PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS THE Worst culinary creation of all time

Kriss
05-06-2007, 04:07 AM
so quinn thinks cucumber sandwiches are "Worst culinary creation of all time.-Quinn"

something about the way the nasty , cotton wool whitebread sticks to the roof of the mouth...............

so what is truly the worst?

surely HOT DOGS??????

Darkwing Duck
05-06-2007, 04:08 AM
I cannot stand potato salad, but to each their own.

tombessence
05-06-2007, 04:15 AM
pickled testicles

peggygee
05-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Chitterlings!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/chitterlings5x4.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/chit5x6.jpg

MrsKellyPierce
05-06-2007, 04:37 AM
NO hot dogs are awesome especially corndogs!!

Kriss
05-06-2007, 04:46 AM
Chitterlings!

PORK? i think we call them "pork scratchings"

Quinn
05-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Allow me to restate my opposition to this most heinous of culinary creations. They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

SkyTwo
05-06-2007, 05:00 AM
Anything involving organ meat takes the case as far as I'm concerned. Head cheese, scrapple-- there must be huge piles of them on Hell's buffet.

GroobySteven
05-06-2007, 05:01 AM
Blood pudding! :puke

Is this the same as Black Pudding? Which is incredible and one of life's luxuries. Pigblood & some grain, boiled - the grilled or fried.

Perfect with Bacon, Egg, Sausage and Heinz Beans!
seanchai

GroobySteven
05-06-2007, 05:03 AM
"Worst culinary creation of all time."

Practically anything the USA has given us to eat ... with the exception of soul food and creole ... they get a pass on ribs also but they didn't invent them.

seanchai

kalina
05-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Scrapple :)

NadiaUSA
05-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Anything with chemicals in it. Artifical sweetners, fertilizers, pesticides, antibiotics, hormones and artificial preservatives.

TheOne1
05-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Practically anything the USA has given us to eat ... with the exception of soul food and creole ... they get a pass on ribs also but they didn't invent them.

seanchai

usa is just a melting pot for all cultures...we have no food to give. PR doesn't count cause they are commonwealth

GroobySteven
05-06-2007, 06:27 AM

seanchai

usa is just a melting pot for all cultures...we have no food to give. PR doesn't count cause they are commonwealth

Oh, contrare! The US has given us - the hamburger & the bacon double cheeseburger, the hashbrown, the chicken mcnugget, the twinkie (deepfried or au natural), the taco salad (a salad without any nutrition apart from saturated fat), the nacho plate (not Mexican but from AZ), pizza with the rim filled with some cheese substance ... need I go on?

seanchai

TheOne1
05-06-2007, 06:33 AM

seanchai

Oh, contrare! The US has given us - the hamburger & the bacon double cheeseburger, the hashbrown, the chicken mcnugget, the twinkie (deepfried or au natural), the taco salad (a salad without any nutrition apart from saturated fat), the nacho plate (not Mexican but from AZ), pizza with the rim filled with some cheese substance ... need I go on?

seanchai

go on...please

chefmike
05-06-2007, 06:59 AM
gefilte fish

whatsupwithat
05-06-2007, 07:01 AM

seanchai

says the man from England...

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-06-2007, 07:12 AM
anytime I'm at a West Indian restaurant and someone orders the penis of a cow I frown in disgust

francisfkudrow
05-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Scrapple :)

Amen sister Kalina. We Pennsylvanians are familiar with the horrors of scrapple!

chefmike
05-06-2007, 07:24 AM
BBQ is one of the most unique foods in the US. Every region of the US has it's own interpretation...even noted french chef Paul Bocuse loves our BBQ. I myself prefer the vinegary Carolina styles.

And good BBQ is not created by amateurs...it is an art-form...

GroobySteven
05-06-2007, 07:25 AM

seanchai

Black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, Stottie cake, Eccles cake, steak and kidney pies, fish and chips, beef wellington, rhubarb crumble, eels and mash, prawn cocktail crisps, chicken tikka massala (and practically all modern Indian food including Balti), roast swan, kedgeree ...

:P

whatsupwithat
05-06-2007, 07:30 AM

seanchai

Black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, Stottie cake, Eccles cake, steak and kidney pies, fish and chips, beef wellington, rhubarb crumble, eels and mash, prawn cocktail crisps, chicken tikka massala (and practically all modern Indian food including Balti), roast swan, kedgeree ...

Chicken Tikka Massala...the empire is taking credit for that now, too? :P

/love tikka massala

4star4
05-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Before I list the foods I dislike the most, I think it would be fun to mention my favorites to see if anyone agrees with me:
1: Pickled herring w/colby jack cheese and Ritz crackers.
2: Prime rib, cooked medium.
3: Oyster stew!
4: Turtles (the candy) And I usually don't even like sweets.
5: Chocolate milk; Nestle Quick is soooo good, but the chocolate syurp will do, in a pinch.

Ok, as far as foods I just can't stomach:

1: Tater tot hotdish - My Grandma made it all the time. I told her (in a round about way) that I didn't really care for it. So she called me one day and said she made tater tot hotdish for me -- without the tater tots. But that was the only part I liked!!!!
2: Horseradish
3: Split pea soup
4: Tomatoes (I want so much to like tomatoes, they look so good, but i just can't do it).

GroobySteven
05-06-2007, 08:42 AM

seanchai

Chicken Tikka Massala...the empire is taking credit for that now, too? :P

/love tikka massala

Most Indian food we eat in restaurants today were created/adapted by the Indian population in the UK. Apparantely, the food is so popular back in India that they've opened restaurants with "British style Indian food".

It's a bit like how the US really invented pizza - and not Italy - but it was Italian-Americans - or how Spaghetti Carbonara was created for the GI's in Italy during WW2 to use ingredients they would be familiar with - cheese, egg and ham/bacon.

seanchai

MacShreach
05-06-2007, 11:27 AM
With all due respect to my many French friends, IMO the most repulsive culinary creation I have ever had to thole was Andouilletes, or tripe puddings. The worst is they think it's a great delicacy and they watch you eat it making encouraging noises........

Andouillettes are made from the large intestine and stomach of a pig, and are reputed to have been invented in Ancient Gaul. Not all Celtic ideas were good ones, then.

This dish even has its own website. True. (But it's still AWFUL!)

http://www.andouillettes.com/

iloveshemales77
05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Andouillettes!!! Properly made, served with choucroute (Sauerkraut to you Americans) and a bit of mustard. Delicious yum, love it! With a side order of black pudding, the best hangover cure!

IMO the single most disgusting dish in creation (made by the Brits who else) is...

Christmas Pudding!!! Yuk, I had to puke when I was made to eat it at my parents friends one boxing day in Perthsire 20 years ago. Needless to say my parents were mortified!

LG
05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

One word: Surstromming

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/Surstr%C3%B6mming.jpg/250px-Surstr%C3%B6mming.jpg

Never tried it, never will.

But any food that has to be eaten without inhaling and is banned on some of the world's major airlines has to be rated as one of the worst.

Surströmming (sour herring) is a northern Swedish delicacy consisting of fermented Baltic herring. Surströmming is sold in cans, which when opened release a strong smell. Because of the smell, the dish is often eaten outdoors. However, opening the can under water somewhat lessens the smell, as well as keeping the person opening it from getting soaked in brine, as the fermentation often builds up a considerable pressure inside the can.

In April 2006, several major airlines (such as Air France and British Airways) banned the fish citing that the cans the fish come in can be classified as potentially explosive due to the fact that they are pressurised. The sale of fish was subsequently discontinued in Stockholm's international airport.

Those who produce the fish have called the airline's decision "culturally illiterate," claiming that it is a "myth that the tinned fish can explode."

However, they did admit the fish can emit a foul smell. But that alone, they argue, would not be enough to ban sale of the fish.

MacShreach
05-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Andouillettes!!! Properly made, served with choucroute (Sauerkraut to you Americans) and a bit of mustard. Delicious yum, love it! With a side order of black pudding, the best hangover cure!
One man's meat.....LOL (But shuuuddderrr)

IMO the single most disgusting dish in creation (made by the Brits who else) is...

Christmas Pudding!!! Yuk, I had to puke when I was made to eat it at my parents friends one boxing day in Perthsire 20 years ago. Needless to say my parents were mortified!

Seconded. I get given them every year, have to lie about how good they were and then chuck 'em in the bin (finally) in November just as the new batch of the evil little bastards arrives....

MacShreach
05-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, I remember having a sheep's-brains omelette in a restaurant in Spain (I was promised faithfully it was the house special and I just had to try it.) (What I've done for women just don't bear thinking about.)

Anyway that did actually produce the involuntary boak reaction, much to the amusement of my companion.....You know I'd forgotten about that, why did you remind me?

Oh yeah and there's that Icelandic dried fish......Nonononononononononononono I don't wanna go there....

iloveshemales77
05-06-2007, 01:42 PM
ohhh... pan-fried brains, in parsley and a nice little Chianti! smacking my lips!!!

"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing. Love your suit!" :-)

Quinn
05-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Alright, I may have a new submission – though, admittedly, I haven't actually tried this one. I came across it in an on-line article this morning: Peruvian frog juice.

What's Peruvian Frog Juice? Well, it's everything you might imagine and more. That's right; it's a blended drink that essentially consists of putting frogs in a blender:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18494880/

I would still take it over a cucumber sandwich though :D

-Quinn

LG
05-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Alright, I may have a new submission – though, admittedly, I haven't actually tried this one. I came across it in an on-line article this morning: Peruvian frog juice.

What's Peruvian Frog Juice? Well, it's everything you might imagine and more. That's right; it's a blended drink that essentially consists of putting frogs in a blender:

-Quinn

That's just gross. I'm not sure if it's any more gross than bat's blood (still popular in Asia, where it is apparently believed to have medicinal qualities), live monkey's brains (available in China) or live lobster sashimi (apparently also available in the US), but it's still pretty gross.

Although it reminded me of an old Python routine:

Praline: Next we have number four, 'crunchy frog'.
Milton: Ah, yes.
Praline: Am I right in thinking there's a real frog in here?
Milton: Yes. A little one.
Praline: What sort of frog?
Milton: A dead frog.
Praline: Is it cooked?
Milton: No.
Praline: What, a raw frog?
Milton: We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose.
Praline: That's as maybe, it's still a frog.
Milton: What else?
Praline: Well don't you even take the bones out?
Milton: If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy would it?

alyss_heart
05-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Poi.

I fear it.

EdelweissFan
05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Mopani worms, a South African delicacy.

Let me say first of all that in my travels in Africa and Asia, I have eaten many strange things, almost all of them delicious. Contrary to what you might think, most African dishes are basically rich stews -- very spicy in the West, and more mild and savory in the east and south -- served over some starch like rice (west) or a kind of grits (east and south). They are not particularly exotic. I even enjoyed "skop", half a head of a sheep peering face up in broth.

South Africa has a few restaurants that specialize in exotic foods from their past -- ostrich steaks, kudu and the like, and they are also pretty good.

But one appetizer, mopani worms, was probably the single most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. They are dried big black catapillers that live in mopani trees. When you bite into them, green goo oozes out.

Now you can buy them by the bag:

hondarobot
05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Anyone in this thread knocking American cuisine as a whole is completely insane. America gave the world chili, the bowl of red, and that's all I have to say on that subject.

As far as the worst food of all time, I happen to know exactly what it is and have had the misfortune to be, as far as I know, one of only two people on earth to have actually sampled it.

It was a new brand of Buffalo BBQ potato chips that showed up in one of our vending machines at work. I tried a chip, and as soon as the damn thing hit my tongue I had the urge to puke, run for a bottle of water, and then pass out and forget the whole incident. Instead I just spit it out. A co-worker who I was playing cards with at the time couldn't believe it could be that bad, so he tried one. He had the same reaction.

I never saw another bag of those chips in any of the machines again. I'll never forget it though. It was that bad.

LG
05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Mopani worms, a South African delicacy... probably the single most disgusting thing I have ever eaten. They are dried big black catapillers that live in mopani trees. When you bite into them, green goo oozes out.
Now you can buy them by the bag:

Wow! They come in a bag? And look, they're sun-dried, salted and ready to eat. Kind of like peanuts- the perfect cocktail snack.

:D

But here is a question to everyone- Is there anything you would not try even once?

francisfkudrow
05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I like how the bag of mopani worms says "Edible" at the bottom. In case you weren't convinced.

EdelweissFan
05-06-2007, 06:04 PM
If you don't like the commercial feel of "snack" mopani worms, you can go out in the rural areas and buy them wholesale.

BTW, I can't remember ever turning down anything. As a result I've had some amazing food that I would not have expected to like. Possum in Grenada (called manicoot), and porcupine in west Africa (locally called grass cutter) were among the tastiest meals I've ever eaten.

But I would turn down mopani worms if offered again.

chefmike
05-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Here's an article that you Brits (and others) might find interesting:

We should eat horse meat, says TV chef Ramsay
By David Harrison, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 10:59pm BST 05/05/2007

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/06/nhorse06.xml

Quinn
05-06-2007, 06:45 PM

-Quinn

That's just gross. I'm not sure if it's any more gross than bat's blood (still popular in Asia, where it is apparently believed to have medicinal qualities), live monkey's brains (available in China) or live lobster sashimi (apparently also available in the US), but it's still pretty gross.

Although it reminded me of an old Python routine:

Praline: Next we have number four, 'crunchy frog'.
Milton: Ah, yes.
Praline: Am I right in thinking there's a real frog in here?
Milton: Yes. A little one.
Praline: What sort of frog?
Milton: A dead frog.
Praline: Is it cooked?
Milton: No.
Praline: What, a raw frog?
Milton: We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose.
Praline: That's as maybe, it's still a frog.
Milton: What else?
Praline: Well don't you even take the bones out?
Milton: If we took the bones out it wouldn't be crunchy would it?

LOL... You have to love Monty Python. After all, "It's just a flesh wound!"

As an aside, lobster sashimi is actually really good, IMO. The tail tastes a lot better than the claws though.

-Quinn

LG
05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
As an aside, lobster sashimi is actually really good, IMO. The tail tastes a lot better than the claws though.

-Quinn

Yes, but was it still alive and squirming when it came to your table? Apparently this is actually available. I doubt I'd ever try anything still living.

Quinn
05-06-2007, 07:14 PM

-Quinn

Yes, but was it still alive and squirming when it came to your table? Apparently this is actually available. I doubt I'd ever try anything still living.

Yes, it was, but not very much -- which makes it all better, somehow.

-Quinn

TrynMilkMe
05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Spam! WTF is that sh!t anyway? Beef? Pork? Chicken lips?

BeardedOne
05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Spam! WTF is that sh!t anyway? Beef? Pork? Chicken lips?

Correct. :D

Spam actually has a bit of an odd, quasi-magical history for me. When I was bouncing between apartments in the Eastern Massachusetts area in the late 70s - early 80s I discovered a strange thing in many of the older apartments that I moved into (Many used by students of BU, BC, UMass, MIT, Wentworth, Northeastern, Emerson, etc.). On the back shelf in the pantry or kitchen of every one was a rusty-edged can of Spam. It was as though some unseen force were welcoming us into our new digs with the first repast.

Or not. :shock:

As I used to actually eat the stuff (It is one of the primary ingredients in GLOP - a mix of boxed mac 'n cheese, diced Spam, and random spices discovered around the house), I made it a point to buy a fresh can whenever I moved, so that it would be waiting on the shelf for the new tenants when they moved in. :)

"What's all this?"

"Spam"

"Spam?" <Making face of disgust>

"Do you have a can opener?"

"No"

"Then don't knock it, it comes with its own key!"

:spam

chefmike
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
I have a SPAM ballcap that I get a lot of compliments on...and I was very pleased to see Billy Bob Thornton wearing the same ballcap in a pic taken back when he was nailing A Jolie...no woman can resist it...

MacShreach
05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's an article that you Brits (and others) might find interesting:

We should eat horse meat, says TV chef Ramsay
By David Harrison, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 10:59pm BST 05/05/2007

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/05/06/nhorse06.xml

Preaching to the converted here-- I'm a big fan of horse meat. Very nice, but good quality costs.

chefmike
05-06-2007, 08:14 PM
As an American, I must admit that the idea of eating horsemeat kinda creeps me out, despite my culinary curiosity about foods that I haven't tried.

Being raised in the South, watching my sisters, and also my neices now, in riding competitions and what not...it would be thought of in the same manner as eating a dog in the US....nothing against you Koreans in our viewing audience...

SkyTwo
05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Blood pudding! :puke

Is this the same as Black Pudding? Which is incredible and one of life's luxuries. Pigblood & some grain, boiled - the grilled or fried.

Perfect with Bacon, Egg, Sausage and Heinz Beans!
seanchai

Because nothing accompanies pig's blood quite like a few more pork products. :puke

MacShreach
05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
As an American, I must admit that the idea of eating horsemeat kinda creeps me out, despite my culinary curiosity about foods that I haven't tried.

Being raised in the South, watching my sisters, and also my neices now, in riding competitions and what not...it would be thought of in the same manner as eating a dog in the US....nothing against you Koreans in our viewing audience...

I am a horse lover too, so I was very squeamish the first time but it is really good meat and contrary to popular misconception (at least in the UK) the horses are reared specifically for the meat in good farm conditions-- they use heavy horses, dunno what you call 'em in the US, the big agricultural horses anyway--Trait d'Auxois is the most popular eating breed where I lived in France.

The meat is quite light in colour and very flavoursome. The French (who by the way are a nation of horse-lovers) swear it's healthier than beef.

TJT
05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Vegamite.

cueball
05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Since I am going to assume that it is prefered that our vote for worst goes to some food we have actually eaten, my vote goes to Spam! It is pretty much whatever is left over at the slaughterhouse! :puke

I will admit that the fermented Baltic fish and those African worms sound like they beat Spam hands down. I would not eat either those on a bet!