PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination

vanished
05-20-2007, 11:29 AM
What do you do to motivate yourself or get yourself over procrastinating about something? I always have trouble with this and have tried different approaches - from envisioning the consequences of not donig it to drink quad vente ice mochas like water (quadruple espresso) - any tips?

Jericho
05-20-2007, 11:51 AM
What do you do to motivate yourself or get yourself over procrastinating about something? I always have trouble with this and have tried different approaches - from envisioning the consequences of not donig it to drink quad vente ice mochas like water (quadruple espresso) - any tips?

I'll tell you tomorrow.

vanished
05-20-2007, 12:05 PM

I'll tell you tomorrow.

Ok, we got the softball out of our system! lol cute

vanished
05-20-2007, 02:25 PM
"Why put off until tomorrow what you could do when a commercial comes on." ;-)

Adorable! lol And yes, one of the things that prevents me from finishing this table of contents on what I'm working on - that and obsessively reading HungAngels!

But we all have stuff we hate doing or don't want to do - but have to. Aside from the very zen response of "I do it", is there anyone out there (even our shy and retiring Arianna!) that has any techniques they use that do the trick? I think fear is one.....

MacShreach
05-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I think fear is one.....

Deadline Panic. Works every time.

vanished
05-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I think fear is one.....

To an extent - problem is you rush the job and blow details. Also, the Adrenaline Junkie Drama Queen in me feeds off that - I'm trying to stop it before it hits the Fear Factor!! lol

MacShreach
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM
I think fear is one.....

To an extent - problem is you rush the job and blow details.

Nah, the best work is done with seconds left to go. In the old days when you had an ashen-faced copyboy hovering nervously by your shoulder wondering how many seconds he would have to shave off the sprint to the caseroom this time.....Man that was livin. Adrenaline......yup. Good stuff.

vanished
05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
I think fear is one.....

To an extent - problem is you rush the job and blow details.

Nah, the best work is done with seconds left to go. In the old days when you had an ashen-faced copyboy hovering nervously by your shoulder wondering how many seconds he would have to shave off the sprint to the caseroom this time.....Man that was livin. Adrenaline......yup. Good stuff.

I had my last merit badge (don't laugh!) for Eagle signed within 2 minutes of my 17th birthday; I handed in an English literature essay by just making it to the inside airplane door as it was about to shut and handing it to the stewardess; I earned the nickname "the edgeplayer" and "the cowboy" during various phases of my life - I'm always Mr. Crunch Pressure -- I've done that enough times to realize either I change or my heart pops out of my chest soon! lol But I know what you mean - absolutely - like that little rush of adrenaline in your nose when you realized you almost ran over a dog - but didn't

Felicia Katt
05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
"when you kill time, you murder success"

one of my fave quotes

FK

vanished
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
"when you kill time, you murder success"

one of my fave quotes

FK

that's like "tempus fuggit"

Fox