PDA

View Full Version : Best culinary creation of all time? Your top picks.

LG
05-06-2007, 06:29 PM
We've already looked at the worst, but what food item or dish- in your view- is the greatest ever created?

Personally, I feel indebted to the Italians for risotto and for pasta but also for pizza ( I don't like American-style pizzas much). Kudos to both Mexico for creating chilli and the Americans for perfecting it, to the Chinese for dimsum, for noodles and for oyster sauce, the Japanese for sushi and to India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and the UK for bringing curry to the world. The national dish of the UK is no longer roast beef or fish and chips but chicken tikka.

But if I were to pick 5 right now (in no order):
Beef in oyster sauce,
paella Valenciana,
hard tacos with ground beef,
spaghetti aglio e olio and
dimsum dumplings made with rice flour.

Special mentions: parsnip crisps, wild rice soup, Provencal pumpkin soup, Louisiana hot sauce (not a dish but a food item), british pork sausages, gravy (the British kind).

As for desserts, sum of the creamy Middle Eastern desserts are to die for. As are some of the British puddings.

TheOne1
05-06-2007, 06:30 PM
tostones and mayokatchup

alyss_heart
05-06-2007, 06:35 PM
We've already looked at the worst, but what food item or dish- in your view- is the greatest ever created?

5 that come immediately to mind:

Paneer Makhani
Dal Makhani
Pho
Ham Torta
The Döner

Yummmmmmmmy!

DJ_Asia
05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
PB&J

hondarobot
05-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Alright LG, now you're just trying to get me mad. Chili from Mexico, bah.

Chili (the meal) did in fact originate in the Southwest U.S. If you happen to believe the story of Sister Mary of Agreda you could possibly say that technically the recipe for Chili came from Spain. Unfortunately for this line of thinking, you'd have to also allow for the existence of astrally projecting nuns, and in which case nobody would listen to you anyways.

Chile peppers (which are not peppers at all, but you can blame old Chris Columbus for that one) are found all over the world, but are used very differently in traditional Mexican meals. It's generally believed that Chili was invented by old west coyboys who pounded chiles with meat as a form of pemican for the trail, or that they planted chiles along their cattle routes and harvested them along the way, cooking them up with beef from the cattle they were driving.

There's also the Chili Queens of San Antonio and all sorts of interesting bits of the history of this nearly perfect dish, but you'll have to look that up yourself. Better yet, wait until I win the International Chili Competition and publish my Chili making handbook. It will contain all anyone needs to know (and more) on the subject.

Oh, and for my pick of best meal: at the moment it's my own Chile Salsa Con Queso. I made the base for some this morning, and after work I'm cooking it up.

Damn good food.

Quinn
05-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I’m very particular about how these might be prepared, but I favor the following:

1. Ceviche.
2. Salmon Sushi.
3. Filet Mignon.
4. Venison Sausage.
5. Baked Calimari.

I also like lobster, crab, rabbit, duck, ostrich, and most any chicken dish (especially Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Francse).

-Quinn

LG
05-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm not one to argue hondarobot, but Wikipedia says:

Many argue that chili was invented in Mexico during the 1840s, as a replacement for pemmican; others place its origin in Tijuana, Baja California, or Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico.

The Mexican origin theory holds that it was created as a complimentary dish served at cantinas, especially to please outsiders, who wanted something spicy and "Mexican" to eat, but also free or cheap. It was made with leftovers from the meals prepared in the cantina and served for free to drinking customers.

The Americanized recipe consisted of dried beef, suet, dried chili peppers (usually chilipiquenes), and salt, which were pounded together and left to dry into bricks, which could then be boiled in pots on the trail. An alternative, and more widely-accepted theory, holds that chili con carne was born in Ensenada, Mexico in the 1880s as a way of stretching available meat in the kitchens of poor Tejanos.

"San Antonio Chili Stand" was in operation at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, which helped spread a taste for chili to other parts of the country. San Antonio was a significant tourist destination and helped Texas-style chili con carne spread throughout the South and West.

While the origins of chili con carne properly appear to be Mexico with American influence, there is significant evidence that the original idea and recipe stems from Spanish conquistadors who came to Mexico in the 16th century

Wikipedia also says:

The chili pepper, or more simply just "chili", is the fruit of species of the plant Capsicum from the nightshade family, Solanaceae.

The name, which is spelled differently in many regions (chili, chile or chilli), comes from Nahuatl via the Spanish word chile. The term chili in most of the world refers exclusively to the smaller, hot types of capsicum. The mild larger types are called bell pepper in the USA, simply pepper in Britain and Ireland, capsicum in Australasia and paprika in many European countries.

Chili peppers and their various cultivars originate in the Americas; they are now grown around the world because they are widely used as spices or vegetables in cuisine, and as medicine.

Like I said, I'm not one to argue. Either way, a well-made, slow-cooked chili can be a very special meal indeed.

Enjoy your meal, by the way. Perhaps one day you might give us a recipe?

chefmike
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Corned beef hash, 3 eggs over easy, and whole wheat toast...that's what I'm having for breakfast, anyway...and I think that I'll also have a redeye...or two...

hondarobot
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm not one to argue hondarobot, but Wikipedia says:

Many argue that chili was invented in Mexico during the 1840s, as a replacement for pemmican; others place its origin in Tijuana, Baja California, or Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico.

The Mexican origin theory holds that it was created as a complimentary dish served at cantinas, especially to please outsiders, who wanted something spicy and "Mexican" to eat, but also free or cheap. It was made with leftovers from the meals prepared in the cantina and served for free to drinking customers.

The Americanized recipe consisted of dried beef, suet, dried chili peppers (usually chilipiquenes), and salt, which were pounded together and left to dry into bricks, which could then be boiled in pots on the trail. An alternative, and more widely-accepted theory, holds that chili con carne was born in Ensenada, Mexico in the 1880s as a way of stretching available meat in the kitchens of poor Tejanos.

"San Antonio Chili Stand" was in operation at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, which helped spread a taste for chili to other parts of the country. San Antonio was a significant tourist destination and helped Texas-style chili con carne spread throughout the South and West.

While the origins of chili con carne properly appear to be Mexico with American influence, there is significant evidence that the original idea and recipe stems from Spanish conquistadors who came to Mexico in the 16th century

Wikipedia also says:

The chili pepper, or more simply just "chili", is the fruit of species of the plant Capsicum from the nightshade family, Solanaceae.

The name, which is spelled differently in many regions (chili, chile or chilli), comes from Nahuatl via the Spanish word chile. The term chili in most of the world refers exclusively to the smaller, hot types of capsicum. The mild larger types are called bell pepper in the USA, simply pepper in Britain and Ireland, capsicum in Australasia and paprika in many European countries.

Chili peppers and their various cultivars originate in the Americas; they are now grown around the world because they are widely used as spices or vegetables in cuisine, and as medicine.

Like I said, I'm not one to argue. Either way, a well-made, slow-cooked chili can be a very special meal indeed.

Enjoy your meal, by the way. Perhaps one day you might give us a recipe?

Fair enough LG, but you should keep in mind that chili isn't just a meal or a recipe, it's an entire culture. Nobody really knows where chili came from except for the first person who ever made it. That person is either dead now or a shadowy immortal wandering the earth and keeping his or her mouth shut about the whole deal.

Chili is: standing around, drinking a beer and puffing a cigar while a cauldron bubbles over an open fire. It's more myth and folk tale then actual history or science. That's what I'm working on, a definative history of American Chili that's told in the form of completely absurd tall tales that have no basis in reality, but make for some good stories to tell at competitions and cook offs.

History is the propaganda of the victors. I'm working on it right now. Then you can have some recipes.

specialk
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Homemade chicken and dumplings...........miss you mom!!

TrynMilkMe
05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Anything sushi! (What can I say but I love fish!)
Lasagna (not lasagne...that is an abomination!)
Fiesta Taco Salad.
12 oz. steak, baked potato, and any random vegetable.
Anything cooked at home that I didn't cook. :wink: All holiday meals, casseroles, meatloaf, basically anything I can't do for myself. The microwave is my major cooking device. :(

TomSelis
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Pancakes!!!

chefmike
05-06-2007, 07:43 PM
PB&JIf you ever find yourself in the southern US, try the peanut soup...and of course the BBQ...and also the hush puppies...and don't forget the black-eyed peas with ham-hocks...

BeardedOne
05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
PB&J

From one that grew up thinking that bread was blue, this could come in a close second to my choice (And when they came out with the ready-mixed microwavable variety it proved, beyond a doubt, that there really is a God and he is a bachelor!):

TJT
05-06-2007, 09:21 PM
East Carolina BBQ.
Kung Pao Chicken
Enchiladas Suizas
Green Beans w/fatback like they make in the southern Appalachians.Cooked all day long and biscuits to sop up the pot liquor.This time of year there are ramps to add to the pot for that extra zing. It would kill a flatlander.
Burgoo. W/o the mutton they ruin it with in Kentucky.

LG
05-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Lasagna (not lasagne...that is an abomination!)

:?: Please explain...

chefmike
05-06-2007, 10:00 PM
This time of year there are ramps to add to the pot for that extra zing.

It's funny that a plant that used to be associated with Appalachian coal-miners is becoming quite popular now, and deservedly so. I've even seen ramps used on 'Iron Chef' a few times...

Felicia Katt
05-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Pancakes!!!

my fave too. short stack, no butter, maple syrup :)

FK

chefmike
05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Louisiana hot sauce (not a dish but a food item)

Louisiana makes some fine hot sauces, but my favorite hot sauce is 'Cholula' from Mexico for table use. I also find 'sriracha hot chili sauce' aka 'tuong ot sriracha' indispensible as far as my kitchen pantry goes, as do many other chefs. That plastic bottle with the green cap can be found in many kitchens nowadays...great stuff, great flavor.

osna
05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
HAGGIS from Scotland, yummy!!

chefmike
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Anthony Bourdain said that he enjoyed haggis, and that's good enough for me...I'd love to try it.

kalina
05-07-2007, 07:33 AM
toro tuna tartare
seared foie gras
miso glazed Chilean sea bass
my mother's scallop and shrimp dumplings
lobster bisque

MacShreach
05-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Anthony Bourdain said that he enjoyed haggis, and that's good enough for me...I'd love to try it.

US Meat importation rules cause problems but this outfit make a very good tinned haggis that should be okay for US customs (tho' they are a law unto themselves...)

Grant Bros. (Meat Canners) Ltd., Richmond Bridge, Galston KA4 8JU Scotland (UK) (at the moment)

Or, even better, make your own--

http://www.netcooks.com/recipes/Lamb/Haggis.html

enjoy.

matqc20
05-07-2007, 02:38 PM
PB&J

I second that!

I'd also add...

Tourtičre
Pâté ŕ la viande
Pâté chinois
Poutine

LG
05-07-2007, 08:32 PM

It's quite good actually. I tried it in Edinburgh. Reminded me a little of meatloaf. On Burns night the Scots have it with "neeps and tatties" and recite a poem dedicated to it by Robert Burns.

Bourdain is a great writer as well as an inspiring chef.

cueball
05-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

1. Linguini with White Clam Sauce
2. Roast Pork Tenderloin w/ baked Sweet Potato and side of Turnip Greens
3. Boiled Crayfish
4. Ribs (Pork and Beef)
5. Barbecued Brisket
6. T-bone Steak with all the trimmings
7. Beef Liver smothered in onions with a side of fried Okra
8. My sisters Green Bean Casserole
9. Roast Turkey with Cornbread Dressing
10.Chicken(Just about anyway it can be cooked)
11. Catfish

Man, am I hungry! :D

llemming
05-09-2007, 05:18 AM
i imagine geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck") clam would appeal to most on this board... :wink:

BeardedOne
05-09-2007, 06:36 AM
i imagine geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck") clam would appeal to most on this board... :wink:

I now understand that Ask Maridee comic where Bert describes them as looking like "...an elephant's ding-dong.". :lol:

TJ347
05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Criadillas fritas. :shock: