PDA

View Full Version : Skype and Gizmo?!?

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Just heard about this from a friend. I wonder if this thing even works? Anyone uses it? Any feedback?

Gizmo uses your internet connection (broadband or dial-up) to make calls to other computers. With the click of a mouse, you're connected to friends, family, and colleagues anywhere on earth. It's just that simple. You talk clearly. For as long as you want. For free.

And with inexpensive add-ons like Call In and Call Out, you can talk to any telephone mobile or landline on the planet. Any phone? Yes.

http://www.gizmoproject.com/images/gizmo-sm-ear2.jpg

Features:
http://www.gizmoproject.com/images/gizmo-graphic-im.jpg

http://www.gizmoproject.com/download.php
__________________________________________________ ______________________

~Kisses.

HTG

Ecstatic
04-24-2007, 07:20 PM
VoIP: Voice over Internet Protocol. I think it sucks: one more way to be attached to the computer, and while sometimes the signal is crystal clear, other times it's so garbled you can't understand what the other guy is saying: it just keeps breaking up.

Balcanoid
04-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I don`t understand what you trying to point out, HTG?
The skype stand alone can do calls to others PCs but to
call mobile or landline, somebody got to pay for it!
To avoid payment, that Gizmo software should do some serious
hacking into the telephone system and transfer that bill you make
to somebody else....Is that a point?
Kisses, B.

crayons
04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Both are ancient and don't work that great.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I don`t understand what you trying to point out, HTG?
The skype stand alone can do calls to others PCs but to
call mobile or landline, somebody got to pay for it!
To avoid payment, that Gizmo software should do some serious
hacking into the telephone system and transfer that bill you make
to somebody else....Is that a point?
Kisses, B.

Thats's why I was asking for user reviews Balcanoid. I was thinking if they worked well that I might subscribe to one. But since there isnt much user review on either products chances are I wont! LOL ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Jericho
04-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Don't know anything about Gizmo, but, as Ebay own Skype, i wouldn't touch it with a scabby bargepole!

Balcanoid
04-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Both are ancient and don't work that great.
Look, as a user of Skype Im familiar with a hum and buzz problems, also
delayed incoming voice...but U should consider the other side of it, economic one. I`ve got many of bussines associates which using PC to PC
overseas conversation over Skype, that way thay can earn great amount of money becouse my country got only one telecommunication provider, the act that bring astronomical cost to landline overboard and overseas corversation, mobile isn`t much better solution ether...
As a compromise, it`s quite useful although I never used it to make a PC-landline calls...also its quality depends on the net bandwidth U got, just to mention...
Sorry for misunderstood your first post, HTG.

TJT
04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I've got friend who uses Skype. I've noticed some noise and some lag/dropout with it's audio processing when she calls. I suspect it's an insufficient bit rate in the interface between here computer and Skype but that's a pure guess? I'm bone ignorant when it comes to this type of telcom audio processing.

Balcanoid the attitude of your post took me back to the old phone phreak/blue box days? Nice to see the spirit is still out there.

I bought my blue box from a guy in the Bay Area via an ad in Rolling Stone in the early 70's. He and his buddy became famous for a little computer a few years later.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
04-25-2007, 06:35 PM
No problem Balcanoid. I just thought asking people on here what their experiences are as far as these two services are concern. I have a cellphone with free nationwide calling. I also got a landline with International Direct Dialing. And I already got Vonage VoIP which has free access to Canada and other countries for free and works great. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Balcanoid
04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, HTG, then we are definitely not share the same planet to live at but I`ll send a proposal to
a landline/mobile service to establish some kind of communication features you mentioned ...maybe that got them react.....in a thousand years...[shed tears]...

@TJT: as you can see, I live in your past! Need something? :)

kukm4
04-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I listen to tech radio show and there have been calls
from Uk, Germany, Autralia all calling via Skype
(might have been skypeout)
http://leoville.com/Appearances/Allan200511120
The quality was good.

I'm not sure what other factors play. You must have certin ammount of dedicated up/down stream bandwidth. I'm sure a quality USB headset/mic would also come into play.