PDA

View Full Version : Gay Marriage Evil, Abortion Terrorism: Vatican

chefmike
04-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Gay marriage evil, abortion terrorism: Vatican
Philip Pullella

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican's second-highest ranking doctrinal official on Monday forcefully branded homosexual marriage an evil and denounced abortion and euthanasia as forms of "terrorism with a human face."

The attack by Archbishop Angelo Amato, secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was the latest in a string of speeches made by either Pope Benedict or other Vatican officials as Italy considers giving more rights to gays.

In an address to chaplains, Amato said newspapers and television bulletins often seemed like "a perverse film about evil." He denounced "evils that remain almost invisible" because the media presented them as "expression of human progress."

He listed these as abortion clinics, which he called "slaughterhouses of human beings," euthanasia, and "parliaments of so-called civilized nations where laws contrary to the nature of the human being are being promulgated, such as the approval of marriage between people of the same sex ..."

Amato spoke at a time when the Vatican and Italy's powerful Roman Catholic Church are at loggerheads over plans for a highly controversial law that would give unmarried heterosexual and homosexual couples some form of legal recognition.

The Church and Catholic politicians, even some in Prime Minister Romano Prodi's centre-left coalition, see the proposed law as a Trojan Horse and say it could lead to gay marriages.

Amato, who is said to be very close to Pope Benedict, criticized the media's coverage of ethical issues.

After denouncing "abominable terrorism" such as that carried out by suicide bombers, he condemned what he called "terrorism with a human face," and accused the media of manipulating language "to hide the tragic reality of the facts."

"For example, abortion is called 'voluntary interruption of pregnancy' and not the killing of a defenseless human being, an abortion clinic is given a harmless, even attractive, name: 'centre for reproductive health' and euthanasia is blandly called 'death with dignity'," he said in his address.

Gay rights group have criticized the Pope and Catholic Church officials in the past over such comments, accusing them of interfering in Italy's domestic affairs.

Groups opposed to gay marriage and recognition of unmarried couples are planning a national rally in Rome next month.

Italy's Roman Catholic Church, set up on diocesan and parish levels, has the organizational machinery to mobilize hundreds of thousands of people. A huge turnout, which is expected, could be a major embarrassment for Prodi's government.

trish
04-23-2007, 11:36 PM
look. ever since the church invented the threat of hell to hang over the heads of non-believers...even before the inquistion threaten heretics with torture...the church itself has been a terrorist organization. even Pascal gave in to the threat of the tortures of hell, the whole wager idea is based the terrors and horrors of hell versus believing the bible is the word of god. it time to kick these terrorists in the ass. to win the war against terrorism we must kick the gods and their prophets out of heaven.

dgtlmstry
04-24-2007, 12:10 AM
The Catholic Church (and 99% of all other religions) has some nerve trying to dictate morals with it's shady (and more recent) history. They are reaching...looking for a life line, some way to hold on to their herd of sheople. More and more people are becoming aware of the fact that you do not need religion and it's dogma, to be a spiritual person. Even Science is starting to come to terms with spirituality. Tell you what Pope Benedick....stay the f*ck out of it, and keep your nose within your vatican walls.

scorpion
04-24-2007, 01:03 AM
look. ever since the church invented the threat of hell to hang over the heads of non-believers...even before the inquistion threaten heretics with torture...the church itself has been a terrorist organization. even Pascal gave in to the threat of the tortures of hell, the whole wager idea is based the terrors and horrors of hell versus believing the bible is the word of god. it time to kick these terrorists in the ass. to win the war against terrorism we must kicks the gods and their prophets out of heaven.

I couldnt have say it better myself Trish. Think about how many innocent people the men of church has pain, followd and kill. In the name of god just beacause they has been a little bit different?
Four mee is almost al religion nothing else than a old factor of power to hold the people down.
But I must also say that today do many of their organisions a very god job four the poor people specially in the 3rd world.

Caff_Racer
04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Ah! I see that the Vatican is playing the same old song as ever... some things will never change.... :sleep

odelay24
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
At least Catholicism says it's OK to be gay.

Stupid Evangelicals, trying to convert gay people to be straight, now THAT is stupid.

dgtlmstry
04-24-2007, 11:32 AM

Stupid Evangelicals, trying to convert gay people to be straight, now THAT is stupid.

Are you a Catholic? And are you excusing one sham, for another? That's what it sounds like to me....what did you say about stupid?

odelay24
04-24-2007, 12:08 PM
No church is perfect.

And Catholicism has MANY flaws. Well, the Vatican has many flaws anyway.

Things are changing though, as that article just stated. It's going to take a long time, but things will change.
The major problem at the momment is Pope Benedict, who is too much of a conservative; he doesn't even believe in echumenical dialogue!

But as soon as the next Pope comes in, there is going to be major change.

Jericho
04-24-2007, 12:36 PM

Yeah, they'll bring back the burning of witches! :P

Seriously, what makes you think the next pope will be any better?

Granted, he'll have a job to be worse, but, he could be another of gods rottweilers for all we know....Unless you've been 'hearing' voices, of course, and know something we don't? ;-)

ausbeachstyle
04-24-2007, 01:27 PM
i think you have to make your own heaven
follow your own set of rules (human rules)
christianity is a good base, but the bible is so full of shit i can't even begin
muslims i won't even mention...
I think buddhism is the only peaceful one, all the others say you will die and rot and be burned in hell if u don't believe.
True terrorism, inflicting fear...

odelay24
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Yeah, they'll bring back the burning of witches! :P

Seriously, what makes you think the next pope will be any better?

Granted, he'll have a job to be worse, but, he could be another of gods rottweilers for all we know....Unless you've been 'hearing' voices, of course, and know something we don't? ;-)

Lol, no it's just the general consensus among experts that Catholicism is going to have to change and move forward to keep it's followers.
With other denominations allowing women, and openly gay people to be ordained, they are being forced to change.
But things have been set back a bit with the election of Benedict.

dgtlmstry
04-24-2007, 01:41 PM
The Hindu's might have something to say about the Buddhist's being peaceful. (and vice versa)

Why is it so difficult to understand this simple concept:

You DO NOT need religion to be spiritual.

Those who like to talk down about spirituality without a specific religion (calling it new agey, as if it's a fad) are the brainwashed sheep that have bought the crap from their church, hook, line, and sinker.

ausbeachstyle
04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Religions have a set of teachings/laws. So if they suit you follow them.

But I like how you said you don't need religion to be spiritual that's very true.

Just one question, what do the hindus/buddhists have against each other?

dgtlmstry
04-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Religions have a set of teachings/laws. So if they suit you follow them.

But I like how you said you don't need religion to be spiritual that's very true.

Just one question, what do the hindus/buddhists have against each other?

Well Nepal, for one. The Hindu's want to keep it a "Hindu state" While the minority religions (mostly the Buddhist) want more freedom to practice their religion. So they firebomb each other, shoot each other, the usual religious garbage....

ausbeachstyle
04-24-2007, 02:17 PM
tisk tisk. I thought that they knew better -.-

chefmike
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM

Are you referring to the priesthood's penchant for buggering altar boys?