PDA

View Full Version : Has "LGB" dropped the "T"?

Ecstatic
05-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, I'm not always proud to be from Massivetwoshits. We've got a good record on gay rights, but this politicizing is outrageous.

peggygee
05-05-2007, 12:56 AM
ENDA: Has "LGB" dropped the "T"? Ask HRC

By Laura Amato

Last year Joe Solmonese head of HRC Human Rights campaign declared that there would be "no hate crimes or ENDA legistlation without the Transgendered being included". Imagine my surprise then, when I came across the following article on "Radical guy". "While at a luncheon for the Stonewall Democrats in Atlanta Georgia, Guest speaker, Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) brought up the fact that he will not support a transgender inclusive ENDA without explicit language that includes stipulations to shower usage. Monica Helms, President of the Transgender American Veterans Association and board member of the Atlanta Stonewall Democrats was able to question Congressman Frank regarding his lack of support". You can download Monica's interview here. The worst part is that HRC knows about Reresentative Franks position and approves.

Another fact that isn't in the interview is that Rep Franks approved language allowing employers to improvise a "Dress Code" That would make Transition impossible for many Transgendered. This is prescribed treatment for anyone before obatining surgery. HRC considers this a small necessary concession.

I did receive an email from HRC, as I am a member, asking me to thank my Senators for their Hate Crimes sponsorship of the Transgender Inclusive Bill (and send money. It sounded great until I investigated and found that there is no Transgender inclusion in Senator Kennedy's Bill. In fact last year Kennedy said that "Transgender inclucion in the bill was a deal breaker". HRC knows about this too. Have the Transgendered HRC members been told any of this. Of course not. In fact neither bill is posted on HRC's web site in it's entirety.

Does this mean the gay community opposses us? Some do, but not all. This is HRC and Washington Politics pure and simple. They are selling the Transgendered down the river on a garbage scow. While the word Transgender could end up in both final Bills, it is just that a word without substance.

For years the Transgendered have openly campaigned for gay rights even when we were'nt always getting something out of it. They have given millions to their cause and HRC. Many of us felt thet the "T" in LGBT was an afterthought. Yet we were assured we were welcome and be supported. Still we were suspicous and always felt we would be betrayed at the last minute. Our worst fears have been realized. When was HRC going to tell us?

Barney Franks and HRC are making excuses not to support us. No pre-op Transsexual is going to shower with either gender until they are post-op. They are going to go home. What we do need are bathroom rights, as everyone has to go somewhere. Going to the men's room is a hate crime waiting to happen. Employers can easily designate one accepted bathroom for us. It is not a reason to deny us employment and not a reason to deny us Hate crimes protection. Joe Solmonese needs to get up of of his pompous derrierre and fight for the Transgendered as much as he fights for Gays, Lesbians and Bi-sexuals. He needs to make good on his promise to include us. You can bet if the shoe were on the other foot his letter to us would be a lot nastier than this one.

I have written to HRC by email three times and have not received a reply. If you are Transgendered and wish to write to them this is their address.

peggygee
05-05-2007, 03:51 AM
My concern and question is have we been sold out from
under the LGBT umbrella, if in fact we were ever under it.

BrendaQG
05-05-2007, 04:15 AM
I think we can forget about the BLG community doing anything but use us.

This would just be a resetting of the political landscape to the way it was. LGB an T being considered separate and unequal with GLB's getting a better deal in some circumstances and T's on top in other situations.

wendy48088
05-05-2007, 06:25 AM
* Deleted *

wendy48088
05-05-2007, 06:27 AM
* Deleted *

wendy48088
05-05-2007, 06:49 AM
* Deleted *

peggygee
05-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Task Force hails introduction of transgender-inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act in U.S. House of Representatives
April 24, 2007

MEDIA CONTACT:
Roberta Sklar, Director of Communications
media@theTaskForce.org

Task Force, first national organization to advocate for federal nondiscrimination legislation in 1974, plays leading role in ensuring ENDA explicitly includes transgender people

WASHINGTON, April 24 — The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Inc., applauds today’s introduction of the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would protect against workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. The measure was introduced by Reps. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), Deborah Pryce (R-Ohio), Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) and Chris Shays (R-Conn.).

ENDA would provide legal recourse to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in the 33 states that don’t currently have employment nondiscrimination laws that cover sexual orientation and to transgender people in the 42 states that do not provide protection on the basis of gender identity or expression.

The Task Force was the first national organization to advocate for federal nondiscrimination protections when it worked with then-U.S. Reps. Bella Abzug and Ed Koch, both New York Democrats, to introduce a sweeping bill in 1974. The Task Force has also played a leading role in ensuring ENDA is explicitly inclusive of transgender people. Eight years ago, the Task Force vowed to oppose the legislation if it were not inclusive, prompting criticism from some community members and allies who felt the Task Force was hindering ENDA’s progress. The Task Force has remained steadfast and partnered with transgender activists and organizations to defend and secure a transgender-inclusive ENDA and has strongly encouraged LGBT colleague organizations to do the same.

Statement by Matt Foreman, Executive Director
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

“We vowed we would not support an Employment Non-Discrimination Act that left behind the transgender members of our community. We were willing to go to the mat on this, and the measure introduced today is the direct result of that perseverance and our profound belief that equality is not to be divvied out to a select few; it is a fundamental human right for all. Today marks a critical milestone for our community and our country. For decades, a majority of the American people have supported protecting our community from discrimination. Congress needs to act, at long last, this year.”

MrsKellyPierce
05-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I can't agree with any of this. And it's one group not the whole group. Again GET YOUR 2 CENTS IN by joining the fight rather than speaking ABSURDITIES or Judging someone that has no clue on transexualism and is smart enough not to speak on it since they don't know about it. MEANING: If there is no represenative on the board for the T...trust me the T will be forgotten as well as if there were no GAY or Lesbians on the board.