PDA

View Full Version : (Off Topic) Barbecue

Quinn
05-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Today, I'm going to Connecticut for a barbecue at my brother-in-law’s place. The guy makes what I consider to be some of the best barbecued chicken anywhere. The sauce he makes to put on the chicken is just ridiculously good, which certainly contributes to barbecued chicken (not to mention his barbecued venison sausage) being one of my top-ten favorite foods.

What's the point of my inane, non-transsexual oriented blathering? It's this: what is your favorite barbecued food? Does anyone have any good recipes that they care to share?

whatsupwithat
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Can I come with you? That way we could argue about Giuliani and get some good BBQ.

mikejones
05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Pork tenderloin is my favorite. I like to experiment with different marinades/rubs. Just be careful not to cook it too much and dry it out.

tsntx
05-13-2007, 07:36 PM
i hate bbq

TheOne1
05-13-2007, 07:38 PM
the endless beer cooler is always nice...even if it is nady ice

flabbybody
A barbeque must include burgers and dogs, or else I'm not satisfyed. forget all the fancy expensive stuff people throw on the grill. and don't forget the buns.
The only other thing I require is baked beans, and the brand must be Heinz. My sister jazzes them up with brown sugar, ketsup (also must be Heinz), and dijon mustard. throw them in the oven for 10 minutes.
cole slaw/potatoe salad is optional.

TanyaShevenal
its not really a saucey food, but its cooked at bbq's and thats any kind of bratwurst. boiled, steamed, and grilled, favorite food. ever.

matqc20
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I usualy wait till the rib steaks or t-bones go on sale and go out and buy like 20 for the whole summer. I go and see the butcher and ask him to cut them so that they are 1" thick. I also like some good beef tournedos and spicy texan chicken breasts. A good combinaison of potatoes, carrots, oignons and any other vegetable mixed up with some chicken flavored bovril all placed in an aluminium plate on the grill makes a good side dish.

chefmike
05-13-2007, 07:46 PM
BBQ rule 1: True BBQ is cooked over wood or charcoal, gas grills are for amateurs.

BBQ rule 2: Always use a charcoal chimney or similar method to start your fire, lighter fluid is for amateurs.

I'd like to add more, and maybe I will later, but I've got some yardwork to take care of, and then I'm firing up my smoker grill...

And if you want to experience real pork BBQ, you gotta head south...NC or SC, with an honorable mention to Tennessee...unless you want BBQ brisket, go to Texas for that...

Quinn
05-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Can I come with you? That way we could argue about Giuliani and get some good BBQ.

LOL... That would be cool as hell.

-Quinn

matqc20
05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
BBQ rule 1: True BBQ is cooked over wood or charcoal, gas grills are for amateurs.

BBQ rule 2: Always use a charcoal chimney or similar method to start your fire, lighter fluid is for amateurs.

Co-Sign 8)

Quinn
05-13-2007, 07:53 PM

To his credit, my brother-in-law uses charcoal. Unfortunately, in keeping with my inability to cook most things well (the English side of my family is truly cursed in this regard), I'm a gas grill guy. Doh!!!!!!!

-Quinn

matqc20
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM

To his credit, my brother-in-law uses charcoal. Unfortunately, in keeping with my inability to cook most things well (the English side of my family is truly cursed in this regard), I'm a gas grill guy. Doh!!!!!!!

-Quinn

Gas grills are what the "average joe" uses cause thats the most common type of grill you'll find in an hardware store. It still is OK and does the job... but once you've tryed a good charcoal or wood grill you won't ever go back. I love the flavour you get when cooking over wood. The smoke gives your meal an exceptional taste.

TheOne1
05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
i do bbq with hot water and ramen noodles....chicken flavor.
i spice it up a little with sausage

chefmike
05-13-2007, 08:00 PM
I will concede that gas is convenient, the old school methods take more time, but that's half the fun for me!

And if you haven't tried BBQ tuna, it's great...no rub needed, just a basting with your favorite sauce...I think that the vinegary Carolina styles suit BBQ tuna best.

LTR_Seeker
05-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Make some beef brisket im there & tsntx you must go mad then in bbq mad state lol

chefmike
05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
And as far as chicken goes, I smoke whole chickens with rosemary branches and pecan shells and it's off the charts!

matqc20
05-13-2007, 08:20 PM
I was just thinking about this.... I just started a new job as a wine/liquor consultant/seller for the Quebec association of wines and alcools. What are your favorite wines when you BBQ, if you drink it with chicken or with steak.
I've personnaly discovered a really good Australian Semillon-chardonnay named Jacob's creek wich is pretty cheap and matches perfectly with lemon marinated chicken. I also love the Weingarten wine from Alsace,France wich is great with chicken but it is a little more expensive. For a good steak with pepper sauce I like to drink some Palandri, cabernet-sauvignon/merlot. Any other wine enthusiasts? I'd like to have some feedback on this to try some new wines and be able to suggest them to customers. I'd also like to know what you look for "in a wine" for this type of meal.

MacShreach
05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
I will concede that gas is convenient, the old school methods take more time, but that's half the fun for me!

And if you haven't tried BBQ tuna, it's great...no rub needed, just a basting with your favorite sauce...I think that the vinegary Carolina styles suit BBQ tuna best.

Tuna! Yeah! And salmon, uhuh, whole side of salmon right on there with some nice herb butter to baste, yup yup. Langoustines (big prawns) good too......Sorry, gotta go eat!

TomSelis
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm a fan of Brazilian/Argentine style Rodizio and a steak with Chimichurri on the side!

As far as American style, gotta give it up to Texas style, I could eat a brisket w/ a good sauce, beans and cole slaw every day for a year.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Hmm..I love me some korean and mongolian BBQ! ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Balcanoid
05-13-2007, 09:03 PM
i hate bbq

...hater..... 8)

Quinn: here`s a tip on bbq. maybe U`ll need it, who knows ... :shrug

peggygee
05-13-2007, 09:17 PM

~Kisses.

HTG

Great minds think alike. I'm a fan as well. 8)

And though I try to curb my pork intake, I can
go for some good pork spareribs. I have also
been kicking it with beef ribs, it's close but no
cigar.

But I love BBQ. :wink:

matqc20
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
cigar.

Once again peggygee a nice and wise post. Ribs are my favorite meal. Baby-back BBQ ribs send me to heaven.

peggygee
05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Once again peggygee a nice and wise post. Ribs are my favorite meal. Baby-back BBQ ribs send me to heaven.

I think that will be my Sunday dinner, ribs replete with collard greens,
and baked maccorini and cheese. Hmmn, maybe some corn bread as
well. :P

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-13-2007, 11:47 PM

~Kisses.

HTG

Great minds think alike. I'm a fan as well. 8)

cigar.

Thanks girlie. Glad to hear we both love Korean and Mongolian BBQ. Now whenever youre in LA holla girl cos I know where the best korean and mongolian BBQ resto's around! ;)

Kebab (beef) aint that bad either. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

Quinn
05-14-2007, 03:44 AM
i hate bbq

...hater..... 8)

Quinn: here`s a tip on bbq. maybe U`ll need it, who knows ... :shrug

Too funny. That's an example of natural selection at work if I've ever seen it. And what's with the video guy's retarded laughter? One word to sum it all up: nice..............

-Quinn

TsVanessa69
05-14-2007, 03:48 AM

Lets eeeeaaaatt! I'm hungry as hell now, but can't cook for shit :twisted:

peggygee
05-14-2007, 07:11 AM

Lets eeeeaaaatt! I'm hungry as hell now, but can't cook for shit :twisted:

Girl, I love to eat too much, not to know how to cook. :wink:

I learned from Grandma, Mom, and my Aunties, and then perfected
my skillz through the years.

Tonight I had everything but the cornbread, had dinner with the Sopranos.

Had cocanut cake for dessert, and I'm lounging on the couch. 8)

chefmike
05-22-2007, 01:50 AM
I just ran across this article which breaks down the differences in US BBQ styles pretty well...and BTW, when legendary French chef Paul Bucose was asked what he ate when visiting the US, he replied "barbecue"...

Many people divide barbecue sauces and styles into four regional categories: Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis and Texas.

Carolina style is almost always made from slow-cooked pulled pork, and tends to have a sharper taste thanks to its vinegar-based sauce. Sometimes there's a bit more tomato to it, making it sweeter, but "tangy" is the best word.

In Kansas City, barbecue is often pork, but can be beef as well, and the sauce is sweet and thick (think K.C. Masterpiece). It's what most people who get their definition of barbecue from the supermarket's sauce aisle think of.

If it's Memphis-style, the barbecue is probably ribs, with a sweet sauce that's not quite as thick as K.C. style. In some versions there's no sauce at all, just a dry rub.

And Texas-style tends to use more beef than pork, as you might expect. The phrase "Texas-style barbecue" refers more to the method of cooking than the sauce. It's slow, often taking hours over a very low heat. A rub of spices is more common than barbecue sauce. If it is used, that sauce tends towards the lighter tomato variety.

These four styles are what you'll hear a lot of barbecuers referring to, but -- despite the conventional wisdom of separating barbecue with geographic lines -- Lake High, president of the South Carolina Barbeque Association, says it's about sauce, not state.

"There is only one real way to describe it, since the regions have a tendency to overlap, especially at the edges," he said.

For the aficionado, according to High, there are four kinds of barbecue sauce: mustard, vinegar, heavy tomato and light tomato.

"North Carolina has three sauces, so you can't divide that into only one state," he explained. "And South Carolina has four which also defies a state by state division."

The only time that I do BBQ at the bistro is if I want to shake things up with a BBQ fish lunch special with a bit of a southern twist.

It's usually BBQ tuna, mahi, or shrimp & scallops paired with slow cooked mustard greens and ham hocks, maybe some hoppin' john or my 'redneck ratatouille'(which is kicked-up succotash), and something like garlic and roasted-pepper grits, or a spicy cornbread...

But if you want to BBQ fish, try taking the BBQ sauce that you are using and add some pureed mango, a little cider or white vinegar, and perhaps some jerk seasoning...

If I'm BBQing at home, it's usually pork. BBQ pork is more about the rub than the sauce for me...so many times I will just use a good commercial Carolina-style sauce, and have my fun making the rub...I also have a great shortcut method for cooking great ribs at home if you need one...

But here are some basic BBQ sauce recipes from the same article...the fun is in tweaking them until you have a sauce that you want to call your own!

CAROLINA STYLE
1 cup plain vinegar
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 drops of lemon juice

KANSAS CITY STYLE
1 tsp. salt
3 cups canned beef broth
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbsp. chili powder
3 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. sage
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. tumeric
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Blend all together in a large saucepan and simmer for 1 12 hours.

TEXAS STYLE
2 med. onions, chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 Tbsp. celery seed, crushed with hammer
2 Tbsp. butter
1 clove of garlic chopped fine
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 cup cider or white vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp. cumin seed, crushed
Saute onion, garlic in oil in large saucepan until golden and tender about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cook 1 minute.
Add all remaining ingredients except butter and bring to boiling. Lower heat and simmer uncovered, stirring often for 30 minutes. Stir in butter. Make about 4 1/2 cups and will keep for months in the refrigerator.

MEMPHIS STYLE
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup (12 stick) margarine or butter
2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1/4 cup molasses, optional
1/2 to 1 tsp. red pepper sauce, optional
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, margarine or butter, mustard, salt and pepper. If desired, add the molasses and/or red pepper sauce. Bring to a boil over low heat. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer about 10 minutes. Makes about 3 cups

TJT
05-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Peggy,I come from a long line of green's eaters. Of course I was the one who couldn't stand them.

I used to hate coming home after the first good frost and Grandma would be cookin' that first mess of fresh greens. The house would stink to high heaven from the greens cooking and the effect eating them had on all my relatives? I used to spend a good chunk of winter in the cellar to escape the stench.

TomSelis
05-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Bwah? Greens smell?

TJT
05-22-2007, 06:37 AM
They do when you cook 'em.

marmariser
05-25-2007, 11:04 PM
ya tell

muhmuh
05-26-2007, 01:00 AM

id disagree and say that anything else than ethanol and compressed air at at least 5 bar is for amateurs

dskreet2
05-26-2007, 01:14 AM
I like quick food like hot links, hot dogs, polishes burgers. You don't have to fool with bones, flabby fat, grissle. Just eat it and go.

chefmike
05-26-2007, 01:41 AM

id disagree and say that anything else than ethanol and compressed air at at least 5 bar is for amateurs

Blasphemy!

Is it any wonder that civilization is going to hell in a handbasket?