PDA

View Full Version : colors

kambiid2005
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Are there any masculine colors and feminine colors? You know like colors which guys are supposed to like and colors which gals are supposed to like..

or is it all just a farce made up by the society?

LG
05-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Are there any masculine colors and feminine colors? You know like colors which guys are supposed to like and colors which gals are supposed to like..

or is it all just a farce made up by the society?

It's a farce.

In much, much older days, baby boys were valued much higher than little girls (and still are in some cultures) and they were dressed in the colour blue because this was considered to be the colour of the heavens and it was believed that this could ward off evil spirits. Baby girls were shrouded in whatever colour clothes were available.

Pink for little girls came later, possibly in an attempt to balance the colour scheme, and perhaps becuase legend had it that girls were born out of rose buds (boys were in cabbages, apparently).

All this has been programmed into us, to the extent that pink is considered a girly colour and often inappropriate for serious men, who usually choose shades of blue or earth tones. It's really just meaningless labelling again, but try wearing a pink or purple tie to work and see the effect it has.

I doubt there is any physiological reason why men and women prefer different colours.

Balcanoid
05-17-2007, 04:09 PM
It can be explained by the fact blue represents cold colors (cold, stable, calculate as a men from the past should be) and pink or violet are warm ones (as a women) ...
Then again, what color does represent TG`s?

TheOne1
05-17-2007, 06:37 PM

green

SarahG
05-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Funny thing about the babies & pink/blue blankets... one of my past professors had a story about that, she had a boy and the hospitol only had a pink blanket to wrap it in at the time, and a nurse walked in, saw the pink blanket and asked how the daughter was; the mom kept saying "no its a boy" but the nurse wouldn't believe her, based solely on the pink blanket and opted to assume the mom was just drugged and mistaken rather than to think the blanket was the "wrong color."

Kriss
05-18-2007, 12:37 AM

green

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THE WORD "BROWN" FOR EXAMPLE REALLY SEEMS KINDA YELLOW. IT means 'BROWN' BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE LETTERS, THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE WORD FOR LONG ENOUGH, YOU GET MORE OF A 'MUSTARDY-YELLOW' VIBE.

kambiid2005
05-18-2007, 03:38 AM
So it really shouldn't matter if you are a boy and you think of the colour pink as any other colour ...In other words a gay man wearing pink shirt is not wearing it because of his sexuality but he is wearing pink only because society expects that of a gay man?

TomSelis
05-18-2007, 06:04 AM
Here's the history of pink n' blue

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=238733

kambiid2005
05-18-2007, 12:55 PM
That was very informative thank you...
I grew up in east asia..and in my younger years I was not aware of any colours for specific gender. It was only after I started watching western tv sitcoms and movies that I started to think of colour as gender specific and I was reluctant to wear pink shirts.