PDA

View Full Version : why do we care so much about celebrities?

General Disarray
05-15-2007, 03:27 AM
The today show has up to the minute news on Paris hilton's sentence, but I have not heard Darfur or Sudan cross any of their lips.

why are we more in fatuated with I love New York 2 on VH1 than solving the crisis in Iraq?

Are you fascinated with celebrities?
why?
penis?

Mishra101
05-15-2007, 03:30 AM
I have better things to do than care about someone else's life other than my family and friends.

General Disarray
05-15-2007, 03:30 AM
I have better things to do than care about someone else's life other than my family and friends.
but so many other people think differently, why?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-15-2007, 03:35 AM
actually no one really gives a fuck except for those that make money on ratings and publishing sales

if you locked up every tv exec, news editor, and paparazzi photographer for a week the rest of the world would produce some of the best news ever in existence

Mishra101
05-15-2007, 03:36 AM
but so many other people think differently, why?

Jealousy\bored. Have you ever just wanted to stare at someone to see what they were doing and or how they acted? Well on TV you can! lol

TJ347
05-15-2007, 03:37 AM
Because most people like to preoccupy their minds with nonsense, not coming up with solutions to world problems, or even personal ones. That's why.

ezed
05-15-2007, 06:44 AM
WHY DO I CARE ABOUT CELEBRITIES? BECAUSE ALL THE MEDIA ALL THE TIME TELLS ME ABOUT THEM! I'VE COME TO BE ONE WITH THEM, THEY ARE MY FAMILY..............Though they never acknowlege me at the dessert counter of "The Old Country Buffet"............BUT I STILL LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Because people in general are nosy! Star struck, wannabes and loves (craves) drama's. LOL :P

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Fox
05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
My grandmother was here yesterday for Mother's Day and had her tabloid paper with her. She said it keeps her stimulated. She is almost 70, though, but you'd never guess to look at her.

Oprah brought this topic up not that long ago and someone said something (if I recall) about us as a society living vicariously through celebs, which is why we know more about Brad and Angelina than we do about international issues. And, of course, the media is a huge factor.

I'm thinking about cutting the evening news out of my life completely. I don't need it for weather, thanks to the "innanets," I certainly don't give a shit about Paris, Britney, Lindsay, whoever else. I get about as much worldly news talking to my 7 year old brother as I do from evening news (exaggerated, yes, but you get my point).

One of the little ironies about the celeb thing is that other countries are very familiar with our celebs, but I don't think the reverse is true outside of niche cliques.

TanyaShevenal
05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
i noticed that today, so much talk about her.

is anyone else outraged by the little amount of time they gave her? or is that just me?

Fox
05-15-2007, 08:38 AM
It's not just you. Something ironic about Paris, is that's she's famous for nothing. She's heir to the Hilton hotel line, but what the hell has she actually done? Sure, there was The Simple Life and apparently she has some cd or whatnot, but my question still stands. :lol:

TanyaShevenal
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Seriously though, 45 days or something?

Anyone else would be put in their for a year or more, and even then someone with a less harmful crime might be in there for 2-5 years.

I used to be a serious advocate in the whole Marijuana issue, while I don't smoke it anymore, the fact that people would be arrested for a single use and up to 2 years in jail for the possession is retarded. Especially when used in a safe manner around other people.

DUI's while influcned by anything, weed, alcohol, and even road head(bad attempt at a joke? haha), can take more lives than someone on a couch smoking marijuana.

scorpion
05-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Im not fascinated with celebrities at al. I realy dont care what they do or buy and who they go to bed whit. I like them if they are good actors or good musicants and singers. Theirs private life means nothing four mee.

yodajazz
05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
We get so much information on them, that we either indentify with them, or define ourselves by the contrast with them. They become real people to us. Then people wonder things like, "what were they thinking when they did that?"

I think it is natural to connect to human lives. Those not into mainstream media are probably discussing what their relatives are up to. We have our celebrities here on HA, or in the TS community. I once pm'ed someone here with my own pschological profile of Monica Foxx. I never met her, of course. I just wondered what the contorversy was about, and did some research.

I have also written about Iraq and politics, but the issues are often too complex for many people to discuss rationally. The Politics Forum usually ends up with name calling, worse than anything our ladies say when they argue.

ska
05-15-2007, 02:32 PM
I agree, a total waste of a persons time to be obsessed with celebs. Ofcourse we all have our obsessions, tgirls anyone? lol.

But the point is true. I just enjoy their movies or their music or whatever it is they do and leave their personal life out of it. Now I'll admit when they do something terrible (ala Michael Jackson) it does affect my thoughts on them. But dui, cocaine use, whatever else they do stupid, thats their business.

mbf
05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
oh, do we? i definitely dont.

trish
05-15-2007, 04:14 PM
i only like female celebs when photoshop whiz-kids draw big dripping penises on them...otherwise i've got better things to waste my time on

yodajazz
05-16-2007, 01:08 AM
Stalking rights?

So what are you saying Ms. Dupree?

scorpion
05-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Stalking rights?

Hi..When did you change you name? I like it..real sensuell so it fits you.

Quinn
05-16-2007, 01:50 AM
It's been my experience that people who get all hung up on celebrities – and the concept of celebrity in general – usually want to be celebrities themselves, even if that will never happen. By and large, I find most, though certainly not all, celebrities to be thoroughly underwhelming and uninteresting.

-Quinn

BooooYaaaaCheeee
05-16-2007, 02:46 AM
so ya first time posting, long time viewer.

it really does piss me off that i actually know whats goin on with all these other peoples lives that contribute little or nothing to society, all because of the media constantly yammering on about celebrities. fuckin a.

trannybanger
05-16-2007, 02:49 AM
jim cramer? is that you?