06:06 AM
I would suggest you spend some money on your razor...your not going to get anything good for $50.00 unless you get a steal deal on ebay.

I use a Norelco spectra 8892XL wet/dry razor...only have to replace the blades every year at a cost of 30$, and its got a 70 min life. I can shave in the car on the way to an appointment and that puts it over a blade shaver for me ANYDAY. Its one of the best electric shavers ever made.

TJT
05-22-2007, 06:48 AM
I've never had much luck with them. They make my shaving bumps go way up,wet or dry. LMK,if you find a good one.

M77 I've got one of those old Tripleheaders. The only thing I've found it good for is touching up my head once I blade shave it in hot weather.

TJ347
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
I second the return to blades idea, myself. I've got the most sensitive skin on earth, yet the Gillette Fusion leaves my skin baby soft, even when I lather up with soap. Of course, a good aftershave lotion is key to preventing the razor bumps that we as black men seem to develop very easily, but that's pretty obvious, so I'll leave it at that. Good luck!

TomSelis
05-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Andis, no guard....but be careful.

TomSelis
05-23-2007, 05:54 AM
If you're going to go electric with a shaver spend the dough and get a Braun.

BlackAdder
05-23-2007, 05:58 AM
I can, and ill tell you there is no comparison between the triple rotaries and a horizontal in terms of comfort and performance.

none.

As for the shaving bumps thing, it tells you right in the manual that it takes awhile for your skin to adjust to the lift n cut circular blades...longer for some people but yes, as a black man i would suggest a good aftershave lotion regardless.

Yeah, ill spend $200 on a thing i used every day and effects my livelihood.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-01-2007, 05:08 AM
this is probably too late but it just popped up on bargainjack
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FEGUIM/ref=nosim/?tag=bargainjack-20&linkCode=as1

hope I helped

hondarobot
06-01-2007, 05:37 AM
I've owned Panasonic, Braun, several other types and personally I think the mid-level Remington I've got now is just as good as any of them. Maybe even better, taking cost/performance into consideration. I'm not adverse to having five o'clock shadow, though, so if you want the long lasting clean shave go higher end.

To be honest, though, I could probably shave with a Garden Weasel and feel alright. Stuble doesn't bother me.

ARMANIXXX
06-01-2007, 09:39 AM
The thing is Unisex,

I think your a brotha right?

If so, then black men typically can't use the same razor types that white men use. You know the ad commercial, "the closest shave a man can get"? Well, that would be great for some people, but for alot of men of African descent, that type of shave may cause razor bumps.

I had this old beat up Braun I when I was 19, then when that broke, I bought another. I tried to ride it untill the wheels fell off, as they usually last 2 or 3 years, I managed to get near double time with it. It needed to be put down though.

So, about a year ago, I decided to try a Remington MS2 290 cause I found a nice sale on it. It cuts closer than that old ass Braun and it seems to do the job in like half the time. But if I'm not careful, it will give me razor bumps whereas the Braun did not.

I'm sort of razor bump resistant, as I don't seem to get them on my face, but my neck seems to get a few occasionally that I have to tweeze off. So, I use the "trimmer" part of the shaver and do the close stuff if I'm goin out to the club or somethin.

Anyways that old Braun was a called a BRAUN 255. I think I'm gonna call them and see if I can get another.

TJT
06-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Same here,on the neck around and below the Adams Apple.

I've tried that trimmer option,but it just makes mine worse.

A Syrian friend says the barbers there use a piece of stranded floss-like string to deal with the bumps on the neck? I've never figured out how it's done,but this time of year I'm ready to try anything?

ChicoBWare
06-01-2007, 09:53 AM
generally I use blades- mach 3, or generic disposable triple blade razors from target- which are less than a dollar each. But I also have a Norelco electric razor that I use when I am on the run . When I first got an electric razor a few years ago, I bought a generic one from walmart, and since then I have upgraded to the Norelco. I don't really see much of a difference in the performance betwen the generic one and the Norelco I now use. I recently saw a generic electric razor at Walgreens for $9.99. Personally I would just buy a generic one, as in my experience the generic ones seem to work just fine. Just my opinion :)

ARMANIXXX
06-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I've never used a straight razor nor the disposable type.

I wouldn't dare.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I have that bump stopper stuff in my cabinet, it does work, that razor i posted is $30, not bad

Perverted Monk
06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Unisex, Armanixxx

I'm surprised that you can even use electric shavers. Usually those things are bad for brothas. They get us all bumpy and what not. Especially the ones with the silver cylinders. At least this is what happened to me.

And yes we can use razors. Use the triple blade (Mach 3). But do not use regular shaving cream, that useless and will bump you up. What you should use is a Scalp Conditioner (not the same as hair conditioner). You can find them in a beauty/hair products store. I use one called Hairseptic. A white guy who owned a hair products business recommended this for me and it has been wonderful, like on some ol' "Yeah, I can get a close shave" kinda thing. Do this every 1-2 days and you'll be straight. Even other cats will be like Hey Brah, thats a nice shave you got there :)

SkyTwo
06-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Soap. Brush. Blade. I hate electrics, and it's kinda nice to pick up ritzy soaps and creams (considering that extra-posh stuff will last a very long time and run you $15 bucks or so). As an added bonus, I've actually happened upon lady friends taking covert sniffs of my shave brush. Which is quite the ego boost.

LG
06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Soap. Brush. Blade. I hate electrics, and it's kinda nice to pick up ritzy soaps and creams (considering that extra-posh stuff will last a very long time and run you $15 bucks or so). As an added bonus, I've actually happened upon lady friends taking covert sniffs of my shave brush. Which is quite the ego boost.

I agree. I tried electrics, never liked them and they always seemed to break too soon. I use a trusty old Gillette with disposable blades and a nice shaving gel, again by Gillette. Apparently it's the best a man can get. So they say...

peggygee
06-04-2007, 12:35 AM
I say, go with a beard, boo.

Then you can pick up older women. :wink: