PDA

View Full Version : LA Times Sports writer becomes a woman

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-14-2007, 01:42 AM
'It Stuns Me'

Christine Daniels wasn't eager to tell her readers at the Los Angeles Times about her new life. Then the e-mails came in.

By Lorraine Ali
By Web Exclusive
Newsweek
Updated: 1:11 p.m. PT May 12, 2007

May 13, 2007 - Christine Daniels is the Los Angeles Times's newest sports columnist. Well, she's not exactly new. As Mike Penner, she joined the Times 23 years ago to write about sports and became one of the paper's most respected columnists. But on April 26, Daniels told readers that Mike Penner was going on vacation and would return as Christine Daniels. She's not back on the job yet, but Daniels is currently writing about her new self in the "Woman in Progress" blog for the Times’s Web site. She granted one of very few interviews to NEWSWEEK's Lorraine Ali.

NEWSWEEK: You came out as transgender in your final column under the Mike Penner byline. That was incredibly courageous—though pretty shocking for most of your longtime readers. Was that your idea?

Christine Daniels: There was no way in the world I wanted to do that column. I tried talking [the LA Times] out of it. I didn't want to make this public. Two weeks before that column ran I was thinking of quitting the Times. I talked to editors in other sections—the Calendar and Image sections—and I was watching the Susan Stanton case from afar. [Stanton, city manager in Largo, Fla., for 17 years, was fired after it became known she was transitioning.]

So putting your own story out there must have been incredibly unnerving?

Yes. Especially since I am an extremely shy, private person. Mike would never do interviews. I had a hard time putting two or three sentences together, which I found out was largely due to my gender issues. But Randy Harvey, my sports editor, was supportive from the start. He said this is a news story, we have it, we can control the information and we don't want what happened to Susan Stanton to happen here. I agreed with that. Then it became a matter of how do we do this? We thought about maybe having another columnist interview me and write about it; then we both decided if anyone was going to write this piece, it was going to be me. Then we talked about where to put it. I would have preferred to have it buried under the classified ads, the last page possible, somewhere in the middle on the Sunday magazine. I said please keep it off A1. So we decided on page two of sports, alongside my last "Morning Briefing" column as Mike.

Was it the most difficult column you've ever written?

It came very quickly to me. I'm usually a really tortured writer, but the first five paragraphs I wrote I was happy with. I slept on it, and the next day, the rest came very quickly. I tried not to dwell on the idea that a lot of people were going to read this story and it was probably going to be out there a long time. I just didn't feel that pressure when I wrote it. It was free from the heart. Once they saw it, I had people tell me it was the best thing I'd ever written. As it turned out, it was one of the best days of my life, but I was braced for the worst.

It'd be different if you were a fashion writer, but as a sports columnist, it makes sense that you expected a major blowback.

I have a friend, Emilio Garcia-Ruiz. He's a sports editor of The Washington Post. When I told him a few months ago I was transsexual and I was trying to figure out how to transition, his first reaction was, “Could you have picked a worse profession to try and do this in?” Have I been wrestling this all my career? Yes. If I wasn't a sportswriter at the LA Times I would have done this years ago. But it was always “How the hell do I do this?”

More on this at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18615905/site/newsweek/page/2/
__________________________________________________ ___________

~Kisses.

HTG

wendy48088
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Found this:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oldmike26apr26,0,2709943.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Old Mike, new Christine
By Mike Penner, Times Staff Writer
April 26, 2007

During my 23 years with The Times' sports department, I have held a wide variety of roles and titles. Tennis writer. Angels beat reporter. Olympics writer. Essayist. Sports media critic. NFL columnist. Recent keeper of the Morning Briefing flame.

Today I leave for a few weeks' vacation, and when I return, I will come back in yet another incarnation.

As Christine.

I am a transsexual sportswriter. It has taken more than 40 years, a million tears and hundreds of hours of soul-wrenching therapy for me to work up the courage to type those words. I realize many readers and colleagues and friends will be shocked to read them.

That's OK. I understand that I am not the only one in transition as I move from Mike to Christine. Everyone who knows me and my work will be transitioning as well. That will take time. And that's all right. To borrow a piece of well-worn sports parlance, we will take it one day at a time.

Transsexualism is a complicated and widely misunderstood medical condition. It is a natural occurrence — unusual, no question, but natural.

Recent studies have shown that such physiological factors as genetics and hormonal fluctuations during pregnancy can significantly affect how our brains are "wired" at birth.

As extensive therapy and testing have confirmed, my brain was wired female.

A transgender friend provided the best and simplest explanation I have heard: We are born with this, we fight it as long as we can, and in the end it wins.

I gave it as good a fight as I possibly could. I went more than 40 hard rounds with it. Eventually, though, you realize you are only fighting yourself and your happiness and your mental health — a no-win situation any way you look at it.

When you reach the point when one gender causes heartache and unbearable discomfort, and the other brings more joy and fulfillment than you ever imagined possible, it shouldn't take two tons of bricks to fall in order to know what to do.

It didn't with me.

With me, all it took was 1.99 tons.

For more years than I care to count, I was scared to death over the prospect of writing a story such as this one. It was the most frightening of all the towering mountains of fear I somehow had to confront and struggle to scale.

How do you go about sharing your most important truth, one you spent a lifetime trying to keep deeply buried, to a world that has grown familiar and comfortable with your façade?

To a world whose knowledge of transsexuals usually begins and ends with Jerry Springer's exploitation circus?

Painfully and reluctantly, I began the coming-out process a few months ago. To my everlasting amazement, friends and colleagues almost universally have been supportive and encouraging, often breaking the tension with good-natured doses of humor.

When I told my boss Randy Harvey, he leaned back in his chair, looked through his office window to scan the newsroom and mused, "Well, no one can ever say we don't have diversity on this staff."

When I told Robert, the soccer-loving lad from Wales who cuts my hair, why I wanted to start growing my hair out, he had to take a seat, blink hard a few times and ask, "Does this mean you don't like football anymore, Mike?"

No, I had to assure him, I still love soccer. I will continue to watch it. I hope to continue to coach it.

My days of playing in men's over-30 rec leagues, however, could be numbered.

When I told Eric, who has played sweeper behind my plodding stopper for more than a decade, he brightly suggested, "Well, you're still good for co-ed!"

I broke the news to Tim by beginning, "Are you familiar with the movie 'Transamerica'?" Tim nodded. "Well, welcome to my life," I said.

Tim seemed more perplexed than most as I nervously launched into my story.

Finally, he had to explain, "I thought you said 'Trainspotting.' I thought you were going to tell me you're a heroin addict."

People have asked if transitioning will affect my writing. And if so, how?

All I can say at this point is that I am now happier, more focused and more energized when I sit behind a keyboard. The wicked writer's block that used to reach up and torture me at some of the worst possible times imaginable has disappeared.

My therapist says this is what happens when a transsexual finally "integrates" and the ever-present white noise in the background dissipates.

That should come as good news to my editors: far fewer blown deadlines.

So now we all will take a short break between bylines. "Mike Penner" is out, "Christine Daniels" soon will be taking its place.

From here, it feels like a big improvement. I hope with time you will agree.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

----

Also found Christine Daniels blog "WomanInProgress":

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/womaninprogress/

Christine Daniels is a veteran sportswriter who has worked at the Los Angeles Times for 23 years -- as Mike Penner. Christine shocked many readers on April 27, 2007, when she announced her decision to change gender. She will be blogging about her transition over the days to come.

peggygee
05-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm tweaking code in the middle of the night, been at the computer for
16 hours.

But thank you both for the info.

I will check it on the morrow.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/popcorn.jpg

DavidLynch
05-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm a big sports fan and read the LA Times. Go Christine!

8)